DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Different points of view

trakand_01

So over time I think we've pretty well established that we are capable of disagreeing on practically every point possible  ;)

That's not a bad thing though - it encourages discussion and debate. It opens us up to new ideas and I know that I certainly learn something new almost every time I read a post and I can't be the only one.

I got to thinking though, I'm pretty certain that who we are and the lives we lead have very very much to do with how we perceive certain things in the books - what we like, what we find annoying, unbelievable, just plain infuriating. Same goes for the forums.

So I thought maybe it would be interesting to see what everyone does, what our backgrounds and lives are like and how that reflects on our 'Personal WoT Experience'.

For myself, I'm female, 26, born and bred South Yorkshire, UK (Sheffield) in a stable one-child family, parents are still happily together. I have a love of the english language and read whenever I have spare time, although just of late that isnt often enough. I read many different genres depending on my mood although WoT and Fantasy Fiction are my first choice.

I live with my partner of 4 and a half years in a house in Conisbrough, just on the outskirts of Doncaster, UK with our dog, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel called Rex, who is 18 months old. My partner doesnt read for recreation, we have no plans to marry - it's just not important to us - and no plans for children this side of 30. We are relatively high-earners, live in a quiet community and work (together) in IT - I am a system tester.

I have a very open-minded view of the world, I have no prejudice against people of any race, age, sex, sexuality or religion (although I personally am a complete athiest), instead preferring to make judgements (where necessary) on a personal level once I get to know people. I like to see beneath the veneer that each person paints themselves with, to the 'real' person inside. Which is why I've come to love Elayne, Faile and Nynaeve.

I am happy to accept criticism where necessary and I appreciate that everyone has their own opinion. I do not, however, take well to agression or being told that I am 'wrong' just because I dont agree. I never assume that I am unequivocally right, and see being proved wrong as a learning curve, rather than something to lose sleep over.

Overall I'm a happy, intelligent person with a good sense of humour, if a very british one. Anyone watching Blackadder or Have I Got News for You will be able to pick up what I find funny.

I'm an old romantic and at the age of 15 happily sunburned the back of my legs reading, and re-reading the Rand/Min encounter (the first one). I do love a good sword-fight though.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, trakand01 it is amazing how similar and yet different just me and you are. I agree on your first part and I've seen and enjoyed the different cultures, backgrounds and beliefs we all have and yet through all of the differences there is WOT to bind us together.

I am third of six kids and I live in a small town in Utah (Syracuse) about 30 miles from a bigger city (Salt Lake City). I am about a mile away from the lake. My religion is LDS (Mormon) and yet I am not practicing at this time. I try not to be bias against any religion, color, creed and I think humanity is good in general.

My dad was a schoolteacher of History, my mom a homemaker. We were definetly not on the rich scale, but made enough to enjoy vacations to various parts of the U.S.A. once a summer. I am now married to the greatest lady in the world and have 2 kids a boy and a girl, who are both autistic. We love them dearly and enjoy the "challenge". We have two dogs, a dauchsund (Molly) and a chow lab mix (Emiline Josephine Fuzzybum), my wife and daughter picked out the names.

I taught myself to read at 4 years old and have loved all different kinds of books. Very seldom have I not been able to finish a book, sometimes I read 3 books at once (home, to and from work, and at work). I don't drive, so bus rides and walking while reading is my transportation.

I like to say I am happy except for my job which I hate. Not the job itself, but I am having major problems with some co-workers. I'm hoping I will be transferred soon.

Well, here goes

Im 26 as well, Aussie, if you can't guess by the name, and live in a city of about 30000 people on the edge of the desert called Kalgoorlie, a historical gold mining town. Im a chef and love my work, especailly when a customer remarks about how good the food is.

Im the oldest of 8 kids, all but one half-sibs. I learned to read when i was 4, and was reading at an 8th grade level in my first grade. My mother is a primary school teacher, my father a process metallurgist and my step-father a miner. I have a samoyd names Jarman, and 2 cats called Gribble and Garfield.

I am not married but have a wonderful, if sometimes stormy, relationship with someone very special, who is a waitress at another hotel. No kids, but i do have a niece and nephew, one in foster care, the other in full-time hospital care.

In the future I wish to be a published fantasy writer, although i cannot find the time to write anything. my three main passions are reading, cooking and writing, thoughlike Mat, trying to do as little work as possible may be my 4 passion.

It's funny, I had plans to ask this same question.

DOB - 12/10/1969

Occupation - Mortgage Broker

Location - Denver Colorado

Kids - None

Unmarried

Dogs - Four

Two Greyhounds Pete and Quake, Great Dane, Riley

Australian Cattle Dog Roxey

You're right, trakand01; who, where, and how we are is truly reflected in our POVs.  I'm 56, 30 years married, two kids (26,24), two grand kids.  My wife and son almost NEVER read fantasy/sf; my daughter and son-in-law are as into WOT as me.  It's great to have the conversations with them!  From Wisconsin, USA - huge sports nut (Green Bay Packers are my Sunday religion, for those from the states).  First introduced to fant/sci fi by my mom at age 9; she made me order The Hobbit from the school book thing because she wanted to read it.  Biggest old influences in the genre are Vonnegut, Asimov, and Simak - newer (at least for me) are Card and Tad Williams (besides RJ).   

totalyy agree with the whole who you are infuences your viewpoint idea. as it is im 17, been reading WOT since i was 12, am in my final year in secondary school in in a tiny town in rural ireland. none of my family or friends have read any of the WOT (despite much encouragement!!) im a budding musician, a singer songwriter and a multi-instrumentalist, i live for music and words. i am thankfully free of responsibilities of the adult kind, im in a long distance relationship, imsitting my leaving cert in 5 weeks time, i plan to go to college  to study music technology and become a producer and full time musician. through out my teenage years WOT has kept me sane and allowed me to escape into another world when it just didnt feel like this one is real. i am an outsider here, in randland i am a welcome visiter.

Alrighty...

I am 31 (32 in august), living in Sweden. Have read WOT since 92.

I am currently studying Human Ecology and French, before I came to my senses I wasted 2½ years in law school. I have also taken a lot of music and theatre classes on the side, just for fun. I am a football fanatic (Manchester United is basically my religion), and find the rednecks version of "football" repulsive. I am also militant single.

I occassionally work with sustainable development on EU level, with english as the working language, so I do believe I have a decent grasp of the language.

Also, I am an elitist, arrogant a**hole, and quite proud of it ;D

I also think it is great to see the backgrounds that people come from.

I am 18 years old and began reading the Wheel of Time since I was in 8th grade, 13 years old, aand have loved it since. There have been 3 major influences in my life. My father and his discussions about a.m talk radio which was all we had in his car since i can remember. My mother and how she was treated by her various boyfriends taught me how women should be respected and treated. Robert Jordans The Wheel of Time basically filled in most of the rest of the gaps. In 9th grade I had to live with my stepmom for about 3 months and the wold of WoT became mine and it was almost like a bible and an ever lasting escape to me. The only thing that could make it better would be if there was a Risk game based off it. Risk and Hockey are my other 2 passions. I was born and raised on the front range of the Rocky Mountains in a glorified truck stop called Monument, Colorado. Unlike most if my peers, at the age of 18 and 2 days I raised my right hand and swore to up hold the constitution against all enemies foreign and domsestic as a United States Marine. I now live in the Worlds Greatest Place, 29 Palms, California(Sarcasm, I hate the desert).  Basically the middle of the Mojave Desert. Even though I hate the location I love being a Marine and will probably make it my life.

Well, lets see.

I am 43 (44 in October), and graduated from Abilene High School in Abilene, Tx in 1982. I went to college at Tennessee Temple University in Chattanooga, Tn; and then I transferred and went to college for a few years over at Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Mo. In 1993, I joined the United States Army, and I was a soldier for almost 15 full years before deciding it was time to move on, and start a career as a civilian. During my time as a Sergeant, I was deployed twice for a total of two years in a three year period over to Iraq with my signal battalion from Fort Lewis, Wa.

I am still single, with no children of my own. However, I am now living outside of a small town in Missouri with my Fiance` and her 16 year old son. Before long, we shall be married.

In 1991, while working and also being a full-time student, I was introduced to The Eye of the World by a friend of mine at the restuarant we both worked. Ever since then, after reading through the first 100 pages of EoTW, I was hooked on RJ's WOT, and knew that every time I read a WOT book, I was reading the greatest epic fantasy series ever written.

Great discussion, I agree wholeheartedly.  My background really does color my perspective when reading the story.  So here's mine:

I'm a 24 year old guy, living in Columbia, South Carolina.

I started readin WOT in 2001 when I was 17 years old (a junior in high school).  I am currently one year from finishing law school, at which point I will go into criminal prosecution.  (And to Majsju, I feel for you, anybody who takes more than a year of law and decides against it, ouch)  I am single, with no prospects, and I probably won't get myself any prospects until I finally pass the bar (just before AMOL should come out.

One younger brother, reasonably affluent upbringing, (but not affluent enough to pay for school) My parents were teaching me to read when I was less than two, and I have not stopped since.  I read voraciously (a prerequisite for law) and fantasy/sci-fi is my genre.  (Although alternate history is a great sub-genre)  The alternate history appeals to the history buff (read:  nerd) in me.

Let's see, I am very tolerant of everything except wilfull stupidity, which sadly comes from people of every background and viewpoint.

I love american football (Carolina Panthers fan) and for those of you who find european football entertaining, I am sorry, I just can't enjoy it, I've tried.  It's just boring.  Guess its jsut not my culture.

Yeah I think I left some things out too.

Eventually my partner and I wish to move to Halifax, NS to start a new life over there. I am quite patriotic and proud of pretty much all things British. For recreation in the winter we go every week to watch Ice Hockey (Sheffield Steelers or Sheffield Scimitars) and Ron Shudra is my favourite player.

I don't believe in God, I do believe in the Iraq war (I just wish they'd told us the truth) and I'm not a 'children' person until they get old enough to read.

I'm not sure if anyone is on Facebook - I use it for keeping in touch with old friends. If you fancy, feel free to search for me - Sarah Smith, in the Sheffield Network. My profile picture has an image of me, in a yellow vest, infront of the Trevi Fountain.

This is a good idea for a thread. Hmmm.

Well, I'm 20. I live in Sydney, Australia, and currently go to Sydney University and study Arts, majoring in Religious Studies (I'm an athiest, just for clarity) and minoring in philosophy and sociology--currently, anyway. I've taken a year off at the moment though to finish off my book (Yeah, yeah, I know... wanky). I work in a photolab--and yes, we do get to see the photos. I began reading WoT when I was 13, and still love it. About the only other thing that probably influences my opinions is that I'm gay--bring on the pillowfriends discussions, lol.

hooray! Another aussie!

A few things I left out, my brother and father are WoT fans too, not as mush as me, but  it was me who got them into it. I started reading WoT when i was about 17, when i loaned it from the library. I still havent taken it back. I'm an Aussie Rules Fan, two fave teams are the Dockers (who really arent that great but a true fan supports them anyway) and Essendon. American and European football dont interest me, american style are generally wusses, you wanna play it properly, get the protective gear off. And soccer simply bores me to tears.

I like learning, and am really enjoying this thread. Its amazing that so many truly different people from so many places are drawn together by this one series of books.

This is cool hearing about others.  I really enjoy reading the opinions of others on here, especially when your backgrounds and upbringings are so different.  I'm 43, will have been married 13 years come June to someone who has never read fantasy.  I have a son who will be 11 next week and is just starting to read fantasy.  I have gone to college 3 times.  They kicked me out the first time and I have degrees in accounting and business from the other two.  I spent five years in the Navy.  I currently live near South Bend, IN and work as a cost analyst for a very large corporation.  I have been reading fantasy for as long as I can remember.  I started out on Tolkien, Zelanzy, Howard and LeGuin and my newest favorite is Sanderson.  I am a Christian but hold to no denomination and attend a nondemoninational church.  I love anything to do with outdoors and sports and have recently gone on a mission to improve my health in hopes that I live long enough to see my son grow up.  To date I have lost 60lbs and hope to lose about another 20.  I also have two dogs, a collie named Bingo and a new beagle puppy named Fergie.

So over time I think we've pretty well established that we are capable of disagreeing on practically every point possible  ;)

I disagree.

I was born during the reign of King Edward VII. I've lived most of my life in the UK. I have an unreasonably large number of children (not to mention a large number of unreasonable children). I've long been retired, but when I did work I was a soldier, a teacher, a politician and a civil servant, among other things. I am the second of 6 children, and the third of 7. I was married in the past, but am currently single (I just got all the single women on the board nervous with that, didn't I?). I've never really seen the point in discrimination along the lines of class, sex, sexual orientation, race, religion and so on. I've never believed in god, but have converted to Catholicism for the sake of marriage on two occasions.

Here's a slightly less dry post as well.

I was more or less raised by my grandparents after my father split when I was 10 and mom lost it for good.  I have been living on my own since I was 15.  I was married but am no longer.  No kids or any desire to have any.  Four dogs is enough.

I attended several colleges, which shall remain nameless (though I will say I have something in common with Jim Brown) in the Northeast US and after kindly being invited not to return to the first three after some of my "antics" I finally buckled down, started studying and got by Bachelors in World History.  Not a major I would recommend.

I still own every book I've ever purchased, vound or was given, since high school and at last count was well over three thousand.  Makes moving a nightmare but I can't bring myself to get rid of a book.

I am a Buddhist, have been for about 8 years, and have the shaved head and celibate lifestyle to prove it.  Unfortunately, it makes me look a lot more like a particularly unsavory outlaw biker than a monk but that's nature for you.

FREE TIBET!!!!

I didn't really include any of my views on things of the world so here are a few additions.  I am a Christian but I don't think that makes me any more or less than anyone else.  If someone wants to ask me about my beliefs I'll be more than happy to tell them but I don't go around trying to shove them down peoples throats.  At the time of invasion, I thought, like a lot of people, that the Iraqi war was justified.  Given the information that has since come to light, I do think it is (not was) wrong but I also think that we cannot just pull out without making sure that the whole region will not collapse into a worse state then it was before we went in there.  I don't think discrimination is right regardless of the reason.  But I think that also works both ways.  Just because you or a group you belong to has been discriminated against at some point and time does not mean you can take it out on the rest of the world and should not mean that you are now entitled to special privliges.  At one time or another I have had friends of pretty much every race, creed and sexual preference and have never had a problem with.  What I do have a problem with is those few who use their "differentness" as weapon for attention or an excuse for rudeness.  And that's all I have to say about that.  Oh, and I do have to say that sometimes I like to disagree just to disagree.

This is great. I'm amazed I got such a good response.

To add some more;

My parents I'm pretty sure want me and my partner to marry, I dont think they can completely understand why we don't (especially my mother) - they married at 19 (dad) and 20 (mum). My partner's parents have quite a dysfunctional life - they have separate rooms, separate friends and have never been on holiday together. My partner as a result is a completely different person to me.

I am quite calm, having a history of paranoia and panic - for years I would panic over how I would be accepted, and would lose sleep if I had to do something I'd never done before (even find my way to a lecture theatre I had never been to before). At a point I cannot put my finger on, I gained confidence from somewhere, and became a much happier person. I refuse to lay down and let people walk over me, but am also sensitive to other's needs and aspirations.

I have a very sarcastic nature and wholeheartedly believe that each should have their own - what is good for you may not be good for me, but I am happy with my own life.

I'm so enjoying this thread.

I am a football fanatic (Manchester United is basically my religion), and find the rednecks version of "football" repulsive.

Cultural difference there, Majsju - as a note, many years ago I coached youth (ages 5 & 6) "soccer", as we call it (calling our football "football" has always been a misnomer). I was horrible at it; laughing too hard while kids picked dandelions or chased butterflies during the games.  Had a great time, though.  No wonder it hasn't caught on here!  I actually like watching the sport - lots of beauty involved.  I was much better at coaching baseball.

I love the fact that after working form 8 this morning until 9 tonight that I can come upstairs and "talk" with people from Sweden, England, Ireland, Australia, many parts of the USA, and points unknown - no big deal to most of you, but wow!  I didn't even have TV in my house from ages 5 to 12 (my mom thought it deadened the mind, and we weren't reading enough - way ahead of her time).  It seems that the most common thing connecting us is that we all at least attempt to have an open mind.  Not too surprising; you have to be able to "suspend disbelief" to be a fantasy/sci fi fan.

Great stuff, trakand 01!

I love it too - Most of my posts I do whilst I'm at work (shhhhhh!!), but no matter the time of day, there's always SOMEONE up and about. I guess at the moment (850am GMT) most people will be asleep or just about, but pretty soon I know Europe will be online.

Its interesting to see that this thread has had lots of viewings, yet only the 'forum regulars' have responded, and you've all been very enthusiastic which is great for me - I'm hugely interested in other people and what shapes them throughout their lives. This is something that started with my partner because the impact that his parents (mainly his mother) and their lives have had on him is so visible.

Keep it coming!! ;D

Cultural difference there, Majsju - as a note, many years ago I coached youth (ages 5 & 6) "soccer", as we call it (calling our football "football" has always been a misnomer). I was horrible at it; laughing too hard while kids picked dandelions or chased butterflies during the games.  Had a great time, though.  No wonder it hasn't caught on here!  I actually like watching the sport - lots of beauty involved.  I was much better at coaching baseball.

Well, when kids are around 5-6, it can not really be called "coaching", can it? ;D I quit playing when I was 12 (due to an obvious lack of talent ;D ), and even then there could at times be a somewhat lesser focus than the coach wished for...

And as for cultural difference, I have never been able to find baseball even remotely entertaining. Cricket on the other hand, that can be a very fascinating game. Too bad it is such a small sport here it is almost impossible to see a game.

I actually have to thank cricket for developing my awareness and lack of judgement towards many different types of people.

My partner plays cricket every season for the local team and the social side of the game is very big in our village. It is not a game any more which is played by the stiff upper lipped classes, but by people from every walk and generation. Our village has a very 'colourful' population and there are practically every type of people at the Club from builders to teachers to salesmen to schoolkids.

It is refreshing to be part of something which brings you into contact with people whom otherwise, you would never meet.

I think this sort of thing is healthy and does help when reading stories with 'unconventional' plots such as the Rand/Avi/Min/Elayne, Moiraine/Nynaeve/Myrelle/Lan, Tam-not-being-rand's-dad stuff, it makes you much more open-minded.

On the other hand, I've always seen Baseball to be something similar to Rounders (UK school PE lesson game thing).

With baseball there are two very important considerations to keep it from inspiring yawns.

1. You must be there, physically.  Watching Baseball on the TV makes me want to reach for a gun, to use on myself.  And I can watch golf on TV.  But to go to coors field and buy a $6 rockpile ticket and drink beer and eat hot dogs and peanuts and smell the grass and feel the sunshine.  That right there is the important half of baseball.

2. You have to now how to play the game.  And really know the nuances and strategies, not just the rules.  What are the players going to do if the ball is hit bouncing between second and short?  When to bunt?  When to sacrifice fly?  If you don't know the game, no point in watching.

Archived