DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Struggling after it’s over

Hi all, 

I have been reading some of the forum posts here and I know there’s been threads on this topic already so I’m sorry for revisiting this..

I just finished the last book and I’m actually feeling such profound loss and emotional pain i am overwhelmed…

I started reading the series many years ago circa 2000 and I only read part of the series that was out and I have re read the first five or six books a few times since…

with the tv series being made I committed to reading all of the books starting over again and they grabbed ahold of me, at times I would read for five or six hours, late into the night, frequently until the sun rises (and ruining my sleep schedule) 

I became so deeply engrossed in the story, I identified so strongly with all of the characters for one reason or another. I read all 14 books in just the past four months or so, I really can’t pin down when I began this time…

but now after finishing the last book I feel completely empty 

I have such a strong need to know what will happen with rand in his new body, how will mat get by with tuon and the seanchan, so many other peoples stories that will go on but I can never know anything about them now that the last page has been written 

I feel as if I’ve suffered the loss of death of so many close friends all at once, not just the ones that died but all of the characters. 
i wasn’t expecting this intense loss, I’ve read other series and been sad at the ending and at not having those stories but this is happening on an entirely different scale.

maybe reading all the books over again in such an obsessive way in short time has amplified this feeling 

I just don’t know what to do and who to talk to.  I know many maybe all of you who read this post understand and can relate 

This is actually such a painful experience I can’t sleep and I made an account here just to post this and reach out to someone who can relate

If anyone has suggestions on how to move on from this series or cope with this utterly surprising and sharp loss please tell me 

I had similar feelings, though not as intense.

I would say - mourn the loss, but also celebrate the experience.

Personally, I will be reading the books again next year.  It gives me something to look forward to.  The rest of this year I'm throwing myself into other things: fitness, diorama building, landscaping the yard, reading other fiction, developing relationships with neighbors.  I still think about WoT.  But there is much more to life.  More joy, more grief, more filler...

Edited by DojoToad

I don’t think I will struggle as much because there’s other stuff I want to read shorter stuff. 14 books of same story is bit much I think  I’m one last book now 

I want to try to write stories again I didn’t want to try that while reading series because my mind would have gotten muddled 

I have been putting off tv show till I finish so I will give that a go 

I felt something similar to you when I first finished the series.

There are a number of things you might do to alleviate the feeling, but ultimately it's different for each individual reader.

You might throw yourself into other activities besides reading.

You might dive into another immersive series.

You might even jump right back into this series, starting over from Eye of the World.

But if the most intense thing you're feeling is for a need to continue these characters' stories, you might consider dabbling in fan fiction.  Don't worry about coming up with something worth publishing, just explore where you think they might go.

And this site is a very welcoming place for such exploration.

Thank you everyone for the responses.  I never understood fan fiction in general, and totally never thought of writing any. But something about the suggestion made me feel better, considering where the characters might go, what might happen… it made them seem less dead 

ive been obsessing on work, WoT, and league of legends mostly, maybe I should pick up a new series. Open to any suggestions, maybe I will start with something by Sanderson though 

Ah yes, post-book depression. The Wheel of Time is said to cause the worst one available. I didn't feel it as keenly myself, but I did quit reading for a few months. I tried to pick up something else after I finished A Memory of Light, but it just felt inconsequential.

I ended up diving back into one of my all-time favourite videogames. That helped.

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely felt this as well after my second reading of the series.  I was surprised at what a strong feeling it was.  Part of this might be because the characters are very well developed, another part because the books are such a large commitment of time for the reader.  I know people who have similar feelings when they for example finish a television series they really enjoy, although it does not seem to be as intense.

Wow, SadWoTreader, I just followed a similiar trajectory.  I watched the first season of the WoT TV series, and developed a desire to read the books again.  Though I had started earlier than you, around 1997 and read whatever books were out til around 1998.  Like you, I started right from the beginning and went through all 14 and also the 15th centered around Moiraine, in a matter of 2 -3 months.  Just finished today.  Then came on the community forum here, mainly to read other members' comments on the ending of the book.  I am looking forward to future seasons of the TV series, and I think coming on the forum here and discussing with others members helps.  Some parts of the plot at the conclusion could have ended better, but when I see other members in these forums voicing some of the same things, it helps.  I am contemplating getting into other fantasy series, perhaps from the co-author of the last few WoT books.  But yeah, my advice is to keep moving forward, whether its related to WoT (by re-reading the books focusing on different themes each time, contributing in the forums, reading other books by the author/co-author, keep up to speed with the TV series) or other hobbies/interests you may have. 

On 5/13/2022 at 9:40 AM, SadWoTreader said:

Hi all, 

I have been reading some of the forum posts here and I know there’s been threads on this topic already so I’m sorry for revisiting this..

I just finished the last book and I’m actually feeling such profound loss and emotional pain i am overwhelmed…

I started reading the series many years ago circa 2000 and I only read part of the series that was out and I have re read the first five or six books a few times since…

with the tv series being made I committed to reading all of the books starting over again and they grabbed ahold of me, at times I would read for five or six hours, late into the night, frequently until the sun rises (and ruining my sleep schedule) 

I became so deeply engrossed in the story, I identified so strongly with all of the characters for one reason or another. I read all 14 books in just the past four months or so, I really can’t pin down when I began this time…

but now after finishing the last book I feel completely empty 

I have such a strong need to know what will happen with rand in his new body, how will mat get by with tuon and the seanchan, so many other peoples stories that will go on but I can never know anything about them now that the last page has been written 

I feel as if I’ve suffered the loss of death of so many close friends all at once, not just the ones that died but all of the characters. 
i wasn’t expecting this intense loss, I’ve read other series and been sad at the ending and at not having those stories but this is happening on an entirely different scale.

maybe reading all the books over again in such an obsessive way in short time has amplified this feeling 

I just don’t know what to do and who to talk to.  I know many maybe all of you who read this post understand and can relate 

This is actually such a painful experience I can’t sleep and I made an account here just to post this and reach out to someone who can relate

If anyone has suggestions on how to move on from this series or cope with this utterly surprising and sharp loss please tell me 

Start watching the TV show...

It will be kill or cure.

• 2 weeks later...

I have started reading some Sanderson books and would recommend this.  Warbreaker is free on his website and is quite good.  I have also started the Mistborn series and it is going well so far.  These books have a lot of content and are fast paced, reminiscent of the final WoT books that Sanderson finished, although with a very different world and cast of characters.

5 minutes ago, Burritoville said:

I have started reading some Sanderson books and would recommend this.  Warbreaker is free on his website and is quite good.  I have also started the Mistborn series and it is going well so far.  These books have a lot of content and are fast paced, reminiscent of the final WoT books that Sanderson finished, although with a very different world and cast of characters.

I loved the first Mistborn novel, but the 2nd and 3rd got progressively worse for me.  I haven't been brave enough to try the 2nd trilogy yet.

14 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

It’s extremely different. 

Respectfully I disagree. I don't think they are that different; the setting is different but it still reads like Sanderson imo (which for me was a positive as I like Sanderson).

It's kind of like Adrian Tchaikovsky Shadows of the Apt and Children of Time series - one is High Fantasy and the other is Space Opera but they have a distinct feel specific to that author. 

I guess it depends if it is the story or the mode of Sandersons travel that @DojoToaddidn't like. 

I think it had to do with balance.  The first book had a good balance between characters, magic, and world building.  Think this was lost through the 2nd and 3rd books.

Plus I never liked Elend becoming Mistborn.  Almost like BS couldn't trust Vin to carry the weight with Kelsier gone.  

Edited by DojoToad

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I think it had to do with balance.  The first book had a good balance between characters, magic, and world building.  Think this was lost through the 2nd and 3rd books.

Plus I never liked Elend becoming Mistborn.  Almost like BS couldn't trust Vin to carry the weight with Kelsier gone.  

I would have to agree will that, actually. I enjoyed the story when I was reading it but it didn't feel very satisfying looking back. The first book was also my favorite.

10 hours ago, SilentRoamer said:

Respectfully I disagree. I don't think they are that different; the setting is different but it still reads like Sanderson imo (which for me was a positive as I like Sanderson).

I agree that it still reads like Sanderson. And I am a fan of both series. But there is a fairly dramatic shift in tone (W&W is more comedic than Mistborn) and setting (Wild West vs. swords & sorcery). 

I don’t mean to suggest that one is inherently better than the other. But I do think that there are major tonal differences. The fact that Brando Sando can write both series and make them so different while preserving the core magic system is a testament to his brilliance as a writer. 

20 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I agree that it still reads like Sanderson. And I am a fan of both series. But there is a fairly dramatic shift in tone (W&W is more comedic than Mistborn) and setting (Wild West vs. swords & sorcery). 

I don’t mean to suggest that one is inherently better than the other. But I do think that there are major tonal differences. The fact that Brando Sando can write both series and make them so different while preserving the core magic system is a testament to his brilliance as a writer. 

Yeah there are tonal differences - the authorial voice still comes through for me. 

I personally enjoyed the First Mistborn the most with the possible exception of the ending of the series which I thought was really strong. I found the Alloy of Law era stuff to be a lot of fun and fast paced - same with Reckoners. 

• 3 weeks later...