DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sentient Terangreal?

mb

I think however that we can all agree that there is no such thing as a sentient Terangreal. There may however be sentient ter'angreal.

..... what does that even mean?

There is no such thing as a Terangreal. It is not treated as a proper noun and so it can't be capitalized, it's a foreign word and so must be italicized and there is an apostrophe between ter and angreal, ter'angreal.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
-the terangreal that shows fears of the person entering (White Tower's 3 arches)

-the terangreal that shows possible futures of the person entering (Rhuidean's 3 arches)

-the terangreal that shows history in perspective of the ancestors of the person entering (Glass Columns)

I was implying a question:  How do different people experience different things with those 3?

Sentient things are capable of perception.  Different experiences for different people, that could be an indicator of perception.

The fear shower reads thoughts, that seems unlikely.  Nynaeve & Egwene seemed to be unaware of their experiences before they entered.

I was implying a question:  How do different people experience different things with those 3?

Sentient things are capable of perception.  Different experiences for different people, that could be an indicator of perception.

The fear shower reads thoughts, that seems unlikely.  Nynaeve & Egwene seemed to be unaware of their experiences before they entered.

The Wheel "chooses" the fates that seems best. The Wheel is probably not self-aware. The ter'angreal could work in a similar way, or they could be connected to the Wheel in some magic way.

-the terangreal that shows fears of the person entering (White Tower's 3 arches)

-the terangreal that shows possible futures of the person entering (Rhuidean's 3 arches)

-the terangreal that shows history in perspective of the ancestors of the person entering (Glass Columns)

There are a couple of reasons why I think that the fear shower makes a person experience thoughts.  One is the fact that Nynaeve made the arch come back.  Nynaeve had no real trust for Aes Sedai at this point, so what they told her wasn't as firm and unquestionable.  I think this doubt of the "rules" in her thoughts made it possible to do something that as far as the Aes Sedai know, can't be done.  Or in other words, if the person going through "knows" something to be true, then it is true, but if they think it is a possibility then it is only a possibility. 

Another reason I think it shows what a person expects to see is the original testing of the device.  Two women went through warded and aware and got burned out.  Exactly what they thought would happen messing around with a ter'angreal that they don't know how to work.  When someone went through with no warding and didn't remember, she saw her fears.  Yet going in she was scared and she had to have been thinking about what was the worse she would experience. 

My last reason for now comes about when I try to decide why it was made originally.  It was most likely made in the Age of Legends, before any war and bad stuff was happening.  Why would they feel the need to torture each other with this thing?  Or prove that someone could face the worst things ever for them?  It was a different environment.  Worth was proven through accomplishments and public service, not strength and arrogance.  But they did like entertainment and fun things.  Which leads me to go where have I seen a fun thing that has an arch and can make anything you can imagine a reality?  A holodeck!!!  Only rather than tell computer your wishes, you just think them...

Which leads me to go where have I seen a fun thing that has an arch and can make anything you can imagine a reality? A holodeck!!!  Only rather than tell computer your wishes, you just think them...
So, how many stories from the Age of Legends involve that particular ter'angreal malfunctioning?

Which leads me to go where have I seen a fun thing that has an arch and can make anything you can imagine a reality? A holodeck!!!  Only rather than tell computer your wishes, you just think them...
So, how many stories from the Age of Legends involve that particular ter'angreal malfunctioning?

Enough to keep people listening to the stories?  But not so many that they would suck all the fun out of the idea of using it?

I think, rather, that the ter'angreal draw upon the many possible threads of the Wheel to provide the scenes one experiences in the rings (both in Rhuidien and the Tower).  It "reads" these things and then generates the three scenes (each ring has a specific past, present or future "scene") for the person going through. 

The point of the ter'angreal, even before there was war and stuff in the Age of Legends was to let a man or woman (now just a woman) experience things that were far beyond them in order to allow them to make wise choices...hence it's a test in the Aiel world in order that a woman may begin to be "wise" and so I imagine that at a certain point in their lives they would walk through the rings and experience these things in a rite of passage of sorts, or the beginning of wisdom.

Much in the same way that it's still used today.

Archived