A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

We have a City! Merrilor

Arie

• RP - PLAYER
7 hours ago, Arie said:

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Pact_of_the_Griffin

actually, in this case I was wrong…..

Oh thank the Light, lol.

Though my suggestion remains stupid as it was not a political counterweight to Andor, so being a natural traditional/new divide completely makes no sense. 

On 1/31/2024 at 3:48 AM, Arie said:

Write up a faction with a -placeholder- name for a faction, or an oppositional plot that you think would be fun to play or play against. 🙂 Or a base summary of some kind that has flexibility.

I still like the idea that maybe Shai'tan threw out a 'gift' of the True Power as a last stand before being sealed away. 

Perhaps it only touched a percentage of babies in utero; perhaps it was stored in limited extents within various random objects/places around the world, and transferred to whoever touched that object/travelled to that place next. Perhaps there is also a big well of it somewhere that when found, people will seek out.

Perhaps it is always recognisable for what it is, or maybe something happens that means 25 years (or shortly after) is the starting point for the new 'taint' to start taking effect en mass...

Plenty of opportunity there for fun play and development and various plots that would be appropriate for many subgroups - traditional channelers vs 'new ones',  people trying to develop a 'cleanse'/be 'cured'... people going mad and causing havoc, Wolfkin scenting them out, the non-channeling military/watch group needing special ter'angreal to be 'safe'...

Edited by Cass

I think my biggest hesitation in saying 'yes' to new magic is we aren't sure how those with the 'old' magic will work together. 

Not to mention Talents. XD I'd rather the limitations on talents be lessened from what it was as we all understand those much better. 

But that's not a no..... soooo....... I would need more understanding of the intention and use of the True Power in the world before I thumbs up it.

I realize... 25 years... it took 100 to build the white tower, another-ish to build tar valon. we may want to realistically trim back some of what we were doing to a more realistic amount.

Also, feedback on what the Leadership structure IC for Merrilor looks like. i can make that decision, but i'd like ideas first. Between @Matalina request for a non-centric channeler city, but also shoving a combo of wt/bt... I also recognize that I may have to adjust my numbers a little to make it more realistic as well..

Added a council concept to Merrilor. Yes I tossed Maegan in there. no, I'm not forcing the idea. if someone else has one that wants to challenge it, I'm all ears. Figure if we want the ball rolling it's good to have a few familiar old faces with the new. Mae is... unique in her connections though it was unintended at the time.

The school/raising/etc is next on my list. Millitary is a close second depending which inspires me more.

General city location? 😄 

note to self: maps are hard in smaller details....... Pretty sure I need better assets to make it more accurate-ish.

merrilor.png

Though at some point I'll try to figure out how to make it look more like this: ish....

Spoiler

26f2b53f917db05702bfd9e7e3bb10a8.jpg

7d2c8387fd2e8d5dac2a43cbac7b9205.jpg

Edited by Arie

Bear in mind, Tar Valon and the White Tower were also raised during the Breaking of the World.  While they had Aes Sedai and Ogier Stonemasons, they lacked male channelers that would be far more comfortable using Earth on average.  Add to that all the other issues during the time like suppressing errant ajah and forcing unity with mass migrations and trying to stabilise things elsewhere while male channelers went mad and wrought havoc, 25 isn't so big an ask with the Dragon's Peace in place, regardless of its fragility.

Inkarnate.com is totally awesome!!! and would work well.  I have a paid for all assets account I could lend you.  

fantasy town generator is epic.  I LOVE it!  I just wish I could modify certain things, but I adore it!

Looking awesome - and I'm liking hearing about tools and things I never knew existed!!

Wayfarer's point about how quickly non-taint-affected male channelers working with the Dragon's Peace in place could build strikes home/true for me too - and now I'm imagining all the fun a player could have with a male channeler in this new world...

Your Bander will have gone through the end of the world.  I figure some would be replacing swords with ploughshares after an experience like that.  Might need something else to pull them back from that.  Bit of a trope for the veteran to be pulled back in, but it does work. 🙂

On 2/13/2024 at 6:52 AM, Cass said:

OTOH my poor BotRH fighter character is going to be at such a loss!

I might have some ideas for that. 

The military needs to be built from something, with someone in charge or leading through experience. Merging Warders and botrh would mean visionaries and opinions and where/what they would want to see being built. 

If Eb has opinions on this, i would lean that way. Especially if there were things she did not like and would want changed.

@Arie The draft of trade.

Merrilor and Trade

Merrilor itself is not rich in natural resources, but sitting upon the Erinin and Mora rivers does present certain advantages.  It doesn't dominate the river ways the same way that Tar Valon did before Tarmon Gaidon, but most of the northern routes that are river bound run through it.  Both Shol Arbela and Fal Moran have connected themselves to the city by new roads and the rivers also facilitate the transport of larger shipments.  Trade from the Niamh Passes also often flows through here, though trade from the east is not what it once was.  In turn, goods from the south often come to Merrilor to in turn filter to the capitals of Shienar and Arafel as well as continue on to the reborn Malkier.

Where Merrilor shines can be found in their workshops.  Many artisans were actively lured to the new city after Tarmon Gaidon, whether it was due to the safety offered by the city's military and channelers, or the chance to make money in such a place where people of power would need and want the finer things.  The result was the rapid development of industrial and commercial districts with many guilds while differing from anywhere else in the known world due to two reasons.

The academy and its technological advances have opened up new opportunities for goods and production, and while this has at times led to conflict due to these advances drastically changing the nature of the artisan has led to conflicts between the guild and academy.  The second is a small portion of the channelers of the city who have turned their eye to using their skills to create goods and services of their own.  This has required regulation to try and reach a balance, but it has meant that the production of goods wrought by the power.  While weapons are strictly banned from trade, works of art to something as simple as a cup that can never be broken do attract hefty commissions, money that in turn flows through the rest of the city.

The responsibilities of overseeing the management of trade in the city and participating in the city council fall to the Magister and Chancellor respectively  The Magister oversees the guilds of the city while the Chancellor is responsible for regulations of commerce and coinage for the city.  While they are united on most matters, they have been known to be opposed on the matter of guild rights versus free trade.

Addendum:

Magister:  A nominated representative of the guilds, they are their voice on the council and responsible for ensuring all guilds are compliant with Merrilor's laws and regulations.

Chancellor:  Foremost public servant of the city on economic matters.  Their duties include oversight of regulations governing commerce and taxation.  They also have oversight of both Merrilor's mint and Bank (to be named).

Edited by Wayfarer

CITY OF MERRILOR - CULTURE

Built on the primary structure of multiple militaries after the Final Battle, it is a wonder that the city did not continue with a primary leader of a king, nobility, or royal like its neighbors. Here are some basic breakdowns to help describe Merrilor’s general culture.

Historical Roots:

The Fields of Merrilor was a primary location prior to the Final Battle where most groups convened to plan and strategize for the Last Battle. Where Borderland Nations made peace talks and discussed the problems of both the north and the south. It once held a city in Ages past, and with so many denizens no longer able to return to where they came from, there was a strong precedence to build something new. 

In addition to the refugees from Kandor, along with the strong military representation of the Band of the Red Hand, the Black Tower, and those that followed the Dragon Reborn, there was an incredibly wide diversity among those that remained with the beginning of the new Age. A Settlement was created, with the agreement of the bordering Nations of Arafel and Shienar, under the advisement that they remain a city and do not branch out to the lands that belonged to either Nation.

Despite the extensively large Military presence of those that remained, many were from the adjourning Borderlands and returned to their homes, depleting the initial military numbers. While there were more than enough to defend and build, there was not enough willingness to fight their Nation for land that they had not needed. Under the agreement of the Dragon’s Peace, an additional agreement was written for those that remained and the southern lands where the River Mora and Erinin meet.

Cultural Diversity:

The growth of Merrilor as a culture only started to take off when the Military walls and city structure started to take shape. The rich tapestry of cultures, traditions, and backgrounds that coexist within Merrilor, drew influence from the artists and those who set aside their weapons for a tool. Using their talents, or even the One Power, to create instead of destroy. The safety of being misplaced in the world allowed a new cultural freedom to develop, truly highlighting the city's celebration of diversity as a source of strength, innovation, and resilience.

This included new cuisine dishes fused from different nations. Attire also changed, as the Military still held a significant influence but skirts, and dresses, became shorter in length with high boots to account for the incomplete streets. Leather pieces that were often seen as armor became part of everyday wear as accessory pieces.

Additional changes are the diversity in appearance, with families starting to blend. Though it would be another few generations before Merrilor had a unique appearance, it was not unusual for all colors to walk the streets.

A cultural dialect has started to emerge, a little more direct than the formal nobilities of the South. However, the Great Game will always be deeply instilled in the higher class, it became apparent that most who held higher ranks in the military did so out of skill over their ability to speak pretty words. Merrilor has a growing reputation among the common for being more colorful than their neighbors.

Role of Aes Sedai and Asha'man:

The integration of the Aes Sedai and Asha’man posed significant challenges due to centuries of deep-seated distrust and animosity. However, as Merrilor emerged as a beacon of cooperation and renewal, it became the stage for a remarkable transformation in relations.

As the city flourished in its first year of development and the formidable walls of the Ebon Vanguard stood sentinel, the Council of the Black Tower made a pivotal decision to invest more deeply in Merrilor. They sought to distance themselves from the haphazard structures of the pre-battle era, prioritizing stability, security, and a sense of community—values intrinsic to the Asha'man tradition.

The military hierarchy that once governed the Black Tower had been a necessity in the struggle against the Taint, but now, freed from the constant threat, they aimed to establish a sustainable way of life. With guidance from delegates of the White Tower, the Aes Sedai played a crucial role in facilitating negotiations for a City Council and implementing educational initiatives.

After the destruction of the White Tower, the Aes Sedai found refuge and a new home within Merrilor, reminiscent of their ancient sanctuary in the Age of Legends. Working side by side with the Asha'man through a mutual council, along with representatives from other groups, they formed a collective dedicated to the city's prosperity and well-being.

Together, the Aes Sedai, Asha'man, and the diverse inhabitants of Merrilor forged a path towards cooperation, understanding, and mutual growth, embodying the spirit of unity and resilience in the face of adversity.

The Application of Technology:

Amidst the cooperation of the Aes Sedai, Asha'man, and the Academy of Scientists from Cairhien, Merrilor experienced a profound leap in technological advancement that reshaped the city's way of life.

Harnessing the power of the One Power in collaboration with scientific expertise, the city witnessed remarkable innovations in various fields. Through the combined efforts of channelers and scholars, infrastructure projects were revolutionized with the construction of advanced transportation networks, fortified structures, and sustainable energy sources.

Communication systems underwent a dramatic transformation, with the development of intricate networks powered by the flows of Saidin and Saidar, enabling swift and secure exchanges of information across the city. This newfound connectivity facilitated efficient coordination among city officials, improved emergency response capabilities and strengthened community bonds.

The integration of magical and scientific knowledge also revolutionized healthcare practices, with healers and researchers working hand in hand to develop groundbreaking treatments and medical technologies. From advanced diagnostic tools to innovative healing techniques, these advancements improved the quality of healthcare and enhanced the well-being of Merrilor's inhabitants.

Additionally, agricultural practices were modernized through the introduction of magical irrigation systems and crop enhancement techniques, bolstering food security and promoting sustainable farming practices in the region.

As a result of these collaborative efforts, Merrilor emerged as a hub of innovation and progress, embracing technology as a catalyst for growth, prosperity, and cultural exchange. The city's way of life was profoundly transformed, with advancements in infrastructure, communication, healthcare, and agriculture enhancing the overall quality of life for its residents.

The cooperative spirit between channelers, scholars, and scientists exemplified Merrilor's commitment to embracing change and leveraging collective expertise to build a brighter future for all.

Challenges and Contention:

As Merrilor continues to undergo rapid development and transformation, it encounters a myriad of challenges and points of contention that shape its internal dynamics and external relations. Despite concerted efforts to foster cooperation and understanding among its diverse cultural groups, inherent tensions may arise due to the rich tapestry of traditions, customs, and beliefs that define Merrilor's social fabric. These differences, while contributing to the city's cultural vibrancy, can also serve as sources of friction, requiring continuous dialogue, empathy, and compromise to navigate.

Internally, Merrilor grapples with power struggles as various factions vie for control and influence within the city. While united in their overarching goal of prosperity and stability, competing interests and agendas can lead to political infighting and discord, potentially undermining the city's cohesion and governance structures. Balancing the diverse needs and aspirations of Merrilor's inhabitants becomes a delicate balancing act, requiring astute leadership and inclusive decision-making processes.

Moreover, Merrilor's embrace of technological innovation, while instrumental in advancing its growth and development, is not without its challenges. While some eagerly embrace the opportunities afforded by technological progress, others may harbor concerns about the erosion of traditional values and practices in the face of rapid change. Striking a harmonious balance between technological advancement and cultural preservation is a complex endeavor that requires thoughtful consideration and community engagement.

Externally, Merrilor's rising prominence attracts attention and interest from neighboring nations, leading to diplomatic complexities and geopolitical rivalries. As Merrilor seeks to assert itself on the world stage, it must navigate a delicate diplomatic dance, balancing its interests with the needs and concerns of external powers. Tensions may flare over competing geopolitical interests, territorial disputes, or historical grievances, testing Merrilor's diplomatic acumen and strategic alliances.

Furthermore, Merrilor faces security threats and economic disparities that pose significant challenges to its stability and prosperity. Despite its fortified defenses, the city remains vulnerable to external threats and shadowy influences seeking to undermine its security and stability. Economic disparities, while inevitable in any growing city, require proactive measures to address social inequities and promote inclusive growth and opportunity for all residents.

In navigating these multifaceted challenges, Merrilor is presented with an opportunity to define its identity and legacy as a beacon of unity, progress, and prosperity in the world. By embracing diversity, fostering cooperation, and confronting challenges with resilience and determination, Merrilor can chart a course toward a future that embodies its founding principles of unity, growth, and acceptance.

wip... 

Edited by Arie

On 2/17/2024 at 1:28 AM, Arie said:

I might have some ideas for that. 

The military needs to be built from something, with someone in charge or leading through experience. Merging Warders and botrh would mean visionaries and opinions and where/what they would want to see being built. 

If Eb has opinions on this, i would lean that way. Especially if there were things she did not like and would want changed.

@Quibby 's Mehrin actually springs to mind for this...

Quib? Bring him baaaacckkkkfromthe'dead'

Fair enough. I’ve hit a small wall on the inspiration front myself. 

I do have a few thoughts that I felt are worth bringing up either for discussion or to see if its a direction we would want to go before i put in the work to paragraph it up. 

• We are breaking the White Tower, and I’m going to pull the “Seanchan” card as they are the only force in our timeline that would have enough knowledge of how and the means to do so. A General. 
  • With the Tower breaking:
    • The Oath Rod is gone. Forcing Aes Sedai to resort to a different type of raising to refill the ranks without the oaths.
    • The Arches remain, as they are built into the location. They are still used as a raising test for Aes Sedai. Given the merging with the BT, I’d like a small storyline of a Male Channeler, an Asha’man taking the Arches as well. 
    • With the success of the male arches passing through, it can be a point of “raising” at the unity arches for all channelers to walk through the Arches. Much like how the Aiel treat Ruidean and the test there.
    • Not all of the older Asha’men will walk through, having survived the haunting of the Taint, but those new do. It is seen as a way to help connect the two in more than just a diplomatic way.
    • The White Tower can not be rebuilt without the Ogier, and with the amount of One Power items buried, I see the White Tower as a “dungeon crawl” event/activity instead of a rebuild and return it to what it was.
  • The Black Tower moves more to Merrilor because of a contract with the Andorian Queen who will not give them the land of the Farm without some kind of terif. Though it’s possible that some do remain (like some AS stay in Tar Valon to help with the recovery of the Tower) as solidarity to their original purpose and as possible future contention. It can become its own little city, but without the numbers to support something as sprawling and large.
  • The Academy is something that I played with in the past. I’m second guessing bringing an old character back. (She was cool, but I was also a little arrogant in her connections at the time.. because adhd and depressions and stuff…) So, if other people have other development suggestions I’m open unless the consensus for this lane is supported overall?

Totally into sending Kai into the arches as one of the first.  Could easily play into his desire to travel.  And since he'd have to travel to actually get to the Arches maybe it's all part of the 'quest to be raised'.  Like all who are in Merrilor need to travel BY FOOT to Tar Valon, enter the perilous dungeon with nothing but what they brought and walk through the arches.  (There is of course a cleared path so the channelers who run the arches can get there safely, but only the testers know this).  And passing is their 'graduation'  Perhaps inplace of the oath rods?

As far as where my mind was poking was the Traveling Gardens since that's where Nox would have focused and I can see him being involved in setting it up.  Though beyond the basic ideas I haven't given it much thought.  I'm currently floundering with my own writing and since nothing is steady everything is floundering.