DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Pirate Theory

septac

What I see is you being overly serious about what is a bit of fun.

I generally am serious about things; that does not necessarily mean that I do not have fun.

I also notice that you were not the first to talk about anything, and therefore what you refer to as "my earlier comments" are merely your attempts to add something original.

If you clicked on the link, it would have gone to the post I was referring to.  Here it is::

The falcon and hawk prediction I think was symbolic to Faile and Berelain respectively.  I doubt there would be a literal fulfillment.  And parrots are the only bird I heard of pirates having.

We do not know if there is a patch planned for Mat or a hook planned for Rand.

Mat having a patch would not necessarily make him a pirate; pirates are not the only group to wear patches, blind people also have patches.

And I think pirates are not the ones to have a hook hand.

Being a pirate to me is more about the person's behavior than about the things it wears.  According to the dictionary, a pirate is a person who steals ships; the other definition involves illegal production/reproduction of copyrighted/patented work.

The ship kind seems more relevant.  According to various sources, pirates kill the inhabitants (mainly men) of the lands they conquer and take the women as wives.

Also, Tinkerbell is a tiny person with wings on back and flies around.  None of those descriptions fit Graendal (or any of the other female Forsaken).

Tinkerbell was not a "person" Tinkerbell was a fairy.

It's similar to my referring to my cat as a person. Neither are, they are of different species.

According to my dictionary, a fairy has human form; and one definition for person is "bodily form or appearance".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

I generally am serious about things; that does not necessarily mean that I do not have fun.

Hmmm sure.

If you clicked on the link, it would have gone to the post I was referring to.  Here it is::

The falcon and hawk prediction I think was symbolic to Faile and Berelain ...

Like I said, you're not the first.

According to my dictionary, a fairy has human form; and one definition for person is "bodily form or appearance".

A lion and a tiger are both cats. They have a cat-like body. But are not the same. Hence, they have a different name.

Helps is you understand the words you use.

A fairy is not a person. End of.

A lion and a tiger are both cats. They have a cat-like body. But are not the same. Hence, they have a different name.

Helps is you understand the words you use.

A fairy is not a person. End of.

Except that you just acknowledged that lions and tigers are both cats. If "person" is used to refer to any intelligent being--as mb is using it and as is probably appropriate in a fantasy or science fiction context--rather than to humans only, it correlates to "cat" rather than to "lion" or "tiger".

"Person" also refers to one who is a character in a play or to "one (as a human being, a partnership, or a corporation) that is recognized by law as the subject of rights and duties," according to Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary. As a part in a play or film, Tinkerbell is a person. If MicroSoft and AIG qualify as legal persons under US law, surely you wouldn't deny Tinkerbell the same basic rights. Well, unless you're just racist against fairies.

Anyway, a slight flaw in the plan: the preferred sword of Blademasters such as Rand is the katana. The preferred sword of the pirate is the cutlass. However, a solution presents itself: the preferred weapon of the ninja, aside from badass ninja skills, is the katana (it's a well known fact to anyone who has spent any time on the internet). Therefore, Rand must become a ninja pirate. It is the only logical solution.

I'm sure the Chinese and Japanese Pirates would be the Katana.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

Except that you just acknowledged that lions and tigers are both cats.

Yep.

What's a "cat"? It's a member of a group of biologically linked animals.

Let's take lions and tigers: Family: Felidae, Subfamily Felinae, Genus Panthera.

They are genetically linked, actually close enough to breed: Google "Liger".

Care to claim that humans are genetically linked to fairies, so closely related as to be able to breed?

If "person" is used to refer to any intelligent being--as mb is using it and as is probably appropriate in a fantasy or science fiction context--rather than to humans only, it correlates to "cat" rather than to "lion" or "tiger".

A monkey is intelligent. A dolphin is intelligent. Are are people? No.

"Person" also refers to one who is a character in a play or to "one (as a human being, a partnership, or a corporation) that is recognized by law as the subject of rights and duties," according to Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary. As a part in a play or film, Tinkerbell is a person.

A character in a play is, I would image, a person around 99.9% of the time - i.e. they are human.

A mythical creature is not a person, no matter how "intelligent" they are.

Is a dragon a "person"? No.

If MicroSoft and AIG qualify as legal persons under US law, surely you wouldn't deny Tinkerbell the same basic rights. Well, unless you're just racist against fairies.

Firstly, Tinkerbell is a character. Not a person.

Tinkerbell is a member of a fictional race. So not a human.

Tinkerbell is also not a corporation.

Equating the "rights" of a member of a mythical race contained within a novel to those of an American corporation is ... interesting.

They are genetically linked, actually close enough to breed: Google "Liger".

:o  ;D

Care to claim that humans are genetically linked to fairies, so closely related as to be able to breed?

Well... I am not familiar with fairies folklore, but it sound right somehow. Also, if I recall correctly, Tinkerbell was in love with peter pen, surly she have some plans for him  ;)

Is a dragon a "person"? No.

I hope no dragon is reading these forums, or you would be in a lot of trouble.

Tinkerbell is also not a corporation.

Equating the "rights" of a member of a mythical race contained within a novel to those of an American corporation is ... interesting.

very interesting. we should open a new thread.  :D

This argument over what constitutes a person is pointless.

By itself, the following argument is pretty worthless:

A fetus is a person.

It's wrong to kill a person.

Therefore, it's wrong to kill a fetus.

For we don't know what the author means by calling a fetus "a person." On some interpretations of "person," it might be quite obvious that a fetus is a person; but quite controversial whether it's always wrong to kill persons, in that sense of "person." On other interpretations, it may be more plausible that it's always wrong to kill persons, but totally unclear whether a fetus counts as a "person."

[From http://www.jimpryor.net/teaching/guidelines/writing.html]

Clearly, rules for writing philosophy papers supersede all other notions of correctness.

[Edited for lightness]

What I see is you being overly serious about what is a bit of fun.
Ahoy there, me hearties! This one thinks he has a sense of humour. What say you to that lads? Will he still be laughing on his way to Davy Jones' Locker?

I'm sure the Chinese and Japanese Pirates would be the Katana.
AAAARRR! Chinese and Japanese pirates, Jim lad? If they don't be flying the Jolly Roger, and fighting with a cutlass, what sort of pirate can they be?

this thread is dumber than a bag of hammers... thats dumb!!! :P
Exactly how dumb is a bag of hammers, me buckoes?

Now, to weigh anchor and set sail for pastures new. Well, not pastures...waters? Anyway, another thing pirates areAAAAARRRRRREEEE associated with is beards (for example, Edward "Blackbeard" Teach). As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Perrin has a beard, so in this respect he is suited to joining (although, as previously discussed, this should only be allowed if all precautions are taken to make sure Orlando Bloom isn't along for the ride). But he is not the only character to beard a bear bear a beard. Elyas does as well. So I hearby vote that Elyas will be joining our merry band of murderers, to unleash hell on the high seas of Randland. All those in favour say aye, all those opposed will be keelhauled.

I'm surprised no one has made this obvious connection between WOT and pirates before! Here is an interesting note...

Fact: Mat is completely obsessed with gambling and especially dicing...

Fact: Pirates pass a great deal of their free time gambling, game of choice... DICE!!!! Coincidence? I think not!

BTW

I concure about Pirate-Ninjas, none of these mutant abominations may be tolerated to exsist! I propose we do to them as we've have planned to do to Orlando should he attempt to join WOT!!!!! They are a Blight on this world and must be eliminated with extreme prejudice!

• 5 weeks later...

This pirate theory seems more viable the more I think on it. For example:

FACT: Shayol Ghul, and presumably the continent next to it, was a tropical paradise. Pirates were common in tropical regions.

FACT:Piracy became popular shortly after Europeans came to the Americas. Recently, the Seanchan have arrived on the Eastern continent.

These coincidences cannot simply be discounted!

Archived