DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fantasia Movie of the Week

twinflower

Movie of the Week: Twinnie's Double Feature!  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Movie of the Week: Twinnie's Double Feature!

• I have seen Fantasia.
    • I have seen Fantasia 2000.
    • I liked Fantasia.
    • I liked Fantasia 2000.

In 1940 when you went to see this film, “ It was to be an event, complete with reserved seating and fancy dress. Special program books were prepared for the film, featuring production artwork and photographs, dedications …, and the credits and synopsis for each segment. Each theater was rigged with 30 or more speakers, all lined around the perimeter of the ceiling, to provide the full Fantasound experience. The format of the film follows that of a concert rather than a motion picture. Besides the Deems Taylor narration passages, a proper presentation of Fantasia features a 15-minute intermission, which falls between The Rite of Spring and the Meet the Soundtrack segment.  The film opened in New York City on November 13, 1940, and was shown in 12 theatres nation wide!

*grins*  For the Kin, you won’t need any reserved seating, or fancy dress this week!  Pull on your jammies,  make some popcorn and  let’s jump into the fantasticle world’s of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 for this week’s edition of The Movie of the Week!!

Leopold Stokowski suggested the title Fantasia, which literally means "A medley of familiar themes, with variations and interludes",[8] which became the film's final title.

Now I must admit..I thought that the word fantasia was one Disney made up to call his film, because of the fantasy and imagination the movie holds! LOL  Anyone else make that mistake too?

We are kicking the week off with a poll to see how many have actually seen either of the Fantasia movies!  The questions are pretty self-explanatory..although you might want to comment on why you do or do not like the movies!

And for this first day a little quiz!  All the answers are easily avaialble on Widapedia..but try to come up with them off the top of your head!  You’ll be surprised at how familiar you are with this film, even if you have not seen it!!  I certainly was!

And to kick things off..a Quiz:

1.  Which Disney star was featured in a segment of Fantasia as his “comeback”?

2.  Which of the following were critised and became controversial in the original Fantasia?

a.  Sexual Discrimination

b.  Racial Slur

c.  Nudity.

3.  How many releases and revisions of Fantasia have there been?

4.  Why and when did Disney advertise Fantasia as a “trip-film”?

5.  What were the three titles of Fantasia 2009?

6.  Fantasia 2000 was the film in the Disney family of films to use this  process, even BEFORE it was used in later feature films.  What is that process or if not the name the movies it became used in?

7.  Name three songs from the Fantasia movies.

8.  What instrument does NOT appear in the original  [i/]Fantasia[/i], but was featured prominently in Fantasia 2000?

9.  The Fantasia movie grew out of a regular Disney Feature.  What is the name of  it?

10.Fantasia was the third release of Walt Disney studios.  What are the first two and the follow up to Fantasia?

11. Which two famed composers and conductors, conducted the music for the Fantasia films?

12. Which character that was in BOTH Fantasia films became a logo for Disney?

And from youtube, a couple of my favorite sequences!

Flamigoes

Maybe we should make the official Kin toy the yoyo…

And

Steadfast Tin Soldier

*grins*  Enjoy them both!  The first is the shortest piece of ALL the Fantasia segments, and the second about normal!  I will be sharing others during the week, but feel free to add your favorites as you post also!!

I do love these movies. I have seen them so many times.

My favorite song is Rhapsody in Blue. 

1. Which Disney star was featured in a segment of Fantasia as his “comeback”? Mickey Mouse

2. Which of the following were criticised and became controversial in the original Fantasia?

b. Racial Slur

c. Nudity.

3. How many releases and revisions of Fantasia have there been? 12

4. Why and when did Disney advertise Fantasia as a “trip-film”? 1969, Students would take drugs and watch the movie.

5. What were the three titles of Fantasia 2009? Fantasia Continued, Fantasia 1999,  Fantasia 2000

6. Fantasia 2000 was the film in the Disney family of films to use this process, even BEFORE it was used in later feature films. What is that process or if not the name the movies it became used in? CGI-rendered

7. Name three songs from the Fantasia movies. Pines of Rome,  The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Rhapsody in Blue

8. What instrument does NOT appear in the original [i/]Fantasia[/i], but was featured prominently in Fantasia 2000? piano

9. The Fantasia movie grew out of a regular Disney Feature. What is the name of it? Silly Symphonies

10.Fantasia was the third release of Walt Disney studios. What are the first two and the follow up to Fantasia? Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) · Pinocchio (1940) · Fantasia (1940) · Dumbo (1941)

11. Which two famed composers and conductors, conducted the music for the Fantasia films? Leopold Stokowski, James Levine

12. Which character that was in BOTH Fantasia films became a logo for Disney? Mickey Mouse

4. Why and when did Disney advertise Fantasia as a “trip-film”? 1969, Students would take drugs and watch the movie.

The Disney folk never DID advertise it as such. I"m not sure what wiki has to say about it but... I was there ;). My senior class trip in year 68/69 was to "Didneyland". They didn't even allow mustaches! Disney was a very very clean cut outfit and were very strict. I had friends in high school in LA who during the summer did characters at Anaheim, Seven Dwarfs etc. For those who worked there, it was short hair cuts and no facial hair. 

My folks took me to the park the year it opened and every year I lived in or near LA until I was in my 40's and moved back south, I went at least once. From 66 to 70 I went dozens of times. New Years at Disneyland was very cool back in the day. After normal hours they'd open up for folks who had a New Years pass and there were no tickets taken all rides were open. That was the genesis for how it's done now. Before there were A,B,C,D and "E" tickets. The Matterhorn and Pirates of the Caribbean for instance were both E Tickets. Thus the old phrase when something was very cool, "That was an E Ticket Ride"... and I can recall using that phrase in a very un-PG13 like fashion... 8)

NOOOOW.. as for watching the movie in an "unbalanced state"? Ohhhh yeah...

The Night on Bald Mountain sequence has always been my favorite, that and the sequence just before it.

I have seen both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000. I have to admit that I like the first one best! My favorite sequence is The Nutcracker Suite. :D I'll let you post that one, since I'm pretty sure it's one you were planning on sharing, anyway. *grins* ;)

And I agree with what Torrie said in her answers to the quiz. *nods*

Hi everyone!  Go ahead and pull up a chair if you want...

Mostly I want to apologize!  I really dropped the ball on my Movie of the Week!!  Which is a shame because I think Fantaisa and Fantasia 2000 are awesome movies! 

Maybe because the concept of them was unique..an ongoing and progressive project to reflect animation and music and how they complimented each other in an artistic medium!  Because that was Walt's original idea!  To make Fantasia a continuing project, with a new release every few years.  Each new film would have one piece from the movie before it, and then add to the collection with the new movie!There is no doubt we can see the chanages and growth of the animation styles and creativity with the release of Fantasia 2000 and a broadening of the musical score to include jazz.  Who knows..future projects may have classic rock or R&B or even Rap entering the pantheon! 

In any case..I do have two things to add to this last day of my movies week!

First:

COLORING PAGES!  LOL

http://www.coloring.es/pages/fantasia/

or

http://alexsfunplace.com/ADF/coloringbook/fantasia.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND..

The final project I thought of for this week's movie was to create our own "Kintasia" cd!! 

If any and everyone would please post thier favorite Disney tune, I will compile it into a CD for the Kinsters to remember our DIsney month in 2009! 

SO please tell us your favorite Disney song..from the movies or shows! 

*grins*

and my first choice is:

Supercalifragilistic from the movie Mary Poppins!

Now what is yours?

(We will collect songs until I get back around June 7th!, BUt please post your songs as soon as possible so I can find them!  Thanks)

and again..sorry for not having a box office smash with my movie of the week!  However!  Kia is up next with a wonderful show to share!!  Have fun!

Twinnie!~

**giggle**

Disney songs bring back so many childhood memories.

One of my favorites is Robin Hood - Oo-De-Lally

Oh, and just cause my husband wanted y'all to know Jungle Book - Bear Necessities is his favorite.

Archived