DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Comparing Wheel of Time to other fantasy adaptations

LordyLord

On 3/4/2022 at 3:02 AM, Mailman said:

Speaking about other adaptations do people think  that WoT will cop additional backlash from the upcoming LoTR fallout.

Initial leaks and promotional materials are not looking good for the Rings of Power. As well as the disaster of the "superfans videos". Can easily see the anger flowing over into WoT whether it is deserved or not.

I think it can become more dead than it already is. Because right now there is still a string of hope in some, which i don't understand. But in my opinion the TV  series failed on all accounts and the way it is going it will dig a bigger grave. The show runner has 0 interest in the original story told by Jordan. He is creating his own fan fiction.

I recently finished watching season 2 of The Witcher. Big difference between that show and WoT. I think we can agree that both series are substantially different from the books to varying degrees.

The Witcher had me at the end of every episode wanting to watch the next one. What crazy creature is Geralt going to confront next? What plot or ploy is Yennifer going to get into next? What's going to happen to Ciri next? And I really can't think of show content that was unrelated to story being told.

WoT was totally different. Each episode, except for #2, had me wanting to stop watching right there, and I only watched the whole season because of my connection to the books. The show contained significant action/dialogue that was unrelated to the story. There were things that didn't even make sense within the context of any episode or the whole series, and things that were flat inconsistent.

I am very much looking forward to Witcher season 3, but definitely taking a pass on WoT season 2. It's just the writing.

1 hour ago, Pukel-man said:

I recently finished watching season 2 of The Witcher. Big difference between that show and WoT. I think we can agree that both series are substantially different from the books to varying degrees.

The Witcher had me at the end of every episode wanting to watch the next one. What crazy creature is Geralt going to confront next? What plot or ploy is Yennifer going to get into next? What's going to happen to Ciri next? And I really can't think of show content that was unrelated to story being told.

WoT was totally different. Each episode, except for #2, had me wanting to stop watching right there, and I only watched the whole season because of my connection to the books. The show contained significant action/dialogue that was unrelated to the story. There were things that didn't even make sense within the context of any episode or the whole series, and things that were flat inconsistent.

I am very much looking forward to Witcher season 3, but definitely taking a pass on WoT season 2. It's just the writing.

Sad how badly they screwed it up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 5:08 AM, Harad the White said:

Gormenghast

This was a trilogy by Mervyn Peake, adapted into a pretty good TV series with Christopher Lee, Stephen Fry, (veterans of LoTR/Hobbit), Celia Imre, Fiona Shaw (Harry Potter) among others in a great cast. The interesting thing about the books is that the first two books (covered in the TV series) were straightforward but Gothic fantasy. The last book veered off into psychedelia and never saw the light of TV day.

Aha! I thought I was the only person still alive who had seen it!

It was generally rather good I thought, although Rhys-Meyers didn't convince as Steerpike for me, the rest of the cast was remarkable, others included Warren Mitchell and John Sessions. It lacked somewhat for budget as the sets really weren't very good.

Gormenghast is one of the great works of fantasy IMO.

• Community Administrator
On 3/31/2022 at 3:07 PM, DojoToad said:

So The Witcher was a book series before the video games?  Interesting.

Yes... It was never a secret the games were based off the books...

And "The Witcher" isn't even the first tv show.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher#Film_and_television

On 3/29/2022 at 4:17 PM, DavyDrones said:

I think it can become more dead than it already is. Because right now there is still a string of hope in some, which i don't understand. But in my opinion the TV  series failed on all accounts and the way it is going it will dig a bigger grave. The show runner has 0 interest in the original story told by Jordan. He is creating his own fan fiction.

This.

On 3/31/2022 at 2:31 PM, Skipp said:

Except the Section of Witcher book fans who have similar complaints against the show as we see posted here about WoT.

Hopefully we will see WoT improve upon Season 1 much like Witcher Season 2 did but hey I am a fan of both shows.

The Witcher is watchable. It has a smaller cast and better actors. The adaptation is recognizable.

WoT has a huge cast, spends no time developing the core characters, the writers make up entire plotlines and showcase minor characters while shorting the main leads.

The entire purpose of EOTW was to introduce the core characters and set the events of the series. The fact that they took time to go to Tar'Valon, introduce Logain, the warder funeral etc took away any ability for people to get to know the core characters and care about their journey.

The writers are more interested in telling their "modern" take than doing justice to the story or characters.

On 4/25/2022 at 9:18 AM, Jaccsen said:

The writers are more interested in telling their "modern" take than doing justice to the story or characters.

Yup. IMHO, WOT was at its best when focused on Rand, but the story Amazon and Rafe want to tell us is going to focus much more on the female characters, shift more of the key events to those characters, and lean into the “modern” stuff. I kinda suspect this was actually Rafe’s pitch to Amazon. Some of the readership are enjoying that. Some are not. I personally find it very disappointing. 

This isn’t anything close to the Jackson’s LOTR adaptation. Or even Witcher. This is a story “inspired by” RJ’s WOT

Edited by WoTwasThat