DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Whats going to happen to Fain?

billoumm7

Since Shadar Logoth was destroyed, fain's power must be dieing. what strength can he have without his power from that cursed city. After all Moraine called him "Worse than a darkfriend." this happened after he entered Shadar Logoth and the taint on his soul, from the darkone, the evil of madashar, and the power of the blck wind came into him. so now that one of those three tings is gone what will become of the powerful darkfriend?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fain still has power... the power from the daggar doesnt "come" from the city. Everything in that city is tainted in itself.. so if the city is destroyed and something survives.. ie fains dagger. the evil power is still there cause its not directly connected to the city.

-

kinda like cutting the tail off a lizard... lizard is still good, but lost its tail :P

Fain will not and is not losing power, and Sanderson would never act against something RJ has stated as fact--especially since the outline that he has to obey will include Fain at normal strength.

Yes.  Evidence is totally against the idea that Fain would lose power.  Logic is, too.  If the loss of SL meant a loss of evil power in Fain, then distance from it would cause a loss of some evil/power, too.  Fain loses none, in Far Madding, for example.  Mat is no better in Falme while carrying the knife; he actually gets worse.  No, the evil of SL was designed to be spread over the world.  That won't happen now, but whatever is out there remains.  Plus, Fain's evil isn't ALL from SL; he has been "blessed" by the DO, too.

I think that Fain's jealousy and possession over Rand will overcome him in the end, and he will attack someone whom Rand is fighting - possibly even one of the Forsaken.

Ultimately I see him being killed, but how or by whom I'm not sure. If Rand and Moridin go through a body-switch which has been suggested, it's possible Fain will attack and kill Rand, in fact killing Moridin. Perhaps Rand could even manipulate him (Rand in Moridin's body) to do it for him, but I'm not convinced Fain answers to anyone except the DO, and maybe SH.

I think Bob T Dwarf is on the right path. Fain won't change in power, but he grows more unstable as the series goes on. As much rage affects him even seeing a picture of Rand, he could easily take on and kill someone else to get to Rand even if it is a forsaken. I don't know if Fain would even realize it. He is my most hated/loved character in the series, because he is such a loose cannon. Yet, he was able to manipulate two very powerful people (Pedron Niall and the Amrylin Seat) into doing what he wanted.

Yes, I want to see his demise, but I hope it will be amazing!! He deserves a major part, because he was the DO's hound from the beginning.

Elaida's interactions with Fain always bothered me.  She isn't stupid, just rigid in her thinking, self centered, and goal driven (in other words, AS).  Is Fain able to use some sort of compulsion?  I can understand Niall; the lines of authority for DFs is always blurry and caution/obedience the safest ways, but for Elaida to accept anything Fain says seems ridiculous.

That's what is so great about Fain. I don't know how he does it and I don't think its any kind of power, it's he can whine to get his way with some people. Demand with others. Some take pity, others think he's a fool and EVERYONE underestimates him except Rand.

• 2 weeks later...
true that... also something to add... how did he gain control of the black wind as well...? (i just the 2nd book for the 2nd time.)
He didn't. He survived it, and changes start appearing in it after he encounters it, but when he wants Rand to go to Toman Head, setting Machin Shin as a watchdog is somewhat counterproductive.

true that... also something to add... how did he gain control of the black wind as well...? (i just the 2nd book for the 2nd time.)

He communicated with it and told it he understood it. The Black Wind was partially freaked out and partially feeling respect towards him.

He didn't. He survived it, and changes start appearing in it after he encounters it, but when he wants Rand to go to Toman Head, setting Machin Shin as a watchdog is somewhat counterproductive.

not neccessarily.  he DOES want to kill rand.  if rand has to rush to toman head, then he will be exhausted, compared to getting there through the ways, where he will still be full strength.

I thought that Fain's interaction with Niall and Elaida infected them with the suspicion and overall negativity that killed Aridhol.  Moiraine said that if Mat wasn't healed he would begin infecting others just by being near them, so if she was right, then Fain wouldn't need to be near them very long at all to infect them. 

And I interpreted the change in the Black Wind as inheriting Fain's ability to follow Rand along with his desire to kill him. 

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

I can understand Niall; the lines of authority for DFs is always blurry and caution/obedience the safest ways, but for Elaida to accept anything Fain says seems ridiculous.

Hang on, are you saying that Niall was a DF? Where's the evidence for that?

not neccessarily.  he DOES want to kill rand.  if rand has to rush to toman head, then he will be exhausted, compared to getting there through the ways, where he will still be full strength.
He doesn't have to rush straight in, he can rest after arriving on Toman Head, learn the lay of the land. The longer that passes, the less likely the Seanchan are to be remaining watchful for Rand. Or maybe Rand goes crazy and dies while Fain is waiting for him.

I can understand Niall; the lines of authority for DFs is always blurry and caution/obedience the safest ways, but for Elaida to accept anything Fain says seems ridiculous.
Hang on, are you saying that Niall was a DF? Where's the evidence for that?
Niall was certainly not a DF. So there isn't any.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

Niall was certainly not a DF. So there isn't any.

That's what I thought, but the punctuation of the sentence suggests that the author thinks he was.

Quote from: Mr Ares on June 09, 2008, 07:23:26 AM

Quote from: billoumm7 on June 09, 2008, 06:14:14 AM

I'm more inclined to agree with Ares. His interaction with Machin Shin clearly began a sequence of changes in it--possibly in both--but we don't see any clear indications of direct control--it seems more likely that in their interaction Fain passed along some degree of his 'sense of Rand' to Machin Shin, and that this is why the Black Wind was waiting for Rand at both waygates.

That being said what you suggest is indeed possible, Generic Aelfinn, though I'm not sure how long Fain would want to wait on Rand...

Archived