DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Places you've been.... what do you recommend visiting when you travel?

I like to travel when I can and I really enjoy seeing the local sites. So when you go traveling what things would you like to see or what would you recommend seeing in certain places?

I will be going to Amsterdam soon and I would love some recommendations on what to visit while I'm there. I would also love the names of some good, fairly inexpensive CD shops too! ;)

As for places I've been, I loved Italy, Pompeii was especially good, particularly if you are into old historical things. Rome is also a beautiful city to visit if you're into architecture.

If you like wide open spaces and enjoy nature, go to Montana, the mountains and expanses of plains are quite relaxing when you want to get away from the rush of life.

I live in England, so I also recommend Stonehenge, Camden Market in London and if you're into the arts I highly recommend seeing a West End play while you're here.

The thing I enjoyed the most in Amsterdam was walking along the canals and just watching all the wacky architecture. It is such a beautiful city.

The Rijksmuseum is very interesting. And if you get a chance, try go to an Ajax game. Nowhere near as expensive as watching football in England.

The Anne Frank museum is also worth visiting when you're in the Netherlands.

Are you only going to Amsterdam?

Alot of tourists go there, if you really want to tast more of the Dutch culture I'd recommend Volendam.

I personally dislike Amsterdam..

Then again I haven't been there alot :-\

CD shops?

Probably Free Records or Music store.

There are some cheap stores but I don't have the names of them!

If in America...

Horn's Top Ten Places to Visit (in America)

1. Washington D.C. - Especially if you are American, this is a great place to go. Not only is there a ton of rich history, neat monuments, and the Smithsonian Institution, but most everything is FREE!!

2. Disneyland - I know that is so cliche, but who cares?! Whether as a kid, or an adult, Disneyland is a ton of fun. Great shows, great rides.. the whole 9 yards.

3. Disney World - Another cliche... and why World after Land? While Disney World has the EPCOT Center (AWESOME place... you literally get to tour the world. People from several countries work there in their own themed area of the park, giving you a taste of where they are from. Very culterally enlightening.), all of its 4 parks are spread out. Unlike Disneyland, it is very expensive and time consuming to visit all the attractions, and a very large portion of the attraction is at Disneyland. Disney World has maybe 20-30% more than Disneyland, but it also takes 4 extra locations to do so.

4. Grand Canyon, Arizona - The Grand Canyon is my second favorite natural site in America. It is simply breathtaking to view it in person!

5. Colorado Springs, Colorado Whether you are in to museums, nature (Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, etc), or just a fun place to relax, CO Springs is for you. Also if you have children who listen to Adventures in Odessey, their company's studio (Focus on the Family) is located there, and they have decent facilities for tourists there as well.

6. New York, New York - Broadway. Need I say more? But for the non-artsy types, NY has EVERYTHING. The Yankees, the Mets, great street vendors, the night life.. you name it, it is there.

7. Crater Lake, Oregon The deepest lake in North America, and the 7th deepest in the world, Crater Lake is a deep clear blue lake in the crater of a volcano. The only reason I rate it below the Grand Canyon is because it is a little bit more remote... but it is my top nature site in the United States.

8. Atlanta, Georgia Atlanta has a ton of attractions as well... 6 Flags, Atlanta Braves/Hawks/Falcons, and the World of Coca-Cola to name a few. Nearby Stone Mountain is also a really fun climb for nature enthusiasts, and at night they play a neat "lasor light show" against a cliff on the mountain. Just watch out though.. Atlanta drivers are CRAZY!!!

9. Hawaii - Beaches, Pina Coladas, more beaches, volcanos, beaches, hiking... and beaches.

10. Las Vegas, Nevada - Even if you are not the gambling type, Las Vegas still has plenty to offer, even for the family. Whether it be shows or resorts, you are sure to find something fun. As for myself... the Star Trek Experience!!!

My most enjoyable trip so far has definitely been going to Florida...a park a day for five days....expensive but tons of fun! :)  And, Horn mentioned EPCOT...make sure you do the 'tour of the world' and don't get caught up on the rides....I missed out on a lot because we didn't actually do that walk around :(  The best part of our Florida vacation though was the week we spent in Naples...stayed at a condo that was a ten minute walk from the beach...talk about simply amazing! :)

As for other places....I've had a band trip to both Chicago and San Antonio.  I'd love to go back to both and do more sightseeing without having 50 other people along, lol!  I've also been to the St. Louis arch multiple times...while the first time up in the arch is fun...the fourth or fifth time is just plain dull...the museum beneath the arch never gets old though! :)

Archived