DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Live Long and Prosper

Emperor

IGN was told earlier this week that Paramount is trying to woo none other than Oscar winner Russell Crowe to play the film's villain. Our source seriously doubted that Paramount and Abrams could land the busy star, who has Body of Lies and Nottingham on his schedule in the coming months. Still, the search for a strong actor and commanding presence such as Crowe suggests that the story's villain could very well be, like Kirk, a leader of men -- a role that Crowe is utterly believable in. Whether the villain is human, Klingon, Romulan, Vulcan or some other alien species remains uncertain.

What kind of villian would you like to see in the movie?  Played by who?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still want to see some of the Romulan War that created the neutral zone. 

How did Enterprise end?  They claim Pike was the first captian of Enterprise but the show touted Archer as the first.  Did the time vortex wipe that part of history out?  I stopped watching during the last season.

Enterprise ended with Archer being the driving force in creating the Federation. As I remember it, not a word about Pike, but perhaps they'll sneak in a lame explanation in the new movie.

As for the Romulan War, I think that needs at least one movie completely dedicated to it, so I'd rather not see it brought up in this movie. Well, maybe if this movie focus on events that leads up to the ar, so they have the option of making a movie or mini series starting immidiatly with the war.

• 1 month later...
Eric Bana will play villain Nero in Paramount Pictures' Star Trek, to be directed by J.J. Abrams (Mission: Impossible III, "Lost," "Alias"), reports Variety.

Anton Yelchin, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and Leonard Nimoy have already boarded the USS Enterprise. Casting is under way in New York and London, and Abrams had been expected to pursue bigger-name actors for the roles of the villain and the Federation captain, the latter of which remains unfilled.

The studio still needs to cast several other major parts before the November start date, including a young James T. Kirk and Scotty.

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci wrote the screenplay and will executive produce along with Bryan Burk and Damon Lindelof.

Another article....

Young spunk Chris Pine ("Princess Diaries 2," "Smokin' Aces," "Just My Luck") is also in discussions to star as Captain Kirk, joining the already cast Zachary Quinto ("Heroes") as a young Spock, Anton Yelchin as Chekov, Zoe Saldana as Uhura and Leonard Nimoy returning to play the older Spock.

It is unknown whether Bana would play a human or a member of an alien race, though rumors have a group of time-travelling Romulans serving as the main villains of the feature.

So it looks like this....

Kirk?

ChrisPine_150.jpg

Spock

heroes-quinto109.jpg

Chekov

bio_anton.jpg

Uhuru

zsaldana02062.jpg

The bad guy's name is Nero and since, for some outrageous reason, Romulan culture is based on ancient Rome I suspect he'll be a Romulan.

An early plot synopsis involved a Romulan or Romulans going back in time to kill Kirk or his father, no kidding - Trek Terminator.  The star and hero of the film would actually be Spock who goes back, fixes the time-line and is charged with protecting in.  The film would feature scenes with an aged Spock (hence the casting of Leonard Nimoy) post-Trek years, scenes in the past, pre-Kirk, and scenes set in the early days of The Enterprise, hence their casting of all the original characters.

• Community Administrator

The bad guy's name is Nero and since, for some outrageous reason, Romulan culture is based on ancient Rome I suspect he'll be a Romulan.

An early plot synopsis involved a Romulan or Romulans going back in time to kill Kirk or his father, no kidding - Trek Terminator.  The star and hero of the film would actually be Spock who goes back, fixes the time-line and is charged with protecting in.  The film would feature scenes with an aged Spock (hence the casting of Leonard Nimoy) post-Trek years, scenes in the past, pre-Kirk, and scenes set in the early days of The Enterprise, hence their casting of all the original characters.

And this bags the question, what ever happend to the Federation Temporal space police?!

I think I got this off AintitCoolNews or MovieHole.  It's a condensed version of a longer article.

Okay... you know the scene in BACK TO THE FUTURE 2? Where Doc Brown explains alternate timelines? Well, this is sort of... ummm... TREK TO THE FUTURE, I guess you would call it...

Picture an incident that throws a group of Romulans back in time. Picture that group of Romulans figuring out where they are in the timeline, then deciding to take advantage of the accident to kill someone’s father, to erase them from the timeline before they exist, thereby changing all of the TREK universe as a result. Who would you erase? Whose erasure would leave the biggest hole in the TREK universe is the question you should be asking.

Who else, of course, but James T. Kirk?

If Spock were in a position to change that incident back, and then in a position to guard that timeline and make sure things happen the way they’re supposed to, it creates...

... well, what does it create? Because evidently the plan is to use this second timeline as a way of rebooting without erasing or ignoring canon. These new voyages of the ENTERPRISE, they’re taking place in whatever timeline starts with this story. Maybe this timeline features dramatic differences. Like... say... if Vulcan were to be blown up. If the Vulcans in the series were suddenly the last of their kind, alone in the universe, it would change who they are and maybe even redefine their strict rejection of emotion in favor of logic.

This news is several weeks old but I've not hear anything to the contrary yet.  It also explains a couple of things like

A)why Spock has been cast twice (Nimoy and the younger guy)

B)how the story can deal with Kirk's academy days yet also involve younger manifestations of all the original crew most of whom Kirk did not meet until he took over the captains chair of the Enterprise

C)how, as Abrams puts it, the film can successfully reboot the franchise without doing away with solid Trek canon.

dose anyone else think that there has been enuph timetravle trek movies?  i mean the basic storyline that you just outlined there is relly no diferent form first contact.  YAWN

Nope, cause time travel never gets old!

Doesn't the plot to change the timeline go against some of the other time-line stories.  In all the other changing the past changed the future resulting in the erasure of the other timeline.  They're basically making a movie that says the last episode of Enterprise, TOS, Next Gen, DS9, and Voyager never happened.  (Though that might not be all bad)

Well I think there would be rejoicing if the last episode of Enterprise was lost forever.. not sure about the others though.

Back to the Federation Temporal Police... I'm guessing they wouldn't intervene because history recorded Spock going back to fix it. For them, it is already fixed, and if it hadn't been, they would not exist. They just go after people from their own timeline and after, otherwise THEY would be changing the space/time continuum.

On a side note... I just can't help thinking of Weird Al's White and Nerdy song, especially with my Klingon-Engish Dictionary behind me...

Well I think there would be rejoicing if the last episode of Enterprise was lost forever.. not sure about the others though.

Back to the Federation Temporal Police... I'm guessing they wouldn't intervene because history recorded Spock going back to fix it. For them, it is already fixed, and if it hadn't been, they would not exist. They just go after people from their own timeline and after, otherwise THEY would be changing the space/time continuum.

On a side note... I just can't help thinking of Weird Al's White and Nerdy song, especially with my Klingon-Engish Dictionary behind me...

Well the story IS about romulans from the future going to the past killing Kirk, so the temporal police Could easilly have juristiction, Unless they act fast enough to destroy the federation before it existed... (thusly eliminateing the temporal police before they can act.)

As a life long Trek fan going all the way back to the first film and every subsequent series (yet not considering myself a hard core Trekkie - I mean, I own no starfleet uniforms and don't speak Klingon) - this new film really bothers me.  To begin with, the plot is a rehash of First Contact and time travel has always been Trek's "run home to mama" solution for lack of original storylines.  Every series had numerous time travel episodes from really good to awful and two of the films featured time travel as a prominent plot device.

I also can't help but feel this is a true reboot, that Abrams will completely overhaul the Trek universe for something a lot more dark and a lot less shiny, an overhaul that I suspect will spawn not only more films but another series as well.

Some casting news out on SciFiNews this morning:

Cho, Pegg Beam Up To Trek

Forget James McAvoy or Paul McGillion: Shaun of the Dead's Simon Pegg will play Scotty in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek movie, Variety reported.

John Cho (Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle), meanwhile, assumes the role of helmsman Sulu, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

English actor Pegg, who had a brief but memorable role in Abrams' Mission: Impossible III, takes over the role of the U.S.S. Enterprise's chief engineer, Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, a role originally played by James Doohan in the TV series and subsequent films. (Chronicles of Narnia's McAvoy and Stargate Atlantis' McGillion had both been rumored to be up for the role.)

Cho, meanwhile, will take on the role of Hikaru Sulu from George Takei. Sulu was known for his love of fencing and was always seen on deck piloting the ship next to Chekov.

Pegg and Cho join a cast that already includes Eric Bana, Anton Yelchin, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and Leonard Nimoy.

Written by Transformers scripters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, the new Star Trek chronicles the early days of James T. Kirk and his crew. Chris Pine has reportedly been offered the role of Kirk.

Paramount has set a November start date for the film, which will hit theaters on Christmas Day 2008.

Pegg was last seen in Hot Fuzz, directed by his Shaun partner Edgar Wright.

That prety much locks in the original crew with the exception of Kirk (has McCoy been cast?) and some of the rumored appearances of secondary characters like Nurse Chappel. 

Considering the horrible script to Transformers.  Yeah I think that's cause for concern.  Don't get me wrong I thought Transformers was awesome.  But that because of the action and the giant robots and not because of the script (or all the other crappy changes they made to the characters)

i have a briliant solution.... they do the whole movie using the new actors and the corny bad writen script and then just put little paper cutout heads of the original cast over the real actors kinda like those jibjab cartoon, in fact they could get jib jab to shoot the movie even. that way it would at least be kinda funny, even if it is a terible movie.

Archived