DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Verin and her 70 year project

DLeeF

During my last read through as well I noticed a similarity that might have something to do with the whole verin thing as well. I noticed that Cadsuane said it'd been 71 years (I believe that was the exact number she gave though maybe it was just 70ish) since she'd last encountered a problem she couldn't solve and I find it convenient that Verin has also been working on something for the last 70 years. Coincidence? I think not...(I'm not sure if anyone already addressed that. i got through about 8 pages then just skipped to the end :-\)

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She does not give them to Egwene either because she is not sure that Egwene would react appropriately (she is stubborn and prideful), or, alternatively, the notes also indicated the split and Egwene's rise to power.  Bad idea to inform someone of their future in such a way (recall the dreamwalkers speech in tSR to Moiraine).

Mmm. I wonder if perhaps the answer is not in why she didn't give them to her, but why she did. Because i agree if either were the case i doubt she would have even considered giving them to Egwene.

I think they are not as specific as that, but rather speak to the Aes Sedai as a whole, and the potential threat their blind arrogance could have. She considers giving them to Egwene because, like Moiraine, she sees the girl will play a key roll, but stops because Egwene is enamoured with the idea of Aes Sedai, and who can tell what her reaction to such knowledge would be.

One wonders how much Verin knew and if she intentionally chose to force the embassy into a bad deal simply to delay Egwene's maneuvering from having any tangible effect.

At this stage it wasn't 'Egwene's maneuvering', but yes its commonly accepted that she manipulated the embassy in order to stop them from manipulating or controlling Rand.

Well they are secret so it has been here. It would be typically for an AS to form such a group no? If they take an Oath something like "to do all things necessary to see the light victorious in TG or so". It would raise my respect for AS if there is a group that is'nt busy with plotting and sceaming against each other. Or is that just wishfull thinking 

The problem with the "Purple Ajah" as its been called is that Verin is utterly self-contained. She shows time and again how little need she has for others--she's constructed her whole personality to keep people from knowing her. When Cadsuane reveals that her intentions are in match with Verin's, Verin does not kill her--she also does not bring her into her game. She even leaves her warder out of the loop.

Verin is the only reason to suggest a possible secret ajah, and Verin's nature precludes the idea of her working with others.

During my last read through as well I noticed a similarity that might have something to do with the whole verin thing as well. I noticed that Cadsuane said it'd been 71 years (I believe that was the exact number she gave though maybe it was just 70ish) since she'd last encountered a problem she couldn't solve and I find it convenient that Verin has also been working on something for the last 70 years. Coincidence? I think not...(I'm not sure if anyone already addressed that. i got through about 8 pages then just skipped to the end )

People have raised it before, yet we have Verin's direct PoV on Cadsuane. She considers poisoning Cadsuane, yet stops upon learning her intentions, which allign with Verin's. Had there been any historical crossover it would have come up.

Of course it may be Cadsuane's failure that led to Verin's mission through indirect means, or some such. It'd probably fit with RJ's writing style. But there is no immediate connection between the two.

I wonder if Verin might have known that Moiraine was going to disappear; if so, she knew that Rand had to be prepared to act independently.  She was PO'd, though, when Rand had disappeared after she caught up to Ingtar.

Cadsuane was pursuing Rand in Far Madding.  She was far more dangerous to him there than she was anywhere else in the world; if she was planning to take control of him, that was the place to do it, where he couldn't channel, was cut off from all his power bases, and she had a hold on the head of government.  Verin knew enough about the society of Far Madding to know that Cadsuane could definitely take advantage of it.

When Cadsuane confessed that she didn't really care what Rand did, so long as he made it to Tarmon Gai'don and she could help him to become human again (laugh and cry), then Verin knew that she wasn't trying to put a metaphorical leash on him, and Verin didn't need to kill her.  And actually, having Cads around would be an advantage, because no other Aes Sedai could take charge with Cads there.  Which freed Verin to leave, as she probably knew she would later have to.

Its just more support for the idea that Verin is actively trying to keep Rand free from Aes Sedai control.

Could there be another secret Ajah that Verin is part of that is only dedicated to seeing that the Last Battle will be won for the light?
No. She might do it by herself, but no secret Ajahs.
If she took another Oath for this reason could that make it possible for her to lie?
No. We have seen what happens when two Oaths contradict. She would have to remove the Oath against untruth, and she hasn't.
Are these confirmed facts i.e. by RJ or is this your opinion?
It's all in the books. She acts alone, with no hint of any assistance, we have seen conflicting Oaths, and we have seen her worm her way around the First Oath, which she wouldn't need to do if she wasn't bound by it.

• 8 months later...

Archived