DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand and Liandrin

Luckers

I've started my own re-read to parallel Brandon's and i came accross something peculiar today. I'm sure everyone remembers Rand's feeling that he was being watched in the beginning of the Great Hunt. He describes it specifically as the feeling of eyes on him, peering at him. He even specifies that it feels like one set only.

Now in my first read through i thought it was Fain that he was feeling... a reference to Fain's peculiar sense of him, something which is reinforced time and again in this book. But thats where it gets curious, because later in the same section we get a POV from Liandrin wherein she has the exact same feeling. Again, she describes it as the feeling of eyes on her, and again she specifies one set only. Why would Fain be aware of Liandrin?

What do you all think? The descriptions seem too close for it to be unrelated... so who could be watching them? It occurs to me that it might be the Dark One--subtle hints of the collapsing seal--or perhaps even Lanfear... but yeah, im stumped.

As a new poster (but not new reader) here, I dont want to bite over too much, but:

I think you might be reading too much into it. Though I agree that it definately could be the DO thats "watching" them, I dont think it means much for the story. It could just be RJ using the opportunity to paint the tension of the moment as "creepy".

In the later books Fain can pick out Darkfriends by just looking at them. Could be some form of that going on, or as Cepheus says, that it's just added for ambiance.

I always assumed that it was Taim looking through the walls at her as she was resident Darkfriend Aes Sedai, looking at her for removement from the jail. Like Elmis said Taim's able to find Darkfriends through his erm work with the DO, though I can't look for an appropriate quote at the moment.

OOC: Welcome back luckers, not seen a recent post from you for a while

OOC: Welcome back luckers, not seen a recent post from you for a while

Thanks! I was on holidays up the coast. t'was fun.

It could still be Fain, but it just doesn't make much sense, and RJ usually has a reason behind most of what he does, even the small moments like that.

Unless Padian Fain Turns out to be one of the Male Chosen masquarding a a darkfriend he would be of litle mind to Lindren.  She would simply oblitriate him if he became a nusiance to her.  She is one of the Chosen after all.  If Fain is not one of the chosen, then he dies a horrible death if he crosses Linderan in any way.

Liandrin is hardly a chosen...especially now

Personaly, I think RJ has used her as a kind of get what you deserve character. For everything that she has done (especialy to the wonder girls) she has fallen further than even she thought she could fall. And deserves every inch of every bruise from every beating. If she is lucky she will end up alive after TG and *giggles like a school girl* The Personal Hand Maid Of Her Royal Highness Tuon.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]          starwars1.gif

My first post and I don't have my books with me, but if I remember correctly, Fain did not develop the ability to recognise darkfriends on sight until he had been in possession of the dagger from

SL for awhile.  In the Great Hunt, he had just acquired it, so I don't think he had the ability recognise Liandrin for what she is at that time.

Regardless, whenever Rand felt all creepy from being watched by unseen eyes, I assumed that it was the forsaken spying on him.

I like the idea of Liandrin being Tuan's handmaid!

I assumed it was Lanfear stalking up behind the screen of invisibility. She does it at another point in the book, when she overhears Rand saying that he doesn't want glory, and if he could marry anyone, it would be Egwene. Lanfear later claims- while testing, as Rand realizes, his protectiveness- that she "once thought he cared for her." The timing also fits with Lanfear setting up Egwene and Co in tDR, and why Lanfear was looking at her with approval. Same type- pale, dark hair, curvy, dark eyes- but Lanfear is more attractive. That's a nice ego boost for her in this "life" of LTT's.

Indeed, Lanfear does indeed seem a posibility--inspecially since Rand and Liandrin's experiences come right before the speaking of the Dark Prophecy. Indeed, Rand later on specifically relates a feeling of being watched at a time when Lanfear is sighted by Uno (in the strange time-shift village).

The time shift was done by Fain, so i assumed the eyes were too, but it makes sense if its Lanfear.

I assumed it was Lanfear stalking up behind the screen of invisibility. She does it at another point in the book, when she overhears Rand saying that he doesn't want glory, and if he could marry anyone, it would be Egwene. Lanfear later claims- while testing, as Rand realizes, his protectiveness- that she "once thought he cared for her." The timing also fits with Lanfear setting up Egwene and Co in tDR, and why Lanfear was looking at her with approval. Same type- pale, dark hair, curvy, dark eyes- but Lanfear is more attractive. That's a nice ego boost for her in this "life" of LTT's.

Your theory makes a lot more sense that what I thought  :) though I would never have thought of Lanfear hanging about in Fal Dara for too long however as she was intent on getting Lews Therin Telamon back then yeh it does make sense.

Another thing to think on in relation to Fain is by this time Mordeth is joining him. Maybe dark calling dark. Fain was one of the most dangerous darkfriends that Moiraine had ever come across. Then the 'sniffer' Huron? was saying to Rand about 'something worse' that they were following on the hunt. Then Fain being able to torture than kill a Fade shows how powerfull he is.

Archived