DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Weapons Training (Open: All Soldiers)

Now we start your weapon's training" Covai explained to the Soldier as they arrived in front of the armory. Covai was back to the Tower, and back to training. What fun. But at least today he'd have a chance to hit someone. "Go inside, pick a weapon that you feel comfortable with. Dont pick it just cause it looks shiney. Pick something that you feel comfortable holding. Its a good sign the weapon matches you. Dont be afraid to give the weapon a few swings to get the feel of it, just make sure you dont knock anything over."

"If you can't find anything, or simply have no idea, come back out. I've got a few ideas of weapons that you could match up with."

Covai waited as the Soldier went about to pick his weapon. Grabbing a training sword from one of the racks, Covai went and stood outside, waiting for him to come out.

Geirrin stood in front of the armory at attention as he listened to instructions given him by the Storm Leader, Covai.  Weapons training, he couldn't say that he understood why someone channeling saidin would need weapons training though what did he know, fish, that was what he knew.

He stood staring the weapon racks.  Pick a weapon you feel comfortable with he said.  Geirrin looked for a fishing gaff though he didn't expect to find one.  Hmm...a staff or a polearm perhaps, he looked them over though nothing struck him as comfortable.  It seemed like they would be cumbersome to carry around.

He couldn't walk out there with nothing even though Covai had said to come back if he was unable to decide.  He hefted a few swords giving them a few practice cuts which would make any trained swordsman fall on the ground laughing. 

Finally he found sword with a blade as long as his arm.  It tapered slightly near the point so that it looked like it would be good for slashing as well as thrusting.  He hefted it then took a few practice cuts.  This one felt balanced in his hand, it had the best feel of those he had picked up.  Satisfied with his selection he returned to Covai.     

OOC: Just a general note, Martyn's WS is 7. According to the BT site Covai is 10 so he'd still win against me, but i figured i'd mention just in case ^^;

IC:

Martyn walked over to the weapons rack where all kinds of training weapons were on display. He tested a couple fo the different swords in his hands until he ultimately decided on a katana. Though it was a bit different than the standard issue longsword he had been trained with, he took a liking to the balance and weight of the weapon, making a few test swings before nodding to himself in approval and joining the row of waiting Soldiers who had already picked a weapon.

Though he wondered whether or not he should reming Covai that he was better with a blade than most Soldiers -- and even some of the Dedicated, for that matter -- he decided against it. He had told Arath back when he joined that he had been a soldier for a while, and assumed Arath told the instructor. If not... Well, at least he'd be giving a few people a good workout.

He looked his instructor over. A short man, but he knew all too well that looks could decieve when it came to skill with a blade. From the way he held himself, Martyn guessed Covai was at least as good as he was, if not better, which reassured him in his choice not to bring up his past in the military. It'd be bad for the class in general if a student managed to beat the instructor after all.

Martyn

This is going to be amusing...

Covai yawned as he scratched the back of his head with the blunt side of his training sword. Well, both sides were pretty damn blunt to be honest, since they didn't want soldiers cutting each other. Brusies would heal, but limbs were pretty hard to reattach. Switching to the pommel, Covai managed to get a real bothersome spot before his two trainees returned. Both had chosen single edged weapons, although one was more pronounced that the other. It would limit some of their moves, but would also let them use some two handed techinques without slicing their own hands off. Stretching a little as he smiled, Covai stepped foward, sword lazily resting across the back of his shoulders.

"So, you two ready to go? I haven't had a chance to see either of you two in action so we'll spar a little first to see what you're made of. I'll decide where we go from there." Covai maintained his neutral position as he waited. They were both an equal distance from him, so it would be interesting to see who stepped up first.

Covai had a habit of waiting for the recruits to make the first move before he adopted a fighting stance. It was always interesting to see who would wait for him to do so, or how long they'd wait for it before attacking. It serves as a good indication as to how aggressive they'd be. Those who waited a short time, if at all were suited to more aggressive styles to suit their personality. Those who waited, not wanting to strike a man they deemed unready, whilst more polite he supposed, seemed to suit defensive patterns better.

OOC: Have fun guys. Just have Covai dodge/parry your first few strikes before returning a blow or two. Martyn, feel free to push a little harder, but be prepared to be knocked back ;P After you've each had a go, Covai will show you some forms to suit each of you.

It was obvious that the other trainee, Martyn was his name he thought, had some skill with the sword he carried.  He just seemed comfortable with it, like it belonged to him.  Geirrin on the other hand was useless with the thing.

Covai asked if they were ready and he nodded.  Geirrin was obviously the lesser skilled though he was careless possessing little patience.  He looked at Martyn though when he did not immediately make a move Geirrin began walking toward Covai.  It was like a little fish swimming into a school of silverpike but Geirrin was a fool at times with little care for his own safety.

Geirrin paused just out of reach of Covai's sword, well he thought he was out of reach.  He waited briefly to see if Covai would strike first.  Seeing that he didn't Geirrin threw all caution to the wind swinging the sword with all his might.  Covai dodged it with extreme ease as if he was out for an evening stroll. 

Geirrin hacked and slashed like there was no tomorrow though nothing came close to hitting Covai.  Covai let him hack and slash away without returning a blow.  Suddenly Covai struck in the blink of an eye, before Geirrin knew it his sword was flying through the air.  It landed on the ground a few spans from where he stood.  Geirrin just stared at it amazed, then a sinsiter smile formed on his face as he looked back at Covai.

Geirrin retrieved his sword then watched as Martyn and Covai began to spar.  Geirrin hoped that Martyn fared better than he had.

OOC: Hey, I hope you don't mind me joining this one a little late. Oh, and Kassian/Ze'el has a vendetta against weapons, he sees them as useless. The only blade he'll touch is a knife. Bout half way through the first paragraph I realized that you three are most like the ones that are going to post on my arrival, and now I'm posting having not met you. So, I figure that the timeline in DM is already screwed up enough, it can handle this.

IC: Ze'el was walking around the Tower grounds, (although it wasn't much of a tower) clad in his black coat. His collar was unadorned (he had learned that the pins symbolized rank here) for he had just come to the Tower a few days ago. He found himself lost, however, and wandering around looking for the Inn. He didn't find the Inn, however he did find three people sparring. Two were Soldiers like himself, and the other was an Asha'man.

Ze'el frowned as he watched them hack at eachother; the first one was pathetic, being destroyed without even coming close to landing a hit, but the second was doing better. He never really liked swords, and had always seen them as useless hunks of metal. Unfortunately, Ze'el knew that to advance in rank he would be forced to at least take some classes, but perhaps he could get out of that. His hands were shaking without consciously trying; he had been making them shake for so long that he didn't have to think about it anymore. Perhaps he could get out of weapons training because of his hands, just like he had avoided being trained by the Children.

Ze'el leaned against a tree as he watched, unknowingly already spotted by the Asha'man.

Kassian "Ze'el" Loreen

Only dumb people wave around big metal sticks

It had been a good while since Martyn last sparred against someone even remotely close to his level of experience, and he was looking forward to finding out. Despite that, he had waited until Geirrin went first so as not to demoralise the man before class had started due to the gap between them in raw skill.

When Covai had apparently learned all he wanted about Geirrin's current ability, he counterattacked, sending the young Tairen's sword flying. Figuring this was his cue, he stepped forward, slipping into a combat stance in one fluid motion. He knew he was sorely out of practise, but that didn't mean he wouldn't be trying his hardest. After all, there were things the body never really forgot.

After waiting for Covai to take a stance of his own, he attacked. To someone looking over the two sparring matches, the differences between Geirrin and Martyn would be clear: Where the Tairen simply attacked as much as he could, Martyn took a different approach, relying mostly on feints and blows that changed direction in midswing, trying to unbalance his opponent and make himself unpredictable. He had used the same tactic against Myrddraal way back when, and seeing as he was still alive there should be some truth to it.

Still, his blade failed to reach Covai, much as he expected. A low swing was blocked, the counterattack parried, a stab dodged. As the spar raged on, Martyn felt his old skill returning, even attempting some attacks he was not yet proficient in. When Covin had decided teh time was up, he launched an attack of his own again, and even though Martyn managed to parry two of them, the third sent him and his weapon flying back. Martyn rolled back into a low crouch, but one look at his weapon told him it would have been too far to get before Covin would have reached him with his weapon. Admitting defeat, he stood up, gave Covai a respectful bow to congratulate him with his victory and picked up his sword to stand over with Geirrin again. There was a third person as well, he noticed, maybe he would be the next one to try?

Martyn

Waves around medium sized metal sticks ;)

Covai returned Martyn's bow with a nod of his head. The man had done well. Where Covai doubted Geirrin had ever held more than a dinner knife in his hand, Martyn showed skill. Too much to just be natural or beginer's luck. The man had held a blade before, but not recently. His moves whilst solid, lacked something. He'd give the man a month or so before their proper rematch. Grinning inwardly, Covai thought he might even work up a sweat when the time came.

Speaking of timing.. The group's latest member seemed to have arrived.

"You enjoying the shade over there soldier?" Covai's voice held an edge he rather bothered with. Soldiers who tried and failed miserably were still better than ones who never tried at all. He may have just been waiting for a moment to join in...so he should have just stood to the side and waited. Whilst never one for protocol himself, newcomers who didn't know their place was another matter. It was a strange paradox. If a soldier saluted him, he'd tell the man to relax and stop being so stuffy. Fail to salute him without prior indication, and they'd find themselves cleaning the latrines for a week.

"Pick it up" Covai motioned to the sword on the ground between them. Covai's arm started to move to motion Martyn and Geirrin back, but they were already moving. Twisting his feet a little, Covai leaned into a more agressive stance. If the man backed down the light could burn him for all Covai cared. If he stepped up though....well he'd just have to see what the man was made of before he made up his mind any further than that.

OOC: Good luck Ze'el ;P

Mother's milk in a cup! Light burn this Asha'man- no, not the Light- Dark One take his soul and torture him for all of eternity! Ze'el was caught between a rock and a hard place; he couldn't refuse, not only because the man before him was above him in rank, but also because Kassian was far too meek to refuse an Asha'man. He would be challenged to keep his hands shaking while focusing on not getting beaten up by the other man.

"I-I'm sorry, Asha'man, but I'm afraid I have no skill with a sword, so this won't be very challenging." The Asha'man seemed insulted that he had stayed at a distance, so perhaps he could convince this man that it was just because of his meekness. Ze'el ducked his head and picked up the blade, holding it in his hands. The shaky hands weren't too obvious, but with the sword in his hands the wobbling blade gave them away imediately. Ze'el tried to form a stance that would be effective- but one thing he didn't have to fake was his complete incompatance with weapons.

He looked towards the Asha'man, but kept his eyes on the man's chin, as if not wanting to meet his eyes. Ze'el swung his blade towards the man, but hesitated before coming close, as if afraid to actually hurt the man. He continued on like this for a while, waiting for the other man's reaction.

Kassian "Ze'el" Loreen

Trying to get out of hot water

OOC: So yeah, I didn't know if Kassian's "meekness" would make Covai angrier or forgiving, so I'll leave that up to you

Looks like he was right Covai mused as his first attack knocked the blade from the soldier's hands. The man was a look meeker up close than from a distance. Covai didn't know if he had misjudged, or the man's attitude had just been shaken from suddenly having a Storm Leader with a weapon calling him out. The fire had gone out from facing such an inexperienced fighter. Mostl soldiers could at least swing a sword, this man held onto his like it was poisonous snake or something. He was more afraid of hurting himself than anything.

Nodding for him to pick up his weapon again, Covai motioned for him to go standed next to the other two. "Alright, I've got an idea of your skills at the moment. But still was only a brief practice. Each out you, call out your name and what weapons, if any you can use. I've had woodsman who can shoot a hare in the dark at a hundred paces and still have trouble holding a blade. Let me know if there's anything you're good at."

OOC: Just a chance to bring up a bit of character background for each of you. Should help the others get a better feel for your character :)

Geirrin watched as the Storm Leader sparred with the newcomer.  Geirrin thought that he had possessed no skill but at least he could swing the thing.  The soldier seemed afraid of the weapon and was easily disarmed by Covai.

"Alright, I've got an idea of your skills at the moment. But still was only a brief practice. Each out you, call out your name and what weapons, if any you can use. I've had woodsman who can shoot a hare in the dark at a hundred paces and still have trouble holding a blade. Let me know if there's anything you're good at."

"Name's Geirrin Hale" he shouted then a little softer "I've no skill with weapons, I know how to use my fists though."  He shrugged "Only thing I'm any good at is sailing and fishing and some would disagree."  He finished with a smile.

Ze'el was relieved as his ploy worked, and the Storm Leader seemed to quickly loose intrest in him- as well as his anger. Ze'el was easily disarmed (not that he was upset at having his sword gone from his hands) and told to stand in a line with his fellow soldiers. Ze'el kept himself from rolling his eyes at their instructor's short story- obviously it was meant for him. Still the undercurrent was clear: while he couldn't weild a sword, he was expected to at least be able to do something.

Pondering his options, Ze'el waited for the first Soldier to reply before thinking of something to say. "My name is Kassian Loreen, and I'm not much of a fighter... I have used a knife before, though... if just to skin some animals. I'm here because I want to spread the Light and this was the best way I could think of to do it." The lie was well practiced, especially with the hidden half-truths. He was using the Tower only for a means to an end, but they didn't need to know that.

"I-I've never even thought about weilding a weapon... because of my hands." Ze'el held his shaking hands up so that they could see them clearly.

Covai eyed Kassian's shaking hands. He had seen their like, both in young boys and old men. The former were terrified of battle, and the latter couldn't forget the ones they had seen. This man was shaping up to be a hassle. Still, not all men survived the training. Those who did were weapons to serve the dragon. If this man couldn't even fight....

"Tell me then Kassian. Just how is it you expect to be able to spread the 'Light' as you put it? You expect to be able to hold the Shadow back with words? Or does your skill with Saidin surpass that of yours with a sword?"

OOC: Just so how know i'm not picking on you here. I'm just trying to give you a bit more attention , since I've got RPs running with the other two already. Let me know if you think I'm being harsh :)

OOC: first off, there actually are people who have shaky hands naturally, not because of trauma, and second feel free to torment Kassian as much as you want to :P just be ready to face his wrath after you succeed in making him a weapon.

IC: Ze'el fought back a malicious scowl as the Asha'man challenged him. He wasn't prepared for that question because he couldn't give a flaming goat about the Light, but for appearance sake he had to pretend. Quick to think up a responce, Ze'el thought of a suitable one- it was a mantra repeated by the Children so many times that Ze'el didn't think he could forget.

"Asha'man Covai! No one is so far gone that they cannot turn back to the Light! I'm sure that if we could just talk enough then we could save so many souls from eternal torment in the Shadow. We have the power to make them listen! Swords... swords can only kill but the One Power can do so much... like Healing!" Ze'el hoped that the Asha'man didn't question him too far because he had just excausted his knowledge of the One Power.

Ze'el knew that he was potentially making a bad decision, disaproving of just about everything that the other man stood for. However Ze'el did truely think that it was a waste to use the Power only as a Weapon... he couldn't imagine all the things that could be done with it- and he barely knew a thing about the Power.

Joar ran towards the trainning area, late for practice.  From now onhe told himself I need to wake up before dawn not at dawn.  Otherwise my morning exercise will make me late AGAIN  It wasnt the first time he had been late because of his morning routine.  He almost missed his last merchant train because of it.  He had to run to catch them down the road, luckily he was good at that. 

He almost didnt want to join the class as he came up on the group where it sounded as if another Soldier was actually arguing with Covia, the Ashaman that had greeted him the previous day.  Joar ran up and stopped a few feet behind the other Soldier as he was "lecturing" Covia.

"Asha'man Covai! No one is so far gone that they cannot turn back to the Light! I'm sure that if we could just talk enough then we could save so many souls from eternal torment in the Shadow. We have the power to make them listen! Swords... swords can only kill but the One Power can do so much... like Healing!"

Joar couldnt help but smile a little at the man's words, they sounded like something the Children would say.  Not that he himself had much dealings with them, except on occasion during his travels.  Luckily Joar was behind the man so he could not see Joar's snide grin.  Which quickly dissapeared as Covia looked at him and started to speak.

Covai rolled his eyes. "You're a light blinded fool if you believe what just came out of your mouth. The same goes for the rest of you." Covai's gaze took in the rest of the soldiers assembled. "Let me explain something to all of you"

"The shadow is not to be reasoned with. Trollocs, Myrddrall, Shadowspawn, Darkfriends and the Black Ajah.." Covai had heard talk as most Asha'man had of an Ajah loyal to the Dark One. The thought made his spine shiver, true or not. Those damn witches were bad enough to deal with, even those who had sworn to the light. "..none of these are going to reason with you. If they try, its only to get you to lower your guard so it can run a blade or claw through your gut. If a trolloc is smart enough to talk to you, its smart enough for you to kill it before it does anything else."

"We are not here under some misguided ideal that the light can be spread to everyone in the world. We do not intend to convert everyone to our way of thinking. The witches in Tar Valon have been doing that for years, and have had rulers dancing to their strings from behind the scences for just as long. If you want to be a part of that, get out of here before I kill you myself. Self centred fools with misguided notions of granduer or those believing that doing the creators work makes then surperior to others make me sick."

"You are here to become Asha'man, Guardians. People who will defend something when all else is lost and all hope is gone. Carve that into your thick skulls or get the hell out of here. Thats the deal. You can go back to whatever life it is, live out the rest of your days in fear of the taint driving you mad before you kill everything you hold dear...or you can pledge your allegience to the Dragon Reborn. We'll teach you how to control your power, we'll teach you how to kill those who would kill what you hold most dear before they the chance...we'll teach you how to survive. Light, you might even be able to do something worthwhile before your end, but thats up to you."

Covai looked at the soldiers before him. "Have I made myself clear, or do some of you need to leave before I remove you?"

At first Geirrin thought that the Storm Leader's tirade was directed at the new soldier though it quickly became apparent that the later portion was directed at them all.  Geirrin had never seen Covai like this before, he seemed ready to tear them all to bits if they gave the wrong answer.

He thought about the questions carefully before answering so the Storm Leader didn't burn him to cinders.  "Clear Sir!...I am staying Sir!"  He stood rigidly at a position of attention.

Ze'el bit back a scowl as he was forced to acknowledge defeat. The Asha'man before him could snap him like a twig, there was no denying that. With the One Power or a weapon, Ze'el didn't stand a sliver of a chance against the man before him, so he would merely have to adapt and temporarily concede. Acting sufficiently cowed by the man's outburst, but he could see the sense behind the man's words. If he truely cared about the Light perhaps he would be swayed by the man, but perhaps not.

Ze'el nearly cursed as one of the soldiers snapped to attention and shouted his intentions of staying. Now he would have to copy or else he would undoubtably bring the Asha'man's wrath upon himself. Snapping to attention himself, Ze'el cried. "Yes, sir. I understand, sir." He did his best to keep his contempt off his face. If there was anything that he despised more than weapons, it was having to show blind obedience to another person. He wondered if it was worth it to come here in the first place, but the thoughts of how much more amusing this place was rung in his mind.

There were a few things that rung in Ze'el's mind though. Out of the man's entire speach, he picked out the important parts. They would teach him to kill. Ze'el had always had mixed feelings about murder... it was so enjoyable, but so... messy. He hated having to struggle and sweat, much prefering to be calm and passive. As long as these tainted madmen gave him the power to do what he desired, Ze'el didn't really care what else he had to do.

Martyn sighed, though he managed to keep it hidden from Covai. Oh, he agreed all right, but what he mentioned would happen when he'd go mad was exactly what he'd been afraid would have happened had he not sought out the Black Tower. And even now that he did, there was no guarantee, no way around that barrier called the Taint that was enough to drive a man insane in it's own right.

- "No second thoughts here either, Storm Leader. I made sure of that when i decided to come here."

His voice had still retained some measure of sadness though. Kill everything you hold dear... His wife would be long dead from old age by now, his daughter near it. If he had any other living kin left, he doubted they'd even remember him. Even though the thought hurt, right now, he was a weapon, one without ties binding him to the world. And he'd make the Shadow pay for what it did to his homeland even if he was the last one standing to do it.

Martyn

Leave? Are you kidding?

Covai nodded. He had made his point. Either they'd remember it, or they'd loose their heads, whether it was to him or not was simply yet to be seen. Sheathing his weapon, Covai wrapped the void around him before he spoke.

"Good. Now let me show you a glimpse of what a guardian can do."

Seizing control of the source, Covai barely noticed the sickening feel of the taint. Whenever he was angry, Covai felt it was more natural to wield the source that not. The constant battling to maintain control and prove his ability over the Dark One's corruption was a great way to work out his frustrations.

Raising his fist before bringing in down sharply infront of him, Covai tore a jaggard spike of earth upwards from the ground. Normally he used more subtly, but the light blinded man's questions had irked the wrong side of him. Grabbing the side of the pillar as best he could, unable to get his hand it entirely, Covai poured fire and earth into in, removing his hand slowly to reveal his new weapon.

A spear formed entirely from Saidin resting in his hands, earth carved from the One Power formed the shaft, and Covai could almost feel the taint pulse from the fire focused as its blade. Koras Sendaro, Covai's own mentor had been a big fan of this weave, and terrorised numerous recruits with it, himself included. Covai could hear his teacher's words echoing in his head.

"An Asha'man man needs no weapons, they are one unto themselves. No King commands us, no swordsman can stand against one who can wield the elements at their command.." Covai swung the spear in a low arch infrom of him, bring it to rest across his shoulders. "..and no damn Shadowspwan can survive the wrath of an Asha'man." Covai fed more fire into his spear's blade, allowing it to pulse with his energy. "By the time I'm done with you, you will have the strength and the power to stand against the tide of the Shadow. That is the only reason why you are here. Friends, Family, Power, Morality, the Light..none of it will mean a thing if no one is standing at the end of Tar'Mon'Gaidon to enjoy it."

"Class is dismissed for today. Tomorrow I'll start showing you three how to kill. It won't be pretty, and it won't be nice. You have until the morning to prepare youself for what's to come. Do what you will until then."

With that Covai turned his back on the three soldiers, letting the spear crumbled as he release the power that controled it. Wrapped within the torrent of Saidin, Covai made his way back to his chambers. He didn't even think to look back at the men...they had one afternoon to remain themselves. After that, they would belong to the Dragon for true.

OOC: Class is over guys. Post a reply if you like after Covai walks off, the classes will be up as soon as I've finished devouring my Pizza for dinner :P

OOC: I'm flattered, I've managed to irritate the eternally-calm Covai ;D

IC: Ze'el's eyes lighted up at the display of the Power. He had yet to touch the Source yet, but he loved all the examples of the Power that he could witness. Ze'el imagined himself using that Power... manipulating the Earth and Fire so easily like the man in front of him did. It was exhilerating to feel the rush of it. Ze'el had not advanced far enough to consciously touch Saidin, but he could feel the weave that the Asha'man used, he could feel that it was far beyond his power.

As much as he despised weapons of steel, the blade made of the Power intruiged him to no end. Perhaps it was just because the blade was a construct of the Power, or maybe it was something different, but it still fasinated Ze'el to witness the fiery weapon. As the Asha'man let the spear crumble into nothingness, Ze'el noticed with a start that the man was giving a speach and was trying to impress them. He bit back a laugh as Covai left looking quite satisfied with himself.

Seeing that they were dismissed, he scowled at the weapons laying on the ground and quickly made his way back to his quarters. He was glad to be released from the class that he had been inconveniently pulled into, and left quickly incase the Asha'man changed his mind and wanted to add something else.

Martyn winced as he saw the display of power. Though he could understand why Covai had done it -- Light, most drill sergeants worth their salt had a trick or two up their sleeves to impress the green recruits with -- he still couldn't get himself over his own prejudice of channeling the tainted half of the One Power. Covai's words were true though, his experience made it quite clear to him that there would be no way a regular swordsman would stand a chance against a trained Asha'man, but still...

The mental torment was maddening in itself. On one side, he had come here specifically to learn how to control saidin before it got control of him. On the other, he was taught since birth that men channeling were evil, leaving nothing but suffering and destruction in their wake. Though the women were treated with much more respect, he was no woman. He was fighting as hard a battle as during his days campaigning in Malkier, but this time, the opponent was himself.

Martyn

Doesn't know whether to curse or thank his block.

Again Geirrin was amazed finding another use for the power.  He never thought of creating his own weapons.  After the others left, Geirrin stood there playing with weaves seeing what weapons he could create.

"An Asha'man man needs no weapons, they are one unto themselves. No King commands us, no swordsman can stand against one who can wield the elements at their command.."   The Storm Leader's words ringing in his ears.  They were making him into a weapon, he knew that part but he never thought before of where that put him in the food chain.  He shook the thought from his head focusing back on creating weapons, he had to become a weapon first before he could be of any use.