DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Danelle is Mesaana

hurryupnwait

Mesaana was a teacher. During the War of the Shadow, she started schools to teach children and make them turn to the Shadow, later known as Mesaana's children. Thus, Brown fits well.

Well, not really. Mesaana's actions in teaching those children was like thumbing her nose at the people who told her that she wasn't good enough for research and that she would be better as a teacher. She has a real chip on her shoulder about teaching, and actively taking up the role of a genuine teacher doesn't really fit.

That being said, research and browns fit anyway.

• 2 months later...

Seems to me that Laras must be Mesaana.  Physical appearance and mannerisms mean notheing to the Forsaken.  In the glossary of TSR, Laras is described as "A woman of surprising knowledge and shocking past."  Her responses to Siuan's visit to the kitchens, her defense of them, and her aid for Min all help to hide her "cover", and keep the chaos going.  Thoughts?

Yes, that Laras was a beauty is in her past, but it is hardly shocking - and it is only Laras's word.  That doesn't address her "surprising knowledge" either.  I'd have to go back through and find exactly where, but it is pointed out more than once that Mesaana doesn't necessarily have to be an AS.  Of course, all of this could be a very clever red herring...RJ was very good at that.

Yes, that Laras was a beauty is in her past, but it is hardly shocking - and it is only Laras's word.  That doesn't address her "surprising knowledge" either.  I'd have to go back through and find exactly where, but it is pointed out more than once that Mesaana doesn't necessarily have to be an AS.  Of course, all of this could be a very clever red herring...RJ was very good at that.

The shocking part results from her liasons, and its not only her word, Moiraine describes her in New Spring.

Surprising knowledge could be addressed by her antics and adventures, or could refer to the fact that after working in the Tower of 20 years she's learnt a few things.

Guest Dreadlord

yes, semi posed as tuon, i had just read the passage when cadsuane broke the mask of mirrors on her and she flickered between semi/anath and tuon

UNQUOTE

Forgive me for nitpicking but Im sure it wasnt Cadsuane that broke the Mask. As Semi was entering the room Rand felt as though he was fading away for a moment, just as Perrin had earlier in the book (although both fet it at the same time, I imagine RJ did that to line up the timescales on different POVs). As Rand felt shadowy/misty, Semirhages Mask flickered-it wasnt Cadsuane that did it

Forgive me for nitpicking but Im sure it wasnt Cadsuane that broke the Mask. As Semi was entering the room Rand felt as though he was fading away for a moment, just as Perrin had earlier in the book (although both fet it at the same time, I imagine RJ did that to line up the timescales on different POVs). As Rand felt shadowy/misty, Semirhages Mask flickered-it wasnt Cadsuane that did it

It was, actually. Cadsuane herself states it. "'I can do something about it, once we're closer.' Her golden ournaments swayed as she toseed her cloak back as though unsheathing a sword"

And I'm not sure which book your reading because that incident occured outdoors, not in a room, and Rand experienced no sense of fading whatsoever. Now shadowyness, no mistyness. Cadsuane said she could do something about it, they approached, Semirhage flickered, and her Mask of Mirrors broke. Then Rand experienced shock and shouted Semirhage.

Archived