DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interesting things I've noticed on my re-read...

Chel Vanin

As I've been re-reading the series for the 5th time I've noticed a few little things that I hadn't on the previous four reads. I figured I'd post them to see if anyone else noticed them as well.

When Min views one of the AS in Salidar I believe, she sees ravens that she says seem like tattoos. Naturally my first thought was the raven tattoos that the deathwatch guard and seekers have, but as far as I know no AS has been taken by the Seanchan except to be damane. With the foreshadowing we've had of a truce between randlanders and Seanchan in book 12 I wonder how the AS will end up with her tattoos?

Also, in book 6 Rand makes a quick reference to TAR when he talks about a "strange unpeopled world" where he travels to, in order to get an idea of Sammael's defenses in Illian. Now, he was entering in the flesh so I'm not suggesting he's a dreamwalker, but I wonder if anyone told him (besides Nynaeve at end of book 5) that entering TAR in the flesh is a bad idea and thats why he stopped? or because of his difficulty with his sickness that prevents him from using saidin frequently. Something must have happened for him to stop using TAR, because Rand must see the benefit of being able to travel all over the world and get a general idea of whats happening, even if he can't actually see the people. If Rand were able to communicate with Egwene via TAR or Elayne it would help him get information much quicker. I don't really see this happening, I guess my main question is why did Rand stop using TAR?

I had a few others but I've forgotten them, I'll have to look back again.

To the second question, probably because of what Nynaeve said. Rand wasn't getting sick until the balefire beams crossed at the end of ACoS. On top of that he wouldn't discuss things with Egwene or Elayne because he thinks that way he can protect them, and he doesn't trust Aes Sedai or anybody for that matter.

The first question, we'll see in book 12. A lot of dreams and viewings have to do with the Seanchan and the Aes Sedai eventually meeting. Egwene has plenty of dreams in book 10 about being helped by Seanchan and Seanchan attacking the Tower. So it's likely that the ravens will be answered there.

To the second question, probably because of what Nynaeve said.

Yeah, but she told him that in book 5 and he was talking about using TAR in book 6, so he didn't listen, at least for a little while. Maybe he decided that she was right, or felt some effects of whatever it is that happens to you when you enter TAR in the flesh so often. I don't know, but he doesn't seem to be one to listen to Nynaeve, especially when she's telling him something will hurt him. Seems he wouldn't care if it hurt him as long as it gave him an advantage. In fact losing part of his humanity might have been almost a good thing to Rand at that point (at least in his eyes). He was always talking about being hard and blah blah so. I don't suggest he purposely entered TAR to lose his humanity but, I doubt that would've stopped him entering in the flesh.

Thought of something just now by typing that. In book 4 Perrin describes Slayer and Luc's smell as being cold, barely human or some such. Probably because of entering TAR in the flesh so much? Some probably had already made that connection but it just occurred to me.

[Thought of something just now by typing that. In book 4 Perrin describes Slayer and Luc's smell as being cold, barely human or some such. Probably because of entering TAR in the flesh so much? Some probably had already made that connection but it just occurred to me.

Slayer/Luc/Isam is a creature of the Dark One, yes?  That might explain some of it; Have we actual seen Isam outside of Tel'aran'rhiod?  I know the Trollocs who invaded Emonds Field roared his name as a warcry, but it was Luc who we saw, save for Perrin's hunt in the Wolf Dream

When Min views one of the AS in Salidar I believe, she sees ravens that she says seem like tattoos.
Raven tattoos are a symbol of someone being the property of the Empress. Deathwatch Guard are all owned by the Empress. This AS will be as well. As for T'a'r, when should he have used it? The battle against the Seanchan in PoD springs to mind, but he wasn't at his best then - not listening to Great Captain, slaughtering good chunk of his own army, etc.

Have we actual seen Isam outside of Tel'aran'rhiod?
He can be either one in either world.

Have we actual seen Isam outside of Tel'aran'rhiod

We saw Isam after he met his shrouded master in TAR, when he was hunting Rand and Min. As mentioned, "Slayer" can be either Isam or Luc in both the waking and dream worlds, but he has to be in TAR to change. We have seen both in the waking world.

I thought he was hunting Lan and Nynaeve? The two people he murdered in the bed resembled them and he was thinking of the last time he killed an Aes Sedai. It had me thinking there was some sub plot building up for a meeting between Lan and his cousin in the final book.

As for the tattoos marking property of the Empress.. I don't recall too clear but didn't Tuon once say she wouldn't mark a damaine like some others of the blood do? Or was that just not having them mutilated as punishment? Not needing a tongue to channel was one of the examples I think.

I thought he was hunting Lan and Nynaeve? The two people he murdered in the bed resembled them and he was thinking of the last time he killed an Aes Sedai. It had me thinking there was some sub plot building up for a meeting between Lan and his cousin in the final book.

At the end of the scene, Slayer refers to his nephew and the wench; also he was in Luc form when he was thinking it.  If it was Lan & Nynaeve, the reference would have been cousin from Isam.

Archived