DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gender issues in WoT

I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions on Jordan's handling of gender in WoT.

It's one of my least favorite aspects of WoT. It sometimes seems like any time two or more women are together, they're whining about men, and whenever two or more men are together, they're whining about women.

But maybe the problem isn't a male/female clash but a clash between strong-willed characters, of which there are many.

Your thoughts?

I think it's fairly realistic in any case: go and stand in a group of people of the same gender and see how long it takes fro the conversation to swing towards something that someone's significant other has done to peev them... and witness the opening of the floodgates...

I'd have to say that Kadere described it best. After the breaking, female aes sedai began to run the world, and I'm sure they all had some uneasiness around men. Who could say when a man would start channeling, go insane, and kill loads of people?

So yeah, to be honest I find the women catty and occasionally annoying, but the men save their hides more times than can be counted. Sure the women are ungrateful, but us as the readers take some satisfaction in knowing that the women aren't always in control. ^_^

Archived