DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Harry Potter (...everyone dies) *SPOILERS*

loki redfern

It was necessary for Harry to lose both his broom and his bird early in the story.  Carrying either item around would have made a point in the book where the reader loses the suspension of disbelief.  ( the dragon escape for the broom and being out of contact (ie the most boring camping trip ever)for the bird).

The Albus/Alberfore connection is hinted at in 6 when Albus says something along the lines of " I know the innkeeper at the hogshead" as he and Harry are walking to get the locket.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its in book 5 too that he said he maintained communication with the Hogs head owner, when Harry gets caught setting up DA in there.

Cads, apparently I do, but ces't la vie.  I hope you still like me despite those shortcomings. :-[  ;)  I wonder, just idly, how comfortable it would be to be riding a broom while 9 months pregnant.  I bet the bludgers would be a nightmare.  ;D

It was necessary for Harry to lose both his broom and his bird early in the story.  Carrying either item around would have made a point in the book where the reader loses the suspension of disbelief.  ( the dragon escape for the broom and being out of contact (ie the most boring camping trip ever)for the bird).

You've hit the nail on the head. A broomstick and an owl are sort of luxury items, and Harry is supposed to be hiding out to save his life and to try and save the world. It's just not believable to have to do that when you've got a bunch of toys around, unless the story has been set up the way the Bond stories are. Harry =/= James Bond.

I wonder, just idly, how comfortable it would be to be riding a broom while 9 months pregnant.  I bet the bludgers would be a nightmare.   ;D

I wonder how comfortable it would be to ride a broom at all! I mean, it's basically a skinny piece of stick supporting all your weight, in a delicate location!

Ok, so I'm rereading the book again already, and I just got to when the Battle of Hogwarts is just starting.  Unfortunately one of my questions from earlier still remains: How did Collin Creevy come to be at Hogwarts to be killed in the final battle?

The previous answer was that he was hiding out with Ginny and other Muggle-borns in the Room of Requirement. However Ginny was not hiding there, she was at Muriel's under the protection of the Fidelious (sp?) Charm and did not arrive in the Room of Requirement until after Neville puts out the call to the DA. None of those that answered the call ever went down to the Great Hall with the other students. The only students there at that time were the ones brought in from the dormitories.

When Harry, Ron, and Hermione first arrive in the Room of Requirement from the Hog's Head a description of the Room's new look is given, including all those hanging around inside who'd been staying there. Collin is not mentioned in that group at all.  As a matter of fact, it's not until McGonnagal tells him that he can't stay to fight, which happens in the Great Hall, that we first see he's around. This implies to me that he came down to the Great Hall from the dorms.

So given that, how did Collin come to get there, and apparently be living freely amongst the rest of the students? Collin was a Muggle-born, and so therefore under teh new laws that were enacted when the Ministry fell, not able to attend school at Hogwarts. He shouldn't have been there.

I think the he WAS in the RoR... just because he wasn't meantioned doesn't mean that he wasn't there, if i recall, there were other muggle borns at the school that the ministry hadn't 'gotten around' too and they went into the Room also...

The story is about Harry after all, Colin is in fact an afterthought, a mild distraction from the story.  He isn't even a major supporting Character, so to answer your question bcxanth, she did just "throw his death in" for a combination of believability, and for shock value.  Death is supposed to be a shock, at least premature death. 

I guess my problem is that, I'm ok with throwing in a death like that for shock value.  You know, trying to do everything she can to portray the horrors of war in that one battle. However I just wish she'd used a character that didn't have a reason to not even be there.  Like killing off one fo the Patil twins or something.

She already had killed off a twin, no need to do another... besides, you're going way to far into it. Colin admired Harry a lot, so he would have found ANY way to be there to help in whatever way he could. Remember they all thought that harry was going to come and help them fight. You're suppose to just accept that Colin was somehow able to be there... supposed to or not.

shock value....i think that was previously achieved with dumbledore's death scene. i was never so shocked at anything as i was when snape killed dumbledore. i was very gratified that that was explained. i wanted so much for snape to be redeemed....as it turns out, he had nothing to be redeemed for.

Archived