DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tower Guard sign up

silhouette

hello all :D

it is I, your faithful Commander!

as you may have noticed, we're currently looking for a new captain and lieutenant for one of the companies.

This is not a reminder of that ;)

I'd just like to know which of you are around, and if you ever got assigned to a company, and if you did, which one it was.

So please state your...

Character name:

Assigned: y/n

Company:

And because I'm all about good examples... *cough*

Character name: Brand Ryota

Assinged: n

Company: n.a.

Guest Arie Ronshor

Character name: Cairma Vishnu (Prior to 998 NE)

Assigned: Y - Under Vasya (along with Daemon, Aran, Rosh & a few others.. )

Company: n/a

Character name: Lyv Tylin

Assigned: yes

Company: under Ralleigh Taj - but he's no longer in use as Captain, so the new guy perhaps?

As for Ralleigh, I imagine anyone who knew him can regard him as a permanent addition to Borderlands training camp. I don't want to kill him off, but he's an NSW that is no longer part of the captain squad. :)

Well, Claire and I decided to have Nerome and Rossa bonded later in the timeline on DM, unlike our RP together stated, to make it easier for Nerome to train and grow better at not killing himself while holding a weapon, so here I am. :D

Character name: Nerome Seshir

Assigned: Nope

Company: n.a.

Guys Captains do not run companies.  Lieutenants do.  There is one captain per company at this moment but Captains run multiple companies.

So technically you are either under Talyn who is dead or Jasen who is still taking upon his company and Arette used that name in the post on the public board.

Bryon is Master at Arms but unbonded.

Mat

Yes but we don't want to start confusion now, because there is a structure ppl need to be aware of.  And technically there are 4 companies because we have two other NSW captains...But only two PC ones.  I want to make the structure clear and we will work on that after the PC stuff is taken care of (not more work for you just so you know just a diagram I'll work on after the Barracks are done.

Ali

Character name: Aran

Assigned: Yes

Company: Vasya Paranov

And incorrect, Matalina.  Each Captain is responsible for five hundred Tower Guard, they have four Lieutenants under them who take a hundred Tower Guard each and the Captain has their personal command of one hundred.

And seeing as Talyn is dead, I've been more than happy to let a living and breathing officer command Aran :)

James I never said anything about not having more companies... my point was we have 4 captains thus we have at least 4 companies.  I'm fully aware of the structure of the TGS :P

And it' ain't my fault no one replaced Talyn I told ppl that he was dead and they needed another...

Mat

Well, we've functioned well enough just using our Captains as the reference point because we haven't had any RP's large enough that they've required enough TG's to merit a Lieutenant's presence.  Do we really need to fill the position for the sake of it? :)

Character name: Ursana Tahn Sakhr

Assinged: Nope

Company: Um... he sees a lot of Sahra.... is that the sort of company you wanted to know about?  I mean come on.. your the big sister but do you have to be so public about your snooping... oh wait.. you meant... um.. oh.. yeah.  Um... no assigned company :P

People have been operating fine without needing me to tout a variety of large scale RP's.  To be honest, I think that this 'need' is an artificially created one and to be blunt, outright useless.  Its one thing to say:

"Hey, we're all part of this company, Aran and Rosheen have this idea for an RP that could use members of this company, its there for people to get involved in if they're interested."

Its another thing entirely to go:

"Because we are all part of the same company, clearly we must run a series of company RP's and I will organise them."

The first example is one of facilitation, the latter is a case of imposing.  I'm interested in facilitating company RP's, not imposing them on other players.

The real problems when it has come to developing the companies has not been an issue of Lieutenants but several simple factors.

1) Somewhere along the line, the assigning of new Tower Guards to companies ceased, leaving Tower Guard adrift and denying the two existing PC groups new members and thereby creating a third group of unassigned TG's.

2) Opportunities for Tower Guard to act in groups large enough to merit the full company (or at least a good section of one) are few, unless they are involved in some of their most fundamental duties like guarding sisters or some rare circumstance that merits a mission outside the Tower (and most likely accompanied by sisters anyway).

3) Smaller RP's are usually more fun because the more players and characters there are, the less spotlight you can throw on your own particular character.

As for the planning I have done, I've rp'd Aran extensively drawing characters that were originally quite the loners within the company into interacting with the greater group as a whole, such as Cairma and Lyssa, as well as organised Crimson which was fairly sizeable and involved four members of the company as well as several red sisters and at the same time used Vasya on various occasions to RP with members of his company.  Aran's final RP has also been rewritten as of a couple of nights ago and it not only offers an opportunity for anyone who is interested within Aran's company to participate but also a few members of the other company such as Lyv and will also involve several sisters and their bonded.  The only reason it hasn't been put forward yet is because it still requires some pieces to be overseen by SG first to ensure they're acceptable.

But, you raise a really good question I'd like to ask in turn.  Maybe I wasn't around at the time and just missed it, but what company RP's were ever planned with Talyn as Lieutenant?  Its entirely possible I've forgotten, but I don't recall any.

Filling Lieutenant positions does nothing to approach the issue of renewing the companies and getting RP's moving.  To say that they are 'needed' is simply ludicrous, as if TG's grouped in companies would be incapable of organising things for themselves if they wished to.  What we really 'need' is for the unassigned TG's to be assigned and for us to proceed from there.

Sorry, but I didn't like the implication of me being a lazy and not doing anything with the company.

That and making a very pertinent point, planning RP's and organising isn't tied to rank, its whoever has a good idea at the time.  In the past, very little was done with Lieutenants, if they'd been more actively involved then the role of the Captains in RP's wouldn't have grown to where it is now where its them that are directly referenced and not the Lieutenants.  My own Captain, Vasya Paranov, was only meant to be played once in a blue moon, yet because there is that vacancy he has to be pulled in more often.  Organising RP falls down to the people who are interested and want to make something of it, you don't need a position to do that, and filling roles simply for the sake of it is unecessary.

I wasnt' implying that you were lazy James.  I was merely pointing out that no RPs had been even thought of and It is not the captains job to do so.  So you claiming to be "leader" of said company was not something that was official.  LTs jobs are to plan RPs for people to participate in not mandate that they do.  That has been their job since their inception.

Mat

I noticed you haven't commented on an issue I raised.  Exactly how effective have the Lieutenants been in the past?  Because I don't see how they were any more effective in any way than any other member of a company.  In which case, what merits them to begin with?  Its like flogging a dead horse with a warm lettuce leaf as it achieves nothing and when other things need to be attended to, like the assigning of TG's without company's to a respective group, its an exercise in futility.

Its a completely baseless need that is being asserted for Lieutenants.  Especially in light of the poor results in the past that in no way stand out from what other members of a company were capable of and indeed accomplished within the same space of time in fomenting company RP's.

And you're missing the most basic point of why the Lieutenant is an unecessary position insofar it does not need to be filled with a player.  Every member of the company is free to, and indeed should, make RP's for the company as a whole, rather than just having one person who happens to have it deputised to them.  If players are interested in playing Company RP's, they'll organise them themselves.  If not, then you could have twenty lieutenants, they're not going to be interested.

In summary, the Lieutenants since inception have achieved little, were so unecessary that the lack of active Lieutenants for months on end has had minimal to non-existant impact and therefore I see no value in resurrecting a failed initiative.

Heading over to the other thread.