DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The nine horse hitch inn??? (Spoiler 5 book)

Silmarien

Hi guys, sorry if this was already asked, i searched in the forum but i didn't find it, so delete or move this topic if it's not in the right place!

Well, in the italian forum we're getting mad trying to understand what is it the double meaning of this name.

Siuan blushed looking at the name of this inn and we don't understand why.

The only thing i can think is that in english can sounds like "The nine who*** hitch/itch" and in this case i can get the meaning  ;D

Otherwise i really don't know. In italian doesn't have any malicious meaning and the translator (that's really really bad   >:() didn't try to give the double meaning.

Thanks  ;)

yeah i don't get it either.

but i took it as that it has a double meaning in randland but not in our world.  just like 'blood and ashes' for example, doesn't sound too bad to us, but it's quite bad to people in randland.

Yeah, I caught the other one that's mentioned in the chapter, "The Wagon Seat" (the waggin' seat), but not the Nine Horse Hitch. Of course, I still don't know what easing the badger means.  :-\

Oh, my.  :o I never got either of those and I'm infamous among my friends for my dirty mind and risque puns. Most likely, I missed it because it was in print and printed puns usually slip by me.

As to "easing the badger", I don't know what it means but but I've always had the sense it was quite naughty. Let's see. Badgers live in burrows. The sign shows a man carrying a silver shovel and dancing with a badger, as if he might be about to dig a burrow. "Easing" sometimes refers to carefully inserting something into or removing something from a space (e.g. easing a car into a tight parking spot). Um... Wow. I'd never really analysed that before. I feel a little dirty now.

Yeah, I caught the other one that's mentioned in the chapter, "The Wagon Seat" (the waggin' seat), but not the Nine Horse Hitch. Of course, I still don't know what easing the badger means.  :-\

Oh, my.  :o I never got either of those and I'm infamous among my friends for my dirty mind and risque puns. Most likely, I missed it because it was in print and printed puns usually slip by me.

As to "easing the badger", I don't know what it means but but I've always had the sense it was quite naughty. Let's see. Badgers live in burrows. The sign shows a man carrying a silver shovel and dancing with a badger, as if he might be about to dig a burrow. "Easing" sometimes refers to carefully inserting something into or removing something from a space (e.g. easing a car into a tight parking spot). Um... Wow. I'd never really analysed that before. I feel a little dirty now.

I just vaguely think of them as dirty and move on, easing the badger was an obvious one though, so I realized what it was implying before I moved on.

I just vaguely think of them as dirty and move on, easing the badger was an obvious one though, so I realized what it was implying before I moved on.

Then it should have been "Easing the Beaver."

Although...with the gender differences such as they are in Randland, maybe badger is the better term.  :P

A horse hitch is where you "park" horses, right? So a nine horse hitch is a hitching post that can have (or has) nine horses on it. I always thought that that could be a metaphor (not so subtle, if there's a similarly-thinking sign out front) for, essentially, a woman. Think about it. I would go into more detail, but I think you get the point.

A horse hitch is where you "park" horses, right? So a nine horse hitch is a hitching post that can have (or has) nine horses on it. I always thought that that could be a metaphor (not so subtle, if there's a similarly-thinking sign out front) for, essentially, a woman. Think about it. I would go into more detail, but I think you get the point.

I though i understood but more i read and more i don't understand.

What do you mean? There are many translations and i don't know what it's right.

What is it "waggin"?

And why it should be "Easing the beaver"? ::)

I think it refers to the hitch of a wagon, not a railing outside of a saloon. Min thinks to herself that she's seen 8 horse hitches and 10 horse hitches, but never 9. That makes me think that hitches are always even, and horse teams are usually even, so long as there's more than one.

Silmarien, waggin' is a contraction for "wagging," like what a dog does with it's tail when it's excited. It is another way of referring to a shaking butt. See Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie"  video for a demonstration of a waggin' seat if you need further explanation.

Concerning the term beaver, it is a euphemism for female genitalia.

I think it refers to the hitch of a wagon, not a railing outside of a saloon. Min thinks to herself that she's seen 8 horse hitches and 10 horse hitches, but never 9. That makes me think that hitches are always even, and horse teams are usually even, so long as there's more than one.

Silmarien, waggin' is a contraction for "wagging," like what a dog does with it's tail when it's excited. It is another way of referring to a shaking butt. See Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie"  video for a demonstration of a waggin' seat if you need further explanation.

Concerning the term beaver, it is a euphemism for female genitalia.

Thanks Ben!

Hunter actually it really seems a phallic sign  ;D

The only one that made sense to me would, if you you hooked up nine horses, to wagon, in rows of two, the 9th horse at the front would give it a bit of a phallic appearance. See below.

More likely, "The Nine Horse Hitch" is a pun on "The Nine Whores Itch", "itch" being a euphemism for sexual desire or randiness. The tavern is telling passers-by that they have a large number of aroused and available women (i.e. women with an itch in need of scratching). Whether it's a bordello or just the Randlandian equivalent of bosom bar, I couldn't tell you but the proprietress did make me think of Miss Kitty from "Gunsmoke". I didn't realize the Long Branch Saloon sold more than drinks or that "Miss Kitty" was a pun related to that until I was in my 20s. Actually, I didn't realize the related pun in the saloon's name until just now.  :o Good grief. There goes a little more of the innocence of my childhood.

I do like how Siuan Sanche, who was raised in rough part of a city as sexually open as Tear, is much more shocked by such things than Moiraine Damodred, who was raised in the royal palace of one of the most sexually repressed countries in Randland.

The only one that made sense to me would, if you you hooked up nine horses, to wagon, in rows of two, the 9th horse at the front would give it a bit of a phallic appearance. See below.

More likely, "The Nine Horse Hitch" is a pun on "The Nine Whores Itch", "itch" being a euphemism for sexual desire or randiness. The tavern is telling passers-by that they have a large number of aroused and available women (i.e. women with an itch in need of scratching). Whether it's a bordello or just the Randlandian equivalent of bosom bar, I couldn't tell you but the proprietress did make me think of Miss Kitty from "Gunsmoke". I didn't realize the Long Branch Saloon sold more than drinks or that "Miss Kitty" was a pun related to that until I was in my 20s. Actually, I didn't realize the related pun in the saloon's name until just now.  :o Good grief. There goes a little more of the innocence of my childhood.

I do like how Siuan Sanche, who was raised in rough part of a city as sexually open as Tear, is much more shocked by such things than Moiraine Damodred, who was raised in the royal palace of one of the most sexually repressed countries in Randland.

`

In the 19th century there were several jokes/ references two odd-numbered horse hithces, and they in fact were usually a refence to male genitalia. The "odd" lead horse being one that led the rest of the team astray.

Haha...to me, the itch would indicate crabs or the like, and I would avoid the inn out of suspicion that it was rife with bed bugs.

Moiraine was such a naughty tramp.  :o

Haha...to me, the itch would indicate crabs or the like, and I would avoid the inn out of suspicion that it was rife with bed bugs.

Moiraine was such a naughty tramp.  :o

You know those Cairienin: very proper in public but, once they get behind closed doors....RAWR!

Naughty tramp? There is a goodly chance she is still a virgin. In a new spring, Cadsuane tells her that she should take as much care chosing her first warder as she should choosing her first man. In tGH, or one of the other books, in a PoV of hers, that she had never considered lying with Lan. Combine the natural reluctance to sleep with another man while bonded to a warder, and well ...

Naughty tramp? There is a goodly chance she is still a virgin. In a new spring, Cadsuane tells her that she should take as much care chosing her first warder as she should choosing her first man. In tGH, or one of the other books, in a PoV of hers, that she had never considered lying with Lan. Combine the natural reluctance to sleep with another man while bonded to a warder, and well ...

I was joking, mb Mcpatrick.  ;)

How about a 9 inch horse
Don't be silly, everyone knows horses are measured in hands.
I think he wanted indicate something else 1591.gif
They're still measured in hands. People who measure horses are a funny breed, with many strange preferences.

Anyway, this discussion is becoming interesting, u can learn a lot of things  ;D
Quite possibly more than you want to know, by the time all's said and done.

How about a 9 inch horse
Don't be silly, everyone knows horses are measured in hands.
I think he wanted indicate something else 1591.gif
They're still measured in hands. People who measure horses are a funny breed, with many strange preferences.

Anyway, this discussion is becoming interesting, u can learn a lot of things  ;D
Quite possibly more than you want to know, by the time all's said and done.

LOL yes as we said "the damage is done"  ;D

Anyway, i thought English/American people knew exactly the meaning of this Inn and that was just a problem of our horrible translations, but knowing there are many possible meaning let me think that maybe RJ put this name with a fals double meaning on purpose to let us getting mad trying to find out the real meaning  :D :D :D

Archived