DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Speculation] Season 2 - Locations & Scenes

8 hours ago, DojoToad said:

And speculation is S2 won't be released until early 2023.  Plenty of time to make everything awesome - but can they?

If the post-production time is the same for season 2 as it was for season 1, it should drop in November, as well.  Season 1 filming wrapped in May of 2021, and it premiered six months later.

If they delay the season 2 premier until early 2021, that should only mean they are spending more time on visual effects, or re-edits.

If it doesn't happen, it won't be because they can't.

So I just noticed some details I missed earlier in the JordanCon video above.

From what Rafe says there, Falme is being filmed in Morocco.  Aviendha (Ayoola Smart) is appearing in a fight scene also filmed in Morocco.

Which implies one of two things:

1) Aviendha is now going to be part of the Falme arc.  Which is ... odd.

2) Tear is also being filmed in Morocco.  Which is ... even more odd.

5 minutes ago, Andra said:

So I just noticed some details I missed earlier in the JordanCon video above.

From what Rafe says there, Falme is being filmed in Morocco.  Aviendha (Ayoola Smart) is appearing in a fight scene also filmed in Morocco.

Which implies one of two things:

1) Aviendha is now going to be part of the Falme arc.  Which is ... odd.

2) Tear is also being filmed in Morocco.  Which is ... even more odd.

Imagine Morocco is big enough to have areas with varying architecture and land/sea areas.  But I don't know that for sure.  If it is fairly homogenous, than would probably be strange to film both Falme and Tear there.

nothing strange. morocco is a big country. mostly semidesertic, but it has forested areas.

so you use one city for falme. then you take a trip to somewhere in the hinterland and you film a fight near tear. or you can use morocco for tear too, afaik it's homogeneous stilistically and you wouldn't want it too similar to falme, but nothing that can't be fixed with some cardboard enhancement to exhisting buildings.

it looks much cheaper than moving the whole cast and troupe in a whole country.

7 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

nothing strange. morocco is a big country. mostly semidesertic, but it has forested areas.

so you use one city for falme. then you take a trip to somewhere in the hinterland and you film a fight near tear. or you can use morocco for tear too, afaik it's homogeneous stilistically and you wouldn't want it too similar to falme, but nothing that can't be fixed with some cardboard enhancement to exhisting buildings.

it looks much cheaper than moving the whole cast and troupe in a whole country.

The problem is that they have already defined the look of part of Tear - the Fingers of the Dragon.

As far as I am aware, nothing in Morocco looks anything like that.  And though the show doesn't say on screen that Siuan's childhood home is in Tear, the bonus content does.

Also, Rafe didn't just say Aviendha was in a scene being filmed somewhere off in the interior of Morocco, he said she was filming "right around the corner."

I don't doubt that if they chose Morocco for Tear, it was due to the cost savings.  For the same reason they filmed things from the Two Rivers to Fal Dara in the vicinity of Prague.  The issue with that kind of economic decision would be that, though Falme is only a location for that one part of the story and never visited again, Tear shows up repeatedly throughout the series. 

Will they have to go back to Morocco to film every future scene in Tear?

5 hours ago, Nik said:

All of these pictures are from Morocco. They have plenty to pick from if they want to film distinct-looking locations there.

1280px-Merzouga,_Morocco.jpg

1280px-Lac-Tislit.jpeg

Quercus_suber_Maamora_Forest_Morokko.jpg

Haschisch_rif_maroc.jpeg

And none of them resemble the location Siuan's childhood home as portrayed in the show.  Which is in the Fingers of the Dragon, in Tear.

20 hours ago, Andra said:

And none of them resemble the location Siuan's childhood home as portrayed in the show.  Which is in the Fingers of the Dragon, in Tear.

I'm sure they'll work something out. Either go back to wherever they filmed that if they need to, or alter another location to make it look the way they want, or just not have any scenes take place in the fingers of the Dragon.

20 hours ago, Nik said:

I'm sure they'll work something out. Either go back to wherever they filmed that if they need to, or alter another location to make it look the way they want, or just not have any scenes take place in the fingers of the Dragon.

Well in the 2 books than are coming there is no Fingers of the Dragon , they get off  2/3 boats , visit a healer ,get locked up , fight a guy in a tavern and take the Stone then move on .  Season 3 they go to 4 other (Two Rivers,Aiel Waste ,Tanchico.Cairhien) places and never go into how Tear is set up

3 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

Well in the 2 books than are coming there is no Fingers of the Dragon , they get off  2/3 boats , visit a healer ,get locked up , fight a guy in a tavern and take the Stone then move on .  Season 3 they go to 4 other (Two Rivers,Aiel Waste ,Tanchico.Cairhien) places and never go into how Tear is set up

Well who knows what makes it into the show and what gets changed.

12 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

Yes, the Fingers of the Dragon are not in book 2, or more than mentioned in passing in book 3.  But it has already been seen in season 1 and identified as such in the "bonus material"- Siuan's childhood home.

Which means the show has already defined the look of the countryside surrounding the city of Tear.  And it looks nothing like the place where the video shows Rafe saying they are filming Aviendha's "fight scene."

1 hour ago, Andra said:

Yes, the Fingers of the Dragon are not in book 2, or more than mentioned in passing in book 3.  But it has already been seen in season 1 and identified as such in the "bonus material"- Siuan's childhood home.

Which means the show has already defined the look of the countryside surrounding the city of Tear.  And it looks nothing like the place where the video shows Rafe saying they are filming Aviendha's "fight scene."

"fight scene."

Which in the book was somewhere on the trip to Tear, in Andor before they got on another boat

10 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

Well stop speculating about things you don't know about . If they stick to 2 and 3 they spend no time in Tear apart from getting off a boat and doing a lot of inside shots.

Fairs fair though, only right if you follow your own advice...

I go by what they included from book 1 , what they interpreted, what they changed and what they left out..

They left more out, they changed plenty and they interpreted what remained quite differently to how many others saw things.

Series 1 was pretty bare bones perhaps 5% of the book? Say 25% allowing for my bias and general error.

Series 2 is going to have twice the content from the 2 books to draw from but if it has the same runtime its going to be half the amount per book, if they continue as they did initially.

That will be 2.5-12.5% of content per book.

Fantasy TV/movie book adaptations are extremely difficult to do(I would say it's the hardest genre to translate to screen), it is EXTREMELY rare that they follow the book much more than a low % and even rarer that they are particularly successful, usually due to people not sticking to the source material enough and putting their own perspective on things...Changing the recipe is fraught with risk.

8 hours ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Fantasy TV/movie book adaptations are extremely difficult to do(I would say it's the hardest genre to translate to screen), it is EXTREMELY rare that they follow the book much more than a low % and even rarer that they are particularly successful, usually due to people not sticking to the source material enough and putting their own perspective on things...Changing the recipe is fraught with risk.

People keep saying this. I don’t know why they keep saying this. EOTW was an easy adaptation. They just blew it. 

38 minutes ago, WoTwasThat said:

People keep saying this. I don’t know why they keep saying this. EOTW was an easy adaptation. They just blew it. 

Well...Think of all the fantasy books ever written, think of all the fantasy books turned into TV/Film and then think of all the successful ones or even ones that are any good.

There are not that many that spring to mind for me...GoT, LotR, original Conan..

15 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

"fight scene."

Which in the book was somewhere on the trip to Tear, in Andor before they got on another boat

Actually, that was in Cairhien.

But her other fighting in book 3 took place inside the Stone of Tear.

Not in Falme, and not any place that would have looked like the filming location in Morocco.

3 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

Speaking of location, do we know if they made another large setting like they did for emond field and shadar logoth in S1?

That could be tear, and could solve all the issues of where they are filming.

The stuff about aiel being at falme, is that domething confirmed, or speculated?

Not confirmed, but the actress for Aviendha has been on the same set as Whitecloaks and Seanchen and doing fight training and choreography.  This season will combine books 2 and 3.

19 hours ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Well...Think of all the fantasy books ever written, think of all the fantasy books turned into TV/Film and then think of all the successful ones or even ones that are any good.

There are not that many that spring to mind for me...GoT, LotR, original Conan..

You can add Potter to the mix. I'm sure there are others. But I'm not sure that it matters. Even if there are relatively few relatively faithful fantasy adaptations, that isn't necessarily because it is hard. I do think you hear a lot of writers whining about how hard it is - after their artistic take on the material bombs.