DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Anime] Do you watch anime?

SinisterDeath

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmm... anime I've watched that I felt were good enough for me to remember to list here.

Code Geass

Myself; Yourself

Dragonball Z

Bleach

Naruto/Naruto Shippuden

Sasameki Koto

Slam Dunk

Aoihana

Mobile Suit Gundam

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Full Metal Alchemist (not watched Brotherhood, but I've read the manga)

TTGL

Mmm... to comment on some of these.

I'd advise anyone to watch Code Geass. It somehow manages to pull off epicness despite making a number of pretty basic mistakes in its execution. I think it manages to somehow run on Rule of Cool in an intellectual sort of way, as opposed to TTGL that manages it on pure testosterone driven manliness.

I'd also suggest Myself; Yourself for anyone that wants a darker anime. I just watched it in a single sitting today (hey, its Sunday and I was bored) and just let me say that in many respects it is one of the most depressing things ever after the first few episodes. This all kinda culminates in episode 13 and if you have family/friends/yourself that died/tried suicide, I'd suggest perhaps not watching the show. If you do watch it, have Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu on standby as the perfect antidote for the rather drama filled Myself; Yourself. I will spoil this for you though... it has a happy ending. Well, a bittersweet one. But more sweet than bitter. That doesn't change the fact that I'm still rather depressed afterward.

Aoihana and Sasameki Koto are both my experiments in Yuri that I found to be really good. They have good characters and aren't filled with fan-service.

TTGL, ahhh... for someone like me, who still doesn't understand the greatness of Neon Genesis Evangelion, this anime was great. Not to bash NGE; I've just never bothered to sit down and watch it and every time I try I've not been impressed. I think it's a kinda "but they did it first" thing, which is cool. But yeah, TTGL is great. Very soft sci fi, but that's part of its charm; fighting spirit is literally an energy source that they use to power stuff.

Bleach/Naruto are both great in their own ways. Give Bleach a watch if you want awesome sword-fights and a large, diverse cast of characters with unique and interesting powers. Naruto has the "smarter" fights for the most part, though in the manga recently some of the Bleach cast have suddenly grown smart and shown ability to coordinate attacks or plan. I'd take Bleach over Naruto only if because I feel it sticks to its strengths better; Naruto too often comes across as a bit preachy in its message.

Haruhi is just awesome. I watched both seasons in chronological order so I really can't tell you which order its best to watch in. I just know that it's a really cool story in chronological order and I didn't even notice the second season as inferior, like everyone else says. Except Endless Eight. Dear god, why the same episode 8 times in a row with slight differences to show what a time loop is like?

On the Gundam series... what can I say, really? They're Gundam. Enjoy. Same goes for DBZ.

I kinda read more manga than watch anime so my list isn't that long. But I figured I'd put it up, with my thoughts, just for the heck of it. I've seen many more than I put up but these are the only ones standing out to me right now.

Love haruhi, especially some of the specail effects they use were so well done, haven't seen the second season yet

Do yourself a favor and avoid the Endless Eight, at least most of it. You might also want to watch it all in chronological order this time around, as that was the order the second season was aired in. But yeah. Avoid Endless Eight... just watch the first episode and the last, or maybe even only the last, of that arc.

After that, the movie will hopefully be out on DVD :D

DBZ ( all 3 versions )

Vampire Hunter D

Akira

Gundam

Bleach

Inuyasha

Deathnote ( great anime only 2-3 seasons i think so its short but amazing )

FMA ( epic but prefer the Brotherhood version )

Naruto/ N Shippuden

X

Ninja Scroll

Shadow Skill

Record of Lodoss War

Record of Lososs War: Chronciles of the Heroic Knight

Trigun

Cowboy Beebop

some more i just can't recall atm.

if anyone likes the sword and sorcery genre / DnD style check out Record of Lodoss Wars and  Chonicles of the heroic knight which is and extended version. similar to how there was FMA and an FMA : Brotherhood.

and to all that read the Manga. FMA ended.  :'(

• 1 month later...

The Girl who lept through Time; is an interesting anime movie I saw a while back.

Is Haruhi, anything like Higurashi? Cause it sounds alot like it...

Have you ever seen The Placed Promised in Our Early Days? Amazing, introspective, beautiful film, one of my favorites of all time. Very similar in feeling to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Going to give Eyeshield 21 a watch-through.

Also watched Hikaru no Go on Hulu. Amazing anime, I'd advise anyone to watch it. They make the relatively boring game of Go very exciting and I really wanna find a good program for my PC to play it some.

Also tried Black Blood Brothers. It wasn't bad but didn't hold my attention... unlike Hikaru no Go, which I ended up marathoning.

So yeah. My recommendation is Hikaru no Go. Watch it. Now.

ETA: Also, a new season of To Aru Majutso no Index is starting for fans of the first season.

/goes back to Eyeshield 21

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like most dubbings- except for Inuyasha.. Only because I originally saw it dubbed and enjoyed it very much, watching it in japanese with english subs felt off. Otherwise I prefer to watch them in their original language with subs.

I don't just watch Anime, but read the Mangas.. And with my computers youtube-loading abilities Manga are easier and faster to read compared to letting 10minutes of an episode load for half an hour. :P Heres a basic list of what I can remember:

Chobits

Fruit Basket

Absolute Boyfriend

Pichi pichi Pitch

Abenobashi

Inuyasha

Sailer Moon

Love Hina

Naruto/Shipuuden

FMA

DBZ

Deathnote

Robo Tech

Sakura Card Captor

Chibi Vampire

& manymany more.

Do you guys watch Anime Movies as well? My favorites are Akira and Appleseed.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now the only anime I am watching/reading is One Piece. I tried Bleach as well but the writing is really horrible so now I stick only with One Piece. It's a really fun anime with some surprisingly emotional moments

And of course I have watched anime in the past but I am too lazy to make a list

• 3 weeks later...
  • Community Administrator

Do you guys know of some good Anime Series that are dark and brutal. I'm talking Berserk - my all time favourite - Claymore, Guyver styled.

Gun Grave

Black Lagoon

Elfen Lied

Possibly D.Gray Man? (Think bleach, only people die.)

Do you guys know of some good Anime Series that are dark and brutal. I'm talking Berserk - my all time favourite - Claymore, Guyver styled.

If you read any manga you might give Vinland Saga a go (starts off more shounen, then goes down a different path). Its compared to Berserk quite a bit. Another possibility (manga again) would be Vagabond.

• Community Administrator

I've seen Elfen Lied, good anime. Black Lagoon, I just received the box set for that from a friend. How good is the english voice acting? Or would it be better to watch it in Jap?

What is Gun Grave about?

Cheers dude

The Dub isn't bad, has some voice actors from bebop...

But I think the jap/sub is better in almost all cases.

GunGrave.. Its kinda Mafia Based.

• 2 weeks later...

Bleach

Naruto

Samurai 7

Samurai Champloo

Claymore

Samurai Deeper Kyo

Rurouni(sp?) Kenshin

Railgun

Hellsing

Rosario+Vampire(my lil sis made me >.> )

Black Lagoon

Blade of the Immortal

Blood+

probally more that are slipping my mind at the moment

also read some manga.

Hmmm. I've read/seen a significant amount of:

1/2 Prince

Angel Sanctuary

Azumanga Daioh

Bakuman

Black Cat

Bleach

Busou Renkin

Cain Saga

Cardcaptor Sakura

Chibi Vampire

Code Geass

Count Cain

D.Gray-Man

DBZ

Death Note

Doki Doki School Hours

Fairy Cube

Fruits Basket

Fullmetal Alchemist

Gankutsuou

Genshiken

Gilgamesh

Gintama

Grand Guignol Orchestra

Gravitation

Hikaru no Go

xxxHolic

Honey and Clover

Hunter x Hunter

Inuyasha

Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Kyo Kara Maoh

Lucky Star

Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch

MeruPuri

Mononoke

Nana

Naruto

Ouran High School Host Club

Petshop of Horrors

Please Save my Earth

Princess Princess

Revolutionary Girl Utena

RG Veda

Rurouni Kenshin

Sailor Moon

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Soul Eater

Tekkonkinkreet (sp?)

They Were Eleven

Tsubasa

Vampire Doll

Vinland Saga

The Wallflower

Yami no Matsuei

Yu-Gi-Oh

Yu Yu Hakusho

And many more I'm probably forgetting.

Favorites-

D.Gray-Man-It's a typical shonen series but done right. The characters are surprisingly well-developed and deep, and the story is simple but complex. It gets pretty graphic and creepy sometimes... and people die.

Anything by CLAMP- Oh CLAMP...

Anything by Kaori Yuki- she tends to do gothic/horror stuff... with lots of bishonen.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei- It's really crazy and random. It satirizes lots of random things about modern Japenese society, but up to eleven. Seems like it was made on drugs.

Mononoke- It's pretty scary, but the animation is AMAZING.

Vampire Doll- The art is quite frilly and pretty. It's very funny, too.

Princess Princess- A short, light-hearted anime about cross-dressing boys. Absolutely hilarious and dripping with Ho Yay.

Pet shop of Horrors- Swings between scary, heartwarming, and totally random.

Oh- and am I the only one out there that hates tsunderes?

I'm an anime fan too. My favorites are Yu Yu Hakusho, Sailor Moon, Trigun, Hellsing, Cowboy Beebop and Lain.

As for English or Japanese, I like listening to the Japanese voices, but sometimes being nearsighted the subtitles can be hard to read. If they are I try o find a dubbed version.

Archived