DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The characters you love to hate....

The Dragon Reborn

characters I love to hate... so many of them.. and it changes through the books, at one time or another I'm sure I've loved and hated about every character in the books... for a few examples... I really loved Perrin when he was in the Two Rivers, when they were holding off the army of trollocs was some of the best scenes in the books... and now he is possibly my least favorite character... egwene I didnt like her through most of the first 10 books... but she is becoming much cooler in book 11... Nynaeve she just seems to get better since she got married, as she discovers more truths about herself she becomes a much more interesting character... and rand... sometimes I hate him, sometimes he is the best... but I always love to read his PoVs...

but my favorite characters of the series would be... Mat, LTT, Berelain, Ingtar, Birgette, Moiraine, Logain, Taim, Galad, Lan, and Thom... probably forgetting a few since I really do like pretty much all the characters, even when they annoy me to no end

To answer your question I have read several series, including this one and A Song of Ice and Fire where this happens.( The next book in Ice and Fire is all about my least favorite characters except for one or two chapters of my favorite character *tear* :'( I <3 Arya) Sorry for getting side tracked.

What I do is I just muscle my way through, knowing that a Mat chapter has to be coming some time soon. Afterwards I just reread the series through Mat's and, those that have cool chapters in the book, eyes, knowing already what has happened to every one else.

Now for my rant on the characters I hate and why I have troubles with other characters.

-First and formost Faile. The second she came on, she was already annoying. Then she had to come along and ruin a high potential character (Perrin) and be a little obnociouse lady aswell. I hate Fail most of all.

-Perrin. He wouldn't be here, except for Faile, who just completely ruined him and changed his character. Did I mention I hate Faile?

-Egwene, my problem with her is, she is, I believe, a complete idiot that thinks she is better than everyone else, and in truth is a sad little girl stumbling around in her mother's heels. It doesn't work.

-Elaine now she is a piece of work. She never looks at all at other's points of view. (acctually I find this to happen in most of WOT's female characters. This does annoy me)She also blames all her own mistakes and problems on others. To finish this she also bosses people around a bit too much for my taste.

-Min, is alright I just find her too obsesive over Rand

-Aviendah can't tell you why, but she, in general, just annoys me

-Nyneave, yeah she gets annoying, now especially that she is married, but hey I can deal with her pretty well.

-Rand, he some times annoyes me but in general I can see his point of view and forgive him

-Gawne, and his obbsession to kill Rand also annoys me to no end. Oh yeah I also dislike his obbsession with Egwene. You know what, I just hate his obsessions in general.

I do believe that sums it up. If I think of any thing else I will post it. Sorry for rambling *blushes*.

Faile - serves no purpose what so ever

Perrin - use to like him till the whole Faile kidnapped thing and he was willing to just get everyone killed to get her back

Aviendha - liked her when she was with Rand but now she has to be the biggest sissy of an Aiel ever after being around Nyneave and Elayne

Elayne - She is an idiot, how many times has she been captured and nearly killed and had to be rescued?  But yet she never seems to learn.

Biggest problem I have is the whole man vs woman thing that seems to just keep appearing that Elayne Perin, Rand, Egwene and Nyneave seem to bring up alot.  Men have no sense, gossip, mettle, lazy, etc.... Women being noisy, always making a fuss, being bossy etc.... Starts to get really old.

Gawyn and his whole you killed my mom I want you dead thing.  When Egwene could of easily just of told him she was there when Rand gotten the news and maybe of let him know about a forsaken being there.  Hmmm come to think of it guess I should hate Egwene instead.

Mat has to be the best character, Rand is good when there is actually chapters on him (his whole I must get tougher and harder can get annoying sometimes).  Thom is cool, liked Moraine and wished Lanfear played a bigger part, hated it when she died.

When reading some of the posts here, I wonder if people read the books with the greater picture in mind, or just for the sake of as much action per chapter as possible.

For example,

Faile serves no purpose?

While I might agree that the whole rescuing plot was a bit too stretched out, look at what it lead to. The Shaido are destroyed as a military force, and running for their lives back to the waste.

Perrin has made a connection to the Seanchan, which means that when Rand and Tuon meet, all three TR boys will have direct personal ties to Seanchan.

Perrins deal with Seanchan meant that a huge part of their forkroot stock was used.

Perrin is now in a place where he can meet Galad and his whitecloaks, which hopefully will put an end to Byars hatred, and give Galad the opportunity to hook up with his mother. And having word about Morgase being alive spread should have a positive effect on quite a few places, especially Gawyns twisted head.

Perrins assault on the Shaido meant calling in the TR people, which has brought Tam back on the board. That just might prove to be quite important to rand.

And on...

Faile might be an annoying brat sometimes, but her being captured was one of the most important events during the last couple of books.

I completely agree, Majsju. And although everyone is free to have their own opinions about the characters, and the various major characters in the WoT series, I just find it odd that fans can indeed remain devoted fans to the series even though they strongly dislike more than a couple of the main characters and heroes in the novels. I know that as far as I am concerned, that if I had such strong dislike or negative feelings towards various protagonists in a book series, that I would not like or enjoy the series.

I guess the fact that many, many, many fans does have such negative feelings about some of the heroes, but still enjoy the WoT series just shows how good and compelling a writer that RJ really is.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one for you. Eladia...oh even hearing the name makes me want to hit a wall or something.  I don't really have to explain this one do I? What an egomanical jackass! I hope her death is slow and painfull...barring that I hope she lives out her life in misery and humiliation and it will be nothing less than she deserves!

Archived