DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Training with a Warder! (Attn: Kynwric, Open)

Sylvirci

Gaidan had asked around the Yard about how to become the best as fast as he could and had been told to learn the forms. So here he was in the training yard waiting for a Tower Guard or Warder to come in so he could ask them to teach him. It wasn't the best way perhaps but all he could think of since this is where they all trained at.

He watched everyone who entered but they all seemed to be passing through or busy sparring with equals. He was starting to give up when a lone Warder walked in. Looking behind the Warder as he took off his cloak, Gaidan got excited. This Warder was alone and now was his chance! Walking quickly, he strode up to the man and stopped a good five paces away out of respect.

"Excuse me sir!? I am Gaidan Hatori a trainee here and I was wondering if you might be able to help me? I need to learn some sword forms. I can hold a blade without hurting myself but other then wild swings, I have no real training. Could you spare some time to teach me sir?!"

The Warder turned and looked at him, as if weighing him. Then he spoke in a low and hard voice, " I do not think I can help you lad. I am sorry but you might try that Warder there." He pointed to a man who had just entered the Yard, " He has just returned and is looking for things to keep himself busy. You might also learn more then forms if you ask the right questions." With a wink the man turned and joined another Warder in a sparring match.

Turning his attention back to the Warder at the far end, Gaidan slowly started ducking and weaving across the Yard. His chest itched even though it had been healed from his survival class but he still felt a slight ache and gently massaged the scar he had asked for. Now standing before the man he was a little nervous although he couldn't say why, maybe it was the way this Warder carried himself. Bracing himself, he squared his shoulders and took the last few steps.

" Excuse me? I was told you might be willing to teach me some sword forms? My name is Gaidan and I am fairly new here. I can hold and swing a sword but even a fellow trainee could disarm me at my current skill. So sir, can you please teach me?!"

Gaidan Hatori, Warder in Training!

Kyn looked up as he saw one of the Tower Guards point in his direction, then took a surreptitious glance to either side hoping he hadn't been singled out. Muttering under his breath "So much for a workout..." he stood up straight as the young man approached him. He noted the lack of confidence in the boys step and his hesitation, but also noted that he followed through with his intent.

" Excuse me? I was told you might be willing to teach me some sword forms? My name is Gaidan and I am fairly new here. I can hold and swing a sword but even a fellow trainee could disarm me at my current skill. So sir, can you please teach me?!"

Kyn looked him up and down, surveying him thoroughly. "Thera has you on the rolls?" When Gaidan nodded his assent Kyn continued. "Alright then, I'll teach you. But here are the rules. You'll do what I tell you, you will ask questions. Understood?" He didn't even pause for Gaidan to consent. "First lesson, go over to the wall there and choose a weapon that feels right in your hands, tell me why you chose it." He gestured to the wall of practice weapons. He noticed another trainee enter right at that moment with the same look as Gaidan had shown on his face. With half a chuckle Kyn beckoned Jasine over. "Well come on, may as well train you both at the same time." And then gave the same instructions to Jasine as he had given to Gaidan.

Jasine grinned with all the enthusiasm and excitement that only a teenager can manage and bowed to the warder. "Thank you, sir.  My name is Jasine Al'Thorin, sir. I appreciate this chance to learn for a master."  He had been advised to leave his father's sword at his bunk, not carrying it strapped to his hip, so he chose an unfamiliar sword to take as his weapon.  He swung it a few times, testing the balance and weight, and it was close enough to the only sword he'd ever held that he figured it would do.  He never really even considered the other weapons lined up against the wall, it was a sword he'd pretended with through his child, and a sword that he had worn on the trip to Tar Valon.  He would probably learn the other weapons as well someday, especially the quarterstaff, but he wanted to start with the weapon he was at least marginally familiar with.

He returned to Kynwric after giving the other trainee a friendly smile and then addressed their tutor.  "I chose this sword, sir, because it looked and felt the most like my father's sword, which is the only weapon I've ever used other than a stick.  Well, I mean, I've hunted with a shortbow too, but I can't see as it would do much good in an actual combat." He swung the sword a few times again, simple arcs without any fancy flourishes or forms, and then spoke again. "The sword feels balanced in my hand, Da taught me how to hold it and told me to think of it as an extension of myself, but I'd only used practice swords before I left home.  I didn't really think about which weapon to choose, the sword just feels like it should be the one I learn, sir."  Jasine smiled a little sheepishly and then firmed up his grip on the weapon, holding it in both hands with his feet spread to about shoulder width.

Gaidan nodded an affirmation when he was asked about being on the rolls in a sure and quick nod. As he was about to clarify with words, the Warder continued speaking in what felt like a rush. "Alright then, I'll teach you. But here are the rules. You'll do what I tell you, you will ask questions. Understood?" He didn't even pause for Gaidan to consent. "First lesson, go over to the wall there and choose a weapon that feels right in your hands, tell me why you chose it." Knowing he was expected to rush off, he turned and walked briskly to the rack of practice weapons.

He knew this was an important choice, not just because it would be his first weapon of his own choosing but also because he had to explain why he chose it. He thought back to his childhood fights with his brothers and the other boys in the village. He hadn't been the hard hitter or a powerhouse fighter like his brothers. Instead he had been a quick and relentless flurry of quick punches and was constantly moving. So he thought he wouldn't be good with two handed weapons and probably not heavy single handed weapons either. So light weapons, but that will decrease my range. Two light weapons maybe?

Grabbing two short swords, he experimentally swung them in unison from high to low. It felt good and fast, like he was meant to wield them. The Warder who had taught him how not to hurt himself had trained him in a long sword and he had been a little clumsy. These two together with their light weight and capability to be used in quick strikes made him feel like he had his choice. Turning back towards the Warder, he walked briskly knewing he had taken a fair bit of time in his selection.

Reaching his new Master, he looked him full in the eye with confidence, " I chose these two short swords because I have always been a little clumsy with heavy weapons and when I am bare fisted I am quick and like to move around. These reflect that style, they will allow me to use my speed and agility to dance around my opponents while raining strikes upon them. Is this choice going to be a problem sir? I can train with a long sword, but would feel more natural with these." Then he swung them in quick precise high to low and side to side strikes. He felt more at ease with them and it showed in how well he controlled them. Relaxing into a basic stance with his right hand shoulder high and a little in front of his face, he brought his left hand up to the middle of his chest lining it near his ear. Then he waited for the Warder to correct his stance and begin his lesson.

Gaidan Hatori, Warder in Training!

Kynwric watched as the pair of them scurried off to the weapons racks, choosing their weapons of choice, when Jasine returned and gave his reasoning for his choice and Kynwric nodded. "But is it the best choice for you? I know it is what you are used to and there is something to be said for that. But weapons also have a style of their own and what worked for your father may or may not work for you. It is something to think about as you move forward."

He looked Gaidan over as he returned and had a quick comment about his choice as well. "You are making an all or nothing choice by going with a paired set of weapons. You will have to get in close, deal your damage and get out, especially at your size. You will not be able to out reach anyone. Something for you to think about when you begin sparring, it will be short bouts of furious activity followed by longer bouts of finding the right opening again."

Kyn then looked from one to the other. "Alright face me." He then stood, his weapon by his side as if it were hanging from his belt. "When you are prepared to begin a spar and you are balanced on your feet, just slightly spread and  your hand or hands on the hilt of your weapon about to draw. This is called Leopard in the Tree. Drawing your weapon in any manner is Unfolding the Fan and he showed this as well, and sheathing it again is Folding the fan as he quickly guided the sword back into it's scabbard. Now show me."

OOC: Attempt this, show Kyn giving you instruction in how to properly stand for whichever style you are choosing. Note also that Kyn stands with his sword arm behind him and not forward like most single sword users, you can ask about that or anything else you wish to know.

Jasine looked down at the well-made weapon in his hand.  How would he know if something was right for him if he didn't know what working with a weapon entailed?  He didn't know the forms, strengths, weaknesses of the long sword in his hand, but neither did he know them for any other weapon either.  He fastened the scabbard to his belt and set his free arm against the sheath as he slid the weapon back into its hold.  "I do not know if this is the weapon that is right for me, Kynwric Gaidan.  I will learn with it today, and perhaps at a later date I can take the time to learn several weapons and see which one fits my style the best."  His boyish enthusiasm became more subdued and serious as Kyn spoke, and he made eye contact and paid attention carefully, determined not to waste this opportunity.

He stepped back away from Kynwric a few steps and nodded as he watched his master's instruction and example.  He bounced on the balls of his feet a few times, finding a position where he felt supported and stable, but able to quickly move should he need to. His left hand was still gripping the scabbard, his right reaching across his hips to take a firm grip on the hilt.  He nodded to Kyn and murmured "Leopard in the Tree, Unfolding the Fan" and drew out his weapon.  He was a bit clumsy, he'd never pointedly practiced with drawing his weapon, and even with drawing his weapon slowly to show them how, Kyn's draw made his look like a child's attempt.  Which, he suddenly realized, he still was.  Jasine swallowed a bit nervously and then took a deep breath, determination marking his expression.  "Folding the Fan." As he slid the sword back into position, nicking his off hand with the blade and scoring a shallow scratch into his skin.

"Oh, oops, I guess I should have moved that hand first."  He smiles a bit sheepishly and shook his hand twice. He didn't care much about the superficial wound but was a tad embarassed.  He continued, and went through the motions again and again.  Each time he whispered the names of the forms, memorizing them. "Leopard in the Tree, stands ready to Unfold the Fan." He moved as he spoke, and after a few times the motion was more fluid, if still not very quick or precise.  "Folding the Fan, to return to Leopard in the Tree."  He went through it several times, and then looked up as a girl trainee nearly as tall as he himself was, one he hadn't met yet, approached the group.  Not allowing himself to pause in the motions of sheathing and drawing his blade, he smiled to her and then looked towards Kyn, hoping she'd be allowed to join their training as well.

Melenis walked up to the small group in training. It didn't take a genius to figure out the Warder was currently teaching Gaidan and another trainee she hadn't met before, and regardless of whether or not she'd be able to join them with her own weapon of choice -- the ashandarei slung across her back -- the Far Madding girl believed watching their movements would be a learning experience in its own right as well.

Still, she looked at Kynwric, waiting to see if he'd call her to join in training. Though simply asking out loud was an option she had considered as well, they seemed to be in the middle of something, and few of the teachers she had had so far appreciated being disturbed in the middle of class. Either the Warder would allow her to join, or ignore her, in which case she'd remain where she was as audience.

Tilting her head, she looked at Jasine, returning his smile with a nod of her own. The brown eyed boy, she noticed, was still a bit hesitant in his forms, marking him as a relatively new arrival in the Yards, which would explain why Melenis hadn't seen him around before.

Still, she focused her attention back on the Warder, intent on not wanting to miss the signal for her to join, if there would be any.

Melenis

Waiting on you ;)

Kyn turned as he notices Jasine's attention waver and saw the girl approaching, with an Ashandarei strapped across her back. He quirked an eyebrow at her for moment and the flicked his head for her to approach. He turned his attention back to Jasine and Gaidan, making sure they were working thier way through the three forms he had shown them, almost amused. "What's your name girl? And why did you choose that weapon?" He narrowed his eyes at Jasine as he nearly took a finger off Folding the Fan but let it go. He then turned to look at Melenis, obviously waiting on an answer.

Gaidan listened to the Warder's words carefully and then thought a moment about his selection. Is this the right one for me? Yes, there is no doubt about it! I am quicker then I am stronger so quick strikes interspersed with finding an opening I can do better then swinging a heavier weapon all the time. His mind made up he turned his attention back to his new training Master.

Kyn ordered them to face him so Gaidan took a couple of steps back and to the side to give his Master and the other trainee room. Then he watched and mouthed to name of the forms as Kyn showed them how to do them. It looked easy enough, he had done at least this much with the Warder on his way here. He had not however had two weapons or known the names of the forms, or even that they were forms.

Strapping the sheathes daigonally across his back, he set his right foot forward and his left back a little. Then he called out, "Leopard in the Tree," as he put both hands up and onto his hilts. Then in a slow and steady motion he drew both swords out while saying, "Unfolding the Fan." He drew them just fine but as he brought them forward he banged the flat of the blade in his left hand against his forehead. Blushing a deep red he apologized, " I have only worked with one blade until now. I will do better sir!" Then he finished bringing them down with one forward and one near his cheek.

Then he sheathed them while saying, "Folding the Fan." He went slow and steady so as to make no mistake or cut himself. The he assumed the Leopard in the Tree again and went through the motions over and over again. Each time he moved just a little faster until he was able to do it as fast as his Master had showed them.

It had taken about forty tries until he felt comfortable with his actions. Pausing a moment to catch his breath and relax his muscles, he thought of a question, " Master why do you hold your sword behind you instead of in front like everyone else?" Looking at the other trainee to judge his reaction, he noticed Melenis off to the side. He smiled to her as Kyn called her forward and added, " Master? If you don't mind, could you teach Melenis too? She and I travelled here together and she is better then me with that ashandarei of hers!" Then he waited to see how Kyn would answer both his questions and what forms were next.

Gaidan Hatori, Trainee

Learning slow and steady and won't stop til he gets it right!

As Gaidan mentioned the girl's name Jasine grinned and called to her. "Hi there, Melenis.  I'm Jasine."  He bowed as he introduced himself, a quick and precise bend, but he wasn't watching what he was doing with the sword, which he held drawn.  As he bowed, moving his sword hand across his body to his waist, the length of steel flashed in the sunlight and whiffed very close by Kynwric's shirt.  Jase jumped back and blanched, the color draining from his face as he made such a careless mistake and his attention immediately turned from the pretty girl with the exotic weapon to his master.

"Forgive me, Master Kynwric!  I wasn't even thinking about the sword, I didn't mean for it to slash at you like that!"  He Folded the Fan and took his hand off the hilt, this resheathing of the blade smoother than his first but not by much.  He was clearly unsettled and upset. "I was not being careful, it won't happen again." 

He colored guiltily as he looked aside at Melenis and scolded himself quietly for letting a girl undermine his concentration and studies.  He folded his hands together in front of him and bowed to Kynwric, staying with his head bent down as he spoke again. "I beg your mercy and submit myself to any penance you would set for my carelessness.  If you would still have me, I swear upon my honor to pay closer attention to where my hand and my blade go."

At Kynwric's signal, Melenis approached, believing this was indeed the signal she had been waiting (and hoping) on. Calmly walking over to the Warder, she took her ashandarei from the straps on her back to allow Kynwric a better view of it.

- "My name is Melenis Stormgate. And truthfully, i'd have to say this weapon picked me. It was my grandfather's, and he was the one that raised me. Though i'm not as skilled as Gaidan claims, what i know is because of him."

From the tone of her voice it was clear that she held her grandfather in great respect. Though Gaidan's compliment about her combat skill was appreciated, she did feel the need to ease it down a little, as she didn't think it was up to her standards yet. Certainly not up to those of the Warders, anyway. She heard another voice greet her, but before she could react he had begun to apologise for a mistake she hadn't seen him make. Choosing not to rub it in, she instead ignored Jasine as she waited on Kynwric's reply, and any other questions that he might still have.

Kyn turned to pay attention to Gaidan telling him "To worry about his own lessons" when he got that sour feeling in his stomach of something bad happening. When he turned to take stock of the situation he was forced to suck his stomach in as he saw the blade coming gauging its distance from him it still came closer than he would have liked. He resisted the urge to check his shirt. His voice a low growl. "Penanace later, for now pay bloody attention to what you are doing. If you can't even draw your sword properly with a pretty girl around how are you going to do it with a horde of Trollocs and Eyeless?"

Turning back to Melenis and returning his voice to normal as well. "Well then, you know how to draw, store and be ready then?" When she nodded he continued. "Show me, remember to bring the blade and your body to a full  on guard position at the end of the draw."

OOC: Melenis complete this and we'll move on to the next set of forms. Gaidan and Jasine you can post again if you wish or just wait for me to move on.

Kynwric nodded as everyone demonstrated the unsheathing and sheathing of their chosen weapons, making small corrections as necessary. When he was satisfied that they all had these basics down he gathered them all in so they could watch. "Pay attention to not only the hand positions, but also the foot positioning and body angles. They are also important. Your feet are the foundation of all you do as a fighter, without them you are unsteady and easy to move around. Your body angles are important because the blade is narrow, and without benefit of a shield you must use angles and spacing to defend yourself. The forms take this into account when done correctly. I'll now demonstrate the next set." He took two steps back and settled into Leopard in the Tree for a brief second and then Unfolded the Fan. Then brought his sword forward in front of him held about belt high. His body was turned so the his sword side shoulder was facing Jasine who stood directly in front of him. "This is Lion on a Hill, it is the most basic guard stance. This is how it looks for me and mostly for Gaidan, although you will have that other sword in your off hand. For you Jasine it will look more like this..." and Kyn shifted his stance to a little more square to the boy and with both hands on the hilt of his sword. "For You Melenis, you want the blade forward, with the haft between you and the opponents weapon side, angled downward about 45 degrees." He looked to each of them as they moved to do what he had just explained.

OOC: Do this form, then we'll move onto to actual attack forms, work from Leopard in a Tree all the way forward through Lion on a Hill at least once. Work out some of the kinks in your stance.

Melenis nodded again, slipping into the combat stance she had seen her grandfather perform numerous times during her youth. Drawing her weapon, she ended in a stance that was slightly more defensive, the weapon angling up forty-five degrees as she held the staff section with both hands to improve her grip. In a way, it looked like the way Kynwric had held his sword, with a large part of the ashandarei behind Melenis.

Listening to the instructions that were given, she thought for a moment, not being familiar with that particular stance. Somewhat hesitant, she half-copied Gaidan's footing as she shifted her grip on the weapon. The result was a form that, although the weapon was pointed downwards at the intended target, would definitely need some finer touches if it were to see any real combat effectiveness.

Looking at the others again, then at Kynwric, she shifted her balance a bit more, trying to find a position she'd be comfortable in, though being the only staff wielder in the group at the moment meant she couldn't simply copy the correct stance off of someone else, which meant she would have to improvise.

Melenis

Will be a blademaster yet

Jasine had perfected his draw as much as he was likely to do in a single session.  He would need weeks of practice at the very least before he was as fast as even Gaidan, much less Master Kynwric.  He was confident that with training and practice, however, his speed would improve.  At least he'd managed to avoid cutting himself or anyone else again.  Jasine grimaced as the cut on his hand rubbed against the hilt and shifted his hands slightly.  He wondered if, with time, he'd develop the muscles to where he could wield his heavier blade one-handed like Kynwric did. 

He squared himself up to Kynwric, shifting his feet and bouncing a few times to be sure he was light on his feet, but stable.  He resheathed his blade and adopted Leopard in the Tree.  With a single hand, he Unfolded the Fan and moved into Lion on a Hill, turned partly sideways like Kynwric had been when he first showed the stance to him.  He could already tell that he wouldn't be able to hold the stance long, his shoulder muscles warmed and protested.  He slid the blade back into the sheath and then drew it out and moved into Lion on a Hill with both hands on the hilt and his shoulders turned so that he faced Kynwric more fully.  He nodded to himself, this felt better.  He leaned back without moving his feet, checking to be sure he was stable.  He slid one foot back a little further and then Folded the Fan again.

"Leopard in the Tree, Unfolds the Fan.  Lion on a Hill stands ready." He murmured softly to himself as he went through the motions again and then nodded to his master, ready to proceed.

Kynwric took his time, walking to each of the three Trainees and working with them to get the little parts of the forms worked out. When they finished with Lion on the Hill he bade them to put the weapons away. "That is enough for today, we'll begin again tomorrow. For now get some rest and food. Meet me here tomorrow morning just after breakfast." And with that he turned to leave. When he was just about gone he stopped and looked over his shoulder,"Ah, yes, very good job today." Then he disappeared.

The next morning Kynwric was back in the training yard, working his way through his kata of forms. Leopard in a Tree, Unfolding the fan, Lion on the Hill, Dove Takes Flight, Bundling Straw and Lion on the Hill These all flowed in quick succession, with a brief pause before moving into The Courtier Taps His Fan, Tower of Morning, Water Flows Downhill and again to Lion on the Hill. This time with only a slight bounce Kyn moved into Soft Rain at Sunset, The Rose Unfolds, Low Wind Rising, Wind and Rain and again back to Lion on the Hill. He paused a moment and noticed that there were three people standing there watching and he nodded to them before Folding the Fan and Leopard in a Tree brought him back to centered and ready to teach. "Good morning Gaidan, Jesine and Melenis." Nodding to each in turn, "You've learned to draw and sheathe your weapon, now it is time to begin to learn to use it. Come get your practice weapons. When they had all done so he began, "Follow what I do. Leopard in a Tree, Unfolding the Fan, Lion on the Hill" He called out as all four of them performed the forms, satisifed he moved on to "The Courtier Taps his Fan. It is a fast, hard downward slash. It is designed to cleave your opponents head and is very similar to the last part of the action of splitting wood." He watched as they all performed this form, when satisfied Kyn moved on  to "Arc of the Moon" Performing the beheading slash, that was followed with "Kingfisher Takes a Silverback and it's shadow The Falcon Stoops, both of which are Overhand downward thrusts, the latter just less committed than the former."

OOC: Work your way through these forms, practice them for the rest of this day. Work them into the previous days forms.

OOC: Kyn, if you were aiming for a line divide, [ hr ] (without spaces) looks a tad nicer imo ^^;

IC:

Melenis listened to the advice she was being given, adjusting her stance accordingly up until the moment Kynwric told them all to put their weapons away again. Even though she was wrapped in the Void as usual during her training, she still needed to suppress the urge to smile at the compliment she was given. Rather than rest however, she instead opted to complete the daily laps around the Yards of her own training schedule first, which had been interrupted by the training session Kynwric had given.

The next day, she found Kynwric in the same place as the day before, going through forms she only partially recognised, if that. The motions were swift and fluid, and she could barely tell where one ended and the other started. Had she not been in the Void, she'd be impressed to the point of her mouth hanging open, and feeling more than a little intimidated. Fortunately for her, she was in the Void, and those emotions never reached her.

After returning the Warder's greeting (and saying hello to Jasine and Gaidan) with a nod of her own, she listened to what he said, and went to get a practise weapon, a spear. An ashandarei hadn't been among the practise weapons that had been laid out, and the spear seemed to be the best alternative in terms of weight and balance. She could always pretend the tip was actually an ashandarei blade as she improvised.

After going through the forms, a little hesitant at first due to not being used to the weapon, she became more confidant with it after a couple of attempts, and managed to finish the set to Kynwric's liking. Next was a new form, The Courtier Taps His Fan. That one ended up a bit harder to do than it sounded, the spear's length giving her the impression that it was leaving her wide open to a low strike. Perhaps if she'd distract her opponent first...

Arc of the Moon was a bit simpler, thankfully. From Lion on the Hill it was almost easy to follow into a slight arc aimed at an opponent's head and ending up back in the stance again. The other two stances were attack forms as well, though she raised an eyebrow at The Falcon Stoops when she noticed it had been what she had been looking for during the first of the new forms of the day.

After working to get a basic degree of control of each of the forms, she tentatively slipped back into her old stance, tip of the weapon raised up forty-five degrees in what appeared to be an inverted Lion on the Hill stance. The rear end of the weapon was then brought forward at her imaginary opponent's abdominal area using The Falcon Stoops, after which the now-raised tip of the weapon came down hard at the head as per The Courtier Taps His Fan. While the combination might not be as effective with a sword, it seemed like it was more suited to be used with a staff... or ashandarei, in her case.

Holding her stance at the end of the downward strike, she looked at Kynwric, scanning his face to see what his opinion on it was. There wee still some errors, of course, and her footing hadn't been perfect, but that would have been too much to hope for in regards to her level of skill.

Melenis

Trying to combine forms like a Warder ^^;

((OOC: Sorry I didn't get to this yesterday, I was swamped with holiday stuffs))

Jasine Folded the Fan and then bowed deeply to Master Kynwric, thanking him for the lessons.  He left to get food and have the small cut on his hand bandaged and cleaned, but then returned to the practice yard to continue familiarizing himself with the motions and the stances and the forms.  He was bound and determined not to embarrass himself by making such grievous mistakes again.  He worked well into twilight, making the most of the long hours of the summer day, and was exhausted by the time he finally made it back to the bunkhouse where he currently had a room to himself.  He was barely able to splash water onto his face before he collapsed into bed and feel deep into a dreamless sleep.

Jasine was up early after sleeping deeply.  He saw to his horse Brownie and his sister's filly Rao, currying and grooming them under the blatantly amused eyes of the stablehands.  He knew that the horses would be competently taken care of, he relied on it for the days when he couldn't bring himself to do yet another chore on top of all the physical training and lessons in the Yard.  But when he did have the time and the energy, he made sure to do his part.  The horses were his responsibility after all.  He found a note tucked into Rao's bridle and couldn't help but smile at the his sister's writing.  He read the note and then tucked it away into a pocket and finished caring for the horses.  Once her had cleaned and refilled their water, given them new hay and their morning oats, he left the stable.  One of the stable hands would see to mucking the stalls, he couldn't spend all morning in the comforting and familiar scents of horse.  He washed his hands beside the barn and then tied his hair back again, taming the mostly-straight dark blonde hair so it would be in his way as he moved through the forms.

He arrived at the yard as Kynwric was moving through a number of forms Jasine had no idea of the names of.  He moved around to the other side of the yard, took up the blade he'd used yesterday, and then moved back to watch his master flow seamlessly from one position to the next.  He nodded silently to Gaidan and Melenis, not allowing his attention to linger on the girl as he had done yesterday.  He'd already come to the conclusion that a pretty girl was probably more trouble than any trolloc ever could be.  Granted, Jasine had never seen a Trolloc, but he'd dealt with plenty of girls, so it was a biased conclusion.  Sword sheathed, he felt himself adjusting his footing as Kynwric did, paying close mind to the man's position and body language.  Now that he was attentively watching, he was surprised and impressed with his own ability to read his master's body, and could tell the type of sword swing that would accompany the different body positions.  He grinned openly and bowed as he was greeted, excited to once again be learning the sword. "Good morning, Master Kynwric." 

He moved easily through the forms, his grace with the weapon a good sight better than it had been yesterday when they left off.  These four forms he knew well and could have performed in his sleep.  He watched Kynwric perform the first slashing form and then emulated him, his skill with body position better than that of his blade position just from familiarity.  He tried a few swings of moving through The Courtier Taps His Fan, focusing his mind on what Kynwric said comparing it to chopping wood, which he'd done plenty of back home.  He could feel it when he got the swing, it suddenly went from feeling awkward and unusual to feeling like a natural movement, almost a dance. That was when he got to the point where he, and apparently Master Kynwric, were both satisfied with his swing. 

Having gotten used to this first form, he found it easier to adapt to the next three.  Arc of the Moon was a similar movement, angled just so and meant to behead instead of cleave.  He tried each of the forms, both with a single hand on his sword and with both snugly gripping the hilt.  He was more comfortable with both hands on the weapon, a lot more comfortable, but he wanted the versatility of still being able to fight if one hand was injured.  He managed to get through all four of the motions, Kingfisher Takes a Silverback and The Falcon Stoops both easier motions for him than the first, The Courtier Taps his Fan.  Once he had tried each strike alone from Lion on the Hill, he moved a few steps back away from the other three and tried to move through all of the motions together.

He began in Lion on the Hill and swiftly and smoothly Folded the Fan.  From Leopard in the Tree he Unfolded the Fan and brought the blade up to do The Courtier Taps his Fan.  Without returning to Lion on the Hill he brought his blade back up and did Arc of the Moon.  He stumbled a step and firm resolve hardened his expression as he recovered without going down.  He drew himself back up and moved into The Falcon Stoops, stepping forward with one foot as he thrust down and then swinging the blade back up into Kingfisher Takes a Silverback.  He narrated each move under his breath, lips moving silently as he concentrated on what he was doing.  He stepped back to ready and Folded the Fan again, ending in Leopard in the Tree.  He looked up to Kyn and grinned brightly, hoping to see reflected on his Master's face the warmth of approval that he felt for himself right now.

Kynwric nodded to each of them as he inspected the work they were doing with forms. To Jasine he murmured some small praise, all the while correcting his footwork until he had it down and could repeat it.

To Melenis he nodded. "As I said girl, it is going to take some adjustments to the forms to make it work with that bill you use. I would suggest trying to keep the blade higher and butt end lower, use gravity as much as you can. It is a good weapon, but it takes even more skill than a sword to use truly effectively."

He also spoke to Gaidan, nodding to what he was doing correctly and correcting what was not, then he stepped back to watch them all go through the forms again. All of them were progressing nicely, even if they still had years left to work on perfecting their art. When Jasine, Melenis and Gaidan all seemed comfortable enough to his eye he again called them close "I am pleased with your progress, you are doing well. Now step back and attend what I have to show next."

Kyn himself took a step back to clear space, settled into Leopard in a Tree, Unfolded the Fan into Lion on a Hill. "The first form is Heron Wading in the Rushes, it is not for combat in any way and is merely to practice maintaining your balance while fighting." Kyn raised his left leg, balancing himself on the right and performed the beheading slash, pivoting with the flow of the sword. He then performed the same form but with the sword stroke and pivot going the other direction, and again repeating both strokes with his left hand. Then again all four while on his left foot. "The form needs to be practiced all 8 ways, expect to fall down a lot. I did. The next one is easier, it is Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose." He settled into Lion on the Hill and perfomred the face thrust. "The most important thing to remember about this form is it can be done from any stance, all you need do is thrust at the face, it is also an excellent way to clear space between you and an opponent as no one likes to get a sword in their face." Settling himself back into Lion on the Hill he performed a mid-level slash. "Parting Silk, good for opening up a man's middle, or for slashing at unprotected arms. More often you will use it as an offensive parry, something to lead your momentum forward as you flow into a different form. Finally is the Grapevine Twines. Jasine come here, cross swords with me." When Jasine has done so, Kyn pushed the blades into a bind. "This form is used to attempt to disarm an opponent when your blades are locked. It is a simple twist, and a roll of the wrist to create the circular motion. The motion twists the weapon away from your opponents grip." He did the form as it was meant to be done, quickly and sent Jasine's sword falling away. "I want you to practice this on each other, but beware again. Melenis will only likely lose one hand from her weapon. I want to hear how that affects the fight and what is the best way to take advantage of that situation from each of you. Practice."

OOC: Practice again, work together on The Grapevine Twines

Jasine struggled with keeping his countenance serious and studious, when what he really wanted to do was grin like a small boy with a piece of candy at Kyn's praise.  He knew that the reason Master Kynwric had chosen him to demonstrate The Grapevine Twines was because of the trainees, only he used just a single sword. But even in a gathering this small it felt good to be singled out to work closely with his teacher.  He managed to hide his pleased smile until he turned away to fetch his fallen sword, but then he let his happiness show and then fade away again before he turned back to his fellow trainees and master with his sword in hand.  He pulled his handkerchief out of a pocket and wiped the dirt from the blade and hilt before resheathing it again.

As they broke up to try the individual moves, Jasine reflected on the fact that if he wanted to use his blade proficiently with both hands and with each hand individually, he would need to try the Heron Wading in the Rushes all twelve ways.  With a determined set to his eyes, he began, working carefully on his balance and body position.  He lost his balance the first three times he performed the stance, not all the way to falling down, but he had to drop his foot to catch himself.  He was just starting to get to the point where he could keep his footing, albeit with much wobbling, when he tried it wielding his sword in his off hand.  That time he did fall down and ended up with his legs all tangled up in his scabbard.  He flushed, trying not to look at Melenis for fear of seeing her laugh at him as he rose back to his feet and kept trying.  Heron Wading in the Rushes seemed a silly stance, but just based on the fact that he had such a horrible time keeping his balance he could see how important it would be as a training tool.  He didn't spend the time during the lesson perfecting this stance, just made sure he knew the moves well enough that he could practice on his own and then he moved on.

He adopted Lion on the Hill and then moved into Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose.  He could see how the stance got his name and as he moved through the form he envisioned the stab of a hummingbird into a flower, the precision of thrust.  He nodded silently to himself as he moved back and then into Parting Silk.  He flowed between the two forms, practicing them paired with each other, first one and then the other.  Rather than work solely on these moves, he paired them with the slashes from earlier, familiarizing himself with the forms as strongly as he could while he had the watchful eye and useful critique of his master.  Arc of the Moon, a beheading slash, drawn back from that into Parting SilkThe Courtier Taps his Fan flows smoothly into Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose, he was quickly beginning to see how one could dance a swordfight through the movements and forms and he felt his heart thumping faster and his breath coming quicker as the excitement of learning something so fantastically useful and amazing warmed his body at least as much as the exertion of the exercise.  He would have a long way to go before he reached the cold detachment so many of the Warders wore almost like a second skin.  If he ever managed to be that cool.

He worked through his forms while the other two practiced The Grapevine Twines, only half of his attention on his own motions as he watched them.  After two more rounds of the full list of stances and strikes he gave up on practicing altogether and just watched.  Whenever Gaidan managed to break Melenis' hold of her weapon he was able to move in close and strike with his other blade.  He didn't actually slice his classmate with the weapons, but he could see where his advantages would be in an actual battle against the weapon.  Having that second weapon, even though they were both shorter, made the grappling of blades in The Grapevine Twines definitely go to his advantage, even when he was the one disarmed.  Although Melenis was able to step back and swing her weapon around for a strike with the blunt end whenever she disarmed him.  They soon broke up and Jasine stepped forward, first to try this last move against Gaidan, and then he would try Melenis.

Gaidan had the clear advantage whenever he wrenched away Jasine's weapon and there was little Jase could do except for dodge at that point.  He didn't manage to knock away Jase's sword every time he should have, however, because Jase having both hands on his hilt meant that he had the advantage of strength when they entwined.  But when he initiated and controlled The Grapevine Twines and sent one of the younger boy's weapons away he was able to step back a small pace and then use Parting Silk when the boy was less able to defend himself and completely unable to endanger Jasine with his longer reach.  He nodded quietly to himself, studying the dynamics of the battle even as he and Gaidan sparred, each of them finding ways to best the other when they had the advantage provided by The Grapevine Twines.  After a few moments, when Melenis had finished her solo training, Jase and Gaidan bowed to each other and Jase moved to Melenis to spar with her and Gaidan moved to continue practicing the solo moves.

Jase was frustrated in fighting with Melenis.  Even when he managed to twist her fore hand away from the staff-like weapon, she was able to swing the staff in her other hand and parry his attacks.  Parting Silk was next to useless against her, she simply knocked his blade aside with the shaft of the spear.  Arc of the Moon, never attempted with his full force though he did try for speed, was at least partially useful, he couldn't manage to get the blade to the side of her neck like it should be, but he did manage to tap it against her shoulder twice as her parry moved it off course but wasn't completely able to knock it away entirely.  But when she managed to drop Jasine's sword to the ground he was useless.  Unlike with Gaidan, Jasine holding his blade in both hands did little to help him against the force of her The Grapevine Twines because she too was using both hands against his.  When Jasine finally stepped back from the girl and bowed to show he'd had enough of the practicing he was breathing hard and sweating heavily beneath the high summer sun.

He turned to Kynwric and spoke between gasped breaths. "Master Kynwric, I shall have to find someone wielding a single blade later in the day," something in the way his gaze flickered to the mess hall and then back to the man said he hoped it would be after lunch, "so that I may continue to get a feel for the most useful reactions to being disarmed or knocked off balance in those cases."

((Hopefully he can join in still, if not you can just send him away))

Perivar rushed over to the training yard after being dismissed by the Mistress of Trainees.  As he came to a stop the bells in his dark beaded braids jingled, He hoped he was not too late.  Perivar stood erect panting from the ceremonial run around the yard then the sprint to the training area, hopefully not enough that it would draw notice.  He spent much of his time on horseback, though he was young and very used to training or exercising on foot though 100 laps was quite a distance, especially in armor.

Patiently he slowed his breathing as he watched the Master training the new recruits waiting on a chance to join them.  If he could not then he would have to wait 'til tomorrow. 

OCC: Going to have to have you wait for the next one Perivar, this one is almost done. I will teach the class to you though, just start in another thread and send me the link over in the OOC section or via PM.

IC:

Kynwric was watching as Jasine worked his way through the forms, and sparred with Melenis. He could feel someone watching him in the back of his head and finally turned to see who it was. Another trainee? The place is crawling with them. he thought as he beckoned the boy over. "Well, what can I do for you boy?" Not waiting for a response he continued. "I suppose you have delusions of being a Warder too and you want me to teach you how to use a sword?" When he nodded. "Well, truth be told we are almost done for today. But you come back after your run tomorrow and I'll start your training. Oh, and ditch all that armor, you won't need it for a while." He then waved the boy off with his hand as he turned back to his current students.

Gaidan watched in rapt attention to the next lesson, Lion on a Hill. He positioned himself to where his right arm and shoulder were forward and his left arm was across his side. He checked Kyn's position again and made a few minor adjustments to his feet and his left arm before going throught the forms all together.

Folding the Fan lead into Leopard in the Tree and then into Unfolding the Fan lead into Lion on the Hill. He was a little off on the flow of the forms but he kept at them until he felt secure in his moves and could flow them all smoothly into each other.

Then Kyn bade them all goodnight until the 'morrow. Instead of putting the weapons away, Gaidan strap them on his back along with his sword. He would need to practice and get used carrying the weapons. He knew they were training weapons but the weight was right and it would work for now. Then he went to eat dinner and then to the Yard once more to practice the forms for another hour. Then he retired for the night.

The next morning he appeared at the Yard and was amazed by the smooth and fast fluid movements of Kyn's forms. He watched in awe as he thought to himself, one day I will be able to move like that! I can only hope I can make two blades move as fluidly! He was not in the Void yet and his eyes were wide and the awe was evident in his entire face and stance.

When Kyn finally noticed them, he resumed Leopard in the Tree. Then he told them to retrieve their weapons from the day before and as the others went to get them he just stood there. He assumed both the Void and the Leopard in the Tree form and waited patiently for the others to return.

As Kyn had them follow the previous forms he found himself easily flowing from Leopard in the Tree to Unfolding the Fan and then into Lion on the Hill. Then he watched as Kyn went into a form he called The Courtier Taps his Fan and listened as he explained it.

Bringing his right sword high, he chopped down. It felt wierd having his left arm just sitting near his chest so he tried something different. Flowing through the forms again until he got to Lion on the Hill then he brought both swords high and chopped first his right and then his left in The Courtier Taps his Fan. It felt much better like that. He looked to Kyn quickly to see if he noticed the change he had made.

Then he watched the next form called Arc of the Moon. Flowing back into Lion on the Hill he did Arc of the Moon as he allowed both blades to sweep up towards and through the neck area and back down into Lion on the Hill. The blades were about six inchs apart through the form and he was very satisfied with his first slow movements. He continued twice move quickly to get a good feel for the form before waiting for Kyn to move to the next two.

Kingfisher Takes a Silverback followed by The Falcon Stoops, both were downward thrusts. Thinking quickly he did Kingfisher Takes a Silverback with his left sword which made his stance change. Now his left shoulder was forward and he brought his right sword into The Falcon Stoops. It wasn't quite what Kyn had showed but it was a weaker form as he was using it more to reset himself into Lion on the Hill then actually making a strike. He repeated them a few times before Kyn had them start practicing all of them and mixing them together.

Then Gaidan starting from Leopard in the Tree and flowed through the forms. Unfolding the Fan, Lion on the Hill, Courtier Taps his Fan, Arc of the Moon, Kingfisher Takes a Silverback and finally The Falcon Stoops. Flowing back into Folding the Fan he prepared to go into Leopard in the Tree.

He practiced the rest of the day flowing from form to form. He only stopped a few times to relieve himself. As he practiced he started changing up the order and tried various combinations. He wanted to make sure he could use any form at any moment and with any change of an enemy's tactics.

Then Kyn called them and showed them a very akward looking form that he called Heron Wading in the Rushes as he explained it was for balance. Gaidan nearly lost the Void as he tried it. He nearly fell on the first swing! It was akward to move only one arm after using both in all the prior forms, but he made himself go through it completely twice before he was willing to move on. He didn't fall but had a lot of close calls for him to try and perfect it now.

Turning his attention back to Kyn he watched as a thrust move was explained. It was called Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose and was a direct jab at the face. Gaidan liked it. It was simple and he saw a lot of ways it could be used within the other forms, he could even seperate his blades during a form like Arc over the Moon. Instead of two blades he tried just his right blade in the Arc and then followed with his left in Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose. He thought he did good with the improvisation and looked to Kyn to see if he approved.

Then he moved onto Parting Silk which was a quick and simple slash across the waist area of an opponent. It seemed like a good move to either attack or distract and he practiced a few times before moving on.

The last form made his jaw drop as he lost the Void. Kyn had just disarmed Jasine almost too quickly to follow in what he called The Grapevine Twines. Asking to be shown again and slower he watched like a hungry hawk. Feeling confident he had it, he turned and asked Melenis to pratice with him on it for a bit.

It was hard at first to figure what to do after he disarmed her one hand. After a few tries though he decided to hold spear to the side as he quickly stepped in with Arc over the Moon. It brought his left hand up and over to help hold the spear at bay and caused her to shift backwards a step to avoid his swing. He realized that with his two blades he could thrust or slash and force a spear or other two-handed wielder back with his second blade.

Letting her take several turns was more difficult as she could thrust with hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose and other then holding his off-blade upright and bringing it across to block as he pivoted, he would be forced to jump back from that long of a weapon. He asked her to try more so he could try and figure out a block or form that could improve his odds. He decided that his best course was to pivot towards her right inside while doing either Arc over the Moon or Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose he could counter attack and take advantage of the Grapevine Twines.

Then he moved aside and tried with Jasine. It was wierd, Jasine fought with two hands held close on the hilt of his one sword. He thought of multiple ways to use his second blade but he was tired and so didn't really press a counter attack. Instead he let Jasine have his go and decided to voice his possible counters to Kyn later.

Then he really got frustrated. He would lose one blade but instead of being able to counter he was forced to dodge and watch as Jasine's blade thrust or swept towards him. He definately needed to know some other forms to take the advantage away from Jasine. So he now had another thing to discuss with Kyn later.

Then he moved to perform all of his forms by himself. He fell more then twenty times and gave up counting. Instead of stressing on keeping his balance, he delved deeper into the Void then ever before. He was reaching a point of exhaustion and it allowed him to just follow Heron Wading in the Rushes by memory and he actually stopped falling as he let instinct take over.

Finally satisfied after a very long day he mvoed to talk to Kyn. " Sir, I can use my two blades to take advantage by using one to hold their weapons away from me and striking with my second blade. I can even take Melenis' shaft to counter strike after she disarms me but when I can't disarm Jasine, I have to back off as his blde is long and he can cut me before I can get close. Is there a form I can use to regai the advantage and counter strike against his style?" Then he waited patiently for an answer and tried to hide the fact that he was exhausted.

Gaidan Hatori, Trainee of the Warders

Melenis took a deep breath, mentally preparing herself within the Void to absorb new information. After watching the others try their hand at Heron Wading in the Rushes, she looked at the spear she was holding. The advantage her weapon had over a sword in this case would be that it still retained combat efficiency even when its center of balance would be held close to her body, reducing the chance that a close ranged swing would throw her off balance. Still, the grassy terrain that gave the Yards its name made her footing for the pivot somewhat unstable, and the true problem she encountered was to end up in Lion on the Hill again at the end of the form, rather than forcing herself to recover from the swing. After nearly falling again, she decided to continue practising it in her own room where the tiled floor would provide her with more solid footing, so she could afford to focus her attention on where her weapon would end up at. Of course, that would be without a weapon, but that didn't mean she couldn't practise the movements in themselves.

Then Kynwric showed them Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose. From what Melenis could tell, this form seemed more suited for weapons with a long reach, and would certainly be a good option if she wanted to force an opponent to keep their distance. There was a downside too though, if the same opponent deflected her weapon he'd have a fair chance at stepping inside her line during a counterattack. Also, aiming would be a bit more difficult for her compared to a sword user simply because she couldn't aim as directly, as her body would be getting in the way of the long handle. Unless...

After checking for a safe place to test her idea on, she turned to face a direction where she stood no risk of accidentally skewering anyone. There, she tried Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose again, only this time loosening her grip on her weapon. Much as she expected, momentum carried the spear forwards, the haft sliding over her palm, after which she'd tighten her grip in time to avoid disarming herself. At least, that was what she intended. In reality though, she was a bit late trying to catch the weapon, and it flew on for a couple of feet before embedding itself into the ground. Picking the weapon back up, she tapped the spearhead against the sole of her boot to get the earth off of it before trying again, this time a bit more successful. After another couple of attempts, she tried pulling the weapon back to her with a quick tug, causing her to end up holding it diagonally in front of her body like one would hold a quarterstaff. Still no Lion on a Hill, but it'd do nicely for now.

On to Parting the Silk, another form which she identified as having the advantage due to her much larger weapon range. After a couple of swings (not all of them successful), she decided to try out a combination she had been thinking of as she went through what she had learned today. As usual, she started out with Lion on a Hill, already mentally going through the forms she would be using. She raised her left leg in the first move of Heron Wading in the Rushes, but rather than pivot on her leg she moved down to land on her knee, the spear already sliding to its maximal range in her hand even as she moved into Parting the Silk. However, the combination turned out to be a little too much for her to handle, and the momentum was enough to make her lose her balance and send her in the dirt.

As she got up and started to dust herself off, she nevertheless felt satisfied with the results. Mistakes and errors were still acceptable at this point, but she definitely had the feeling she was on to something here. Her mind went back to one of the lessons her grandfather had taught her back when she first started out her training under him: 'When attempting new things, don't worry too much about making mistakes. If the theory is correct, practise will take care of the rest. If the theory is flawed, no amount of practise will help it except when trying to find out what the error is.'. Thinking of her grandfather brought a small smile on her lips, but after she remembered what she was supposed to be doing she quickly went back to her old emotionally distant self again, the Void secure in place once again.

Training had progressed to the point where the final form was going to be used. In contrary to the ones they had been taught earlier, The Grapevine Twines required a sparring partner, which Melenis took as a sign of the progress of her training. Preparing herself for a tough battle, she readied herself for her first spar against Jasine. Much as Kynwric mentioned beforehand, The Grapevine Twines was next to useless against someone wielding a weapon with both hands, especially if it was possible to wield said weapon with one hand if need be. Jasine definitely had the upper hand when it came to raw strength though, the best she could do against some of the more forceful forms like Arc of the Moon was deflect the sword, and she had felt it brush against her shoulder more often than she felt comfortable with. Still, the few times she had managed to disarm him he had been completely helpless against her, which brought some reassurance that her weapon had its potential in a sword dominated world.

The next spar was against Gaidan, and outside of the Void part of her wondered ironically if this would end up as a draw once again. While he held the advantage in close combat due to his two swords giving him a closer optimal range than her spear, she had an undeniable advantage as long as she managed to keep Gaidan at a distance away from her, where he'd have to block an attack before he could even think about countering with one of his own without blindly rushing forwards. At Gaidan's request, she used Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose more often, and gave herself a mental nod when Gaidan arrived to the same conclusion she had earlier, confirming her suspicions that in itself, the form was potentially putting her at risk when not used in combination with another.

After being satisfied with the results, he stepped back again to turn his attentions on Jasine, leaving her free to spar with Kynwric. Though she didn't make illusions about winning, the Warder was skilled enough to counter the moves she wanted to try out against an opponent without running the risk of injuring him by accident. In addition, his response would point out small flaws in them that training on her own wouldn't have shown, optimising them as she'd need to think of countermoves. Giving a respectful bow, she stated her intentions and asked for permission, which she recieved.

Kynwric was, as she suspected, more than a few levels above her. Though he went easy on her, his attacks were timed such that she had a hard time blocking them, but none were actually unavoidable. Her own attacks on the other hand, despite all the effort she put into them, never really stood a chance of even getting close. Still, there was one move she was wanting to try out, one she couldn't use against Jasine or Gaidan earlier as the potential risk of injury would be too great if anything went wrong. As Kynwric moved into Arc of the Moon, she made her countermove. Almost in a trance, she flowed into Heron Wading in the Rushes, using the shaft of the weapon during the pivot itself to wrench the attack off course. Rather than the strike however, she allowed the momentum to push her down into a kneeled position, the tip of her training weapon already moving into Parting the Silk, which due to her low position would be aimed at the Warder's legs. Confident in Kynwric's abilities, she didn't hold back on the swing as she prepared to see what he would counter the move with. Perhaps later, when she'd feel more comfortable with the forms she had just learned, she could add a few variations of it, though for now she needed to find out what he would use to block a low counterstrike with.

Melenis

Still trying out new things