DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Regarding the Fisher King...

Dark Justice

I was just wondering about some things about the Fisher King and what wikipedia says about him...

From Wikipedia:

The Fisher King, or the Wounded King, figures in Arthurian legend as the latest in a line charged with keeping the Holy Grail. Versions of his story vary widely, but he is always wounded in the legs or groin, and incapable of moving on his own. When he is injured, his kingdom suffers as he does, his impotence affecting the fertility of the land and reducing it to a barren Wasteland. Little is left for him to do but fish in the river near his castle Corbenic. Knights travel from many lands to heal the Fisher King, but only the chosen can accomplish the feat. This is Percival in the earlier stories; in the later versions, he is joined by Galahad and Bors.

Does this mean in any way that the forsaken will somehow heal Rand? I also find it interesting with the choice of the word chosen. Is this where RJ got the name from? The Chosen from the arthurian legends?

I can manage to link most of this to rand in some way or other, but that one is the one Im wondering about.

Does this mean in any way that the forsaken will somehow heal Rand? I also find it interesting with the choice of the word chosen. Is this where RJ got the name from? The Chosen from the arthurian legends?

I do not think so. Have you ever heard the phrase "Many are called bt few are Chosen". Its a reference to the many who have a religous "calling" a but the few that "chosen" (by god) to lead. It's more likely that if Rand is healed "the three women on the boat" referred to in prophecy will be involved ( which in fact may be a reference to to Arthurian legends and the three who take Arthur to Avalon).

I doubt that Jordan used Wikipedia either as his source of understanding for the Arthurian mythos, or just about anything else ...

I doubt that Jordan used Wikipedia either as his source of understanding for the Arthurian mythos, or just about anything else ...

No but he may very well have used the same sources as the auther(s) of the article to find and research his info  ;)

... but only the chosen can accomplish the feat. This is Percival in the earlier stories; in the later versions, he is joined by Galahad and Bors.

Interesting because both Galahad (Galad) and Bors are names Jordan used in the books.

Archived