DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mistakes in the Books

But it says that Elayne learned the weave from Moghedien and it was a "discovery" for the Aes Sedai, so was this just another tidbit that Moirane knew and didn't share, or was it a mistake?
Bear in mind the Ajahs had their own secret weaves, as did many individual sisters.

Also in TEOTW, Moraine says "There hasn't been an Aes Sedai powerful enough to travel since the Time of Madness". General ignorance of Traveling or mistake?
Ignorance, most likely.

When Siuan arrives at Salidar she envies the Aes Sedai their ability to not sweat when she has her first meeting with Sheriam and the others, but in Lord of Chaos Siuan tells Egwene that not sweating has nothing to do with the power, but is rather a mind trick. So why couldn't Siuan ignore the heat before, since it had nothing to do with the power?

Dunno. Is it possible to say that it has nothing to do with the power(that is you dont channel/embrace etc) but that you need to be able to channel to be able to do the concentration trick? After all no person who cant channel in the books this far have been able to ignore heat/cold the same way as channelers. Then it would be connected to you being able to channel, but not to you wielding the power to ignore the cold/heat.

Or it could just as easily be that at that point Siuan had been run hard and fast and put away wet. She'd been stilled, run out of Tar Valon, arrested for a barn burning, was going through mental anguish not being able to reach the Source, and now being a stilled Aes Sedai she was going to have to face the Council who she knows don't respect stilled women or listen to them, and have to convince to not only go to war against other Aes Sedai, but also work them into promoting Egwene, an Accepted, to the Amrylin Seat in direct defiance of  Elaida and the White Tower. So therefore she envied the Aes Sedai who could stay calm enough to ignore the heat.

Also in TEOTW, when Perrin meets Elyas and they are running from the ravens, Elyas talks to the wolves in his mind. Yeah I know, Elyas is a Wolfbrother no big deal, but this time is different. Elyas is talking to the wolves, but Perrin knows what hes saying to them, which is contradicted later by Perrin wishing he could send messages to Elyas through his mind. The jist of what I'm saying is that Perrin shouldn't have been able to "hear" what Elyas was telling the wolves.

Again in TEOTW, the farmer who takes Rand and Mat the last few miles to Caemlyn says when they get there "The greatest city on earth." GASP?! So Randland is actually named Earth... Sounds familiar.

Absolutely, WOT is meant to take place on the planet Earth, this has never been disputed.  RJ has said all along that the present time is meant to be one of the 7 ages of the Wheel of Time.  Many of our legends come from the 3rd age and many of their legends come from our time.

The point I was trying to make is that the world Robert Jordan created has given no name, so they wouldn't be calling Caemlyn "the greatest city on earth" unless they meant its the greatest city on dirt, soil, or whatever your favorite type of ground is.

Our world isn't named "Earth" either (despite the fact that this is the colloquial use of it). It is named 'Terra'. Again: There's nothing wrong with them referring to their planet as 'Earth'.

The point I was trying to make is that the world Robert Jordan created has given no name, so they wouldn't be calling Caemlyn "the greatest city on earth" unless they meant its the greatest city on dirt, soil, or whatever your favorite type of ground is.

Since earth is not capitalized, it's not a reference to the planet.

Again in EOTW, they are in the Ways and Rand is thinking about the lack of change in their surroundings because of darkness, and he thinks "The horses might have been walking a treadmill for the change around them." Were there treadmills in Randland? I'm thinking of like the exercise machine when someone says treadmill, but maybe there was some other type of treadmill.

This is slightly off topic, but I noticed Moiraine was very often wrong when she gave her imfamous lectures about what is or is not possible. Examples include how she tells Rand after the trolloc attack on the Stone that it could not have been Sammael becuase there is no way despite his strength that he could channel his way to Tear and back to Illian within the timeframe of the attack. And yet, she already knew about Traveling since she mentioned it in the book before. Is she meant to be intentionally wrong or was this an error? Another example is she tells Rand not to channel in Falme because the damane might sense him. But women cannot sense a man channeling. Surely the Aes Sedai confronted enough men who could channel in their efforts to gentle them that they would know that they cant tell when a man is channeling. So why does she say that? Can she lie?

Didn't she mean [iIRC] that he didn't have the strength to move that many trollocs? It takes a seriously huge ammount of power to open a "gateway" that could, instantly, move a lot of people/things. In one of the books Rand moves a lot of people and has to use an angreal to be able to draw the power needed for the task.

Besides this I agree that there are some interesting errors in the books. Like the character Hurin who can feel and smell evil and evil doings like it is "the old times come again" and suddenly in the third book loses some of his talents. Wierd. ;)

Well if I remember right, the Trollocs that came into the Stone were on barges and wagons covered with tarp... So Sammael had no need to move them with traveling or portal stones. If you are talking about the Trollocs that came to the rescue, I have no idea, maybe the Forsaken who ordered it just popped up and commandeered some trollocs. Shadowspawn cannot survive passing through a gateway though, so they werent Traveled in, and the nearest Portal Stone is like 50 miles away.

Well if I remember right, the Trollocs that came into the Stone were on barges and wagons covered with tarp... So Sammael had no need to move them with traveling or portal stones. If you are talking about the Trollocs that came to the rescue, I have no idea, maybe the Forsaken who ordered it just popped up and commandeered some trollocs. Shadowspawn cannot survive passing through a gateway though, so they werent Traveled in, and the nearest Portal Stone is like 50 miles away.

Ok, I was probably thinking of the part in book ? where Moiraine and the rest flees Ilian after having found out who really rules there. Perhaps I will remember more after the next re-read. :) It is amazing to have 11 novels that you can read and read and read. Since 1995 these books have followed me. :)

Archived