DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Whats going to happen to Fain?

billoumm7

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

destroyin sadar logoth hasnt had any affect on fain coz mordeth's soul is already free frm the place.

mordeth had been trapped there but it escaped wid fain. so the source of fain's creepy spooky power isnt sadar logoth but mordeth's soul inside him.

wait... is Mordeth even human? was it his soul, or just his strange powers? couldn't he have just been perhaps the essence of the taint on sadin? after all he didn't appear till the trollock wars, and that was long after the taint had taken affect... and where he was between the age of legends and the trollock wars... well perhaps the waste, seachan, or even the blight. he is his own entity, able to fight the shadow as much as the light...

wait... is Mordeth even human?
As far as we know, yes.
couldn't he have just been perhaps the essence of the taint on sadin?
Not really.
where he was between the age of legends and the trollock wars... well perhaps the waste, seachan, or even the blight.
Not born yet, maybe? I'm really not sure how the taint on saidin could manifest itself as a human. Or why.

the taint has manifested itself in other ways... such as the black wind
A corruption of something woven with saidin, taking hundreds of years. How would this create a human so corrupted?
and madashar and the black wind sound very simalar...
How so? Slow moving glowing mist that eats people, fast moving wind that eats souls.
and now it has been proven that madashar is bound to fain, to there must have been a connection...
Mashadar is bound to Fain? Not that I can recall. If you are thinking of the monster-filled mist that arose in ACoS, when Fain slashed Rand with the knife, that has been confirmed as a Bubble of Evil (PoD glossary has the reference, I believe - entry for Daved Hanlon).

and now it has been proven that madashar is bound to fain, to there must have been a connection...
Mashadar is bound to Fain? Not that I can recall. If you are thinking of the monster-filled mist that arose in ACoS, when Fain slashed Rand with the knife, that has been confirmed as a Bubble of Evil (PoD glossary has the reference, I believe - entry for Daved Hanlon).

i think he means that he uses the wind to block a Waygate and reach out after Rand.

i don't think it has anything to do with being bound to him. but just it gets infected(?) with Fains need to find and kill Rand

i think he means that he uses the wind to block a Waygate and reach out after Rand. i don't think it has anything to do with being bound to him. but just it gets infected(?) with Fains need to find and kill Rand
I thought he meant Mashadar, not Machin Shin. He did say Mashadar after all. And bear in mind Machin Shin stopped Rand getting to Toman Head, when Fain wanted Rand to get there. It does seem like Fain's hunt and kill Rand instinct has rubbed off on MS, but whether you would consider this to be "bound to" him, I don't know. I wouldn't.

Indeed

i have a new theory, i got it just a few minutes ago so it's not perfect.

we know that Ishmael was out at the time, maybe it was him doing something to create the feeling off "the light can be bad too" to instil mistrust and hesitation among the forces of the light. remember that SL used almost the same tactics as the Shadow.

now i'm not saying that Ishmael and Mordeth are the same person. maybe Ishy just did something to a random character, twisted and gave him powers like he did to Fain.

maybe even because of that he Mordet alreday was like Fain, and saw him as some sort of kindred spirit, another one who has gone through the same thing and thereby mixed so well with him.

no... Mordin is fully human, where it is clear that that is not entirely true with fain. he was corrupted by the DO into something else. and since he was, it allowed him to survive madashar, and the black wind...

all i was saying before was that these must have changed him, and if he truly is 'possessed' by morderth, well i dont know. for example... when he killed the fade in TGH... not even one of the forsaken would have done a thing like that... it was brutal, and not human... proving his purely evil side...

Fain describes himself as having been "remade" by the Dark One into a hound to hunt Rand, and having been "reborn" after he encountered Mashadar. He gained new powers from Mashadar in EotW-I dont think the same happened with Machin Shin. I think people assume the Black Wind is linked to Fain because he told Moiraine some of the voices of Machin Shin hungered and some greeted him.

it allowed him to survive madashar, and the black wind...
I wasn't aware he had encountered Mashadar.

it was brutal, and not human... proving his purely evil side...
Being brutal and non-human proves he is pure evil? Seems like an odd view of humanity, given we are capable of being brutal and evil. Why does non-human=evil in your book?

and having been "reborn" after he encountered Mashadar.
Again, wasn't aware he had. Quotes?
He gained new powers from Mashadar in EotW
He gained new powers from Mordeth, certainly. I don't recall him getting anything from Mashadar.

Fain has become a fool because of his obsession with Rand. He has helped Rand on a few occasions just because he doesn't want anyone else to kill Rand but himself. He kills Kisman after Kisman escapes being killed by Rand. He basically leads Toram Riatin to Rand and Lan kills him there, eliminating a pesky enemy of Rand's. He also kills that Fade in The Great Hunt. It has become pretty obvious that he answers to no one, except the DO and SH.

Even then, that won't stop him from doing something against the DO that benefits himself as long as he's sure the DO and his fade servant won't find out about it. In the end, I see him getting killed by Thom. It's funny but I always connected him with Thom in a way. One was a peddler, the other a gleeman and were there at the beginning for pretty much the same reason.

It has become pretty obvious that he answers to no one, except the DO and SH.
Fain is rogue, and only answers to himself. He has been since TGH. Why else did the Shadow send Slayer to kill him in TSR?

Thom and Fain were most definitely not there for the same reason.  Thom was there because he was paid to be there for Winternight, and throughout the beginning of the story he wants nothing to do with the adventure, he simply stays because he feels that it is more dangerous to leave.  Once he develops a bond to the boys, he wants to help out (even though he hates AS), but Fain was there as the watchdog, and simply the watchdog, once he found Rand he went back to SG and was "distilled" again.  The "rogue" theory makes sense to me as well, because (don't slam me for quotes) I think I remember him expressing happiness that he is no longer just the watchdog after the joining with Mordeth.  However, the extent of his freedom from the bond are not delved that I remember, but my main statement remains.

The "rogue" theory makes sense to me as well.
Not theory. Fact. The Shadow organised a jailbreak, but after the escape he had to vie with the Fade for supremacy (hence the zig-zag path they take - they go one way under the Myrddraal's orders, they go another under Fain's own whims). Eventually, Fain wins and kills the Lurk, and since then has answered to no higher authority.

• 1 year later...

Archived