DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favorite video breakdown to watch after each episode?

1 hour ago, notpropaganda73 said:

Really enjoyed this from a non-reader POV. Calling The Dark One "an Italian chef" had me in tears hahaha

Yes I just watched that one and the EDN E8 reaction yesterday (they noticed that he looked like he shopped at Banana Republic ?).    The theme I am seeing from the non-reader reactions is that they mostly all intrigued / hooked going into S2.   

https://everydayshouldbetuesday.wordpress.com/

Not a video, but this blog treats the show very fairly and was my personal favorite breakdown even back when the author liked the show and I didn't (spoiler: episode 8 changed things). 

He's also doing a sort of Chapter by Chapter re-read of the original series where he posts about the books as he goes through them. It's a dang good time, and he just finished TGH

Edited by JeffTheWoodlandElf

7 hours ago, notpropaganda73 said:

Another really good balanced review here in my opinion

Definitely a solid review. Regarding spectacle I'll again say that I would much rather have all the overdone spectacle at the start of the series rather than at the end like in Game- the later seasons being enjoyable but overtly reliant on 'oh damn that looks cool' effects. To be more narrow though, there is a certain amount of spectacle for the sake of spectacle that can be allowed. For instance in ep 8 the tidal wave is totally spectacle for spectacle but it can work as it doesn't necessarily have to viewed as a literal thing rather a moment of symbology- which can be a cool effect on screen. However, you couple that with the whole Nynaeve near-death experience and suddenly you have two spectacle for spectacles within moments of each other. So even if the Nynaeve death fake out was a cool effect (it wasn't really) it likely never could have stood up next to another big time cool, over the top effect to end the season. One of those areas where picking your spots on the somewhat cheesy/screenish over the top stuff is worth thinking about. Again though- much rather see this at the start than at the end.

I think it's also important to address the Nynaeve Supernova phenomenon. Was them killing like 10k trollocs good? No. As the review states it somewhat undermines the Trollocs that they can do that without a Sa or the Eye at this point in time. However, the idea that 5 woman channelers are an uber powerful is a good effect and especially regarding Nynaeve and I defintely don't mind that she got those immediate power visuals in the 1st season

Spoiler

Nynaeve has incredible feats throughout the books. If one were to call Rand the Luke Skywalker of WoT then Nynaeve very much was Leia- however a Leia that was much more fully realized than the OG trilogy Leia. In the show we know Rand is the DR, we know Perrin is gonna get wolfie, and we expect Mat to get the memories- which all help explain away some of their power spike. That never actually happens in the books that well in regards to Nynaeve. She's just kinda prodigious with the power. Not that it really gets explained in the show that well either, but to show that she has this crazy amount of power/talent from the get go definitely works for me considering what she'll be doing throughout the series. 

Edited by Blackbyrd

On 1/6/2022 at 6:46 PM, Blackbyrd said:

Definitely a solid review. Regarding spectacle I'll again say that I would much rather have all the overdone spectacle at the start of the series rather than at the end like in Game- the later seasons being enjoyable but overtly reliant on 'oh damn that looks cool' effects. To be more narrow though, there is a certain amount of spectacle for the sake of spectacle that can be allowed. For instance in ep 8 the tidal wave is totally spectacle for spectacle but it can work as it doesn't necessarily have to viewed as a literal thing rather a moment of symbology- which can be a cool effect on screen. However, you couple that with the whole Nynaeve near-death experience and suddenly you have two spectacle for spectacles within moments of each other. So even if the Nynaeve death fake out was a cool effect (it wasn't really) it likely never could have stood up next to another big time cool, over the top effect to end the season. One of those areas where picking your spots on the somewhat cheesy/screenish over the top stuff is worth thinking about. Again though- much rather see this at the start than at the end.

I think it's also important to address the Nynaeve Supernova phenomenon. Was them killing like 10k trollocs good? No. As the review states it somewhat undermines the Trollocs that they can do that without a Sa or the Eye at this point in time. However, the idea that 5 woman channelers are an uber powerful is a good effect and especially regarding Nynaeve and I defintely don't mind that she got those immediate power visuals in the 1st season

Hide contents

Nynaeve has incredible feats throughout the books. If one were to call Rand the Luke Skywalker of WoT then Nynaeve very much was Leia- however a Leia that was much more fully realized than the OG trilogy Leia. In the show we know Rand is the DR, we know Perrin is gonna get wolfie, and we expect Mat to get the memories- which all help explain away some of their power spike. That never actually happens in the books that well in regards to Nynaeve. She's just kinda prodigious with the power. Not that it really gets explained in the show that well either, but to show that she has this crazy amount of power/talent from the get go definitely works for me considering what she'll be doing throughout the series. 

Yes exactly. We have seen Nynaeve explode with vast power, but she hasn't done ANY careful or intentional weaves. She has stumbled through and survived by the ta'veren stuff going on at this point she has power and pride but no learning or skill in controlling the power. And I think TG fight will be a major trauma for both her  and Egwene. 

It reminds me of the time I drove my Dad's car to my friend's house 12 miles away on country roads and made it home fine. I hadn't been taught. I just accidentally didn't die. It didn't mean I was a good driver or even "knew how" to drive. 

On 1/6/2022 at 2:17 PM, notpropaganda73 said:

Another really good balanced review here in my opinion

I really like what he says here.

"Of the three boys, i thought they all gave good performances for what they were given to act on".

"If you have 8 episodes, and you are lacking development of some of your main characters, why spend most of an entire episode following the plot of a character who doesn't exist in the books, who doesn't have relevance to the season, and who doesn't even setup a plot point for later seasons?"

Ergo, they writers didn't give them time to shine in the first season. 

he even points out what i say about the power creep. trollocs, the core of the dark ones army. are now trivialized.

39 minutes ago, Weird_Old_Lady said:

And I think TG fight will be a major trauma for both her  and Egwene. 

Yeah considering i don't recall any trauma from her after getting dragged around by a trolloc, Or from watching Lan almost die in front of her, and the way the rest of her season 1 story arc has gone I highly doubt we see anything of the sort. She has been built up since the beginning of the series as a Mary Sue of epic proportions. Nothing has slowed her down.

Edited by Cauthonfan4

55 minutes ago, Weird_Old_Lady said:

Yes exactly. We have seen Nynaeve explode with vast power, but she hasn't done ANY careful or intentional weaves. She has stumbled through and survived by the ta'veren stuff going on at this point she has power and pride but no learning or skill in controlling the power. And I think TG fight will be a major trauma for both her  and Egwene. 

It reminds me of the time I drove my Dad's car to my friend's house 12 miles away on country roads and made it home fine. I hadn't been taught. I just accidentally didn't die. It didn't mean I was a good driver or even "knew how" to drive. 

Agreed, I like comparing her explosion in the ways to how Moiraine is channeling. Nynaeve is flailing, ungrateful and clearly not in control. Moiraine is graceful, serene and precise and this is reflected in her weaves.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:00 AM, ArrylT said:

Just discovered another Breakdown video (and podcast) called WoTSpoilers.   About to check out Epi1 breakdown.   But apparently there is a a theory that in Ep3 (and this will be discussed in their Ep3 breakdown) the miners of Breens Spring are not mining ore, but AoL artifacts.

And of course don't forget DragonMount has its own podcast that discusses each episode.   I think they can be accessed both on the site & on YT. 

Between WoTSpoilers (I just finished their indepth 2h breakdown of Episode 3), The Wheel Takes Pod and a few others - apart from being quite enjoyable and done by people who have Wheel of Time knowledge & passion - it definitely helps as a reminder the depth and volume of care the show is giving to adapting the books.   Obviously we all see things differently, but for me, it is not like they are just throwing a few crumbs - it is more like layer upon layer of Wheel of Time references are built into the show.  

Edited by ArrylT

On 1/11/2022 at 12:14 AM, ArrylT said:

Between WoTSpoilers (I just finished their indepth 2h breakdown of Episode 3), The Wheel Takes Pod and a few others - apart from being quite enjoyable and done by people who have Wheel of Time knowledge & passion - it definitely helps as a reminder the depth and volume of care the show is giving to adapting the books.   Obviously we all see things differently, but for me, it is not like they are just throwing a few crumbs - it is more like layer upon layer of Wheel of Time references are built into the show.  

This one @Sir_Charrid