DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

You're Not Getting Away Easily... (ATTN: Aeryn, MoN)

Jagen Sedai

Jagen wasted no time leaving the garden once the two Blues wandered off. She was glad Elyssa said they would talk later but more grateful for Estel leaving, too. Goodness how she hated that woman. Thoughts went through her head of who she could go to about her behavior but none seemed satisfying. Estel's reputation was easily known enough, and Jagen planned to crush the woman herself.

The tall Red strode down the hall, the white silk of her dress swishing around her slippered feet. It was threaded and laced in red, the only hint to her Ajah. Most sisters did not know Jagen any more, but she used to teach novices and Accepted before before leaving the Tower thirty years ago, with few periodic trips back that didn't last long. But those who did know her knew she was tough when it came to handling novices and any students she had, and had a good relationship with any current Mistress of Novices. Now it was different. After so long, she no longer knew who was in the position, or even if she happened to know her.

The novice from the garden must have been in the office by now or, if she was delaying, then Jagen would be first in to tell the Mistress of Novices what transpired in the garden. If the novice planned on not showing up then the Sitter would simply have her hunted down, and the Taraboner would enjoy making the girl's life a truly miserable one. The thought nearly made her smile as she strode into the Mistress of Novice's office.

Though Aeryn had not wasted time in heading to the Mistress of Novices' office, she had not yet gotten the chance to explain what had happened. She was in the office however, sitting on one of the chairs as Larindhra Sedai talked to another Novice -- or Accepted, it was hard to spot the hem from where she was sitting -- awaiting her turn. She just sat there, as calm and composed as any Aes Sedai would have as if she had done nothing wrong, and in her eyes, she hadn't.

It was her turn next, and she rose from her seat to walk over to the desk. About halfway though, the door flung open to reveal Jagen Sedai striding into the office. Aeryn herself paused, looking at the Mistress of Novices for a sign to come forward or to sit down until whatever business Jagen Sedai had with her had ended. She just hoped the delay wouldn't be taking long, she still had chores to finish after all.

Aeryn

Awaiting her turn

(OOC: Jagen gave me permission to join.  *Grins*)

Nenen made her way up slowly to the Mistress of Novices' office.  Wilemi had already ran all the way up the stairs, and was probably going through a harrowing lesson with Larindha Sedai.  Turning the corner, her her a door being flung open, and guessed that it was Wilemi, who had just reached the MoN's office.  She recounted in her memory how she had been unjustly accused of eavesdropping.  Of course Wilemi would accept the punishment.  Nenen herself had needed to stiffen her backbone from time to time, or she would have been pushed around to oblivion a long time past.

Walking down the corridor as serenly as she could without seen to be lagging to passing Aes Sedai, she saw the door open fully, and Wilemi came out, looking chastised and fretful.  She saw Nenen, gave a watery smile, and ran off to do whatever punishment she had entailed.

Turning around the corner, she froze as she saw Jagen Sedai in the room, Aeryn was there as well.  Judging from the look that Jagen was giving Aeryn, and remembering the lecture that Aeryn had dealt out to all three sisters, she guessed that Jagen was here to deal out some additional punishment.  And I thought my situation couldn't sink any lower.  She grumbled inwardly.  Steeling herself, she entered the room and curtsied.

And stood by the corner, hoping that Jagen Sedai would forget that she had ever been in the gardens, or her punishment might be much worse that she would have gotten.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Expectant

• 2 weeks later...

ooc: Ah I see, no one told me that I think. Oops. Well, I will take over from here, heh.

Jagen eyed both girls carefully and turned back to the Mistress of Novices. However, Larindhra spoke before Jagen could.

"Whatever it is, Jagen, I am sure you can handle it. I'm simply too busy with other things right now. If I recall correctly, you used to teach and punish novices yourself? Though, I suppose I can deal out something in a moment if you need it..."

"Indeed." A slick smile actually appeared on Jagen's lips before it was replaced with a firm frown. "Well, I will not waste your time any longer; I will gladly teach these two girls as I believe needed. You two, come with me. Now." Her voice was very firm.

The Red Sitter swept pass the two girls. "Any plans you had you can forget about," she snapped at them in the large corridor. "You both are mine for the afternoon, and will be well into the night." She especially wanted to give the first girl a very hard punishment for her words earlier, and for this Jagen brought them to the bathing room in the novice quarters for. An odd place to be seen perhaps, but it would be fitting for an old fashioned punishment. Jagen embraced the power and floated a fresh bar of soap over to her from where they were kept stored. She placed it in Aeryn's hands, shooting a glare at the other girl to keep still and quiet.

"Lather up that soap," she told Aeryn. "Did you not learn that you are to never, ever speak that way to Aes Sedai? We're going to clean those manners right out of your mouth." Jagen had plans to make the girl put the soap into her own mouth, but if that wasn't going to work, she was simply going to use the Power and force it in her mouth with a couple simple flows of air. And perhaps use it to restrain her if needed.

Nenen's heart sank as Larindha Sedai spoke.  "Whatever it is, Jagen, I am sure you can handle it. I'm simply too busy with other things right now. If I recall correctly, you used to teach and punish novices yourself? Though, I suppose I can deal out something in a moment if you need it..."

"Indeed." A slick smile actually appeared on Jagen's lips before it was replaced with a firm frown. "Well, I will not waste your time any longer; I will gladly teach these two girls as I believe needed. You two, come with me. Now." Her voice was very firm.

Nenen's heart dropped to her stomach.  Jagen Sedai was famous for her intolerance of missteps of any kind.  Whatever punishment Larindha Sedai would have dealt out would be like eating cake as compared to the punishment Nenen would be receiving from Jagen Sedai.  She wanted to run off if she had not been sure that Jagen Sedai would simply have bound her and doubled her punishment.

Nenen's mouth nearly dropped open as Jagen Sedai led them not to her rooms, but to the bathing quarters for the Novices.  Jagen Sedai embraced the One Power, the glow surrounding her, nearly blinding Nenen with its brilliance.  A bar of soap floated to Aeryn's hands.  Ordering Aeryn to lather up the soap, Jagen Sedai spoke in a self-satisfied tone, "Did you not learn that you are to never, ever speak that way to Aes Sedai? We're going to clean those manners right out of your mouth."

Nenen's mouth really did drop open this time round.  Mentally, she prayed that she would not suffer the same fate as Aeryn.  What had possessed the girl?  She wondered.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Frightened

• 3 weeks later...

Aeryn still believed she had done the right thing, speaking up when she had. Unlike Nenen, who looked about ready to sink through the floor, she stood there calm and composed again, waiting for what Jagen would have in store for her. Regardless of what it would be, she would need to have a damn good reason if she were to pass punishment down on her. As a bar of soap floated its way towards her, she raised an eyebrow at Jagen.

"Lather up that soap. Did you not learn that you are to never, ever speak that way to Aes Sedai? We're going to clean those manners right out of your mouth."

Keeping her jaws shut, she started lathering the soap, believing she was to go and clean the floor or other comparable task. Because that's what this was to her, simply another chore that needed doing for no better reason than giving the Novices something to do. If they intended to have her work until she'd apologise however, they'd be in for a long night, she was certain of that...

Aeryn

Still here, sorry for the delay

Jagen stood there for a full minute just staring at Aeryn, her eyes slightly narrowed. Then she glanced at Nenen and back to Aeryn, getting an idea. If Aeryn was going to be this stubborn, Nenen might come in use. "You," she said to Nenen, "go to my room in the Ajah quarters and prepare a fire for me. And have dinner delivered, I'm getting hungry. After that, come back to us here, if Aeryn plans on keeping us that long?"

Jagen turned her gaze back to Aeryn with a raised eyebrow. She could certainly play this game, and a dozen different ideas were already going through her mind concerning how to deal with Aeryn's behavior. "Well, what are you waiting for?" the Taraboner snapped at the novice. "You're to wash out your mouth! Hop to it!"

At the mention of needing to wash out her mouth, Aeryn raised an eyebrow of her own, and was quick to reply. Her voice was calm however, with not a hint of panic and distress, convinced as she was that she had done the right thing. And because of that, she couldn't expect to be punished because of it, right?

- "Why would i need to? Am i to do nothing then when Aes Sedai imply the Amyrlin will likely disappear or be killed soon? Am i to remain silent when talks start to border dissent? Is this the example set for us Novices to follow?"

She took the soap, shoving it in her mouth with not even the slightest hesitation. If she deemed it a suitable punishment then she would indulge her, but she would be making sure that in the process the Aes Sedai would be made more than aware that she would not apologise for what she did, whatever the consequences. Taking the soap out again, she spat the most obvious traces of soap from her mouth, ignoring the rest as she gave Jagen the same determined look as before, not lessened in the least.

- "As for my words... I spoke my mind, Aes Sedai, and i will not apologise for it. I saw it necessary, and given that Estel Sedai regained her composure after i did i was right to do so."

She stood there, soap still in hand as she pushed down the feeling of raw agony her taste buds were sending to her brain. She was a little angry over the way this was being handled, but wanted to get this nonsense over with so she could get back to her chores.

Aeryn

Not impressed

Jagen stalked over to the girl and picked up the soap, then shoved it right back in her mouth with some force. "When an Aes Sedai speaks, you spoiled little brat," she said coolly, "you stay quiet about anything you hear, because it's none of your business. You're too young to understand what examples you're supposed to be looking for to follow, except to be quiet and do as your told. If you keep an attitude like this up, you will not become Aes Sedai. Now is not the time in your life to act prissy.

"You can think what you what but while you're a novice you're only allowed to speak so much. And you will apologize before you leave my presence today--I may even keep you more than that, if I need to. You really want to play this game with me, child? Are you ready?"

Jagen took the soap back out and tossed it at the girl so it hit her dress and left a trail of soap on it. This child really needed some discipline, and Jagen already wanted to do the worst for her mouth. She leaned close to the girl's face and spoke quietly, her gaze intense. "You will not speak to me except to say 'Yes Jagen Sedai' and 'No Jagen Sedai.' Are we clear?"

"You," she said to Nenen, "go to my room in the Ajah quarters and prepare a fire for me. And have dinner delivered, I'm getting hungry. After that, come back to us here, if Aeryn plans on keeping us that long?"

With that, Nenen curtsied fully, spreading her skirts so wide and so deep that she nearly fell on her face as she spun around and ran out of the toilet, to the Red Ajah quarters where Jagen Sedai lived.  After a while, she slowed down.  She did not precisely run, it was more of a slight canter.  She did not want to make herself any more untidy as was neccesary.

After obtaining directions to Jagen Sedai's rooms, she hurried inside, closing the door behind her.  There was wood in the fireplace, but how to light it?  The obvious solution was to use the One Power.  But the problem was that Novices were not allowed to use the One Power except under Accepted or Aes Sedai supervision.  Never mind that, she thought.  Jagen wants the fireplace up, and I will have to use whatever means I can to do it.

Embracing as much of the One Power as she could, she channeled a flow of Fire, thin and pallid as it was.  She could embrace very little of the One Power, but she had some small ability with Fire, though not as much as Water or Earth.  The flow of Fire touched the wooden logs, and smoke started to rise.  Then, a flame flickered and burst into flame on the logs, heating up the room.

Releasing the True Source, Nenen considered the room.  Where to put the tray of food if it was to be delivered there?  Looking around, she saw a table that was cluttered with papers.  Moving over, she rearranged the whole pile neatly to one corner, trying not to read its contents, so that there was enough space for the tray later on.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Calmed Down

Aeryn resisted the urge to struggle as the soap was once again inserted in her mouth. To be brutally honest, she found the whole ordeal to be more annoying than anything. Her tongue had gotten her into problems more than once before, and she didn't play favorites when something -- or someone -- had gotten on her nerves. As a result, this wouldn't have been the first time she had had to wash her mouth with soap, nor would it be the last.

"You can think what you what but while you're a novice you're only allowed to speak so much. And you will apologize before you leave my presence today--I may even keep you more than that, if I need to. You really want to play this game with me, child? Are you ready?"

After she caught the soap that was unceremonially tossed at her, she listened to Jagen's words, her stubbornness kicking in. The woman wanted an apology? Resisting the urge to get in the woman's face, she kept her face smooth even though she was glaring daggers at the woman.

- "Hardly, Jagen Sedai. I do not make a habit out of lying. Nor apologising half-heartedly for that matter."

On the second thing she said, she felt little reason to object. Not because of the Aes Sedai leaning her face close to her own, but due to the wording. Her voice held no fear in it, though it still held quite a bit of anger and determination.

- "Yes, Jagen Sedai."

Of course, she only confirmed that Jagen Sedai was being clear, not necessarily that she agreed with what she was saying. But that would likely become apparent soon enough.

Aeryn

Used to this, unfortunately

Jagen was rather taken aback by Aeryn's behavior, and her words. She had never before encountered a novice, or anyone, so blatantly rude to authority. "Uncouth! How can you speak to me like this, novice? Just how long have you been in the Tower? Hm?" She couldn't believe it at all, but it was very possible that she may need help--no, she wouldn't need anyone's assistance. Her pride wouldn't let her ask, and this girl would come to know her place.

"For that matter, what barn did your mother raise you in? If you even had a mother. You act as if you were raised by pigs!"

Oh she didn't just...

Aeryn found herself feeling disturbingly reassured under Jagen's insults. Reassured in her initial assessment that the Aes Sedai were, in fact, bullying Novices for the sake of having someone to pick on, and disturbed because said assessment apparently hadn't been restricted to just the odd exception. Still, she answered the question she was asked, though there was nothing meek about her voice.

- "Two weeks, Aes Sedai."

She stopped close of commenting on the insult to her bloodline in a way that would have insinuated Jagen to be quite familiar with being raised in a barn and how pigs raised their young. She would not stoop to this... this woman's level regardless of what would be tossed at her next, and she'd be damned if she would be the first to lose her temper! Somewhere in the broiling cluster of emotions that was her flaring temper, a voice wondered when Irian would be coming in to quell the situation with a quick joke and an apology, but it (along with several others) was drowning in the inferno of anger that was beating against her mental barricades.

Aeryn

Jagen had almost completely forgot about her room by this point but at remembering there was another novice waiting for her she decided it would be best to go there. "Come with me, child," she said firmly sweeping out of the bathing quarters. "Two weeks, indeed," she sneered. "Had you not heard of Aes Sedai before coming here? Even queens and kings respect us, and I will not let that fact get pass you. Especially since you have nothing to your name while you stay here. Not until you earn it, and for you that is a very long way off."

They walked into the lovely halls of the Red quarters and to her room. Inside it was cozy and warm, and clean, the table decorated with a black lacy cloth upon which an expensive looking tea set sat upon. There was a cased flute on a shelf above the fireplace and even a fairly large, stringed instrument in one corner. The only displayed picture was of the Tarasin Palace in Tarabon. Her bed was covered in comfortable, plain dark blankets, and on the bed stand were a few candles and a book. It was sparsely decorated all together and had plenty of room. "Tell me, girl. What do you think gives you the right to talk to me the way you have been, hm? And you," she said to the novice who had been in her room, "Make some tea for us."

Though it had not been her intention when she followed Jagen through the White Tower, the option of focusing her energy on walking rather than shouting helped her to calm herself down. Though she still looked about ready to commit murder, the edges were mostly blunted now, and her anger had become more lingering than fresh. As she entered the woman's quarters, she found herself be distracted by the contrast between it and the Novice quarters she had been assigned to, making her feel a pang of homesickness. And subsequently, irritated for feeling homesick this close after leaving Almoth.

- "When i feel something needs to be said, i say it, Jagen Sedai, regardless if the person i'm talking to is Aes Sedai, Whitecloak or the King of Saldaea. While i've gotten in trouble more often than not because of it, i still believe it's better than keeping everything bottled up until you explode."

Truth be told, even while not hesitating to speak her mind she still 'exploded' fairly often. But at least she did it against the people that actually were the source of said outbreaks, not some innocent passerby that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was what differentiated her from the more pompous nobles who believed they could get away with anything short of murder simply because they were 'higher ranked' than they were. The last noble she had chewed out for acting that way had tried to slap her, and Irian had broken his arm for it. I wonder how he's doing...

Aeryn

Calmed down some, but not entirely

Jagen, perhaps surprisingly, actually gave a light laugh at the novice's words. "Child, speaking what's on your mind and doing it respectfully are two different things." She was beginning to think that perhaps the girl really had been raised with no manners, and perhaps it wasn't her fault she didn't know any better. Then again, it was hard not to know any better. All one had to do was observe other people. And there was the fact that she was way too disrespectful and not up to offering an apology to Jagen when told. The Red was not going to let her off easily, but at the same time, she certainly wasn't going to argue. As a former teacher she had plenty of experience dealing with novices and Accepted, and she had helped several girls--if not as rude as this one, they all turned out better in the end.

"When you 'speak your mind' to an Aes Sedai, a king, or any noble, you should be respectful about it. They are in a higher position than you. It's not like you have to like the person, but you need to respect them because of their position--or rather, give respect to the position. Clearly, your parents did not teach you any better. I'm sure they must have been as incompetent as you, and it amazes me you even made it this far. Myself, I would not even have let you into novice whites. But there is room to teach you yet, and many years ahead. You're going to learn manners girl, and I will teach you them myself. But you need to understand," she leaned forward slightly, "Is that this is important, and whatever is going on in that childish mind of yours to make you think you're number one is irrelevant to the rest of the world. Everything is not about you, and no one cares what happened in your past. All you have now is the White Tower and the impressions you make upon the Sisters and even the Accepted you encounter.

"I could almost say I admire your stubbornness, girl, but you're clearly directing it all wrong. Do not think I am doing this personally for you; I'm doing it as an Aes Sedai and as a teacher. I'm here to help turn you into a respectable woman, perhaps a powerful Aes Sedai yourself one day, if you have it in you. Now, it's up to you whether you're going to take that to heart or not."

Nenen was tidying up the rest of the rooms and was about to leave when Jagen Sedai entered the room, her face a mask of serenity, with the light of anger burning in her eyes.  Nenen, deciding to try and ignore the fact that Aeryn had just entered, curtsied, and was about to leave to fetch dinner, was ordered to pour tea for both Jagen and Aeryn.  Puzzled inside, she remained her outward smooth composure, while she heated the tea over the fireplace until she judged the time was right to let it cool off, then took two cups and poured tea for both Jagen and Aeryn.

Opening her mouth afterwards, she said,  "Jagen Sedai, I am going to get dinner now."

Opening the door, she hurried down the stairways and past corridors, to lower levels of the Tower that were not underground.  Moving into the main kitchen, she told them that she had orders for dinner by Jagen Sedai.  Waiting in a corner, she sighed inwardly and thankfully that she did not have to clean dishes or stir steaming pots while someone else goosed her, or tried to.

Finally, after 15 minutes of waiting, a dish was thrust into her hands.  Sighing with longing at the meal that was on the tray, she carried it up to the Red Quarters yet again, her legs becoming rather sore and her arms tired with the attempts at balancing the tray without spilling anything, which included soup.  Finally making her way through the winding corridors and dodging serving woman and Tower Servants, she arrived outside Jagen Sedai's quarters and went in.

Setting the tray down on the table, she turned to Jagen Sedai.

"Is there anything else that you would like me to do Jagen Sedai?"

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Questioning

Though Aeryn believed to have been prepared for anything, the laughter was certainly unexpected. With the anger ebbing away to manageable tresholds now she ignored Jagen's insults of her parents, now being able to see the Aes Sedai as perhaps being misguided, or at least having a different opinion than her when it came to things like this.

- "Well, a king should be treated with respect, i agree. But only if he acts like a king. Also... My parents weren't that bad, i just have... trouble controlling my temper. Irian's usually around to defuse the situation before it gets out of hand."

That admission about her temper brought on a small blush on her behalf, embarrassed that she had manuevered herself into a situation where she had implied an apology for her actions. Though she still stood behind what she had said, she had to agree that the way in which she said things was often a bit too... controversial to most people's liking.

Aeryn

Enfant terrible

Jagen was starting to wonder if Aeryn even heard a word she said in her small speech, and it annoyed her that all she said was about her temper and some king. It was like she missed the whole point. Maybe she was just really stupid, Jagen thought.

The Sitter looked over to Nenen. "Go and tell the Mistress of Novices Aeryn will be missing some classes. I said she is not going to leave my presence until she apologizes for her behavior, and so it will have to be. Then you can go about your own business."

Afer Nenen left she took a few sips of the tea served on the tray. "A king is still human, child, and is going to be treated like a king to his face whether you like the man or not. It's the position you're giving respect too, irregardless of the person. That's what I'm trying to teach you, but maybe this concept is too wild for you to understand. But whether you understand or not you're going to learn. As much as I'd like to be rid of you to take care of my own matters, you know I cannot lie, and you're staying with me until you do apologize. Even Aes Sedai may lose their temper from time to time, or break down, but for some women... well, being an Aes Sedai is very challenging. Perhaps if you knew more about the Sister who was crying, you'd understand, and I may just send you to her afterwards."

• 2 weeks later...

Aeryn considered the words Jagen had told her. There was indeed a possibility that she had misinterpreted the situation, but truth be told it did look a lot like bullying to her at the time. Still, she had to concede the point that the world was not a meritocracy, and that perhaps treating a king like a footstool if he treated others like a footstool would kind of quite possibly be wro-- not be right.

- "So... Why was Estel Sedai disrespectful to the Amyrlin Seat by implying the current one would last about as long as the previous three? Isn't that the same thing?"

She looked a bit puzzled, not really sure of what to think of it or rather not seeing any difference between the two herself. Instead of giving her anger the chance to take over again, she decided to simply keep her anger in check by asking. There was a chance she was misunderstanding again, but if her temper took over again chances were she'd never find out the real answer to it.

Aeryn

Inquisitive