DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Google Chrome

RAND AL THOR

Has anyone else tried it?

I've found it to be faster than IE and M Firefox. Also, the bookmark Bar is quite useful as I always use bookmarks and its one click less now since I dont have to click on 'bookmarks' before clicking on the specific bookmark (I know it sounds awfully lazy but I really do use bookmarks all the time and this is a significant improvement).

I like the easy way you can use tabs. It is easier than Firefox.

One huge disadvantage which may just stop me from using it is this:

It is not letting me scroll with the mouse wheel held down. I can scroll fine by turning the wheel but I don't like doing that as the page jumps down in bits. Holding down the wheel and scrolling is much easier as the page goes by smoothly. But this browser isn't letting me do it!

All in all, I'm going to try it for a few more days and then decide. Hopefully they'll fix the issue with the wheel soon.

How are your experiences?

I used Chrome for a couple of hours myself, and it's definitely still a Beta.

The speed is downright astonishing. However, the lack of click-scroll support irked me, too, and I'm used to having SO much more control over the browser than Google gives you in the tiny set of Options you're provided in this version.

Problems with Beta 2 (v 0.2.149.27):

- No click-scrolling!

- No control over which sites are allowed to store permanent cookies on your computer. It's all or nothing.

- No ability to create a computer shortcut to the page you're viewing. You have to copy the URL and paste it into a manually-created shortcut.

- No picking and choosing what personal information to save or not save between sessions (history, downloads, cookies, passwords, form fields). It's all (normal) or nothing (incognito).

- No keyboard shortcuts for .org and .net domain names in the address bar like in Firefox, everything's .com.

- Frequent soft-hangs when closing and switching tabs, where the computer hits 100% CPU usage for 10-15 seconds while the browser does who-knows-what in the background

- It's very cumbersome to search with any provider but the default (Google, natch)

- No Print Preview

- Its rendering engine has its own set of quirks completely separate from Mozilla and IE. This is going to cause headaches for the entire web development world.

- No "Undo Close Tab" feature like Firefox's. I miss this so much when I'm not using Firefox!

That's everything I found in 2-3 hours of playing around with it while working. Hopefully later versions will address the majority of these issues.

All in all, it's got promise! I'm just not anywhere near ready to make it my primary browser. Heh.

- It's very cumbersome to search with any provider but the default (Google, natch)

Same with maps. He refuses to remember maps.yahoo.com

- No Print Preview

Did FF have this? I always use pdfcreator for this :D

- No "Undo Close Tab" feature like Firefox's. I miss this so much when I'm not using Firefox!

Horrible

I mostly run Mac OS X Leopard on my MacBook which currently doesn't support Google Chrome, but I have XP installed on it as well so I use Chrome when I'm on that, and so far I love it! Finally, a browser that's good at what I need it to do instead of one I have to manually tweak and configure until it's semi-helpful.

This is the freaking fastest browser I've ever used.

DM is always the slowest site on my computer, but it loads REALLY fast with G CHrome. I'm using it almost exclusively.

My two complaints are:

1) No STOP icon

2) You can't hold the mouse wheel and scroll down slowly. I always do that and it's annoying that I now can't.

But the superb speed makes up for that! wowowowowow ;D ;D ;D

I think I'm going to check it out.  I'm using IE 7.0 right now, mostly because I'm too lazy to re-download Firefox (I got a new computer) and the new IE has tabs.  I vaguely remember Firefox being faster, but I can't really say, because I've checked locations and therefore networks since then.

Thanks thorum! I didn't realize the 'go' button becomes 'stop' when a site is loading.

IE is slower than firefox which is crawling compared to google chrome (IMO). I experienced a sudden difficulty with it today, all sites refused to load. I had to uninstall and re-install but I love it too much to stop. I expecially love the bookmark bar, where you just click on your bookmark instead of searching down lists.

Indeed, the drop down menus don't work for me either in Chrome.

One thing I like about it is the minimalist design.  User-friendly, but no excess buttons.

I haven't noticed any difference in the speeds, but I have a pretty good internet connection right now at home.  Once I get to school, I may notice a difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't had to many problems but the major one for me is it crashes regularly switching between word and acrobat reader which is unbelievably irritating when doing uni work and no google tool bar  :(

on the plus side its lightning fast and it looks nice (apple made a company doing it why cant google)

Archived