DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[MOVIE] Gears of War update (as well as Escape from NY)

Emperor

IESB.Net reports that "Underworld" and "Live Free or Die Hard" helmer Len Wiseman is currently in talks to develop and direct both "Gears of War" and "Escape from New York" for New Line Cinema.

Written by Stuart Beattie and slated for a 2009 release, "Gears of War" is an adaptation of last year's hit XBox 360 video game about soldiers on an alien planet fighting hordes of creatures.

Also slated for 2009 is the Ken Nolan-penned remake of John Carpenter/Kurt Russell classic "Escape from New York" with Gerard Butler stepping behind the eye patch of Snake Plissken.

Movies based on games...With Super Mario, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat in mind, maybe not such a great idea. Although I am eagerly awaiting Warcraft ;D

Gears of War does not really excite me though. A concept that has been done a gazillion times without having to use a game to draw ideas from.

As for Escape, If it ain't broken, don't fix it!!! Only reason to make a remake is if you have a great idea that came out poorly performed the first time, which means remakes sucks 99 times out of 100. And the original Escape was pretty darn far from sucky.

Yea... but an 'escape from' movie with out kurt russle is like a terminator movie with out arnold, or an evil dead movie with out that guy who plays ash. :P

arent they making a T-4 without arnold? i thought i saw somthing about it on here a few months ago. i agree with you on both couts though

Yeah, "Escape", while classic, is, well... old now.  I love Gears on the 360--the high definition rendering is just AWESOME, and it isn't a fist-person shooter so I'm excited about this movie, despite myself.  I know, I know, but sometimes I just can't help but embrace my stereotypical guy behaviors. 

Banger

• 1 year later...

Archived