DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Character stats

Do we have rules or an idea on how our character's stats are made?  I know it was said they would be random but which stats are random and what stats does our backstory control or add to?  For example stealth or charisma abilities like lying or persuasion?  Are we mostly focusing on just combat stats and what is the likelihood that say our backstory says we're great at throwing knives but get a bad random score?  Also, do we have score numbers for these types of stats like we have for OP abilities.  Also, if you're still working on all this sorry, just excited to start.  If there is anything I can help with, let me know.

So far the only number scale made is for the One Power. 

Beyond that nothing else has been added to the game. I suspect the only other scale coming in is weapon Score, but that depends on what freelander and warders agree on.

Yeah, we don't want to D&D stat-sheet this too much ? One Power is the main one for channelers, and Weapons Scores will be decided on too, but I wish to talk to others who have experience. Initially I am inclined to make a 10-level WS (weapons score) grading system, where 10 is an absolute beginner and 1 is a Blademaster. But beyond that I would welcome input and thought about how well that could be implemented and how people would have their characters would improve their skill if desired. I plan on talking it over with @Kathleen but I welcome any thoughts on it from others, too!

Right now there are no plans to have any other scores. (I personally do like D&D sheets, but I don't think they work for this type of RP format ? )

Oops should have read the Weapon Score thread before I wrote this.

I like the 10 to 1 rule for non magic abilities.  I might suggest having more than just weapon stats but that could get out of hand.  I feel like WoT emphasized more than just weapon skills as a viable ability to both survive and hurt others.  There is so much to do with the OP with weaves and talents I feel like more than likely we will get more people interested in being an Aes Sedai than anything else.  Just spit balling so let me know if I'm reaching past my station.

For suggestions:

Might be fun to have some skills in subterfuge, especially if we use Daes Dae'mar or spy network at all.  It could be as basic as subterfuge and speech or as complex as slight of hand, sneak, deception, persuasion, diplomacy, insight, etc.  Might be worthwhile to throw in medicine if an Aes Sedai isn't around or if you want to use poison or make it more complex with a score for bandaging, surgery, poisons, herbalism, etc.

Edited by thehumantrashcan
removed the suggestions about weapon stats.

I like where you are going! Sadly, that kind of skillset is not nearly intuitive for newer players. 

However, I'm pretty keen on more than just "weapon scores" encompassing -all- weapons.

Though, how would you suggest leveling such things up?

….I think the system as I read it for weapon skill and op is more about getting reasonable distribution of skill and reasonable skill for your rank than resolving pc vs. pc scenes. So a complex rating system isn’t really needed unless, for example, we had a large group of nobles playing the game.

Edited by Kalen
Too much

3 hours ago, Kalen said:

….I think the system as I read it for weapon skill and op is more about getting reasonable distribution of skill and reasonable skill for your rank than resolving pc vs. pc scenes. So a complex rating system isn’t really needed unless, for example, we had a large group of nobles playing the game.

You are right.  However, with the use of darkfriends and black ajah/warders, we may need to have something very basic.  ie charisma and wisdom, maybe even combine them for a Wit stat when it comes to inter character conflicts like lying, charming, inspiring, convincing, diplomacy.  Maybe Physicality skill for anything physical that doesn't involve weapons.  I know it can get a little complex for new RPers so we could probably hold off implementing this.  Just a thought for 2 stats that could cover anything not involving a weapon.  I've seen through my years of TTRPGs that it's nice to have at least a little framework/stats to fall back on if players aren't confident in their RP abilities.

So far I'm happy with the rules regarding weapon skills.  With regard to leveling up, I like the idea of active role play and require x number of encounters that involve your weapon of choice/specialty.  I think they should increase the lower number you go so that way we don't have some people trying to pump out as much training or fights to get leveled up quickly.

17 hours ago, Arie said:

While I have my opinions, it does fall on how Kathleen and Jagen want to run things. Stats and skills are both fun and can get confusing really fast when the mechanics of the game pull away from just telling a story.

Agreed.  I've had one player that frequents my table that is an absolute power gamer and very light on the RP.  He honestly tends to break some games if I'm not careful as a GM as he tends to only care about stats and skills.

I really think most RPs can be resolved with some planning ahead of time. For example, you and another agree to do a thread where you know the characters might fight, you might need to agree on certain things ahead of time. I've seen a lot of people state RP limits and some people will have more than others. Like I could come up with some crazy scenario where my Aes Sedai is off-guard, gets rounded up by Whitecloaks, and is about to be "burned at the stake" but gets saved last minute somehow by a wolfkin and some others or some other Aes Sedai or... whatever XD It's an interesting scenerio, you get to potentially fight some NPCs, but in the end no one gets hurt (unless you want that to happen.)