DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Forgotten Weaves

I had a thought reading some posts, I have actually been thinking on this for a while - may have already come up if so, sorry.

I was thinking that with all the sisters and ajah's secret weaves - like blaefire (known to moiraine and some others) or mirror of mists? (the thing moiraine uses in Baerlon?) was that 'forgotten'?.

Any Way with all those 'secret' weaves. How much of the forgotten knowledge is actually completely forgotten. The only weave i can think of that we have seen no evidence of occuring is flying (if it even was possible in the AoL - no mention in the guide that i can remember).

So the question stands if all AS share there weaves, how much will be known, and are the Black thought there own secret ajah weaves by the DO or know they are free the forsaken?

Guest cwestervelt

If by a pooling of knowledge you include the Windfinders and the Wise Ones, I think you are right. Much of the lost knowledge would still be there. An example is Travelling. Until Egwene figured out how to do it, it was considered a lost Talent. We later find out that at least some of the Aiel Wise ones must know how to do it. Sorilea knew taught it to Cadsuane. Some other Aiel Wise One had to have taught Sorilea since, being to weak to make it work, she would have had a very difficult time figuring it out herself.

Mirror of Mists (Mask of Mirrors?) is a generally known weave in the Tower. The Salidar embassy use the same weave to try and impress Rand. Since that was a mixed group of Aes Sedai it rules it out as being a secret weave.

The only truly forgotten weaves appear to be those that hide the ability to Channel and maybe to alter the appearance of the channeller. I remember something that tells me there were other Aes Sedai who knew how to weave disguises though. Even the inversion of weaves was likely known to some, like Moiraine. She was notorious for the "tricks" she could do with her pendant, and many, maybe most, of them wouldn't have been effective without inversion.

I'm interesting in how many weaves actually were forgotten, or do they just believe things have been lost because over time legends have grown up and what they believed Aes Sedai could do with the One Power has been completely distorted? Like flying. Could they? Or was that just something that was built up over time by people that knew little of the One Power?

Sonas3.jpg

If by a pooling of knowledge you include the Windfinders and the Wise Ones' date=' I think you are right. Much of the lost knowledge would still be there. An example is Travelling. Until Egwene figured out how to do it, it was considered a lost Talent. We later find out that at least some of the Aiel Wise ones must know how to do it. Sorilea knew taught it to Cadsuane. Some other Aiel Wise One had to have taught Sorilea since, being to weak to make it work, she would have had a very difficult time figuring it out herself.

[/quote']

Egwene taught the wise ones travelling as part of her toh towards them for learning about TAR.

J

Guest cwestervelt

Jedi, where do you get that Egwene taught them? It wasn't until after she left them that she ascertained that she had in fact worked out how to Travel. The Wise Ones refused to have anything to do with entering Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh, so she never told them how she thought it could be done. It wasn't until after that, when she arrived in Salidar that she tried altering the weave to go from one place to another. The knowledge was then deemed crucial to the War against Elaida and no non-Salidar Aes Sedai were to be taught the weave. Sorilea never had the oportunity to learn it from Egwene, and if she had, she would never have passed the information on to another Aes Sedai.

Guest Winespring Brother

Egwene continued to meet with the Wise Ones after she had left for Salidar in tel'aran'rhiod. That is where she told them how to travel. I can't remember where but there is definitely a section where someone mentions her teaching the Wise Ones. That is also where they learnt to form circles.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the Wise Ones knew how to do it before, especially the Shaido, they would have used it.

Jedi, where do you get that Egwene taught them? It wasn't until after she left them that she ascertained that she had in fact worked out how to Travel. The Wise Ones refused to have anything to do with entering Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh, so she never told them how she thought it could be done. It wasn't until after that, when she arrived in Salidar that she tried altering the weave to go from one place to another. The knowledge was then deemed crucial to the War against Elaida and no non-Salidar Aes Sedai were to be taught the weave. Sorilea never had the oportunity to learn it from Egwene, and if she had, she would never have passed the information on to another Aes Sedai.

I urge you to reread winter's heart prologue, or at least look at it on wot encyclopedia...it's there. If you look at Wot Encyclo, pay attention to footnote

4: This confirms how Sorilea knew Traveling so she could teach Cadsuane. (TPoD,Ch12)

That goes along with this sentence:

Elayne notes that Amys must have Traveled from Cairhien. Egwene has been teaching the Wise Ones in payment for their lessons on Tel'aran'rhiod.

So that's where I got it :P

J

Guest cwestervelt

I don't know, it's possible, but I really don't see Sorilea passing it on to Cadsuane if she got it from Egwene.

I don't know' date=' it's possible, but I really don't see Sorilea passing it on to Cadsuane if she got it from Egwene.[/quote']

Read the book again...it's right there. Sorilea knows somethign is up with Cads; she's simply employing leverage, but as I said it's all there in the books.

In fact, when the wise ones are leaving with Avi, they remark about all the things they learned in the wetlands....walking leagues in a step, they say, imagine...

So, it's straight up confirmed.

J

Archived