DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does WOT risk attracting comparisons with dune (among non book readers).

Scarloc99

The similarities between the Aiel and the Freman, Rand/Avihenda and Paul/Chani are obvious and have been discussed at length online. I know many have stated that RJ was not influenced by the dune saga but I sometimes find that difficult to believe. There are other similarities as well, the bene gessarit and the aes sedai for instance, 

Currently Dune part 2 is due to land end 2023, with rumors of a planned 3rd movie or a limited streaming/HBO style series being announced based on how the 2nd movie lands. This means that potentially for the next few years at least, assuming a Novemberish release date for WOT each year, you can have Dune landing about the same time. 

So I wonder, do the writers and producers of WOT risk now having the material compared side by side? Will that cause any issues especially given just how truly amazing the first Dune movie was. Or are they different enough that people will see it for the independent productions they are? And yes one is sci fi the other fantasy which may be all it takes for people not to dissect the similarities? 

Edited by Sir_Charrid

1 hour ago, Sir_Charrid said:

The similarities between the Aiel and the Freman, Rand/Avihenda and Paul/Chani are obvious and have been discussed at length online. I know many have stated that RJ was not influenced by the dune saga but I sometimes find that difficult to believe. There are other similarities as well, the bene gessarit and the aes sedai for instance,

As far as I know, RJ was influenced by dune. I mean, every writer is influenced by everything he's read through his life, but the aiel and aes sedai are clearly inspired. I don't see any real similarity between aviendha and chani, on the other hand.

that said, it's not the same thing and there are enough differences. the aiel have a touch of fremen in them, but they are modeled more closely to the zulu impis - at some point someone even describes aiel common tactics that's exactly the same as the impi fighting tactics. then there is the short spear - iklwa - and the fact that they can run for very long distances. while the whole clan structure is modeled after irish or scottish clans.

actually, the fremen and aiel look similar on the surface, but they get more different the more you analyze. so, let people analyze.

9 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

There have been darn near infinite DUNE adaptations to the big and small screen. 

In my opinion if people JUST started comparing then there may be something wrong with said people lol. 

Sorry to clarify I am talking about non book readers. Are they going to see these 2 things on screen side by side and feel one is a bit derivative? Will non book commentators start making the comparisons online? 

Edited by Sir_Charrid

• Scarloc99 changed the title to Does WOT risk attracting comparisons with dune (among non book readers).
On 2/26/2023 at 9:08 PM, king of nowhere said:

As far as I know, RJ was influenced by dune. I mean, every writer is influenced by everything he's read through his life, but the aiel and aes sedai are clearly inspired. I don't see any real similarity between aviendha and chani, on the other hand.

that said, it's not the same thing and there are enough differences. the aiel have a touch of fremen in them, but they are modeled more closely to the zulu impis - at some point someone even describes aiel common tactics that's exactly the same as the impi fighting tactics. then there is the short spear - iklwa - and the fact that they can run for very long distances. while the whole clan structure is modeled after irish or scottish clans.

actually, the fremen and aiel look similar on the surface, but they get more different the more you analyze. so, let people analyze.

The Aes Sedai weren't inspired by dune.

They were inspired by the witches of Avalon from King Arthur legends.   Avalon where the name Tar Valon comes from

WI believe that Dune was also based at least partially on them as well, which is likely why there are similarities.