DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The world of dreams (Spoiler warnings)

Qstar

*try to keep spoilers to a minimum. Thanks!👍

I have officially read books 1-6. I am starting book 7 soon. Tel'aran'rhiod was interesting to dive into. Robert Jordan is able to build a world that revolves around all the worlds linked to the wheel of time. Just thinking about that initially made my head spin. 

What stood out to you about this, "unseen world", when it was first introduced? I am hoping to get more context on Tel'aran'rhoid through the books.

First impressions? Mostly reminded me of an Astral or Ethereal Plane that is in many other fictional settings (I was particularly already familiar with Mage: The Ascension), as well as a general part of real-world mystical traditions/metaphysics. The reincarnation of heroes connection is unique and interesting.

I did like the idea in general of other worlds and shadows of the real one, mostly because of the weird things he threw into them, or that dread for things that 'could've been so easily.' 

6 hours ago, Qstar said:

@DojoToad what was is that you didn't care for? If you don't mind to share.

The whole metaphysics of how tel'aran'rhiod, the ways, and portal stone worlds related to each other and the real world - if they did at all - was all too complex for me.  More often than not I was just pushing myself to get past these areas to get back to the story I enjoyed.

I think most everyone else enjoyed or at least tolerated it much better than I.

@DojoToad typically I'm not a fan of the metaphysical stuff. I have to admit that I was a bit lost. I can almost see the meaning of Tel'aran'rhiod. It seems to be based on belief.

If you believe that you have been injured in the world then you are injured in reality. Also for each weave there seems to be one creator one dark one and one Tel'aran'rhiod.

Which as you have stated might confuse many and force them to grind through to the good bits. Thanks for sharing. 

• 7 months later...
On 5/5/2023 at 8:15 PM, Qstar said:

for each weave there seems to be one creator one dark one and one Tel'aran'rhiod.

Many/infinite worlds, but only 1x Creator, 1x DO, and 1x T'A'R that connects everything and to everything. 

• RP - PLAYER

If there are an infinite number of worlds, with all the dreamwalkers in each of them, why don't they ever meet themselves or their friends from other worlds in Tel'aran'rhiod? 

Could people move through TAR from one world to a more pleasant world? 

I never thought that TAR being a constant in the trousers of time made a lot of sense or had even impact on the story except for making it easier to introduce its explanation and introduction. 

But an infinite number of Egwene's getting together. And having slumber party. I can see the appeal. 

22 minutes ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

why don't they ever meet themselves or their friends from other worlds in Tel'aran'rhiod? 

Dreaming is supposedly a rare Talent, so mayhap that's why there's no T'A'R social clubs. Or maybe it's like 'Fight Club' rules?

22 minutes ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

Could people move through TAR from one world to a more pleasant world?

If suspect this is how the Portal Stones were researched and created. I also suspect the Wise Ones would say this is 'evil' as you'd have to travel between the realities in-person.

27 minutes ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

I never thought that TAR being a constant in the trousers of time made a lot of sense

I sort of agree with you when I first read the series. Since then, I've had more exposure to various metaphysical musings as well as various Quantum Mechanics theories. T'A'R makes a little more sense to me now, but not much more.

There's a theory about the nature of the Randland universe that I stumbled across in a thread here on Dragonmount. I should run across it again fairly soon, as I read, and re-read, these threads while I'm bored at work. In a nutshell, the true reality is T'A'R. All the infinite worlds are shards split off from T'A'R by the Creator at the time of creation. And something about that relates to how Rand got his newfound ability at the end of AMoL. There's more to the theory but that's all I can recall right now.