DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Battle of the Bands - HIP HOP

Taymist

The first category for Week 7 is Hip Hop. Below are the nominations from the three Regiments.

The Archers have nominated... GRANDMASTER FLASH

Joseph "Biggie Grand" Saddler, better known as Grandmaster Flash, is an American hip hop musician and DJ; one of the pioneers of hip-hop DJing, cutting, and mixing. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007, becoming the first hip hop/rap artists to be honored. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five pioneered MCing, freestyle battles, and invented some of the staple phrases in MCing.

Although his career was limited to a few years over the late 70's early 80's, since that time he has worked on several other ventures, including a clothing line. He will always be known as the man who brought Hip-hop to the world.

The Cavalry have nominated... RUN D.M.C.

Run-D.M.C. was a pioneering hip hop group during the 1980s founded by Joseph "Run" Simmons, Darryl "D.M.C." McDaniels, and Jason "Jam-Master Jay" Mizell (Murdered in 2002). The group had an impact on the development of hip hop through the 1980s and is credited with breaking hip hop into mainstream music. In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked them number 48 in their list of the greatest ever musical artists of all time.

The Infantry have nominated... THE BEASTIE BOYS

The Beastie Boys are an American hip hop group from New York City. They started out as a hardcore punk group in 1979, and appeared in the compilation cassette New York Thrash with Riot Fight and Beastie. They switched to hip hop with the release of their debut solo album "Licensed to Ill" (1986), which enjoyed international critical acclaim and commercial success. It was a smash success, and was favorably reviewed by Rolling Stone magazine with the now-famous headline, "Three Idiots Create a Masterpiece". Next two albums "Paul's Boutique" and "Check Your Head" managed to get some attention but not as much as "Licensed to Ill" did. "Ill Communication", released in 1994, saw the Beastie Boys' return to the top of the charts. Released July 14, 1998, "Hello Nasty" clocked first week sales of 698,527 in the U.S. and went straight to #1 in the U.S., the UK, Germany, Australia, The Netherlands, New Zealand, and Sweden."To The 5 Boroughs" was released worldwide on June 15, 2004. It was the first album the Beastie Boys produced themselves and reached #1 on the Billboard album charts, #2 in the UK and Australia, and #3 in Germany.

The group is well-known for their eclecticism, jocular and flippant attitude toward interviews and interviewers, obscure cultural references and kitschy lyrics, and performing in outlandish matching suits. They are one of the longest-lived hip hop acts and continue to enjoy commercial and critical success in 2008, more than 20 years after the release of their debut album. On September 27, 2007 they were nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Beastie Boys won two Grammy Awards in 1999, receiving the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album for "Hello Nasty" as well as the Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group for "Intergalactic" This was the first, and as of 2008, only time that a band had won awards in both rap and alternative categories.

Sample Songs:

The Beastie Boys - (You Gotta ) Fight For Your Right (To Party)

The Beastie Boys - Sabotage

There you go. There are the 3 nominations. All you now need to do is pick who you want to win (please highlight in some way or another) and go through as the Champion of Rock for the Grand Final! You have until Sunday 22nd June 2008 to make your choice!

Yeah, another area that's not really my thing generally. I don't know a thing about Grandmaster Flash, never heard of him and Run D.M.C. I haven't been impressed with. I like some of The Beastie Boys stuff so I'll go with them.

Well.. They sure didn't START things. But they sure pushed it along as much or more than others of their time, as far as East Coast style is concerned.....  Run D.M.C. gets my vote

The Beasties never impressed me in the least, none of the White Boy Hip Hoppers/Rappers ever did for that matter. Until M'nM's ( ;)) and Kid Rock came along and Kid's just bombastic as all git out and not much of a writer to my mind. As profane as he is Mr. Mathers III can write very profound thoughts and imagery.

Tough choices, cause I grew up on the Beastie Boys and Run DMC......but where would they be without Grandmaster Flash. 

You are talking about the man responsible for the scritch-scritching of the records.  He invented the freestyle rap. 

[glow=red,2,300]Grandmaster Flash. [/glow] 

Archived