DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Loraine Sedai, Kynwric, Thera and the Merry Band of Trainees Take a Trip.

_Kynwric_

So it had all happened, Loraine was heading to Caemlyn for Tower business, whether official or her own he did not know, and then further South to investigate some happenings along the Andoran and Amadacian border. The letters had been draw up and they were preparing to leave the morrow after next. In addition, per a conversation Thera and he had had, she was bringing along a couple of trainees for their finishing off. All were nearing the end of the training and about to be christened as Tower Guard and she thought it wise that they get some practical experience. Kyn agreed and so had Lor, so their party had swelled a little. Something unusual for Kyn and Lor, as they usually travelled very alone. Once it had been settled who was indeed going Kyn had sent letters to each, assigning tasks to each to have completed by the time they departed. To Perivar he had given the tasks of arranging their tentage, as the entire trip would not be spent in Inns. He had requested One for himself and Loraine, one for Thera and one for the Trainees to share. There were no specifics given other than the need for them. In Jasine's letter it had requested for him to requisition supplies for five days travel. In the letter to Arath he had requested that horses be arranged from the stables, one for each of the trainees, a pair of pack animals and that the Head Groom have Thera's, Loraine's and his own horse ready to be ridden afar on the the appointed morning. Having had all those dispatched by a grinning Accepted who was looking forward to a trip to the Yard, he even neglected to remind her to return straight away.

Kyn then sat back and looked over his own list of things to take, his and Loraine's personal items, the things they never went anywhere without. He already packed most of it and would finish tomorrow, that he was rechecking already marked his nerves as already short. He disliked the idea of taking Loraine into Amadacia, but he knew she would insist upon it, if only to investigate the reports of banditry. Banditry was not what either he nor she thought was actually going on, they were both certain that it was Whitecloaks or those associated with them making life hard on the people living across the border.

He heard the door open behind him and knew it was Loraine returning, he had felt her creeping closed for several moments and he turned to look upon her again, a smile on his face. "You're still as pretty as the day I took that sword out of your hands..."

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To say she was nervous would be a gross understatement. She'd been to the libraries three times in the last day and nothing she found about border disputes along the Camelyn border did anything to settle her nerves. She'd gone through reports from Eyes and Ears with a fine toothed comb and nothing seemed right. There was something that seemed missing in each one. Word had come granting her permission to investigate. "Delicately." She sighed and left the stacks again, knowing that she'd need her rest if she was making this trip in the morning and knowing she was being accompanied by so many trainees... She shook her head, fighting the urge to clench her hands in her skirts.

Amadicia made her nervous. Always had. She'd never spent much time there, which was odd considering that's where Kynwric was from. She'd felt horrible about his not seeing his sister all these years, but she just couldn't bring herself to trust in the goodness of people to keep her from crossing paths with White Cloaks. She didn't trust THEM, at all. And something about this trip, about those reports, just truly didn't sit well with her. They should corner Thera before they left, she'd have to say something to Kynwric about it. Thera was well aware of where they were going and why, but she wasn't sure she grasped just how concerned the reports made Loraine.

She entered her room, feeling Kyn's irritation and hoping that nothing would delay their leaving. He usually got a bit antsy before a trip like this. Nothing irritated him as much as forgetting something small that they needed later. She smiled as she raised her eyes to his, his voice soothing her worry that they were going to be offput. "You're still as pretty as the day I took that sword out of your hands..."

"It's one of the perks of this gift, I believe. Only the eyes seeing you change." She smiled and closed the door, approaching him and settling into the chair next to him. "Have you shown the reports to Thera?"

He nodded, "Of course I did. She figures the same as I did, Whitecloaks or sympathizers crossing the borders to create trouble... just being a little more annoying this time. The one that really bothers me is the one where it is said they took the two girls off prisoner. That is not like the Whitecloaks. Scaring the light out of a few folks, sure. Marking some Dragon Fang's, yep... kidnapping, no." He packed away the last of the things and stood, stretching his back. "Besides, she really wants this crew to get some actual saddle time before they're let loose. Something about driving the devils from them..." He shrugged "... Warder finishing school, I guess."

She nodded slowly and bit her lip, her hands folded neatly in her lap as she pondered what tomorrow would bring. She had no doubt they could handle their own, Thera and Kyn would see to that. How many of them had used their blades on something other than a pell or a spar, though? When it cut flesh, would they be prepared for the consequences? She closed her eyes and was nearly sorry she was taking this chance with them. She was positive that what innocence they had left would be gone by the time they saw these walls again. It was like training her sons to kill. The thought made her shudder. She knew Kyn had taught them a bit before they'd left, but...

She sighed and pushed herself to her feet. "Did you bring some oil back with you? My sword needs tending before this trip and I need something to do with my hands before trying to force myself to rest."

Perivar sat on his bunk in the barracks sharpening his bastard sword as he ticked things off the list he carried in his head.  The ticks beating in time with the rasping sound of the whetstone on the sword's edge.  He was finished with his daily routine, his fitness training and work with the forms complete.  Now he sat sharpening his sword though light knows the sword did not need it, he thought he could have shaved with it but he needed something to keep him busy.  The smell of the oiled blade had a calming effect on him. 

He had been a nervous wreck ever since the grinning Accepted handed him his orders from Master Kynwric.  He opened the parchment like there was a prize inside eagerly reading the instructions.  When he had looked up from reading the Accepted was gone.  In his excitement he was unsure that he had properly thank the Accepted or had even shown her the proper courtesies.  Light what was wrong with him, it was not like he had never been on campaign before with his father.  It was not like they were taking a trip into the blight.  Even so this was a tremendous opportunity for the trainees to get out of the Tower, get some practical experience, and hopefully prove their worth.  Well not embarassing themselves or the Tower would be considered a successful operation.  Getting experience and proving their worth would be a bonus.

Perivar thoughts drifted back to the grinning Accepted.  He would have to find her and apologize for his rudeness.  He would ask a penance if he offended her..no none of that he thought, he would simply apologize.  If Mistress Thera got wind of him asking for a penance for such a silly thing she would surely skin him alive.  She had a way of convincing her trainees that her way was the right way.  In truth she was right, he could not effectively serve the Tower or an Aes Sedai if he was running around asking for a penance for every minor transgression.

Perivar looked over at the bundles on the floor ticking them off the list in his head for the tenth time. The Quartermaster swore that he would make sure that the tents made it to the stable and onto the pack horses though Perivar refused to leave without them.  He would rather do it himself and insure that it was done.  So Perivar packed them on a hand cart and brought them to the barracks so he knew where they were.  Today he would bring them to the stable and personally give instructions to the stablehands for their care.  He had already spoken with the stablehands, twice already to be exact and he was sure they understood his instructions for the tents and preparation of his warhorse Nigthdancer, even so he would remind them again.  Master Kynwric had charged him with the task and he was going to make sure he did not let him down.

The anxiety of the trip was gnawing on him, he had checked and re-checked his gear at least a dozen times.  He was eager to be away though he kept thinking that he was forgetting something.  His mental list said he had accounted for everything.  His saddlebags and blanket roll sat near the bundles of tents and poles.  His armor was draped over the armor stand, plates were polished as were the metals rings of his chain mail.  On top of the saddle bags lay his dark green cloak that would cover his armor and help to conceal him when there was need to be stealthy.

Perivar continued sharpening the sword wondering if would sleep at all tonight.  No probably not he thought, even so he should probably get on with his final preparations.  He put the whetstone down then placed his sword in it's scabbard which was secured on his back.  He began picking up the bundles of tents and poles to load them on the handcart.  Once they were all secured he made his way to the stables.   

"Did you bring some oil back with you? My sword needs tending before this trip and I need something to do with my hands before trying to force myself to rest."

"Aye love, I'll get it..." Kyn stood and went to the box containing the oil and whetstone and returned. He handed both over to Loraine with a rag. "Your sword is hung over the chair, I figured you'd want to work with it some this evening. Also, I invited Thera up to discuss matter about the trip, she didn't respond so she is either busy with her own preparations or she will be along very shortly."

Thera sat on the floor in the middle of the room with her legs stretched out forming a V. Her back was bent parallel to the floor and she rested her head on her arms. The last week had caused her back problems to arise again and stubborn pride kept her from asking for healing. It was only tightness caused by stress; that is why she had spent an hour every morning doing stretches before she went for her run. Unfortunately she would not be allotted the time in the next few weeks.

The opportunity to take a few trainees out of the Tower had come about rather suddenly, but she had leapt at the chance. She had formed a bond of sorts with a group of recruits and this would be one of their last tests before being raised to the ranks of Tower Guards. She had known almost from the beginning that they would all do well and so far they had done nothing but exceed her expectations.

Getting up from the floor with a small grunt she examined herself in the mirror. She did not look any older than she had five years past, but with her 30th naming day fast approaching she was beginning to examine every flaw. Sighing at her reflection she went to her desk and began to run over her list of supplies one last time. There was very little that she needed to worry about. She and Kynwric had divided up the preparations between the trainees so that all she needed to worry about were her personal belongings.

It had been several years since she had been to Amadacia and she had no real desire to return. Trying to spirit Serena out of their unscathed had been tricky and they had only been a small party. The one advantage she saw was that Loraine Sedai would have extra arms to make sure she was safe. Over the last year Thera had come to have affection for the Sister and Master Kynwric. As much as one Warder could have for a Sister not their own. She was kind and always more than willing to help teach the next generation of new recruits.

From what she had been told about the trip it was going to be dangerous, maybe made more so by the presence of so many half trained children. In a conversation with Kynwric the night before Thera had sworn an oath on her sword to bring Loraine Sedai back safe whatever the cost to herself. If she had to die in the attempt she would not allow one hair on the woman’s head to be harmed.

Looking down at her list only one thing remained to be done. A letter had to be sent to Serena. She could not leave without some form of goodbye. It had taken her a week to find the right words now all that was left was to deliver it. She had decided the night before it would be best handled by an Accepted; the same smiling girl that Master Kynwric was used. Thera was sure the girl must be close to the shawl, if she could ever put her foolish fantasies aside. When the young woman arrived she pressed the note firmly into her hand and told her not to delay. As she watched the girl depart a small part of her hoped that there would be a reply.

The sun sat rapidly that night with Thera sitting on a bench just outside of her office. She was worried about what the next week would bring. Not for herself, or even Loraine and Kynwric, but for the children that she took along. None of them had ever killed a living soul before. Not since coming to the yards, and she was very afraid that this trip would see their first kills. Everyone handled their first death in a different way. Some took the pain inside and were embodied by it, while others let it eat away with them until there was nothing left. Closing her eyes and lifting them up to the sky she said a prayer to Light begging to see their duty dine and everyone to return it home. She offered up another small prayer for Jasine, praying that he would do nothing foolish if she did not make it. He would make some Aes Sedai a fine Warder one day and she would hate for him to throw his life away to avenge her.

The bells on the Tower peeled the hour and Thera opened her eyes. It was past time for her to meet with Loraine and Kynwric. She got to her feet and headed for Loraine’s rooms the worry plain on her face. 

Given that Melenis generally preferred to do her morning exercises in the same section of the Yards, it hadn't taken the Accepted a lot of effort in finding her. She was a bit surprised at someone interrupting her training almost as much as she suspected the girl was at seeing a female Warder where she had expected a man. Still, an order was an order, and after exchanging a curtsy and a bow of the Accepted and Trainee respectively, the note was handed over.

After reading it -- twice -- Melenis felt somewhat puzzled why Kynwric would request her presence in this way. After all, it wasn't as if her schedule was unknown to him -- he had even suggested some exercises himself. Still, she supposed there was a good reason for it, and set out to where she was supposed to report at.

After hearing the reason of her summons, she simply nodded and set about packing her things. The wilderness survival lesson with Thera had taught her enough to pack what she needed without forgetting anything. Still no saddlebags though, as she didn't trust herself with a horse well enough to ride it effectively. She hoped it wouldn't be an inconvenience to them if she walked her way, but looking at the positive side of things it might help her endurance if she did.

To be honest, she wasn't really that nervous. Before coming to the Yards, she had traveled with Gaidan and a full Aes Sedai and Warder for quite a distance as well, and nothing too disturbing happened during that time either, so why would this be any different? And even if something did happen, she felt confident she could handle it, and Kynwric and Thera would take care of what she could not between the two of them.

Melenis

Not really worried

Loraine smiled gratefully at Kyn and kissed his cheek. She hadn't spent quality time with her sword in a long time, but he knew her well enough to know she needed something for her hands to do that would leave her thoughts free. At least until she couldn't cram another thought in her head and was forced to find her pillows. She accepted the implements and pulled her sword belt off the back of the chair, curling her legs under her in the middle of the floor and laying the scabbard across her lap. She had just pulled the sword free when a knock sounded on the door. Thera, she thought, knowing the woman wouldn't mind Lor tending her sword while they chatted. Still, she wrapped a weave of Air and Fire around the water resting in the teapot to warm it up as Kyn moved to open the door. She was still a bit unused to using saidar so publicly, but she was getting better about it. After spending twenty years hiding her gift, finally using her training was a bit strange.

She smiled warmly as Thera strode into the room and rose to her feet to greet her properly. "I'm so glad you could come, Mistress Thera. I know there are a million preparations to see to before morning, so I hope we won't take too much of your time..."

Thera smiled through her fear as she entered Loraine’s rooms. Schooled in controlling her emotions she suppressed it down to a cold knot in her belly; not visible on her face. “ Please Loraine Sedai you must call me Thera” She offered a small bow with her hand over her heart.

Not wanting to seem as if she was looking down on the Aes Sedai Thera crossed her legs and took a seat on the floor. “I have to be honest with you” Her gaze took in Kynwric as well. “What I know of our situation has my hair standing on end. I have the utmost confidence in Kynwric and myself to see you safe. As I told him the night before last, I will give my life to bring you out of Amadacia alive, but I am not so willing to sacrifice trainee’s without cause. I do not propose backing out. I think it is too late for that, but I would like to know exactly what I am putting them in the middle of.” Leaning back Thera rested on her elbows trying to stretch the muscles in her back. She hoped they did not take offence at her posture.

Perivar made three trips with the handcart dropping the tentage off at the stable before returning to the barracks.  He had tossed a silver mark to each of the stableboys to make sure they watched over the tents. 

When he inquired, the boys told him that there was a request for two packhorses for their trip, he wondered if that would be enough.  When bundled tightly the tents and poles did not take up that much space.  Hopefully one packhorse would do for the tentage, they weren't large pavilions after all.  Just to be on the safe side Perivar requested a third to be available if there was a need. 

Perivar handed each boy another silver mark asking that they keep his request quiet.  "If they ask whether you have one available act surprised then fetch it for them.  Don't tell them I asked you to have one ready.  Just go about your business as if we never spoke."  It was good to be prepared but it was bad to have a superior think you were second guessing them.  It was not that at all, he just liked to be prepared.  The truth of the matter was that he didn't want to delay their trip evrn for a moment while they sought out an additional pack horse if one was needed.

Perivar moved the blanket roll where it lay on top of his saddlebags setting it alongside.  He began going through their contents again checking to make sure he had everything.  A change of clothes, a cloak, small sewing kit, whetstone, cheese, bread, dried meat, the list went on ticking it off in his head. 

He buckled the saddlebags, placed the blanket roll back on top then stood walking over to the armor stand near his bunk.  He gave his armor a once over to make sure it was in a good condition, he had done so already yet he did it again.  Glancing back at his belongings he spotted a few waterskins which he had filled earlier from the well, you could go without many things but water was not one of them.

Convinced that he had thought of everything, he laid down on his bunk staring at the ceiling.  He was so excited to go on this outing that he was certain sleep would elude him. After a while his exhausted body finally gave in and he drifted off to sleep.

"The first part not so much, it is merely a trip to Caemlyn. That should be no more different than any other trip to Caemlyn as it is along the Queen's Roads and there should be little to fear. The second part, well, that is where things get a bit more unsure. As in the letters I showed you, we've got a bit of banditry going on along the border between Andor and Amadacia. I figure it is likely Whitecloaks or their supporters trying to harry the folk that live there, and if that is all I had heard we would leave it there. However, in a few cases there are reports of the raiders taking captives. Particularly young women. That is very unlike the Whitecloaks and their ilk, and bears investigating. I'd like to say it is a milk run, however we could run into anything from mere bandits to darkfriends to a whole company of Whitecloaks, I just don't know for sure." A that point he rose and poured the tea that Loraine had warmed, "Sugar or milk?" he asked Thera, having already doctored his and Loraine's to taste, and fixed at she instructed. "As for the trainee's they are all nearly Tower Guard, and I think it would do them good to have some pracitcal experience in the field. I know it was a shock the first time I was out of the tower and I had spent half my life tracking before I arrived here. It is one thing to learn the skills and another to apply them. You and I know what it is to be on campaign, they need the experience." He paused for just a moment. "I do understand the concern you have, and if we were not staying in Andor for the most part I would not agree to take them... but we cannot hold their hands forever and I think this will make them better Warders in the end."

"I refuse to call you Thera until you drop the 'Sedai.'" She smiled and sank into the floor again, pulling her sword across her lap and beginning to tend it while Thera and Kyn discussed their trip. She smiled and set her sword aside to accept the tea and quietly sipped it until Kyn had finished.

"I wish I could say this was a pleasure trip, but we all know that's wrong." She twisted a weave of Air and lifted a box from her desk, setting it on the floor next to her with an apologetic smile at Thera. "Sorry. I'm getting tired and needed to give in to laziness for a breath." She rifled through the box, pulling reports from it. She took a deep breath and passed them to Thera. "These are strictly confidential, of course. These are MY eyes and ears, not the Tower's, not the Green Ajah's. I pay them to keep their eyes open and to send me word when something feels wrong. Until now, I think they thought I had more money than sense. I'm sharing these with you because you need to know what we're up against. I think that includes knowing everything I know and not just hearing it from my lips." She paused and gestured towards the reports. "You'll notice each of them mention the missing girls, some serious harassment, too. I've been researching border disputes and none of the areas they mention have any documented issues with the Tower. The land has belonged to these Andorians for as long as the records go back. I am wondering whether the girls that are missing showed any signs of having the gift and that's why the Whitecloaks took them. There's not a single hint in any of the reports that it was them, though. My Ajah gave me permission simply because it doesn't look good for girls to be missing this long that close to the border. It's suspicious."

She sat back with her tea, watching Thera scan the reports and giving her time to soak up the information within them.

“You can consider the Sedai dropped Loraine. I did not want to presume to far on our relationship.”

She took a small sip of the tea and gave Kynwric  a small smile; It was perfection. If only the reports that were lain in front of her had been half as sweet. Her eyes scanned the reports and her frown deepened with every word. What was she putting Jasine into?…no what was she putting all of her children into?

“But what steal untrained girls? Simply to keep them from us?” Her words were quiet and mostly to herself, though she had no doubt they both heard. Thera’s eyes were grim when she finally looked up from the reports.

“As I said early I do not propose backing out. I understand how much they need their training. I just want to make sure that I know fully what we are entering so I know how much they need to be told. Too much and they may scare, not enough and we could land ourselves in a bigger mess because they are not prepared. “

Setting down her cup she picked up one of the larger reports and scanned the pages again.

Jasine had taken the note from the cute Accepted and had smiled back at her and murmured his thanks before he began to read it.  He was halfway through his note before he stopped and wondered if the slip of a girl who had given it to him might not be older than Thera.  This whole aging with the One Power thing was still something that he was trying to wrap his mind around, even though it had been well over a year since he had learned about it.  He shook himself free of the thoughts, he had no reason to compare girls of the Tower to Thera, even if the girls always did come up short.  None of them had her caramel eyes or the fire that had originally attracted and then entranced him about his Mistress.  He read the letter again, starting at the top and nodded slowly.  "Supplies.  I wonder if he means food.  I'd better clarify that with him before I get started."

Jase went off and found Kynwric with little problem at all.  The man was clearly busy getting things ready for the trip, but at least he didn't yell at Jasine for not knowing the man's mind unspoken.  Once he had a detailed, if quickly rattled off list of what to collect and have ready for the trip, Jasine bowed to the man he would always think of as his Master and excused himself.  There wasn't a whole lot of time to get everything done, but none of it was overly complicated.

Food was the first thing.  Through smiles and winks, Jasine had made friends with most of the girls working the kitchens and while he didn't need friendliness to get supplies that a Warder had called for, it never hurt.  Jase counted on his fingers to come up with how many people were in the party and he told the head cook that there were seven of them, but it was best to pack for eight.  They'd need tea leaves for the Sedai and a few flasks of brandy wouldn't go amiss.  He wondered at tobacco, but figured that if Kynwric or even Thera did smoke, they'd likely take care of that on their own.  Dried beef, bread, and cheese comprised most of the fare, with a small sack of hard candies tucked into a small space in one of the satchels.  He blushed as he saw Elise add them, the girl had no right to remember that Jasine not only had a fondness for them, but he was trying to break himself of longing for the childish treat. 

He finished get everything else together for the trip and made a few trips taking it to the barn.  They would be leaving early the next morning and there was no reason to leave it for the morning.  He spent a while in the stables after he had all of the supplies there working with the stablehands looking over the horses and chatting about them.  When he'd first gotten to the Tower some of the stable boys, especially the older ones, had bristled at Jasine's presence and activity in the stables.  Nigh all of them had just accepted that the boy loved horses and was most at home around them, and truth be told, the time Jasine spent in the stalls and on horseback were his therapy, his way to unwind from the stress and pressure of training. 

When Jasine left the stables, he went straight to bed, still smelling of horse and hay and leather.  He thought nerves would keep him up but he was asleep almost before he his head hit the pillow, and it was of horses that he dreamed.

Loraine nodded slowly, letting Thera soak in what the reports said. She couldn't think of another reason for anyone to kidnap two girls, not in such a public way. It was a message, she was sure. Who the message was intended for, she had no clue.

She set her tea aside and folded her hands in her lap again. "I fear we will see the light of youth leave these eyes before we return, Thera. They will test more than their swordsmanship this trip and I mourn the loss of their innocence, even now. Something about this makes me uneasy, and I feel the same from Kyn." She looked at him a moment, knowing they hadn't discussed the knot of concern, anxiety and nerves that seemed to stick to him constantly since they'd decided to go on this trip. She'd never felt that without someone dying. They'd been lucky, it hadn't been anyone they had taken with them, though that had been a narrow success at times. She reached out and laid her hand on the report Thera was reading, drawing the woman's attention away from it. "You say you've vowed to make sure I return safely. I make you this oath, Thera. All of your trainees will come back into this Tower with breath in their bodies. I will protect them as if they were all my warders. My life depends on their blades just as much as Kynwric's. No matter what fire we walk through, I vow that all of your trainees will live through it."

OOC: Well isn't this just a morbid thread XD Oh how I love the loss of innocance, I'm gonna have so much fun! Oh, and we're playing with the timeline a little here, because technically, Jasine is still 3, and Arath and Perivar are still 4 (though Arath is just about 5) and who knows what WS Melenis is at (probably 4) well, I suppose that this counts as a Req (I'm just using it as a fun thread) and that'll bring Perivar up to 5 (and Melenis too probably) and Jasine is close enough to five... meh whatever.

IC: Arath had been drawing pictures in the dirt when he got his note from the giggly Accepted. Specificlly, he had been drawing a picture of Rasheta Sedai. In the past six months he had found that he greatly enjoyed drawing pictures. Sometimes he would wrap himself in the Void and draw, and his pictures were very detailed and neat; however, when he was not in the Void, he could feel emotions as he drew, making his pictures more meaningful. In his current drawing, he was alternating between the Void and not. It had been nearly a year since he had seen Rasheta Sedai. Well, he had traded glances with here a couple times, but she never had time to stop and chat. He would use the Void to remember her face in clarity, and then release it to draw, wanting to feel the gratitude he felt towards her as he drew. She was the very first person to acknowledge his skill. Sure, he was only a trainee, but she had stood up for him and salvaged the shards of his confidence.

He stopped drawing to read the message given to him, and found that he was responsable for the horses. Arath grimmaced, he had gotten better since coming to the Yards, but he was still hardly horse-savvy. Luckily, all he had to do was go to the Stables and get tell the stablehands to get the horses ready. Apparently Jasine and Perivar had already gotten their horses ready and he just told the stablehands to get Mistress Thera, Kynwric Gaidan, and Loraine Sedai's horse ready. Also, he made sure that the two pack horses were taken care of, as well as Melenis' mount. Finally, he got himself a stallion to ride. He spent about twenty minutes riding the animal, making sure that it got used to him and then brought it back to the stables to be prepared.

Finished with his task, Arath went back to his room to pack. He had been outside of Tar Valon before, but he had never travelled with the Warder and Aes' Sedai. And, if he was honest with himself, Arath had only been out of Tar Valon twice- before he had become a trainee and once during his Wilderness Survival training. He wasn't all that nervous though; after all, what could go wrong with two Gaidan and an Aes' Sedai?

No! She would not worry more for him than any other. She had known from the first day they met that someday he would lose that boyish spark and light in his eyes. When she met Loraine’s eyes some of her fear must have shown, she hoped dearly that the other woman took it for fear of all her charges, not just one.

The desire to cry welled up within her and Thera looked away. She knew that her eyes were staring towards Serena’s rooms but she could not rip them away. “Thank you Loraine, you will never know how much that means” Laying a hand across her heart she met the Sisters eyes, her own burning with passion. “No matter what happens it has been an honor to serve you. I will do my best to make you proud. Looking down she added what she had been thinking in her head. Kynwric was very lucky to have found a sister like you to bond.”

Clearing her throat Thera looked back at the papers in her hand. She knew that reading them again would not make the contents any less grim. Folding them up her placed them back in Loraine’s hands. “ I think I have learned all I can from those. Did you need me for anything else this evening?”

Anluan Medhas was a pritty average trainee. He was not short- standing at 5'11, but not extremely tall either. He had brown hair and hazel eyes. He had lived in Altara for the first twenty years of his life, and so had the olive skin common to the country's citizens. He had grown up in a village near to the border of Amadacia, and naturally the Whitecloaks had been a problem all of his life. They would constantly invade the village, preaching their cause and "passing judgement" on anyone who spoke against them.

As a boy, Anluan had always dreamed about becoming a great hero, and saving the town from the Whitecloaks. He went to Tar Valon with visions of coming back to his home town a great warrior, Bonded to the most beautiful Aes' Sedai and being clad in fine shining armor. Of course, that was nearly two years ago, and the Mistress Thera had managed to beat his unrealistic dreams out of him. Anluan was close to becoming a Tower Guard, and he still harbored secret desires to go back to his hometown and rid the village of the Whitecloak influence, but he knew now that it would never happen. The whitecloaks were a vast millitary force and it would be a long, bloody war trying to get rid of them.

While he was working on his forms with his broadsword, he recieved a message from an Accepted. Apparently he would be going on one last voyage outside of the Yards to give him the experience he needed before being raised. Anluan sighed as he was told to be packed and ready. He went back and packed his things before heading over to the location he was told to be at.

OOC: Really just a post to introduce the TtPC

Loraine took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "Actually, there's one other thing you should probably know before we leave," she said softly, laying the blade flat in her lap. "Most Aes Sedai in this Tower can Heal wounds to some degree. Even if they're not Yellow... you know that." She opened her eyes slowly and raised them to Thera's, pinning her with the deadpan expression that most Cairhienins wore on a daily basis. "I can't," she whispered. More than her lack of ability in the kitchen, more than her haughty upbringing, this was her one regret, the one thing she'd trade most anything for. She could kill a man in a breath without lifting her hand, could focus weaves with no visible sign of her doing it. She could mow down a line of shadowspawn with the flick of her eyes. She could not, however, Heal more than a scratch. "I can't Heal anything, Thera. If they get injured, I can field dress it. I can fill them with enough energy to overcome it until we can reach someone who CAN Heal it, but..."

She blinked and dropped her eyes. "You need to know that before we leave on this trip." She didn't mention why Thera needed to know. The woman was smart enough and had been around fighting long enough that Loraine had no business pointing out the obvious. Considerations had to be made to compensate for the lack of that Talent, though. More than her emergency kit in her saddlebags could hope to handle.

Thera squeezed her eyes shut tight and looked up towards the sky. Her last hope in keeping them alive had been the fact the Loraine was a Sister and could heal. When she opened her eyes she offered a small smile to Loraine. “Never take shame in what you cannot do. You have gifts far greater than healing” She smiled again and added a joke; her way of coping with the pain. “Plus this will not be the first time I have stitched up another man. I am quite handy with a needle.”

Standing she brushed of her pants and walked to the door. With her hand on the knob she turned and looked back. “Whatever happens out there, it is nothing I would blame you for. The Wheel Weaves as it Wills” With that she shut the door and headed back to her own rooms.

Her mind reeled with the facts she’d received. This mission was more dangerous than she’d intended and Loraine had no ability to heal. It was said that a battle plan was good until the first arrow was loosed. Well that arrow and been loosed and now Thera had to scramble to make up the difference. Before she went to bed that night she wrote a heart felt letter to Jasine and tucked it away. To be delivered in the event of her death. It was funny she saw her own death in every day, but seeing the death of someone she loved was so much harder.

Kynwric sighed deeply. "This is not going to be easy and I just have an uneasy feeling about something I can't put my finger on." He shrugged and leaned back. "But we can't coddle those kids forever and real experience is invaluable. I don't know..." finally he got up and paced a bit. "Nothing to really be done about it now though except survive and bring everyone home." With that he left it be for the evening, finishing the packing and checking and double checking and finally went to bed.

OOC: I'd like to not spend a lot of time just travelling. So let's take a couple days travel time to get to Caemlyn, so let's ride in on Thursday.

IC:

The next morning Kynwric was up before dawn, grabbed a bite to eat from the kitchens while they were still cooking and set about checking everything he had sent letters out about to the trainees. He was satisfied with the arrangements that had been made and noted that the stableboys were preparing the horses, he added his and Loraine's things to the stableboys chore and tipped them a bit, asking after feed for the horses. They assured him all had been arranged and that left him with nothing to do but be on the way. He returned to the Loraine's Tower quarters. Not unsurprisingly she was up and ready to go. They descended to the appointed location where the train had been assembled and saw that most of the party had been assembled. He greeted them pleasantly and swung up into his saddle, settling his cloak around his shoulders again. Kyn was dressed today for show, fan-cloak out and armor on, he even had his helmet. His sword was hung from it's saddle sheath and his shield was just behind his legs covering the horses rear flank. When all was ready he loooked to Loraine and waited for her assent before ordering them to move out.

Once outside the Tower and city, he began to strip much of the trappings off, stuffing them into the saddle bags, soon he was down to a breastplate, cuisses and greaves along with his normal clothing. Even the cloak had been packed away. After about two hours of riding he called a halt to water the horses at a stream and while that was going on he packed away the rest of the armor. Kyn replaced it all with a set of leather vambraces, finally he was comfortable.

Arath trotted along on his horse. He had gotten much better at riding, true, but he was still no expert. However, his riding skills- or lack thereof- was not what was trapping him in his bad mood. He had found out about their first destination- Caemlyn. Arath was born and raised in Caemlyn, and he would have been perfectly happy to never go there again. He was a bit behind the rest of the group, not wanting to deal with their chattering.

"Hey, you're... Arath, right? I don't know if you remember me. We had a few classes together but because I use a broadsword and you use shortswords we never had many classes together. I'm Anluan Medhas, just incase you'd forgotten."

Arath was snapped out of his depressing thoughts by the rather talkitive trainee. At first, Arath thought that the other boy was merely one of those irritating people who spoke far too much, but then saw that he looked nervous. "Is this your first time out of the City?" Arth inquired, "You look rather uncomfortable."

Anlaun laughed a little, but he was obviously still not very comfortable. "No, I've been out of the City a few times... it's more the fact that Mistress Thera, Loraine Sedai, and Kynwric Gaiden all look like they're marching off to war."

Arath looked over to them, and while it was subtle, they did have the undercurrent of solemness that made them look more serious than a simple mission would make them. Kynwric Gaiden looked very intimidating until he took off some of his armor, but still looked like an impressive warrior on his tall horse clad in the rest of his armor. Apparently still trying to make small talk, Anluan continued talking. "So, are you familliar with the other trainees?" the other boy inquired.

Arath nodded before introducing them one by one. "The female trainee is Melenis," Arath pointed towards her, "The smiling one is Jasine," Arath pointed towards his friend "And the bulkier one is Perivar," Arath gestured towards the last trainee. "If you want, they'd probably all be willing to talk with you." Unfortunately for Arath, Anluan nodded, but continued speaking to him.

"What's your favorite thing to do?"

"I like to train."

"Anything else?"

Arath studied the trainee beside him for a moment before speaking. "... I like to draw."

Anluan noddded. "Oh well, that sounds like a fun hobby to have."

Anluan continued chatting with him, and it wasn't until they stopped to water the horses that Arath realized he hadn't once thought about their upcoming destination once in his conversation with Anluan.

Melenis had woken up early, earlier than she normally would. Though she had gone to sleep early the night before so as to be well rested for the beginning of their journey, she suspected a nagging feeling of nervousness was at least partially to blame for the hour at which she woke.

Figuring it couldn't be helped, she washed herself before packing the last of her things -- most of it had been packed the night before -- and headed out towards the stables, trying to recall the pointers Jasine had given her about riding on horseback. Though that would be one of the things she would have had trouble practising, she believed the trip in itself would be a good as opportunity as ever to get some hands-on experience. Caemlyn was a few days' travel from Tar Valon, and they would be riding during most of it.

Time progresed, and soon she managed to spot Loraine as well, flanked by a more than vigilant Kynwric. The rest of the group arrived shortly afterwards -- she guessed no one would have dared being late for something like this -- but it did surprise her to see some new faces among her group. Jasine and Perivar were there as well, of course, and sShe had seen Anluan on the Yards a couple of times, but couldn't say she really knew him. A bit of a dreamer at times, though she suspected Thera would have beaten that out of the poor man by now. Others as well, some wide-shouldered person named Kivar that had taken to wielding a large war hammer. Reflexively, she shook her shoulders: The one time she had sparred him, she found that he did indeed have the strength to back up his weapon.

Still, today they would not be gathered for a spar, nor for another type of training. Today would be the day they'd set out on their final test, with Graduation to being a full Warder (well, Tower Guard anyway) shining like a beacon at the end of it. She made a mental note to talk to Anluan later on.

During the trip, she'd spend most of the time with her horse near Jasine's, focusing on riding the way he had been trying to teach her while keeping an ear open to any additional hints the man would be able to give her. A glance around her told her that Arath and Anluan were talking to each other behind her, whereas Kivar had taken a position almost directly behind Loraine, whom in turn was flanked by Kynwric. Before she could see more however, she had to straighten herself in the saddle to avoid falling off, causing her to berate herself for not paying enough attention to where her horse was heading. She still had a long way to go until she'd be a decent rider, but at least she'd be getting there.

Melenis

Wondering what's wrong with walking

Perivar rode along in his own little world recalling the days events.  So far everything had gone well.  All of the trainees had come through on their tasks and they had left Tar Valon without incident.  It was nice being out of the city yet it was bittersweet it seemed.  An aura surrounded the group that said they were all business, even a blind man could tell they would not out for a stroll.  Master Kynwric had started the day dressed like a hero from a book.  Once outside of the Tower he began to change his attire yet he still looked like a Lord of War.  He made the trainees look dull by comparison.

They departed the city while the sun was barely creeping above the horizon straining to take it's place in a cloudless sky.  It would be warm today though a cool morning breeze danced across his face.  Perivar rode at the back of the pack leading the packhorses.  He wore his armor, darkened chain with dull solid plate shoulder cops, articulated breastplate, full legs and open faced helmet with a nasal guard.  Perivar had strapped his shield onto his left arm for show.  His horsebow and quiver lay within easy reach from his perch atop his warhorse, Nightdancer.  

Perivar looked like a common soldier though a close look at his dull blackened armor would reveal it's true quality.  About a year ago Perivar had packed away his bright armor which he had brought with him from Arafel.  He had commissioned a master armorsmith at the Tower to make him a new suit, dull so as not to stand out but of excellent quality.  

Once outside the city he removed the shield which was adorned with his personal device.  He let it hang behind his legs covering his warhorse's flank.  No one outside of a select few in Arafel would recognize his personal device.  Most people they would encounter would probably think he was a household soldier bearing his Lord or Lady's device.  His sword rested in it's sheath which hung on his back, the hilt poking over his right shoulder so that it was ready to be drawn in an instant.  Today he decided to bring a lance for effect, he was not as familiar with it as he was his sword though he was proficient enough that it was worth carrying.  The lance was held in his right hand with the butt resting against his stirrup.

Perivar noticed Arath speaking to another trainee, Anluan was his name he thought, another trainee almost ready to be raised to Tower Guard.  Out of all the people here it was the person he knew the least about.  He had seen the other man around though he had not had many classes with him.

After about two hours the group stopped at a stream to water the horses.  Perivar dismounted draping the reins over the pommel of his saddle so they would not fall into the stream while allowing Nightdancer enough slack to drink the water.  He knelt on the bank of the stream next to his warhorse where he cupped water splashing it on his face then scooped some to his mouth.  The water was cool and felt good going down.  The ground was dry and he had felt as though he was caked in dust from head to toe, a result of riding at the rear of the pack.  Nightdancer who loomed next to him drank greedily from the cool stream.  

Perivar

Covered in dust at the back of the pack leading the packhorses