DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favorite video breakdown to watch after each episode?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cranglevoid

After my own breakdown after each episode (i.e. rocking back and forth on the floor, asking "Why, why, why?), I usually listen to what Daniel Greene has to say.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WheelTalk

I've never been a huge fan of this channel, but Recappa Sedai is doing a review show with his husband, who hasn't read the books. Still waiting on the final review, but I've found it to be my favorite. Others I watch have already been mentioned, outside of Bookborn.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Bookborn

Edited by WOTohnoes

On 12/12/2021 at 1:30 PM, DermidAjala said:

I really enjoy and would recommend redlaytee's channel if you're interested in non-reader reactions because she asks loads of really great questions and theorises as she goes. It's fun to see where she's on the mark but also fun to see what she misunderstands and what the show sets up for someone else who is watching a bit more attentively than some others.

Second that.

On 12/28/2021 at 5:22 AM, Mailman said:

Excellent review I just came across only watched the one on the final episode so far but sums it up very nicely

Yes, Bianca is FIRE. I love smart women. “This is one of the worst adaptations I’ve ever seen in my entire life” LOL. I think we might be soulmates.

Aside from the content, she also gets bonus points for amazing usage of her hands, and the way she does this little laugh and winks at the camera every time she sinks a knife into a particularly stupid writing decision. ? 

7 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

Not this one, a proper bottom of the internet rant, shocks me someone like this can actually claim to have read the books. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqkvPaoi-lQW_qFCqJTsOg

Thanks for that link. He was a bit harsh on the Lews Therin scene but overall he was correct on most things.

His best line "Where did the money go?"

After watching season 2 of the Witcher which had the same budget and similar covid filming conditions I was blown away at how good it was.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:06 AM, notpropaganda73 said:

Really fair review of the season as a whole from Daniel Greene here in my opinion. 

Since he said pretty much most of the things I've written on this board I'll have to endorse this review. I rate it higher in that I don't mind the uneveness as much and I approach it more as casually rather than as a hardcore enthusiast. My grade is also more accepting of starting jitters. In a way I see this season kind of like the end seasons of Game of Thrones. Very fun immersion to watch and was enjoyable but did many things that were not as smooth- and I prefer that it starts this way, just as a young sheepherder was not always so smooth. Yet, he finished well enough

Anyway to encapsulate the point of the uneveness of the 1st season let me point out one of the moments Greene doesn't like- the visual above, of Rand embracing the power at the Eye. One of the sweetest moments visually to me was when Rand very first embraced the power in the dream. There was this kind pan and Josha had this amazing swagger that still has me nodding. However- the kind of freeze frame pan and coiling of the power that it cuts to the eye just had me, like Greene, doing the shaking my head moment. It started off with brilliance then faded into something not horrible, but subpar for sure. I don't mind that shift in quality all that much but I get that for some people that shift can be jilting- and it happened quite often. This instance being especially noteworthy as it changed in quality literally from one second to another. Am hopeful and expecting that they can get good feedback on those parts that really work.

Having said all that Greene also thinks that Eye could be adapted to the screen and be great... I'm somewhat skeptical of that in 8 or even 10 hours. Very good, or excellent? Yes, but great? I dunno. Eye just has that much pace 

oh yeah I also enjoyed that he caught that they were pretty abysmal at marking time throughout the 1st season. So many quick scenes that could have helped mark time were missed and they could have really developed some character interaction

Edited by Blackbyrd

6 hours ago, grayavatar said:

Thanks for that link. He was a bit harsh on the Lews Therin scene but overall he was correct on most things.

His best line "Where did the money go?"

After watching season 2 of the Witcher which had the same budget and similar covid filming conditions I was blown away at how good it was.

I only got through one or 2 of his vids, really didn't like his approach 

Edited by Sir_Charrid

Are there also any fun podcasts (let me know if I should create separate topic for this, but it seems very similar)? I used to listen to Nerdette Recaps GoT with Peter Segal which was really fun -- fair criticism but generally very lighthearted and goofy, but it doesn't seem like they are doing WoT. I'd rather just listen to people talk while I do chores than have videos on in the background that are mostly just people talking anyway.

@ForsakenPotato

Wheel Takes with Ali and Gus is a fantastic podcast.  They have been doing a read through of the books with Gus having read them before and Ali being a new reader.  They started a separate podcast for the show and Ali works in TV production so she is very intuitive to why certain changes the way they are.

Highly recommend.

Guest Testeria
On 12/30/2021 at 11:55 PM, WoTwasThat said:

Yes, Bianca is FIRE. I love smart women. “This is one of the worst adaptations I’ve ever seen in my entire life” LOL. I think we might be soulmates.

Aside from the content, she also gets bonus points for amazing usage of her hands, and the way she does this little laugh and winks at the camera every time she sinks a knife into a particularly stupid writing decision. ? 

She is from eastern Europe and it makes her perspective much different from typical English/American reviewer... yes, I like her most.

On 1/1/2022 at 10:40 PM, DaddyFinn said:

This channel has been linked in some threads before. I guess those who are very negative could find it worth a watch. Shad (runs the channel Shadiversity) is a bookfan and seems to be pretty disapppointed. I've not watched these since I get my dose of negativity in here and that's more than enough. ?

Wow, Shad's reviews are really long but they are funny ?