DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Late Channeling

Cockta

(If you haven't read any further than book 6 or 7 I think, you should not read on!)

So, in the latest books, Rand has having some difficulties with channeling. He seems to faint when he channels. I know this was something of the cleansing, but how will this affect Rand in TG? It would be stupid if he just fainted in the middle of the battle. I mean, it just wouldn't sound good.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's only when he tries to grab hold of it. Once he has it he is fine (unless I completely forgot about something). It first started when Moridin and Rand both balefired and the paths crossed, and wasn't to do with the cleansing. He actually hoped that clensing sadin would stop it, and he was partly dissapointed that the problem remained. I doubt it will cause issues with TG, and Rand will likely keep a strangle hold and not let go of the source =p

Who knows though it could be a plot twist !

Do you think that because of this Rand might somehow tap into the true power?

Also, how do you think this whole situation will play out in AMOL, and how will it be dealt with?

Rand will not tap the TP. That would require Shai'tan's permission. Rand will not get His permission. As for the second part, the body swap is a popular theory.

I hope LTT will fight, because of what you said Sabio. LTT just has a lot more knowlegde. I mean, Rand learned the death gates, or whatever they are called, and the laser-like beams that shoot out of his fingers. Rand learned all that from LTT, and LTT probably has a lot more up the sleve, so to say.

There are quite a few theories about this one, from the balefire streams being different types, to the simple fact that there _were_ two streams crossing regardless of the source.

I beleive that Morridin and Rand are linked because of that.  In so saying, Morridin _and_ Rand feel the same effects.  There are some references, and I only remember vague instances where the link was suggested.  Like when Rand seizes the source and see's Morridin's face.

Theoryland has some very good information on the topic.

In so saying, Morridin _and_ Rand feel the same effects.

Have we seen Moridin drawing on the Power and feeling the same effects or mentioning that he has felt the effects in one of the times we've seen his point of view? As far as I'm aware, all we have to suggest that Moridin feels similar effects is that Moridin has given up using the Source altogether and instead uses the True Power. Something we know through both Moridin's perspective and other Chosen noting the overabundance of saa floating across Moridin's eyes.

That would require Shai'tan's permission.

It is not wise to speak the name of the Great Lord.

Moridin has only ever used the true source. We haven't seen him channel the one power a single time in any PoV or any time another character saw him. This was well before the balefire incident. Iirc one of the male forsaken said he could be tought to use the one power and his response was the channel the true source.

Really all we know is that Mordin has had the other forsaken running around for him. That he wasn't at the cleansing, and that through Rand we know that he is feeling the affects whenever rand tries to grab the source. Rand saw ishy in either pain or anger I forget which.

Lol, I always say the DO, and never go as far as saying teh Great Lord, or Shai'tan, because DO is much easier to write.

Anyways, I have always wondered how the two of them got linked, and if that had anything to do with Rand's problem of grasping the source.

I thought that the problem of grasping the source came from that while Rand cleansed Saidin, he used so much of Saidin that he kinda wore himself down, that it was near burning him out.

Rand went to Shadar Logoth to kill Sammael. While there, he came across was saved by a mysterious wanderer. Said wanderer and Rand unleashed balefire on Mashadar to drive it off. Their streams of balefire crossed, bad stuff happens ("Both use balefire and their beams cross. Rand's head rings like a gong. With vision doubled he sees the other man holding his head." Encyclopaedia-WOT.) Wanderer disappears - Rand realizes he felt nothing from the Power so it must have been TP. After that the link starts manifesting whenever Rand grabs saidin. All clear now?

Moridin has only ever used the true source.
True Power. They all use the True Source. And some people would dispute your claim that he never used OP in the series, but I will leave it to those better acquainted with the evidence to argue the point.

In so saying, Morridin _and_ Rand feel the same effects.
Have we seen Moridin drawing on the Power and feeling the same effects or mentioning that he has felt the effects in one of the times we've seen his point of view? As far as I'm aware, all we have to suggest that Moridin feels similar effects is that Moridin has given up using the Source altogether and instead uses the True Power. Something we know through both Moridin's perspective and other Chosen noting the overabundance of saa floating across Moridin's eyes.

That would require Shai'tan's permission.
When Rand sees Moridin's face in KoD, he thinks the man looks like he's about to throw up. This is a fairly normal reaction to Rand seizing the Source. Also, Rand once experiences the symptoms when not grabbing the TS (in Far Madding). This is speculated to be Moridin testing the link by using saidin. Oh, and it may not be wise for you to speak the name of Shai'tan. I have nothing to fear.

Maybe LTT grabbing hold at the last battle will be how Rand wins, after all who would you want to fight the DO, Rand or LTT?  LTT's knowledge is far above Rands.
Last time LTT tried it, he screwed up royally, got the Source tainted, and cursed hundreds of thousands of men to insanity and rotting death over a period of at least three millennia. Not to mention the Breaking. Given that track record, I would be more than willing to let Rand have a go. After all, what's the worst that could happen?

Him failing because of massive lack of knowledge? If he gates too near SG teh DO might do some funky shit, and Rand could be in big trouble. Maybe LTT could advice Rand so that he may have some better chanses.

And I see that your cockyness shows again, Mr Ares. You think that you know so damn much that you have the right to go to every thread and slash'n'dash at everyone who might be mistaken, or don't know, because they haven't read WOT about a hundred times! Some people have other things to do than to learn WOT by memory and be on this forum so they can show their "uber skills" at knowing every piece of what happens to that person, and where this person is at that time.

And never forget that you are a mortal like every other here on this forum, so don't pretend you are something you are not, it just doesn't suit you. In fact, it doesn't suit anybody.

It could be another strange effect of Balefire itself, rather than where it originated from. We know it can unravel time, and who knows what else.

On that note, though not entirely on queue with the original post.. Does anyone know if Balefire is fatal if it touches a non-lethal body part? example, a hand, foot, finger, hair, etc? (personally I'm thinking its not, otherwise it wouldn't take pieces out of buildings.. the entire building would just dissapear)

It could be another strange effect of Balefire itself, rather than where it originated from. We know it can unravel time, and who knows what else.

On that note, though not entirely on queue with the original post.. Does anyone know if Balefire is fatal if it touches a non-lethal body part? example, a hand, foot, finger, hair, etc? (personally I'm thinking its not, otherwise it wouldn't take pieces out of buildings.. the entire building would just dissapear)

A building is not alive, and thus has no thread in the Pattern for the balefire to burn.

Him failing because of massive lack of knowledge?
Yes, that's exactly what happened when LTT tried it.

And I see that your cockyness shows again, Mr Ares. You think that you know so damn much that you have the right to go to every thread and slash'n'dash at everyone who might be mistaken, or don't know, because they haven't read WOT about a hundred times! Some people have other things to do than to learn WOT by memory and be on this forum so they can show their "uber skills" at knowing every piece of what happens to that person, and where this person is at that time.
I have every right to disagree with anyone. You can disagree with me, if you want. Freedom of speech and all that. And I haven't read WoT a hundred times. I have read it once. I am on TSR on my first re-read. And others know far more about this series than me. Go and try this sort of thing on with Majsju or Luckers, if you dare. Or maybe Bob T Dwarf, or Cloglord, or Graendal's Favourite. They have all read the series more than me, and are far more likely to be aware of some minor bit of trivia I have forgotten. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, don't post. If you don't want to get into an argument with a bunch of obsessive nerds who know far too much about this series, why did you join a forum for obsessive nerds who know far too much about this series and are prepared to argue about it?

I have said this before, but it can be good with a reminder...If you have issues with other posters on a more personal level, use PM. This board is for discussing books, not personalities.

Otherwise I might have to start deleting stuff, and that is way too much work to keep me a happy puppy...

Maybe LTT grabbing hold at the last battle will be how Rand wins, after all who would you want to fight the DO, Rand or LTT?  LTT's knowledge is far above Rands.

Last time LTT tried it, he screwed up royally, got the Source tainted, and cursed hundreds of thousands of men to insanity and rotting death over a period of at least three millennia. Not to mention the Breaking. Given that track record, I would be more than willing to let Rand have a go. After all, what's the worst that could happen?

Well can't really blame Lewis about all that since it was try or the world was lost. I sort of blame the female Aes Sedai, who knows what would of happened had the female Aes Sedai agreed to come.  As for the taint no ones knows if the DO did it intentionally or if was a backlash from what they did.  Still Lewis actually has some knowledge and knows better weaves I still trust the guy who has been there before.   ;D  Plus let Lewis have the chance, give Lewis a chance to clear his name.   :D

Archived