DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Live Long and Prosper

Emperor

E! Online is reporting that "Heroes" star Zachary Quinto (he plays Sylar) is close to being confirmed for the role of Spock in the J.J. Abrams-directed Star Trek:

Zachary Quinto's chances of being Spock in the upcoming Star Trek film are looking extremely good. I hear the deal is about to close. Best. Casting. Ever.

Update: Jen here. Following up on K.G.'s brilliant scoop, I checked with a source who confirms that the Zachary Quinto-as-Spock contract is with the business affairs team at Paramount. Business affairs is generally considered the last stop on the deal-negotiation train. The deal only awaits sign-off from outside counsel. Squee.

Leonard Nimoy originated the role in the 1966 series. Star Trek hits theaters Christmas Day 2008.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what the heck are they thinking making a new "old generation" movie.  dont get me wrong, i loved the originals better then any of the others, its just that without the original cast, theres no way it will be anywhere near as good. if they want to do a new movie, they should either do one based on voyeger, enterprise, or ds9, or maby even better yet would be to come up with an original idea, maby do a movie from a klingon or romulan POV.  i predict that this movie will be a major flop.

Maj!!!  I have been thinking exactly the same thing. 

Last time I had a thought about what ST should do, it was about how Voyager should find the Borg home.... and that happened!

Nimoy will also cameo in the movie as Spock (probably a flash forward near the end if I had to guess).

Any Trek is better than no Trek (well, almost). At least the actors are experienced, and if it has a good story line, I can forgive them some small trespasses. But I agree with ironcross. I would like to see new characters from the Trek Universe.

If anyone has been reading the Trek fiction of the last few years, perhaps you've run across the New Frontier/Excaliber Series by Peter David? I think the character of Captain Mackenzie Calhoun is begging for a movie. And he has a very diverse and interesting crew of 'misfits'. One is part Romulan, and she could very easily serve as the means to a really good Romulan movie.

One reason Hollywood keeps using the old characters may be because they feel more financially secure with them, proven moneymakers, etc.. But I think they don't really understand the depth of the Star Trek fanbase. There are some seriously good characters in Star Trek fiction, any of which could be used as the basis of a stomping good movie.   

How about we rank our favorite Star Trek movies while we talk about this topic...

1. Wrath of Khan

2. The Voyage Home

3. First Contact

4. Star Trek 1

5. Nemesis

6. Search for Spock

7. Undiscovered Country

8. Generations

9. Insurrection

10. The Final Fontier

NOOOooooo! I have to choose between Ricardo Montalban's Moby Dick (and chest) and Christopher Plummer's exquisite and charismatic Klingon complete with Shakespeare! You are too cruel!

*weeps*

*can't decide and goes into an unending loop*

O heck. OK then, since I must choose.

Wrath of Khan

Undiscovered Country

Insurrection

First Contact

The Search for Spock

Voyage Home

The Final Frontier

Nemesis

Generations

Star Trek TMP

1. ST IV: The Voyage Home

2. ST VIII: First Contact

3. ST VI: The Undiscovered Country

4. ST II: The Wrath of Kahn

5. ST IX: Insurrection

6. ST III: The Search for Spock

7. ST X: Nemesis

8. ST VII: Generations

9. ST V: The Final Frontier

10. ST: The Motion Picture aka "Long boring space shots: The Movie"

I LOVE all but the last 2. The others are all good and shouldn't be ranked! Though I'd love to see a VOY or DS9 movie.

ST VIII: First Contact

ST IV: The Voyage Home

ST II: The Wrath of Kahn

ST VI: The Undiscovered Country

ST III: The Search for Spock

ST: The Motion Picture

ST IX: Insurrection

ST X: Nemesis

ST V: The Final Frontier

ST VII: Generations

Oddly enough, TV series wise, I much prefer TNG.

i would have to say voyage home, probly best star trek movie ever made,

VI would be next,

III would be third

i also liked nemisis but other then the first three on my list i dont relly rank them.

dose anyone els stay up to listen to the star trek interviews on after midnight?  ive caught a cuple that were relly interesting, including last week they had george taki on.

IGN Movies says that according to a trusted source, director J.J. Abrams would like to have an A-list star cameo in his forthcoming big-screen reboot of "Star Trek."

The source claims that Abrams is wooing his "Mission: Impossible III" star Tom Cruise to cameo as Captain Christopher Pike. Cruise's last big-screen cameo was in "Austin Powers in Goldmember."

Pike was James T. Kirk's predecessor as captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise and Mr. Spock's first commanding officer. Jeffrey Hunter portraryed him in the unaired TV pilot, "The Cage."

I can't believe people are picking whales over Khan!  :o

There will never be any doubt which Star Trek movie is the best:

1. The Wrath of Khan

My wife had never seen a ST movie until I made her watch WoK a couple years ago, dragging her kicking and screaming in front of the TV. By the end, when Spock's proton torpedo coffin was shot into space, I looked and saw her balling her eyes out. She's a convert.

As for the rest, it gets a bit harder:

2. The Undiscovered Country

3. First Contact

4. The Voyage Home

Those three are pretty darn equal in my book. I find it possible to rewatch any of them and still get those ST goosebumps at the end.

5. Nemesis

6. The Search for Spock

7. Insurrection

8. The Motion Picture

9. Generations

10. The Final Frontier

In my book, these are all equally bad. Only seen them all once...will only ever see them once. Nemesis is the only "even" movie in this bunch, and I would definitely put it at the top of this list, as the best of them. Out of TNG movies, only First Contact was good enough to rank in the "rewatchable" category.

I'm still a trekkie, though, so the thought of me not seeing this new movie in the theater is inconceivable.

The cast for Star Trek X! is becoming firmer with each passing day. Today's news is that actor Anton Yelchin (Alpha Dog) is in final negotiations to play Pavel Chekov, the Russian-born navigator on the Enterprise. Yelchin will be starring in the high-school drama Charlie Bartlett later this summer, as well, so people will be able to get a good look at him before he gets to the Trek universe.

Now, Spock and Chekov are cast, and Abrams is casting a wide net to cast Bones, Kirk, Uhura, Sulu, Scotty, and other key roles. Those announcements are expected over the course of the next couple of months. The film will begin shooting soon, and is expected to be released on Christmas Day, 2008.

633221728222421875.jpg

Khan indeed wipes the floor with the rest of the movies.

1. Wrath of Khan

2. First Contact

3. The Undiscovered Country

4. Generations

5. The Final Frontier

6. The Voyage Home

7. The Motion Picture

8. The Search for Spock

9. Nemesis

10. Insurrection

Archived