DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Please recommend!!!

desavona

I'm on the prowl for another LOOOONNNNGGG AND excellent series (already read G.R.R.M, Feist, Goodkind, Reichert, Tad Williams, Wurts, and am in the midst of reading Mercedes Lackey) so if anyone knows of any good series I'd appreciate a heads up. Thanks.

Any recommendations other than long series are appreciated as well, 'cause sometimes you're just in the mood for a quickie!!! :wink:

You can always go with Azimov's Foundation series. That's like 7 or so books, and they're classics of Sci-fi.

Dune is also good, at least for the first 3 books.

Amber by Zelzney is terrific. That's ten books.

C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy... it's only 3 but they're classics.

Gene Wolfe's Long Sun and New Sun series (four books each) are suppose to be excellent, though I haven't read them myself.

ummmm.... that's all I can think of at the moment. But I'll get back to ya.

Thanks Kadere. I forgot about Dune, though I did enjoy it as far as Frank Herbert was writing it. Though I admit it got a little weird after the 1st three. Didn't care for his son's style much aferwards. I'll look into the others this summer though.

Guest Winespring Brother

Steven Erikson's Malazan book of the fallen is definitely a long series. In fact, epic describes it well. He is currently writing book 7 of a series of 10, and these are monster books often 1000 pages in length. Not what you would call light reading, but I love these books.

You could also try L.E Moddesitt's Saga of Recluce. It's 5 or 6 books of about 800 pages in length, and the stories are very enjoyable, although not on a par with Martin or Jordan.

not really sci-fi or fantasy but it is found in that secion.

Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, The Vampire Slayer Series is an excellent series. Each book is its own story, but it does have a back story you really should know or you'll get confused. The series is still in writing and she has no intentions of ending it unless readership falls off. This is a modern world with Vampires and Lycanthrops roaming around as legal citizens.

LKH also has Merideth Gentrie Series which is still in writing but is nearing an and soon, one or two more books. This series is about the fey world. It is also set in the modern world. The premise of the story is for Merideth to produce an heir to the throne. She is in competition with her cousin for the throne.

As a disclaimer these stories are not for children.

Mat

Arthur series, starting with Hawk of May. Scarlet Streamers, a somewhat rare type of book, out of print, though one might find it in the library, or used online. Rare 'cause it's a WWI story, about the Lafayette Escadrille. Sir Machinery, another good, o-o-p sort of sci-fi-fan. Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander. All those last three are young adult, but hey, that don't make 'em ungood at all. (I felt like mixing hick and Ingsoc there. Just re-read sections of 1984. Disturbing book, that.) :(

Books I don't recommend, Last five Dune, Mission Earth by Hubbard, Inheritance trilogy. All these are doubleplus ungood(more Ingsoc) in mine opinion. Long-winded, plotless, first two. Inheritance, author needs to hone writing skill.

Archived