DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Another crazy theory

Razor

Rand has had a few prophesies, foretellings about babies.  For instance, Elayne feeling secure she would not die in the Camelyn war of succession because Min said Rand's babes would be healthy.  There was another one, I think about Avienda that was something about there would be something weird about her babies and that she would have 4.  Sorry if my memory is off but I am sure there was supposed to be something strange and that it was different than the # she would have.  Now for the crazy theory.  Rand has to die.  His soul is linked to the wheel. He can die and come back to beat the Dark one when Mat blows the horn.  After Tarmon Gaidon Avienda visit the word of dreams in the flesh and meets with very randy hero of the horn LTT/Rand al Thor and is so startled to see him, she changes the Dream world to an igloo in a Seanchan snow storm and they relive a prior experience.  However, the twist, re what happens to your body in the Dream world ie injuries etc are real when you wake, and Avie conceives the 4 little Draglets in the world of dreams.

Before you dismiss this entirely as stupid, please consider one point that I made.  Does not the Horn of Valere have to be at Tarmon Gaidon?  Why is that?  Surely not because the 100 heroes must be there.  How much can 100 really do by themselves?  Maybe it must be there because the Dragon must die and live again to defeat the dark one.  Cannot the horn be there to bring a dead Dragon back?

I think it might be possible except that when Rand fought at Falme remember his battle with the dark one was linked with the heroes of the horn's fight in a way that they only one if he won. I know it probably won't happen this way but I kind of always saw the last battle as

Rand fighting the Dark one on the slopes of shoyl Ghuyl The heroes of the horn Mat, the band, and logain and his loyalist and of course Alvia are protecting him from trollocs and dreadlords and forsaken while rand fights a battle against the DO Logain and one other Ahsa'man maybe Narshima will be fighting Moridin and alvia and maybe a few other aes sedi (Cads and the others sworn to him) Will fight off the female forsaken. Mat will beast all over Shiadar Haran and that ties up all the forces of light and darkness. I have no clue how it will play out.

Well okay maybe not all the forces of light but all of the forces of darkness are taken care of. Maybe Perrin and Lan are leading the other forces of the light still trying to hold Tarwins Gap. I'm not sure about that part.

Rand has to die?  Like another poster, that is debatable.  Rand is prophesied to die, but that does not mean he has to.

100 Heroes?  The number I think is not fixed.  Birgitte told that when the Horn calls the Heroes are not there in the flesh and thus cannot be affected by the One Power.  Because of that, there might be a chance that even 1 Hero could win Tarmon Gai'don (though it would be slow).

the prophesy said that the dragon must die so that he may live... whatif that means that lews therin the "dragon" who lately lives in rands head must die soo that rand may live. either that or perhaps rand connectin to morind could result in a body switch so that his body dies but his soul lives on in another body ???

the prophesy said that the dragon must die so that he may live... whatif that means that lews therin the "dragon" who lately lives in rands head must die soo that rand may live.
LTT isn't alive. So how can he die?

LTT was bound to the Horn, not Rand.
No, the soul is bound to the Horn, not one specific life of it. It would most likely not be the real LTT, or the Rand we know, but an amalgamation of his lives. Memories of both lives, and hundreds of others.

Interesting theory (the crazy ones are always the fun ones anyway) though one flaw.  LTT was bound to the Horn, not Rand's.  If he were called back by the Horn it would be LTT who came riding out of the clouds with the rest of the HotH.

Actually as they share the same soul both personalities would appear (one might be dorment but they are the same person). Moreover the appearence of the soul of the Dragon might depend on which the caller would recognize (or which was the last incarnarion). Lastly, it is not definate that the Dragon is bound to the Horn. All we know is that the Dragon and the Heroes have often fought together in past incarnations.

The number I think is not fixed.  Birgitte told that when the Horn calls the Heroes are not there in the flesh and thus cannot be affected by the One Power. 

Could not balefire cut the thread of the Hero even though he is not there in the Flesh?

Balefire I think would be included in that; though I am not entirely certain.

Balefire I think would be included in that; though I am not entirely certain.

I agree with you. I believe I read somewhere that one that is Balefired might be reborn again. So the souls of the heroes of the horn should survive. But since we've never actually seen it happen, we can't be 100% sure. Unless RJ actually commented on that issue, of course. I can't recall any such comment.

I copied and pasted this from wotmania FAQ (  http://www.wotmania.com/faqtopic.asp?ID=158  ):

When the Horn is blown by the Hornsounder it emits a clear note which resonates with the surroundings, and which precedes a rising fog that thickens and clouds the land. Out of this fog ride forth the Heroes of the Horn, led by Artur Hawkwing. When called forth by the Horn the Heroes are not in the flesh as they would be upon rebirth and therefore the One Power cannot touch them nor can they be killed by standard weaponry as Birgitte explains:

"As for Falme, the Horn had called us; we were not there as you were, in the flesh. That is why the Power could not touch us. Here [Tel’aran’rhiod], all is part of the dream, and the One Power could destroy me as easily as you."

- The Shadow Rising, Need

They do remain vulnerable to the One Power when residing within Tel’aran’rhiod, as Moghedien demonstrated on Birgitte.

If the OP really can't touch them, then they should be safe from Balefire.

And yes, the dragon is bound to the horn.  Hawkwing was surprised that LTT was there in the flesh.  Therefore LTT is a heroe of the horn.  As the horn was sequestered in the eye since shortly after the breaking, it myst be the dragon, not LTT that is bound to the horn and whose soul was recognized by Hawkwing, a soul usually bound but this time free, requiring Hawkwing to follow the banner, not the hornsounder

So is the horn itself extremely ancient then? Lews Therin didn't have time to be sent out for a blown horn after his death, it wasn't blown until Mat got it in Falme and Lews was already "there in the flesh". The horn wasn't blown after the breaking when it was put in the Eye of the World, that's for sure, so we know if they recognize Lews Therin it's not as the Dragon himself and it must have been sounded sometime way before the breaking for them to have heard it. I was under the impression the Horn of Valere was a product of the Age of Legends, though, I guess I was wrong.

If they also wouldn't follow the hornsounder because it wasn't Lews Therin and they had to follow the banner instead, that means Mat's sounding the horn wasn't meant to be part of the pattern, Rand was supposed to do it.. right?

So is the horn itself extremely ancient then? I was under the impression the Horn of Valere was a product of the Age of Legends, though, I guess I was wrong.
Week 1 Question: Was the Horn of Valere known and used in the Age of Legends? Or did it only appear in the Third Age?

Robert Jordan Answers: The Horn of Valere was known in the Age of Legends, though it was an artifact of an earlier age, but it was never used in the Age of Legends. In part, this was because there wasn't any need in an Age that knew universal peace, but also it was because what it could do was considered a sort of myth by most people in that Age. No one who is serious spends time trying to test out whether a myth might be real. (Seen anybody sacrificing a white bull to Jupiter lately?) And once the Dark One touched the world, before the War of the Shadow actually began, the Horn was among the items lost, and thought destroyed, in the first rush of mob violence, terrorism etc. So it wasn't available for use then even had someone wanted to try. It was later recovered and sealed up with the Dragon Banner because along with the Foretellings that made up the Prophecies of the Dragon was one saying that it must be.

In any case, the story of the Horn was carried on through the Age of Legends in the same way that myths are today, and magnified thereafter though the twisting that occurs in the telling and retelling of a story. And believe me, stories about the Dragon Reborn and the Prophecies and everything concerned with them were rife during the Breaking. When everything is going to hell around them, people cling to anything and everything that might offer hope. That is how the Breaking could end with tales of the Dragon Reborn and the Prophecies already on many peoples' lips.

Archived