DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Black Tower Project (Attn: All - Possible Raising Requirement)

Covai Seriba

Alright folks, this is a little project I've been working on, and I'm looking for some input from anyone who's interested.

Basically, I'm looking to create a reference chart for your strength in the One Power, and what it allows you to do. I know we've got a weaves list with requirements, but lets be fair, has anyone ever actually used it besides when applying for a talent?

Please forgive the bad formatting in the post here, just trust me to say it looks a lot better in excel. But the general idea would be along the lines of:

Fire

1. Lighting a Candle

2. Creating a small sphere of light

3. Bringing water to the boil/melting ice.

4. Fireballs that will burn the flesh

8. Melting steel (Blacksmith's furnace temperatures)

10. Lava flows.

And so on and so forth. Bare in mind this is only a rough outline. I know it gets a bit iffy drawing the lines on some things, but I'm sure you all understand the general gist. I'm trying to work this project along with the character descriptions one I've already posted so we can all start to get a REAL idea for the abilities for our Asha'man.

To be honest, OP scores haven't REALLY meant a great deal in the past. Its been a case of 'soldiers' can do these weaves...'dedicated' know these weaves, etc etc etc. I want to chance that to what 'YOU' can do as a soldier, and 'YOU' can do as a dedicated....and you get the idea. Every Asha'man has their strengths and limits. It'll make posting a lot easier if you know what you can and can't do (Like wield twenty clubs of air with a strength of two :P)

If we can get this down solid, I'll also be talking to the other Divisions about their systems. Now that we've been RPing with the Shadow, and we're about to have Aes Sedai floating about the place (and visa versa), it's going to save a lot of toes being stepped on if everyone is on the same page.

I'm also working on a IC class structure for each rank. Basically, what you're taught from Day 1 through to reaching Asha'man. We cover this a bit in the raising requirements, but again, I'm looking for something a bit more details to help flesh out our image of 'daily life' at the Black Tower. We're a fairly militarised organisation, so it only makes sense there's a routine to chores, training, meal times, etc etc. From this list you'll be able to select which classes to 'RP out' for your raising requirements. I'm looking for everything from class times to a full list of weaves taught to each rank.

I know this is a fairly big task, which is why I'm looking input from people. I don't want this to just be 'my' vision of the Black Tower. Any input will be taking seriously and considerable contributions, even if they are different from the final result will be counted towards raising requirements.

Feel free to post your ideas here or send them to me in a PM. I'm also open to any questions or suggestions anybody has. Thanks in advance to all those willing to help me with this project!  ;D

My two cents:

1-2: Non-existant. As far as you're concerned, this element might just as well not be there.

3-4: Weak. Able to perform basic ____ weaves, but don't expect anything spectacular.

5-6: Average. Nothing special when it comes to Water and Air, but you might impress with Earth and Fire.

7-8: Strong. When it comes to strength in ____, you can weave practically any weave known to the Tower.

9-10: Heroic. In ____, you are as strong as one can be. You are the stuff of Legends, and babies are named after you in your honor.

Well I am always in favor of more info and direction.  I may be in the minority but I use the OP scores as a guide quite often.  I've plugged in my OP scores and skills for each rank into the site that Mat posted in the other thread to see what is available to my char.  For Geirrin his strength is 37 and his skill is only 28 so I rp'd him as having difficulty learning and managing certain weaves.  He may at times use too much of one of the elements in the weave which can cause some interesting results.  In my mind he is not able to handle more than 2 or 3 weaves at once due to having a low skill score.  To me skill not only restricts the type of weaves (as it shows on the website), it limits how many flows you can handle at one time.

This is the site that Mat posted.  It is a great guide to see what you may or may not be capable of. 

I'm also working on a IC class structure for each rank. Basically, what you're taught from Day 1 through to reaching Asha'man. We cover this a bit in the raising requirements, but again, I'm looking for something a bit more details to help flesh out our image of 'daily life' at the Black Tower. We're a fairly militarised organisation, so it only makes sense there's a routine to chores, training, meal times, etc etc. From this list you'll be able to select which classes to 'RP out' for your raising requirements. I'm looking for everything from class times to a full list of weaves taught to each rank.

I think the above would be great to create some uniformity in posts.  It will give us a great foundation to work from. 

I think it sounds like a great idea, but I caution you that it is a pretty big undertaking.

If you need my help or just need daily motivation let me know. I am sure the whip I use on the WY kids will work just as well here.

*runs off to go see if she can find room in her head for her BTer*

1 the low scores gives themself as being weak

2 normal scores are the ones that is the ones you can buy without loosing buying points

3 anything you loose buyingpoints on can be considered above average and rising in being considered strong for your gender

4 mat's system cover the need to discover the weaves of an individual

5 general rule is you have a tird of your strength on first tier, two tirds on second tier and full strength at full rank in tird tier...this pretty much go for all the channeling groups, and again which weaves you can do as such is not only limitied to your rank, but your op score itself combined with rank...and is fairly easy to calculate, if you got a 10 in fire then you can do weaves at tier 1 up to 3-4 in fire strength, if that weave also demands a 6 in water, then you can not do it untill you reach tier 2...pretty simple

what could be handy that i miss in channeling divisions save cots, is a divisional specific list that lets you know specific rules to that division in which level you may learn weaves, which weaves you may not learn, or specific timing of plotline release of a weave into a division, or that you may use but only with prior staff aproval, or may use only if you have a particular talent and so on and forth, basicaly special condition weaves to the particular division

Thanks for the link Sieve. I've heard about the site but never seen it :P Looks good :)

Yeah, Jehaine seems to have a pretty good summary there. Better than what I put up anyways :P. Seive, I've noticed the way you RP Geirrin and it's a very good way to do it.

Liitha, I'm not sure I quite understood the first part of your post. I do like the idea of a division specific list of know weaves, which is what I was aiming for. It would also be a good way know the the BT, WT, and CoTS are RPing together to make it clear just what each group knows. There's been a few teething problems with the Sheinar RP in regards to what each group can and can't do. Considering the WT and BT are about to become a lot more active in RPing together, I'd like to avoid it if at all possible.

Thanks for the input here everyone, it's given me some good stuff to work with. Right now I think we can focus on the weaves list we can have this sorted out quicker. Again, for the BT side this isn't just a case of what you can and can't do, try to think about daily life here at the Black Tower and what training you'll have to go through each day. Starting from there the weave and class ideas should come fairly easily :D

well its not up yet in the wiki, but here is CotS weaves list, which is basicaly the psw list edited to include specific regulations for CotS in regards of weaves to use and whatnot

http://www.shayol-ghul.com/?page_id=31

all intiates are FF in the borderland rp as intiates are discuraged interacting with mainplot, and dread intiates aint allowed to do so at all due to retro training, hence anything that is listed as avaliable for dreads or bellow, and mainplot would be avaliable to them as long as they got the strength and skill needed to perform the weave, the rest is not obviously :P