DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Different points of view

trakand_01

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 26, and a little bit married.  currently trying to get custody of my nine month old daughter.  I live in a town in upstate new york, population about 50k.  grew up poor, struggled with reading until i was about 11, but i haven't stopped since.  started reading wot as a sophomore, right before path of daggers. i've reread it for every new release since. 

I traveled the world wrestling for various club teams in high school, then did a little more traveling with the us marines for 7 years.  five years of college, a lifetime of debt, no degrees, my gi bill went straight to my bar tab, then i got to go play war.  luckily it was pretty boring in al asad. 

noticed everybody else threw in some religious stuff, and likes and dislikes.  so i'm kind of a science guy myself, not much room for god when you start feeding the worms.  i'm not particularly against anybody, with a few exceptions.  the suffix "ist" doesn't sit well with me.  i've noticed that many _____ists tend to be narrowminded to the point of ignorance, uncompromising, and generally annoying.  but thats the full spectrum, racists, terrorists, feminists....but that's targeting an attitude, not a race, gender or religion, so maybe i'm ok? 

if we haven't noticed, i'm a bit of a cynic, so i prefer to ditch the real world as often as possible, ie. reading fantasy.  love the series, love the forums, haven't had internet in a while, but maybe i'll see some of you guys around.

if we haven't noticed, i'm a bit of a cynic, so i prefer to ditch the real world as often as possible, ie. reading fantasy.

I do exactly the same, whenever I feel like I can't take any more crap, or that I just need to retreat in a "place" of my own where nothing can disturb me, I grab a book.

And it is such a sweet evasion ^^

• 2 months later...

I noticed that we've got some newbies on here, so thought i'd resurrect this old thread.

It makes interesting reading if you start at the beginning and I'm quite happy to say it pretty much stays on topic!

Looking forwards to 'meeting' you properly.  ;D

Well I'm legally-blind so I have the whole series from audible.  Good thing with CD's is relistens don't wear them out.  I think listening gives a different perspective and I don't think I could actually read all of them in book form.  I like how he describes everything because then I can see it.  I also like how RJ has alot of different cultures.  I both like and have a degree in history so I really appreciate all the mythological references and historical stuff.  I particularly like how RJ has all the wetland characters believe the Aiel are brutal savages and then they find out that yes they are different but they are the same in most respects.  This reminds me of how the british and then the United states treated the Native Americans, pity we figured out only after we had killed most of them that they were far from savages.

Well I cant say that my life hasnt affected my POV in the WoT series.

I am 28(29 in September) was Born in Nacogdoches Texas September 7th 1979.  Raised in Hemphill Texas population 1800.  I have 2 brothers one 4 years older and one 2 years younger.  My older brother reads WOT also, the younger one isnt interested in reading.  When we were growing up there was no sitting in front of the TV all day.  We were told to go play outside and thats what we did.  Growing up I rode horses a lot and had to bail hay during the summer, if you have never hauled hay you are missing out.  In highschool I lettered in football, baseball and track.  I graduated in 1998, did the college thing for 2 semesters and realized that I didnt feel like being in school any more.  The navy recruiter had came and talked to me once and he made it seem like it was all fun and games so I gave that a shot.  Man was he a damn liar.  I didnt see one recruiting poster with the sailors swabbing decks all day or marching around in circles for no apparent reason.  Anyway I got out of the Navy in 03.  Got married a month later, had my first kid in June of 04 and the second in September of 07.  I currently work offshore on an Oil Drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico as an Electronics Technican.  My wife is a stay at home mom and I make enough money for both of us. 

I do believe in god, but I respect the right of others to believe what they want and I expect them to do the same for me.  I guess politcaly I could be considered a liberal conservative.  Some of my Favorite authors are David Eddings, John Ringo, David Webber, Orson Scott Card, RA Salvatore, Terry Goodkind, L.E. Modesitt Jr, to name a few :)

• 1 year later...

What are firedrops? They’re not rubies or garnets, or red opals, because those all are named.

What is a bellfruit? I thought at first it was a pear, but they have pears and apples already.

I'm in the middle of my KoD reread, and I finally decided to try to find out what a firedrop is.  I couldn't find anything definitive, but my best guess is a fire agate:

fire agates

Also, I googled "bell fruit", and I found this.  Makes sense to me, especially since it's somewhat akin to both apples and pears:

Syzygium samarangense

My name Is Dave. I'm 20 y/o and am going to the university on Michigan to be a mechanical engineer.

I believe in God, but find the organized religions don't work too well for me.

Politically most people would call me a republican, but deep down I don't trust large Government and feel life would be better if everyone just took responcibility for themselves.

I started reading WOT during sophomore year in high school. It's still my favorite series but Song of Ice and FIre is getting really good and I'm only half way through.

Something interesting about me: I am involved in Aiki Jujutsu, long boarding and grafitti(before I was arrested)

sheikh chilli here. born on the plains of mongolia. Well the african version of mongolia at least. currently residing in sheffield south yorkshire. biomedical scientist.

massive wot fan. biggest padan fain fan. i remember converting my cousin to the wot by simply reading him out a padan fain chapter actually. it was in lord of chaos where he meets up with a boy and his mother. awesome scene. waiting with bated breath for tgs.

my political and religious ideologies are too complex to mentioned in a single post. would expand on it sometime in the future. peace my fellow brethren

Archived