DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Football: EURO 2008

Majsju

Finally! After months of waiting, it is now less than an hour until kickoff.

The groups...

A.

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Portugal

Turkey

Portugal is of course favourites to win this group, lead by the best football player in the world, Ronaldo. The attacking power of this team is simply amazing. After them, Turkey and Czech rep. should battle it out for second place, but Switzerland as hosting nation might perform over their normal ability. My nod goes to Turkey though.

B.

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Germany should walk unbeaten through this group, they are that much beter than the other teams. Behind Germany it will be a close call between Croatia and Poland. For the qualifiers, Poland completely rebuilt the team, and gave the young talents the chance. Which resulted in them winning the group...Croatia has a mix of experience, and two of Europes most exciting young talents. Austria shares the hosting with Switzerland, but is not nearly good enough to be able to make an impact here. Croatia is the favourite to take second spot, but I am leaning towards betting on Poland.

C.

Romania

France

Netherlands

Italy

Talk about the group of death! France, Netherlands and Italy are all capable of winning the whole thing, and Romania could have the chance to advance from the group stage in any other group. But, only two can make it, and my bets are on France and Netherlands. Italy got quite a blow when Cannavaro had to leave the team because of injury, as he is the player who holds the entire defense together. But with Romania capable of stealing points from any of these teams, anything can happen.

D.

Spain

Russia

Greece

Sweden

Rightfully, Spain is huge favourites to win this group. After a shaky start in the qualifiers, they grew together as a team, and now looks incredibly strong. Second spot is less certain. Greece are title defenders, but have lost a few key players. Russiadoes not quite have the players, but they do have a certain Guus Hiddink, a coach who has proved over and over again that he can perform miracles with whatever team he takes charge of. Sweden with one of the best players in the world in Ibrahimovic, but with a coach who insists on keeping his favourite players in the starting XI, despite poor form. Almost impossible to predict, but I do suspect Hiddink has something up his sleeves, so Russia for second place.

Too bad I only see it now, but here are my two cents:

Round 1)

The groups...

A.

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Portugal

Turkey

I had them placed Turkey 1, Portugal 2, Czechia 3, Switzerland 4. I thought Turkey would surprise Portugal, but that didn't happen. The other matches should be won by Turkey and Portugal (unless...)

B.

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Same here: I had Poland 1, Germany 2, Croatia 3, Austria 4; with Poland a first-match surprise over Germany (mainly due to the head-history) and both easily winning Croatia and Austria. It didn't happen. These two combined don't change the quarters, however.

C.

Romania

France

Netherlands

Italy

According to Dutch broadcast, the French miss a lot of confidence. I see them getting beaten by Romania, making this evening's match between the Netherlands and Italy the match for places 1 and 2 (not to play Spain). I'm giving the edge to the Italians for now: they played Belgium last week, and we were outclassed everywhere.

D.

Spain

Russia

Greece

Sweden

Spain should be able to win this group with 9/9. For second place: Greece with almost the same team winning last time; Sweden was an outsider last time; but I'll follow Maj here in giving the edge to Russia. Half the team plays at Zenit StPetersburg (winners of the Uefa Cup), and Hiddink is probably the best coach in the world.

Quarter finals)

Portugal - Poland

Portugal should be able to win this one

Germany - Turkey

Could be close, due to history, but the Germans have more than an edge.

Italy - Russia

Hard one. Italy seems favorite, but I give the advantage to the Hiddink-effect.

Spain - Netherlands

Spain always has a bad period in championships, and the Netherlands are the first serious opponent.

Semi-finals)

Portugal - Germany

Germany hasn't won any match in the previous 2 Euro's, and Portugal's got Ronaldo. Portugal should win.

Russia - Netherlands

Hiddink cannot keep surprising. Whether it be here or in the final, I don't know, but Russia won't win.

Final)

Portugal - Russia/Netherlands

Ronaldinho should be able to get this one. A first for the Portuguese.

According to Dutch broadcast, the French miss a lot of confidence. I see them getting beaten by Romania, making this evening's match between the Netherlands and Italy the match for places 1 and 2 (not to play Spain). I'm giving the edge to the Italians for now: they played Belgium last week, and we were outclassed everywhere.

Is Dutch media really the most credible source here? ;D

Although, if they are correct, I would say that favours France. In the 2002 World Cup, France came as reigning champions, full of confidence, and on paper with the best team of the tournament. What happened? They did not even score a single goal, eliminated in the group.

In the 2006 World Cup, France came with a team everyone considered being way past their best days, and not the best of confidence. What happened? had not Materazzi played dirty with Zidane, France would have won the final.

I have France as winner of the entire tournament, and while the questions raised about Henrys injury, I do not see any reason to change that. Not with a team that has Ribery, who has had a season quite similar to Ronaldo. Though, I think it will depend a lot on whether or not Domenech has the guts to play Benzema. (Just as Netherlands fate will depend a lot on if Van Basten has the guts to play Huntelaar).

As for Italy outclassing Belgium, no offense, but at the moment you do not exactly have one of the greater teams in your history. And when Italy faces tougher opposition, the lack of Cannavaro will be hard to deal with. It would be like England playing without Ferdinand.

Oh wait, England is not playing at all ;D

And no need to rub it in too...Still saw the first game, it wwas a shame the Swiss lost one of their best players, I would have liked to see tham win.

I actually hope Germany win as there are no home nations in the Euro 2008 (though they are showing all the games on Prime time telly). I don't know enough about the form of the countries to give a run down.

Is Dutch media really the most credible source here? ;D

No. In EVERY broadcast they act as if they've already won the tournament, and someone daring to let them lose the finals is't very popular for the moment (f.e. Johan Boskamp, one of the great Dutch trainers).

As for Italy outclassing Belgium, no offense, but at the moment you do not exactly have one of the greater teams in your history. And when Italy faces tougher opposition, the lack of Cannavaro will be hard to deal with. It would be like England playing without Ferdinand.

Oh wait, England is not playing at all ;D

Who was claiming Belgium not being a great team? By the way, we played with the -23 team that's going to Beijing. One of only four European teams that managed that - the others being Serbia, the Netherlands, and Italy.

As for France: if my theory works it'll only work out for the first game. Which starts in 55 minutes. I do not worry them not being at their best against the Netherlands or Italy.

And no need to rub it in too...Still saw the first game, it wwas a shame the Swiss lost one of their best players, I would have liked to see tham win.

I actually hope Germany win as there are no home nations in the Euro 2008 (though they are showing all the games on Prime time telly). I don't know enough about the form of the countries to give a run down.

Switzerland is one of the home teams (and Austria the other).

Well, after tonight Netherlands must be favourites to win the group. Italys defense was weakened, but still, 3-0 is quite impressive. The 0-0 drae between France and Romania clearly showed that Frances biggest weakness is coach Domenech. Subbing Benzema, who was perhaps the best player on the attack? Keeping two defending central midfielders even after Romania took off Mutu and played for 0-0? Keeping Evra on the bench?

Domenech gives Swedens coach a fight for the title Biggest idiot of the tournament.

Why not? You're a top team starting with the only "easy" match, and your opponent has only 10 players between their penalty spot and the goal. Why would you play with less than four defenders?

Not that Donnadoni made much more sense: 3-0 behind in a 4-5-1, he takes a defender out, and replaces it by ... another defender :(

Phew! First 3-0 against Italy, now 4-1 against France. The two finalists in last World Cup. Right now it is hard to see anyone being able to stop the Netherlands. Quite interesting that they are actually playing a more attacking football since Van Basten abandoned the 4-3-3 and totalvoetbal.

Then you clearly do not know anything about football ;D

Austria is the worst team in the tournament, and would not be in it if they had not been granted a free spot because they are co-hosting with Switzerland. Poland on the other hand won their qualifying group, ahead of Portugal and Serbia. They beat Portugal at home.

So, group stage done, and we enter the quarter finals...

Portugal - Germany

Portugals flair and technique vs germanys organisation and physics. Quite an open game, but Portugal has the upper hand in my opinion, because of a certain Ronaldo...

Croatia - Turkey

Croatia was really impressive when they beat Germany and won the group. Turkey had a harder time, but going from 0-2 to 3-2 in the last 15 minutes as they did against Czech Rep. shows some serious determination. Still, Croatia is a better team, and should win.

Netherlands - Russia

Netherlands abandoned their traditional total voetball for this tournament. Russia adopted it, though update it a bit. Russia impressed a lot in the final game against Sweden, but if the Netherlands play as they did in the group, it is the end of the line for Hiddinks youngsters.

Spain - Italy

Spain started great with a 4-1 trashing of Russia. But their weaknesses showed in the narrow win against Sweden. Italy has been far from impressive, but they do have a survival instinct few teams can match. So, while Spain is the better team, I think Italy has a decent chance of winning. Especially with spain history of always under-performing in big tournaments.

Wow...Three games, three favourites eliminated.

Hiddink has done it again, perhaps time for The Netherlands to pay up, and see what he can do with his own national team.

And what a game it was, two teams that strongly favours attacking football having a go at eachother. I almost got exhausted just watching it...

And how many lives does Turkey have? Third game (out of four) they have come from behind and turned it around. I think the key to beating Turkey might be t let them score the first goal... ;D

Wow...Three games, three favourites eliminated.

It would be just great if the trend continued - Turkey kicks the Mannschaft out of the tournament, Spain does the same to Azzuri, just to be eliminated by Russia - so we'll have a Turkey vs. Russia final ;)

Oh, and the saying has to be adjusted a bit: " 'If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much' - unless you're a Russian, trained by a Dutchman (or two)"  ;D

I haven't seen Spain play yet, but would it be such a surprise if they lost from the Russians?

Holland has a lot of very good offensive players who thoroughly beat BOTH finalists of the last world cup to death. Russia won their match. By playing even MORE offensively. And don't look at the first-round match: Arshavin wasn't playing (with Kuyt the second player I'ld want in any eleven - seen some of the UefaCup matches?).

I don't really have that much believe in the Turks. Whoms scalps did they conquer to reach the semis? In their first match they lost 2-0 from Portugal (who weren't a serious opponent for the Mannschaft), they barely won from Switzerland, needed a last-5-minutes miracle against Czechia, and beat Croatia in a penalty shootout. The Turks winning would be a real surprise.

Archived