DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stasis Boxes

cheyjade

2. In The Great Hunt, Ishamael has dozens, if not a hundred, Zomara serving darkfriends at a meeting. So..

a. The box he found must be pretty huge. Unless space is irrelevant inside.

b. Living beings can exist inside the boxes unharmed. Maybe other living beings jumped into a box at the last second to avoid a male Aes Sedai going nuclear.

A) I'm pretty sure that one of the great features of stasis boxes is that space is irrelevant, just like time. 'One cannot exist without the other...'

B) It could be a possibility, albeit a highly unlikely one. Would be useful to the light though.

Maybe with Semirhage available, Cadsuane can winkle that bit of information out of her.

What makes you think that anyone can 'winkle' information out of Semirhage, excepting the DO?

I was merely commenting on the arrogance of automatically assuming that Cadsuane could get information out of Semirhage that she does not wish to give (eg: telling a 'ignorant girl' where stasis boxes were and how to use them). Yes, Cadsuane may be determined and have very few morals, but Semirhage has been into the Pit of Doom etc.

I was merely commenting on the arrogance of automatically assuming that Cadsuane could get information out of Semirhage that she does not wish to give (eg: telling a 'ignorant girl' where stasis boxes were and how to use them). Yes, Cadsuane may be determined and have very few morals, but Semirhage has been into the Pit of Doom etc.

So had Mog, and Nyv/Elayne broke her and got some info... Egwene scared her stiffless. That said I keep thinking they captured Semi too easily, and it might of been a plan to get placed closer to Rand. Ishy states he already had someone with Rand, so he has well placed spy that could set it up.

Nobody automatically assumed anything. Well, except you automatically assuming that they automatically assumed something.

Maybe with Semirhage available, Cadsuane can winkle that bit of information out of her.
[emphasis added]

But your reasoning as to why Semirhage would resist questioning isn't exactly valid. The character who you share names with disproves that. Moghedien has been to the Pit of Doom, etc.

Just to be clear, I'm not sure how much information one could get out of Semirhage considering she made it her life's work to study torture. In fact, that's what got her kicked out of the White Tower and sent her on her way to the Shadow.

That said I keep thinking they captured Semi too easily, and it might of been a plan to get placed closer to Rand. Ishy states he already had someone with Rand, so he has well placed spy that could set it up.

It's been a while since I last read the later books. You might have a point there.. :)

But your reasoning as to why Semirhage would resist questioning isn't exactly valid. The character who you share names with disproves that. Moghedien has been to the Pit of Doom, etc.

But Moghedien is famous for avoiding and hating confrontation unless she is absolutely certain she will win. I'm sure that all of the Forsaken are a bit like this, but Moghedien always seemed to be the worst.

Nobody automatically assumed anything. Well, except you automatically assuming that they automatically assumed something.

Great piece of writing there..

Did you guys not see Maj just ask you all to cool it? Aside from which, this passive aggressive display is hardly effective.

Whether or not Cadsuane proves successful in interogating Semirhage i suspect that scene will be amazing to read. Moghedian is correct however... Semirhage's nature is very different to Moghedian's--much stronger and more resiliant. However, Cadsuane is if anything just as strong and resilient, and there is no way to predict how Semirhage will stand up to that.

There is no way to resolve such an issue until we see how RJ chose to play it out. There are no indicators in plot, or in prophecy... therefore its kind of a pointless discussion, don't you think? Certainly not worth getting riled up about.

And she can hardly tell Semi to "Tell us everything you know that might be useful to us", because that would take years, and stasisboxes would not exactly be on top of the list of things to tell.

Was it Egwene who ordered Mesanna* to tell her one new thing every day? If Semirhage sees stasis boxes as useless, and Cadsuane orders her to teach her something she doesn't ask about, that may come up.  MAY, I say. Just speculating here.

*[i meant moghedien..man i'm tired]

And she can hardly tell Semi to "Tell us everything you know that might be useful to us", because that would take years, and stasisboxes would not exactly be on top of the list of things to tell.

Was it Egwene who ordered Mesanna to tell her one new thing every day? If Semirhage sees stasis boxes as useless, and Cadsuane orders her to teach her something she doesn't ask about, that may come up.  MAY, I say. Just speculating here.

'Twas Moghedien...

But yes, either Egwene or Nynaeve ordered her to tell one new thing.  Rand did something similar with Asmodean, but it was two new things.

An argument is anytime two or more people have differing opinions. You call it a discussion, I call it an argument. It's the same thing.

I always associate the word argument with harsh words and negative feelings. So I'm glad we're both trying to avoid that. :)

What makes you think that anyone can 'winkle' information out of Semirhage, excepting the DO?

Semirhage is not invulnerable. I refuse to believe that about <I>anybody</I>. I think that Cadsuane may be able to because:

a. Nynaeve and Elayne, two naive and inexperienced girls, think to milk Moghedian for info. Egwene actually <I>frightens</I> her into giving up info. Cadsuane is smarter and more experienced than them..she'll think of it.

b. She's Cadsuane. She'll try. And she'll be confident enough to believe that she'll succeed.

c. If nothing else, her ally Sorielia may wander up and offer to help break her..

d. If a taveren happens to wander into the room, she may spill something VERY useful.

Like I said, I'm just theorizing about this whole topic.

Big difference is Moghedian is a coward and would do anything to save herself, Semirhage on the other hand has nothing but contempt for those of the modern age and thinks them beneath her. That in my opinion may be her weakness is she is so sure that they can't do anything to her and that she assumes her skill is so superior.

The Chosen feel uncomfortable around the gholams yes, but that doesn't mean that they don't realize that the beasts are incredibly powerful and incredibly useful. You cannot force a gholam to do anything physically considering their incredible speed, strength, and ability to fit through small spaces. And you can't, as you mentioned, use a wall of air to push them back as that wall of air is made with the Power and the second it touches them, it would dissolve.

Would it, as we have seen with Mats amulet it has its limits.  Can it just reach out and touch something with its hand and the weave dissolve?  Or is it power like Cas's and can disrupt weaves when it gets near?

That said I keep thinking they captured Semi too easily, and it might of been a plan to get placed closer to Rand. Ishy states he already had someone with Rand, so he has well placed spy that could set it up.

I wouldn't think this wouldn't be an option since no one would of known Cas's abilty to disrupt the weave of illusion or to be able to detect masking the ability to channel and sending a fireball at the person you want to capture you does seem a big risk.  Not to mention I would think a forsaken would balk at being told to give herself up to the enemy even if it was Mordin who ordered it. I mean would she risk them killing her on sight once they found out, even with Rand's dislike for killing women? Plus (partly my opinion and don't remember everything that was said)I think part of Moghedian's punishment was not only for training the DO's enemies but for being weak enough to get captured.  I think it seemed easy becuase of her lack of respect for anyone of this age being able to harm her. As for his well placesd spy it might be Weirmon (however you spell his name) since he is a DF.

Archived