DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A recurring thought...

Siswaiaman

Just came to me as i was writing a post for the WOT movie...

Go back and read the intro to tEotW.

A fact list:

The dark one is sealed. He cannot touch the world

His forsaken have been sealed with him, they sleep untill the Dragon is reborn.

All men have begun to go mad, the Hundred Compainions are no more to speak of.

The question:

Who is the mysterious shadow charecter?

Let there be discussion.

Plausible theories:

0 so far.

• Community Administrator

umm, mysterious man =?

Are you reffering to balzamon? If so thats ishmale. He was actually the closest to the surface you could say.. He has left the prison several times during the 3000 years to alter history in there favor..

If you really want the answer it's sort of a spoiler if you haven't read LoC or tBWB.

Scroll down...

Lews calls him the Destroyer of Hope which was one of Ishamael's names. One of the first clues Ishy wasn't completely trapped in Shayol Ghul.

The preface of eotw. He was outside prior of it seal.

He was free. But the world was also chaos, and his "lord" was weakened. Also it wasnt safe either. So he you could say, has gone to the nearest point he could in the bore, and was able to maintain his immortality.

We have seen several things, such as the seanchans prophecies being altered by ishmale. He thrives by making chaos after all. =) That and balzamon, we later find out in the series was just the insane ishmale running amock. :P Also um.. theres something else.. i just can't lie my finger on it!

It's been explained several times throughout the course of the books that Ishy was never fully trapped. He was behind the Trolloc Wars and even Hawkwing's seige of Tar Valon. I seem to recall one of the Forsaken commenting about how Ishy was always boasting about how he was never fully trapped.

There are accounts that a mysterious evil man appeared every 40 years or so. The most well known instance was one of Artur Hawkwings' aide who convinced Artur that all Aes Sedai were evil and then had him send an army across the Aryth Ocean.

I believe there are also conversations from the Black sisters in tSR or tFoH that Ishy came to them 40 years ago. I may be imaging this one though, but I'm pretty sure Ishy founded the Black Ajah.

pre-breaking it was friendship rivalry.. power in the aol wasn't achieved via agressive, killing enemies, but by being a servive to your nation.. So killing ltt would make him lose power not gain it.. after the breaking it allll changed. His contempt to ltt about always being his better manifested it's self.

Guest cwestervelt
pre-breaking it was friendship rivalry.. power in the aol wasn't achieved via agressive' date=' killing enemies, but by being a servive to your nation.. So killing ltt would make him lose power not gain it.. after the breaking it allll changed. His contempt to ltt about always being his better manifested it's self.[/quote']

I think you mean "pre War of Power" not "pre Breaking". By the time the War of Power occurred, there wasn't any friendship left. The Bore was patched and the War of Power was already over well before the Breaking.

As I recall' date=' they were close rivals. If you read any of Ba'alzamon's dialogue with Rand in the first three books you'll get an idea of their relationship in the AoL.[/quote']

by baalzamon you mean ishy?

He doesn't really get into that, he necer tells rand he's ishmael

As I recall' date=' they were close rivals. If you read any of Ba'alzamon's dialogue with Rand in the first three books you'll get an idea of their relationship in the AoL.[/quote']

by baalzamon you mean ishy?

He doesn't really get into that, he necer tells rand he's ishmael

baalzy = ishy..he had lots of names.

J

• 2 months later...

As i understand it, prior to the War of Power LTT and Ishy hardly encountered each other. LTT was a politician, Ishy a philosopher. The forsaken that LTT knew before the war were Demandred, Sammael, Be'lal and Lanfear. During the war, according to Ishy, they encountered each other many times, and every time LTT won.

Quite right, Luckers.

However, there was no one (?) as strong in the Power as either of them in their lifetimes, so there must be a bit of comparison... I wonder if they were at school together ... ? I don't like the idea that LTT always beat Ishamael. Except for the last bit, where he died, but maybe he foiled Ishy by dying at all. Ishy seemed frustrated by LTT's "easy" getaway (what do you expect from a man who's half-trapped in an immortal prison and has been driven insane by the essence of all evil? That's gotta make falling down stairs seem like a hiccup.)

LTT was a politician? Even RJ's books cannot seem to prevent me from losing a massive amount of interest in his life... I mean, there can't even have been any fun scandals or any terrorism when everyone was all goody-goody.

Strength in the power doesn't really seem to have been held in any reguard. Mierin, who was possibly the strongest a woman could ever get, never even got her third name and had no social fame whatsoever. I dont nessasarily think that just becuase they were both powerful they had to know each other. Remember that 3% of the population could channel... in an industrialized society that'd probably be about 3% of at least 3 billion.

Also, i dont think they went to school together. Ishy strikes me as quite a bit older then LTT, and there must have been thousands of students... i doubt they'd all go to the same school.

Lol. I know eh. Politicians suck.

Archived