DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

This picture portrays Rand as Jesus

Some reason the url doesn't work. If you did the personality test and were told that you were most like Rand then you'll be able to see the picture on the right side of the screen.

It doesn't work because the page is dynamically generated.

J

Its the whole prophesized savior that makes the Rand/Jesus connection keep recurring. It helps that Rand was a shepherd also. You could make a comparison to Moses if you cared to, the whole leading the Aiel out of the Waste is very reminiscent of the Exodus.

Its the whole prophesized savior that makes the Rand/Jesus connection keep recurring. It helps that Rand was a shepherd also. You could make a comparison to Moses if you cared to' date=' the whole leading the Aiel out of the Waste is very reminiscent of the Exodus.[/quote']

Yes but unlike Moses, Jesus is the prophesied Messiah to return on judgement day for the fate of the world, not just christianity says this, Islam also says the return of Isa (Jesus) is the fullfilment of the last signs of armageddon,....... a bit like the dragon, the dark one, etc. :wink:

Guest Majsju
hmm' date=' I don't recall Jesus ever wielding a Trolloc catchpole...[/quote']

It's in the secret Gospel of Chuck Norris...

In the real world' date=' as in Randland, that is a shepherd's crook. The only thing one is supposed to catch with it is sheep. Hence, the sheep...[/quote']

Thank you for the correction, Lady Literal. :roll:

Guest Winespring Brother

Do they have a copy of the bible where Jesus is a sadistic killer then in your underpants?

The connection of Jesus and Rand are that they are both messiahs. It has nothing to do with pacifism. Jesus died for mankinds sins, just as Rand must die for mankinds sins. They were also both raised in low class establishments, not as kings, even though they are destined to save mankind. They are both the chosen ones of the Creator. Then you have symbolism, such as the Crown of Thorns is now the Crown of Swords, the spear in Jesus's side is now the wound in Rand's side, the nails through Jesus's hands to the cross are now Rand's heron mark burns.

Rand isn't Jesus, but there are a lot of similarities.

I don't think Jesus was ever a shepered or are we talking of Jesus in a metaphorical sense?

Then Rand being a real shepered has nothing to do with similarities since he is a shepered in the metaphorical sense just like Jesus. Although i do agree they are both similar in many aspects.

Also was Jesus a pacifist? because didn't he enter a temple and start thrasing it and over-turning tables which is very unpacifistic(is unpasifistic even a word?).

Do they have a copy of the bible where Jesus is a sadistic killer then in your underpants?

No' date=' but every copy I have does have Jesus beating the money changers out of the Temple with a rope after flipping their tables on them. It also features stories of Jesus humiliating His opponents by bring the sickly and crippled up in front of the people on the Sabbath and healing them.

The definition of pacifist is as follows:

pacifist

adj : opposed to war [syn: pacifist(a), pacifistic, dovish'] n : someone opposed to violence as a means of settling disputes [syn: pacificist, disarmer]

Generally, by that definition, a pacifist would not be someone who would beat on people with a rope, and antagonize his critics so he could openly humiliate them.

Too many people (obviously including yourself) that the "turn the other cheek" line to mean 'all the time'. There are times for that, and then there are times for fighting back. Jesus demonstrates a need for both - in EVERY Bible.

No' date=' but every copy I have does have Jesus beating the money changers out of the Temple with a rope after flipping their tables on them. It also features stories of Jesus humiliating His opponents by bring the sickly and crippled up in front of the people on the Sabbath and healing them.

The definition of pacifist is as follows:

pacifist

adj : opposed to war [syn: pacifist(a), pacifistic, dovish'] n : someone opposed to violence as a means of settling disputes [syn: pacificist, disarmer]

Generally, by that definition, a pacifist would not be someone who would beat on people with a rope, and antagonize his critics so he could openly humiliate them.

Too many people (obviously including yourself) that the "turn the other cheek" line to mean 'all the time'. There are times for that, and then there are times for fighting back. Jesus demonstrates a need for both - in EVERY Bible.

You guys do understand that there are several versions of the gospels, right? Each of those has a different perspective and adds/omits things based on their own bias.

I hate to say it, but I think Jesus was pretty much a pacifist. The worst he ever did was make a mess at the moneychangers and yell. I don't believe he beat them up...healing people in front of others, even if it is embarrasing, is hardly warlike.

Every time he got beaten down, he never fought back. He forbade his followers from attempting to help.

The beatitudes *are* meant to be taken literally, which is why many people like Nietzsche (one example) rail against christianity as a perversion of human values.

Jehovah on the other hand....

J

You guys do understand that there are several versions of the gospels' date=' right? Each of those has a different perspective and adds/omits things based on their own bias.

I hate to say it, but I think Jesus was pretty much a pacifist. The worst he ever did was make a mess at the moneychangers and yell. I don't believe he beat them up...healing people in front of others, even if it is embarrasing, is hardly warlike.

Every time he got beaten down, he never fought back. He forbade his followers from attempting to help.

The beatitudes *are* meant to be taken literally, which is why many people like Nietzsche (one example) rail against christianity as a perversion of human values.

J[/quote']

Jedi - while I respect your opinion, I also respectfully disagree, having spent many years studying the NT and OT as a ministerial student.

Before you believe the 'DaVinci Code' hype about the NT being editorialized to fit agendas, I'd suggest checking out the NT Bible Studies done by Dr. William Barclay. Especially the part 1 study of Matthew which includes the Beatitudes - the meanings change drastically when read in Greek rather than in English. I agree that each of the Gospels was written with a specific audience in mind (Jews, Romans, etc...), and with that descriptions and grammar changes were made - but no major story differences with exception to the book of John, which was written as much as 30 years after the other 3 Gospels, and was based on a different historical source than the other three.

I agree that Jesus advocates peace between one another being the goal, but He also reminds us that it is not always the only solution. Also, Jedi, Jesus didn't lie down until the time of the crucifiction - up until that point He fought authority every way He was supposed to fight. Unfortunately for Nietzsche, he didn't understand that fact.

Before you believe the 'DaVinci Code' hype about the NT being editorialized to fit agendas, I'd suggest checking out the NT Bible Studies done by Dr. William Barclay. Especially the part 1 study of Matthew which includes the Beatitudes - the meanings change drastically when read in Greek rather than in English. I agree that each of the Gospels was written with a specific audience in mind (Jews, Romans, etc...), and with that descriptions and grammar changes were made - but no major story differences with exception to the book of John, which was written as much as 30 years after the other 3 Gospels, and was based on a different historical source than the other three.

i have always undrstood that the bible is a very altered version of something that supposedly happened 2000 years ago in iraq.

the romans finally caught on and made it their own, with a few changes over the intervening centuries...depending on how much money they could extort from the populace at the time.

the da vinci code is a novel, pure and simple, i dont believe what it says any more than i believe i can channel or use the force, but i KNOW for a fact that the church admitted to making mary magdeline out to be a prostitute (i dont know about whether or not she was suppposed to be J's wife or not) but the point is, the pope took any power from mary in doing so and even now we think of her as a prostitute, when she was actually one of his foremost disciples.

now, i have no wish to offend anyone and i appologise profusly if i have, but the thing is, nobody takes the illiad word for word, nor the odesey (sp?), the time between the supposed events and the writing of them is comparable...and might i say that they have never been rewritten save to be translated, and always from the original text.

i believe in the ethics and morals that are in the bible, and i live by them, but they are the same ethics and morals that would coomonly be called human decency.

i have read the bible, twice, and used it a source for ancient history essays. what you believe is your choice, just dont accuse people of believing "that da vinci code hype" because thay dont agree with your opinion.

truly jesus was supposed to pacifistic because his father(god) is supposed to be all about love and peace yet when we see god he is all about war and death so in my opinion jesus got some bad seed from god willing to use a rope on people that he didnt like is a sign of violence, im suprised we didnt see more violence from jesus in the bible

jesus was never a shepherd..he was a carpenter!

the metaphorical shepard you are thinking of is just that...nothing to do with sheep.

jesus was not a pacifist, rand is not a pacifist, that, and their messiah comlexes are the only thing the really have in common.

sorry about the rant above, i got on a roll.

I think everyone is missunderstanding, or else blowing this out of preportion. Rand is a Jesus-like-figure, NOT Jesus. He's a messiah character, who has been chosen as the Creator's vessle, to battle the Dark One and save mankind from their sin.

This is like Paul Mua'Deb being a messiah in Dune, he too has to sacrific himself to place mankind on the road to enlightenment. This isn't quite Aslen in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I think comparassions could be made.

The point is not whether Rand and Jesus's personalities are alike, the point is their place in the saving of mankind. THAT'S the similarity. And then you have some symbolic metaphors (the wound, the heron marks, the crown of swords, etc).

RJ has not set out to rewrite the Bible here, he's just written a character that has certain characteristics of a Jesus-like figure.

I agree with you totally kadere. My only quibble is that the picture dosn't really portray Rand as Jesus because Jesus was never a shepered. The picture actually reminds me of St.Patrick but that has nothing to do with anything.

You guys do understand that there are several versions of the gospels' date=' right? Each of those has a different perspective and adds/omits things based on their own bias.

J[/quote']

Jedi - while I respect your opinion, I also respectfully disagree, having spent many years studying the NT and OT as a ministerial student.

I agree that Jesus advocates peace between one another being the goal, but He also reminds us that it is not always the only solution. Also, Jedi, Jesus didn't lie down until the time of the crucifiction - up until that point He fought authority every way He was supposed to fight. Unfortunately for Nietzsche, he didn't understand that fact.

Well, I'm surprised you think I bought into the Davinci code hype, but that's ok. My opinions are formed by years of Catholic school, so take from that what you will.

The truth is that several hundred years after Christ's death they had to decide which books they were going to include. They also had to decide whether or not Jesus was the son of God, and a host of other issues. So many things that people believe were written by the Hand of God, were decided by political infighting at the Nycean council.

Fighting authority is *not* mutually exclusive with pacifism. The beatitudes were meant to be a guide for life. They don't have asterisks. I agreed with the poster who claimed he was a pacifist. I never said he was a wimp.

Also, please don't assume you know the level of education or familiarity a person has because they disagree with you, or that whatever they know must have come from pop culture; it's a little demeaning.

J

Archived