DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

We all know that Oliver isn't Gaidal. So who is he?

The Big T

Team mascot? Reason for a last and final effort? Dead person to push the characters to vengeance?

He helped Mat grow up and become responsible, and he may have some revelation about the game that he passes on to the trio that helps them get out. Just playing the game even may trigger something in Mat's mind while wandering..

I always thought he was there to remind Mat about the rules for the Snakes and Foxes game. He always recites the chant that says how to cheat before every game they play. In Moiraine's letter to Thom she tells them to remember the rules to the game so it kind of makes sense.

Although there could be another reason for Oliver that we don't know yet. He could maybe be there to  give another dimension to Mat's personnality. Before Oliver Mat was always running away from his responsibilites so it could simply be an attempt at making Mat grow up.

In the fires of heavan Morainne tells Matt that it was a curious choice for a name, the band of the red hand.  She goes on to mention that although they were legendary there were many different leaders.  After I figured that Olver wasnt Gaidal, I just assumed that he is the successor to Matt.  The whole band loves him and teaches him.  I assume once he becomes of age, that they wouldnt have a problem following his lead.

Of course he is also there to ground Matt.

Actually, he had a fairly important purpose.

1) He gave Mat the connection between Snakes and Foxes and the 'Finns.

2) He gave Mat information from Birgitte on how to open the Tower of Ghenjei.

Both very important pieces of information if any rescue of Moiraine is to succeed.

And, of course, he helps Mat's character mature.

Actually, he had a fairly important purpose.

1) He gave Mat the connection between Snakes and Foxes and the 'Finns.

2) He gave Mat information from Birgitte on how to open the Tower of Ghenjei.

Both very important pieces of information if any rescue of Moiraine is to succeed.

And, of course, he helps Mat's character mature.

Yup. ;)

Guest Dreadlord

I reckon RJ intended Olver to be one of the main characters in the outrigger set with Mat and Tuon about ten years after TG. That would have been good as well, to see Olver develop as an adult like we have seen with the main series characters

Olver is Demandred (LOL).

But seriously I agree with most of the above answers that Olver is there to help Mat mature and to get Mat well aquainted with the game of Snakes and Foxes which will be helpful in the rescue of Moiraine.  I think he might even find a way to beat Snakes and Foxes without cheating.

I reckon RJ intended Olver to be one of the main characters in the outrigger set with Mat and Tuon about ten years after TG. That would have been good as well, to see Olver develop as an adult like we have seen with the main series characters

Maybe, but he could not have been created for that purpose.  The outrigger novels are a relatively recent idea so at the time that Olver was introduced (which I believe was in LoC or CoS) RJ had no intention of doing outrigger novels.

RJ had, however, written some information on what various characters were doing after the Last Battle.

Oh no, not you again ;D

But anyway, be that as it may throughout the mid and late 90's and early 00's RJ said on several occasions that had no intention of writing other books within the WOT universe aside from the main sequence and the prequels.  He only stated talking about outrigger novel around 2004 or 2005.  Given an Olver was introduced into the series in the mid 90's it seems very unlikely the RJ created him for the purpose of being a main character in an outrigger novel.  I'm sure at the time he knew exactly what Olver would be doing in the post TG years but that is irrelevant because at the time RJ had no intention putting that info in a novel.  Therefore, Olver must have as some primary purpose within the main sequence.

There's a simple deduction:

- Gaidal is reborn during the time covered in the books

- we don't know anyone born during this same time period

Conclusion:

- we don't know who Gaidal is reborn as

Considering that the time span on the first 11 novels is roughly three years it is likely that Gaidal is in a bassanette somewhere or possibly hasn't even been born yet.  Whatever the case I don't think he will even be potty trained in time for TG so don't expect to see him play any role in it.  It would seem that the pattern has some role for him to play some 15 - 20 years post TG.    I suppose another possibility, thought rather slim one, is that he was ripped from TAR and bonded similar to Birgitte.  Has there been any mention of an  AS who has gotten a new and particularly ugly warder? ;D  Point is that we probably never will know who is Gaidal.

While we're on the subject of getting ripped from the Pattern, Gaidal wouldn't necessarily have been bonded.  Elayne came up with it on the spot because she knew what was happening.  To any other Aes Sedai, Gaidal would have been any other dying man.  Just one that her weaves couldn't help.  If he did get ripped from the Pattern, it is far more likely that he is now dead.  However, I'm not sure Moghedien could find someone like Gaidal in TAR, despite it being her claim to fame (skill in TAR, that is).

The prescripts do not allow the heroes of the horn to interact with others, and as such, they are all probably masters of TAR in such a way to leave moggy looking like she is in swaddling.

I think Moggy effectively neutalized Birgette.  As to hiding, I'll agree on that part.  Unless Gaidal was speaking to someone and blowing his cover I'd think he'd be pretty hard to find.  Except... Birgette couldnt find him either.  Who knows, maybe he'll pop up in AMOL.  *shrugs*  I've pretty much given up trying to guess what happened to Giadal. >:(

I strongly agree. When you here the rules to snakes and foxes and then look at the questions the finns ask when entering there world it's pretty obvious.  You would think Matt's character would have picked up on that.  I think it may actually be Noal who makes that connection. He also spends alot of time playing with Oliver. Or Oliver could here them planning the rescue and make the connection himself. 

I strongly agree. When you here the rules to snakes and foxes and then look at the questions the finns ask when entering there world it's pretty obvious.  You would think Matt's character would have picked up on that.  I think it may actually be Noal who makes that connection. He also spends alot of time playing with Oliver. Or Oliver could here them planning the rescue and make the connection himself. 

Already happened.  In KOD, Olver tells Mat in the same scene that Mat brings up Moiraine's letter to Thom.  Whether Mat believes him is another story.  Also, you have to remember that we can read back through the books at will, so it's easy for us to make the connection using Mat's POVs.  Mat, on the other hand, has a head crammed full of other men's memories and other problems on his mind, like getting out of Altara alive.

Also, you have to remember that we can read back through the books at will, so it's easy for us to make the connection using Mat's POVs.  Mat, on the other hand, has a head crammed full of other men's memories and other problems on his mind, like getting out of Altara alive.

This is actually my favorite part of RJ's writing style.  Not many authors can coherently convince the reader that there is no way in hell the character would put 2 and 2 together.  His multitude of colorful characters interlace enough so that we get a pretty good picture, but the individual 'threads' are missing things.  Builds suspense wonderfully.  ;D

Archived