DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tudors news... a new wife...

Emperor

I love this show... which means you will to.  If you don't subscribe to Showtime then your life isn't complete.  Or you get out much more than I do and therefore I secretly hate you.

Singer Joss Stone is joining the cast of Showtime's THE TUDORS in a significant role alongside Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

Stone will play Anne of Cleves, the fourth wife of Henry VIII (Rhys Meyers).

A daughter of a German nobleman, Anne was betrothed to Henry in a marriage treaty between the Cleves Court and the king's chancellor after Henry was shown a portrait of her.

Upon Anne's arrival to England, Henry was disappointed in her looks and soon found a legal way to have the marriage annulled.

The new series has just started over here in the UK...and I have to say, it's utter rubbish. There again, I don't like things that are historically incorrect. If you can't even get the correct Pope, why bother??

i love this show!!!!

so they're going to do two wifes in this seasion then?? 

i still hate how Catherine got treated....  it wasn't fair to her :(

have you guys watched a movie called "The other Boleyn Girl"  it takes a very different look at the situation between Anne and Henry.  made me look at her character in a different way as well...

i've only seen Season one, but i know what happens to Anne.  and that Henry was going for the affectiosn of one of her maids in waiting; the one that said she saw Anne sleeping with her brother.

Boys?

Girls?  Say girls! 

If it's JD I am going to throw up a little in my mouth.

Um, girls? But only because you told me to say it, and you're the boss.  ;D

Actually, it's a combination of exciting things like weddings, packing (I'm moving in a couple weeks), house/farmsitting (so I'm rarely even home to do the aforementioned packing, which makes it difficult to finish), hanging out with M while she's still in town for the summer, etc., and some not so fun stuff with my family (nothing disasterous, just sad and stressful for the time being).

I cannot express in words how DISGUSTED I am that JOSS BLOODY STONE is playing Anne of Cleves? Whose completely RETARDED idea was that one?

The Other Boleyn Girl trashed the history, The Tudors trashed the history... The history is exciting enough there is no need to change it! *facepalm*

Hey!  We Americans like distorted history.  As far as I am concerned, The Tudors is stone cold fact.  Much like how the American Indians kindly gave up their land and Iraq had WOMDs. 

The only good thing about The Other Boleyn girl was SJ.  How old is Natalie Portman?  She seems to be about 14 years old and never ages.  Eric Bana can't act. 

The Tudors, while it may not be factual, is a great series!  The acting is top of the line and the plot moves along well.

I like the Tudors for the entertainment value (and Rhys-Myers...), but the History is appauling. Not even bad. Simply awful  :P

SJ was pretty good in The Other Boleyn Girl actually. The best out of the three main actors. But the book version is A LOT better.

Also, can someone explain to me how someone reasonable good looking (i.e. Joss Stone) is playing someone who was known as the "Mare of Flanders"? Have the casters gone crazy? Anne of Cleves was known to be butt ugly...hence why Henry VIII got a divorce!

<History Geek Moment>

Anne of Cleves is largely considered to have actually been quite attractive. Her issues seem to have stemmed from her lack of political awareness or education. Henry had a thing for powerful, intelligent women (but not too powerful  ;)) and Anne wasn't any of these things. This was also a marriage of politics, something none of Henry's previous marriages had been and Henry, quite simply, was in love with being in love. Anne didn't entice Henry as a person, she didn't adore him (Henry did like adoration,), she wasn't clever enough to use her sexuality as a tool (a la Anne Boleyn) and as such, their marriage was never consummated. Anne's supposed 'ugliness' was a facade for Henry's own issues with his marriage, so he got a speedy divorce.

</History Geek Moment>

On the other hand, JOSS STONE IS A CRAZY CASTING DECISION! *ahem*

Heh, an American Idol reject trying to make a career as an Alanis-wannabee?

Well, if she is not a far better actor than a "musician", I predict a sudden death for the show, because that video royally sucked. I bet barm adores her though, and has her poster right next to his Celine poster ;D

Well, she's not american and she's not an american idot reject ;) She's from the UK (Not too far from me actually) and she was signed at 17 and everyone loves her. But aside from finding her annoying as a musician, interviews and television appearances have led me to the belief that she is a very, very annoying person.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

While my library doesn't always update it's music collection quickly (unless Cheap Trick throws some stuff their way for their collection section), they do a really good job with collecting series and movies.  I picked up the Tudors and enjoyed it (yeah... JRM was the reason I picked it up).  Can't wait to see more!  Not really sure what to think about Joss being casted, and have been too distracted by Rhys-Myers to care about the historical accuracy.

Yeah, it's not accurate, I mean, seriously, did anybody thing it was Supposed to be accurate with JRM cast as Henry????  The show is about Sex and Scandal.  At least season 1 was (that's all I've seen so far as I don't have cable).  Personally, I watch it for JRM and the costumes.  Sometimes the costumes kill my eyes as they're not accurate, but the costumer has blatantly said she wanted to modernize the costumes on purpose.  But many of the costumes are actually purchased from other Fantastic Costume Dramas, so they're almost all pretty good eye candy.

Archived