DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Service Project Kick-off Potluck

Mendorah

Hi everybody!  Well, it's finally February and so the Gray Ajah gets to host Service Project Month.  While we're always proud of our projects we've done over the past three years, this one is special because for the first time we're making the project an actual Event within the White Tower.

I'd love to see lots of people joining us in our project.  This year our theme is "Support your area Shelters."  Over the next month we'll be talking about different kinds of shelters and what they do and what kinds of help they need.  Please feel free to jump in at any time and offer your two cents to the discussions which will start next week.

But for now, let's just sit down and enjoy one another's company.  This is a Pot luck.  For any of you who aren't familliar with that term, it's a meal where the whole neighborhood or family or community gathers together and brings their own dish to share with everyone.

*runs back to the kitchen to grab several pie plates of Butternut Squash & Leek Quiche*

IMG_3550.JPG

Oooh, and can't forget the Chicken & Dumplings!

MothersRChicDumpling.jpg

Hi Mendo!!  This is such a great idea..having a potluck to get to know each other and invite folks to participate is such a GOOD project!  Shelter's have always needed our help and it seems now more than ever!!

*bounces, setting down dishes and hugs*

Now i have brought some lasagna:

lasagna.jpg

and this is one of my favorites: Fresh Strawberry Pie!

pieandquilling001-1.jpg

and what would a potluck be without a Jello salad hmmm?

FancyJelloLayerSalad_420w.jpg

*grins*  oh and I can't wait..I know that my friends from the Kin org are going to be dropping by to help with this project!  They are just awesome!!  Can't wait for them to meet you!  In fact...knowing that..if everyone would let us know thier names and the Org or ajah you're in would be wonderful!!

Like..I'm Twinnie, a Sister of the White Ajah, and Council member of the Kin!!  wooohoo!

Oooh, all of this looks so wonderful!  Twinnie, you're right.  A potluck ain't a potluck with out a Jello salad!  Or lasagna, that looks awesome!!!!

And I'm Mendorah, Head of the Gray Ajah and member of the Seanchan.  I'm also a member of the Crafters Guild of the Illuminators, but I haven't been active there since I joined really.

Most of my experience in shelter work is with Animal Shelters, but I've been attempting to branch out to other human ventures, so the information on those will help me out a lot as well.

Hi all,

in line of me being sick still, I have developped an obsession for chicken soup.

So thought I would share :)

chicken-soup.jpg

followed by a shrimp coctail

garnalencocktail.jpg

as main course a turkey with lots of vegetables and creamy mashed potatoes:

kalkoen.jpg

finishing off with a digestive of sorbets:

sorbet_409px.jpg

and for afternoon tea/coffee time

brought several vintage coffee making handmachines, which produce the finest taste of any coffee beans or powder in the old fashion way.

bodum%20french%20press%20coffee%20maker%20chambord%20big.jpg

And of course, I can not deprive you all of....

(im sure Talya and Thorum won't mind me using a picture from Euromeet last year ;) )

012-100_0586.jpg

oops, forgot....

For those that should not know me yet (lol) im Mystica, Head of the Reds and member of the Band, Kin, Wolfkin, Aiel, Illuminators (with more or less activity). I've not been much active in shelters per sé, but I have been a silent supporter and donator to an organisation that trains dogs for the physically disabled.

Hi ALL!!!! I'm Cairos. I'm a Gray Brother and also a sitter of the Gray Ajah and the official chef of the ajah.

Many types of cheesecakes.

classic-cheesecakes-lg.jpg

Assorted Mini Treats

4109-s-smallf.jpg

OMG!  Pass me one of each of the mini treats!

And I'll take some Duck and some Turkey too.

*fully expects to pass out behind one of the tables later*

You guys dig in, my we've got such an assortment of lovely food. 

Myst, I'm excited to hear all about your choice of organization.  My dad just lost his therapy dog in a vehicle accident.  I don't think he was the same kind of therapy your organization trains, though.  My dad's a hospice chaplain, so he was a Therapy Dog in that he was allowed to visit patients in the Nursing Home.

Cleo, you know, I've not done Human Shelter work either.  I've always done Animal Shelter work.  But since I'm having to wind down my Animal Shelter work, I'm hoping to learn how I can help with Human Shelters here and there. 

Samurai, That's Awesome!!! 

You know Mendorah..I had a question..cause I know you do the service project each year..and wondered how you came to pick shelters for this year?

It's a great project and as folks have beens descibing the various places..lots of opportunities in a variety of intersts!  Actually being somewhat dense...*grins*  I was thinking of homeless shelters..and went oh yeah..when folks where listing the animal, woman's and crisis centers!!

I've done work with the food pantries and drives for woman's shelters around here and worked with a street ministry...but never actually participated in a shelter...i think it could be frightening as well as positive...

Hi all, I'm still a novice, I like to be call Xaf.  This is a great project.  Just yesterday a friend and I we're thinking of volunteering at the women's shelter here.  My friend was also part of an aids research group, which sounds exciting. 

A town not too far away from here recently lost 140+ pets in their animal shelter to a fire.  I'd love to be able to help them out!  They have been reduced to nothing, and still don't have the money for a new building just yet.

Here is some food btw :D

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl0/1/12981/11_2008/done.jpg

Yeah, I think that it is an old policy in need of an update.  It was meant to protect those valuable items from loss.  But it was never given a limitation.  I have stuff that's been in there 14 years.

I haven't done any actual work in or with a shelter.  But I have participated in external events, like restaruant nights and fundraisers, etc.

I think what is needed for both animal and human shelters, the most of all are always, food and care items.

whatever those may be. For animals its like, dog bowls and water bowls, leashes, animal brushes and money for Dr. Bills.

For people, incidentals and food. Unless you are a professional for Mental Health care or counseling. You could donate a few hours a week. *nods*

I donate food to Womens Shelters, City Mission, Food Pantry and those sort of thing. Did I say that already?? Feel like it. *LOL*

Good for you Cleo!  I admire anyone that donates their time to those in need.  I wish I had got off my butt sooner, but, excuses or not, money and time have not been on my side for about a year and a half now.  Now I have both and a good friend that is encouraging me, so I can't wait! 

The animal shelter in Oshawa that burnt down is in need of pretty much everything. I think the first priority is money as they have to built a new shelter.  But, they are now lacking everything from supplies, to, well, the pets.  If I were closer the area I'd like to help the most.  I did vote for them for 'america's favourite shelter'.  Winner gets $10,000!  I'm sure they did not win, but they were in the top 10, and thats an extra $500 for them.  woot!

Anyway, that was a huge rant, sorry! LOL!

I'm glad to see my mentee participating in this!  *Winks at Xaf*

I've always gotten my pet cats from the local animal shelter or from people who fostered cats that would have otherwise been in shelters.  The only exception was our first cat, who was a stray we took in when he came to our back door.  I also donate money to the ASPCA every year.

Also, if you don't have time to volunteer, you can go to this site and just click on the button daily to help animals in need:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

When it comes to Pet stores...support Petsmart and Petco over mall stores.  Mall stores often get their puppies from Puppy Mills, where Petsmart and Petco host local shelters to bring in animals for adoption. 

Seconded!

If y'all want, I can link you to a video the Humane Society has put together about Petland.  They claim to not get their animals from puppy mills.  The video says different.  It's not graphic, it's just a little sad.

You know Mendorah..I had a question..cause I know you do the service project each year..and wondered how you came to pick shelters for this year?

It's a great project and as folks have beens descibing the various places..lots of opportunities in a variety of intersts!  Actually being somewhat dense...*grins*  I was thinking of homeless shelters..and went oh yeah..when folks where listing the animal, woman's and crisis centers!!

I've done work with the food pantries and drives for woman's shelters around here and worked with a street ministry...but never actually participated in a shelter...i think it could be frightening as well as positive...

Well, it honestly started out with me brainstorming with the Ajah over whether we should do a Women's shelter drive.  And then Caly made the point that she and I were both more involved in animal shelters, so why not think about that.  Then Yelenia came up with the idea of including All shelters.  The tagline we're using is all Miss Yelenia!  I thought is was pretty perfect as it would be easier for people to choose what to participate in.  And learn about as well!

Archived